• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Kim extremely confident in first-party vs. Sony

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't know why people are under estimating Sony's first party, we already seen the PS3 ratchet and clank also naughty dog's new game. Then there is wipeout using motorstorm's engine with hopefully find your friends online play. God of War 3 is definitely coming to ps3, that is already in cement. Microsoft's first party is good and becoming solid but do not count out Sony. Heck GT5 still has some next gen gas to show.

What is shocking is that this is the first time Sony and Microsoft's first parties might just be better than nintendo's?

Think about it, Zelda TP didn't exactly rock the world like God of war 2 recently.

Andy787 said:
Seriously, what do your remarks have to do with the games? Calling All Cars looks like a great game. Is it not going to be fun because of its price? Is LittleBigPlanet not going to be an amazing new experience because it is not a larger retail product?

Are you high? Stop being stupid. Woody Allen deserves better representation.

When you start listing demos and arcade titles... the response will then start listing the Halo 3 beta, Shadowrun Beta, Castle Crashers.... ect.

The point is... lets stay focused on retail games. Thats all.

LJ11

You're just going to get bogged down in semantics with that "150 games" comment. How many are PSN only? How many are mini-games like Super-Rub-A-Dub? It's not worth debating.

JB1981

LJ11 said:
You're just going to get bogged down in semantics with that "150 games" comment. How many are PSN only? How many are mini-games like Super-Rub-A-Dub? It's not worth debating.

That's probably true. But when some of those games include stuff like Warhawk and the new Team Ico then it gets even muddier. ;)

Karma Kramer said:
When you start listing demos and arcade titles... the response will then start listing the Halo 3 beta, Shadowrun Beta, Castle Crashers.... ect.

He's right. While they may be great games, they aren't "real" or retail. No one's listing XBLA games here.

chriskzoo

Banned
Oblivion said:
I seem to recall an article saying something about that 150 games comment, but no ****ing way in hell is that true. I mean I don't think there were even 1/3 of that many games published by Sony on the PS2. And we're expected to believe it's going to more than triple with rising costs and the like?

I'm not sure that this is complete, but here are the titles they own - and with all the sequels, that's way more than 50 games.

picture1sh9.png

LJ11 said:

None of those 150 games matter in this discussion until they are announced. Going by what we know now, especially re: 2007, Shane Kim's remarks are reasonable.

It's still obviously personal taste in the end so mileage may vary.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They own Sky Odyssey?

Um, why is there not a second with Sixaxis support? Stupid sony.

Scotch

As much as I liked Ed Fries, I can't help but feel him getting fired/leaving(?) was the best thing that could happen at MGS. Shane Kim is doing an excellent job.

chriskzoo

Banned
UncleGuito said:
He's right. While they may be great games, they aren't "real" or retail. No one's listing XBLA games here.

I would say there's a HUGE difference between XBLA and PSN titles. XBLA is 90% ports of old arcade games, while PSN is clearly going for new IP for the most part.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
chriskzoo said:
I'm not sure that this is complete, but here are the titles they own - and with all the sequels, that's way more than 50 games.

picture1sh9.png

I was talking about the PS2 when I made that comment. What you showed includes every franchise Sony has done and has planned so far for every system.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Yeah think shane try to hard
Sony first party is superior at microsoft first party even if microsoft make progress.

LJ11

Emenis said:
No offense.. but then why did you feel the need to bring it up?

I didn't, I said people should leave it alone, re-read my post.

Sorry Kryptonian, mis-read you.

Tobor

a Master Ninja said:
Shane Kim's response to the "Zephyr" question makes me think an announcement is coming very soon.

Agreed. Reading the quote it sounded like he was going to pull a Zephyr out from under the table right there.

chriskzoo said:
I would say there's a HUGE difference between XBLA and PSN titles. XBLA is 90% ports of old arcade games, while PSN is clearly going for new IP for the most part.

Whats your point? Old games aren't fun?

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
:lol i love this part:

BIZ: Nintendo had a very successful holiday with a great start for the Wii, and that had to have taken away some sales from the 360. Are you worried about all the positive buzz for Nintendo possibly stealing market share or even just mind share from MS?

SK: I'm not worried about it. I think you have to acknowledge that they've done a great job and anybody who's been around for a long time is always going to have a soft spot in their heart for Nintendo. I mean, most gamers grew up with Nintendo so I think a lot of people are pulling for Nintendo to be successful in their own right. And certainly they've done a really great job with the DS business and Wii has resonated with a segment of the audience we're interested in, we care a lot about, because in order to reach our aspirations we've got to win with that audience as well. So, I'm not worried about it; I'm also not surprised by it and I think we have to do a better job appealing to that same customer segment. We should all recognize that there's just some competitive advantages that Nintendo has that with that audience. I know Wii is a next-gen console for Nintendo, but whether or not it's a true next-gen competitor in the console space is a different question. And again, I think we can really craft a great value offering to customers that today are gravitating towards either Wii or, frankly, even PS2 today. If I were Sony, I'd be a little bit more worried that PS2 continues to sell so well while you can find the PS3s in stores.

