• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You gotta love the PSP homebrew scene (Best homebrew EVER!)

This has got to be the most awesome thing to have ever happen on the PSP. Ok maybe the second best thing, the PS1 emu being the first :p

Anyway a new version of RemoteJoy has just been released and not only does allow you to control your PSP with a keyboard or gamepad, this new version allows you to play your PSP on you PC monitor. FREAKING AWESOME! :D

(Yes, it works in fullscreen too :D )

Some games have issues, mainly when loading/saving and during loadscreens, but heck, its freaking awesome for a first beta release!

One trick you can if your having problems is to disconnect the USB cable when it crashes and connect again afterwards, usually works.

You can get this here: http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/05/17/remotejoy-psp-video-out-via-usb/

My compatibility list:
* - Unplayable
** - Playable but with major problems
*** - Playable with some problems
**** - Works perfectly

GTA: Liberty City Stories: - **
Crashes while saving/loading, runs at 8fps

Ace Combat X - ***
Crashes while saving/loading/loading a