BIZ: It's funny because you mention PS2 selling well and that they should be worried doing so well while the PS3 is off to, some would say, a slow start. But on the other hand they say that you guys should be worried because the PS2 has been outselling the 360. How do you respond to that?

SK: I think frankly that's a ridiculous comparison. I've seen that many times from Sony execs and I think that's ridiculous. I mean, it's $129! I mean, if that's how you want to compete, fine. [snickers] What matters is that we outsold Wii and PS3 combined in December. That's what matters. We dramatically outsold PS3 head-to-head and when you compare our first party portfolios and what our prospects are going forward, I mean Xbox Live over PlayStation Network etc, etc... that's the more important comparison. I mean, yeah, if we sold Xbox 360 for $129 and they outsold us with PS2s, then I'd be a little bit more worried

jvm

Gamasutra.
chriskzoo said:
Don't tease me like that. I know they'll never bring back Blasto... ;^)

Andy787

Banned
Karma Kramer said:

I did not list any demos, and an "arcade" title is a very different thing in Sony's strategy than Microsoft's. Sony's are first party, for one. But on top of that, they feature higher production values, more polish, and, as I think we'll be seeing a lot more of coming down the pike, have world-class, incredibly talented developers behind them. I think an experimental game from the likes of Naughty Dog or Team Ico or Polyphony Digital is a lot more interesting than Worms and Root Beer Tapper.

Also, note that I did not intend to play "list warz." I listed a bunch of games from Sony coming out this year that look great. There are also a bunch of Microsoft titles coming out this year that look great.

Andy787 said:
I did not list any demos, and an "arcade" title is a very different thing in Sony's strategy than Microsoft's. Sony's are first party, for one. But on top of that, they feature higher production values, more polish, and, as I think we'll be seeing a lot more of coming down the pike, have world-class, incredibly talented developers behind them. I think an experimental game from the likes of Naughty Dog or Team Ico or Polyphony Digital is a lot more interesting than Worms and Root Beer Tapper.

Also, note that I did not intend to play "list warz." I listed a bunch of games from Sony coming out this year that look great. There are also a bunch of Microsoft titles coming out this year that look great.

but is it more fun? cause fun is what counts right?

jk :D

alright whatever man... I was simply trying to put in some words of advice. You start listing shit... and there will be a war.

B-Ri

Andy787 said:

read this well kids. PSN games are on a different field then the arcade rehashes XBLA gets.

LittleBigPlanet IS NOT A DEMO! kthx.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Anyways, MS has got a killer brotherhood of 1st-party titles coming out this year. And look at how they're positioned for release -- the latter half of this year is going to be like no other.

chriskzoo

Banned
Lagaff said:
:lol i love this part:

BIZ: It's funny because you mention PS2 selling well and that they should be worried doing so well while the PS3 is off to, some would say, a slow start. But on the other hand they say that you guys should be worried because the PS2 has been outselling the 360. How do you respond to that?

SK: I think frankly that's a ridiculous comparison. I've seen that many times from Sony execs and I think that's ridiculous. I mean, it's $129! I mean, if that's how you want to compete, fine. [snickers] What matters is that we outsold Wii and PS3 combined in December. That's what matters. We dramatically outsold PS3 head-to-head and when you compare our first party portfolios and what our prospects are going forward, I mean Xbox Live over PlayStation Network etc, etc... that's the more important comparison. I mean, yeah, if we sold Xbox 360 for $129 and they outsold us with PS2s, then I'd be a little bit more worried

Wait, so Sony should be worried that PS2 is outselling PS3, but it's ridiculous to compare those same PS2 sales to 360 sales?

head-scratch.jpg

UncleGuito said:
I agree. This year is great for Microsoft and the lineup spread throughout the year is consistently great. All of Sony's heavy hitters are coming late this year (and not much before that), which is why I haven't gotten a PS3 yet. I'm not too sure about the Wii's though...

2007 Retail games (awesome from both):

1st Party Highlights for 360: Mass Effect (woot), Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Forza 2, Halo 3, Alan Wake (hopefully), Banjo Kazooie (woot), Shadowrun (meh)

1st Party Highlights for PS3: MGS4 (woot), R&C (woot), Ninja Gaiden, DMC4 (woot), Tekken 6

Hmm.. the only first party game there is R & C the rest is third party???

Mifune

Mehmber
B-Ri said:
read this well kids. PSN games are on a different field then the arcade rehashes XBLA gets.

LittleBigPlanet IS NOT A DEMO! kthx.

flow and Super Rub-a-Dub are on a different field, all right.

Both networks will get gold and crap. Based on what's actually coming out, I think it's a wash, despite Sony's PR musings to the contrary.

LittleBigPlanet is not the rule yet.

Andy787

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
but is it more fun? cause fun is what counts right?

jk :D

alright whatever man... I was simply trying to put in some words of advice. You start listing shit... and there will be a war.
I come in peace. I love the 360. But I think credit should be given where it's due, and Sony's games deserve it. I think you just want to argue regardless of what I say.

rage1973

DreamMachine said:
Hmm.. the only first party game there is R & C the rest is third party???
Yeah that's a terrible list.
Alan Wake and Banjo Kazooie is not coming out in 2007 either.
PS3 has Lair, MLB:The Show, Ratchet and Clank(maybe), Warhawk, Singstar, Heavenly Sword I think planned for this year.

rage1973 said:
Yeah that's a terrible list.
Alan Wake and Banjo Kazooie is not coming out in 2007 either.
PS3 has Lair, MLB:The Show, Ratchet and Clank(maybe), Warhawk, Singstar, Heavenly Sword I think planned for this year.
Hahah, I always seem to get third party and first party mixed up. Edited for my retardedness.

rage1973

Andy787 said:
I come in peace. I love the 360. But I think credit should be given where it's due, and Sony's games deserve it. I think you just want to argue regardless of what I say.
I don't think anyone can argue that original Xbox has terrible first party support and Sony's PS2 first party was great. Outside Halo series there wasn't any mega hits but they did start a solid foundation for Fable, PGR, and Forza series. Now they signed up numerous second party to create Microsoft published game for them. This strategy seems to be working well rather and I have a feeling Microsoft will wind up purchasing several more dev houses this generation to add to their stable.

UncleGuito said:
I agree. This year is great for Microsoft and the lineup spread throughout the year is consistently great. All of Sony's heavy hitters are coming late this year (and not much before that), which is why I haven't gotten a PS3 yet. I'm not too sure about the Wii's though...

1st Party Highlights for 360: Mass Effect (woot), Blue Dragon (woot), Lost Odyssey, Forza 2, Halo 3, Alan Wake (hopefully), Banjo Kazooie (woot), Shadowrun (meh)

1st Party Highlights for PS3: MGS4 (woot), R&C (woot), Warhawk, Lair, Heavenly Sword (woot)

Did you just list a buch of 3rd party games and...holy shit fast edit. But MGS4 is still 3rd party. Some others you mentioned were Ninja Gaiden and DMC.

rage1973 said:
I don't think anyone can argue that original Xbox has terrible first party support and Sony's PS2 first party was great. Outside Halo series there wasn't any mega hits but they did start a solid foundation for Fable, PGR, and Forza series. Now they signed up numerous second party to create Microsoft published game for them. This strategy seems to be working well rather and I have a feeling Microsoft will wind up purchasing several more dev houses this generation to add to their stable.
I don't think anything will ever end up beating the PS2's library or 1st party lineup. I thought the original Xbox was horrible, but the 360 is doing a really nice job so far.

In other news, what ever happened to Zipper announcing a new Socom? I thought they were supposed to announce one last E3 or something according to 1up.

J-Rzez

UncleGuito said:
Hahah, I always seem to get third party and first party mixed up. Edited for my retardedness.

Uncharted is coming out this year, and supposedly GT Prologue is coming out this year as well... And it's kinda unfair to discredit something like Warhawk because it's a PSN... From the sounds of it, it's turning out to be a disc quality game that's up for digital distribution, also, it's going to be disc based as well possibly... It's only Online capable, but it's fully featured...

In other news, what ever happened to Zipper announcing a new Socom? I thought they were supposed to announce one last E3 or something according to 1up.

We know Zipper is working on something, they just didn't announce anything yet... My guess is they may sit on that one until early next year... Warhawk will be a huge Online title, they may want to spread it out a lil... but I want my Socom NOW!

UncleGuito said:

1st Party Highlights for 360: Mass Effect (woot), Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Forza 2, Halo 3, Alan Wake (hopefully), Banjo Kazooie (woot), Shadowrun (meh)

1st Party Highlights for PS3: MGS4 (woot), R&C (woot), Ninja Gaiden, DMC4 (woot), Tekken 6

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147121

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Microsoft seems to have the best first-party line-up, and plan. If they can keep up with having about one first party game a month for awhile, they will do great.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
UncleGuito said:

1st Party Highlights for 360: Mass Effect (woot), Blue Dragon (woot), Lost Odyssey, Forza 2, Halo 3, Alan Wake (hopefully), Banjo Kazooie (woot), Shadowrun (meh)

1st Party Highlights for PS3: Ratchet & Clank (woot), Warhawk, Lair, Heavenly Sword (woot), Singstar

Ever heard of Warhawk and Lair?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Karma Kramer said:
One is a demo and the other is a $5 arcade title...

I will admit the other games you listed look good... but come on. If you are going to do list warz do it properly.

Little Big Planet is every bit a great game as the other 360 games that guy listed. That game is more than a demo. It's a great concept and seems to be possibly a very great game.

Top Bottom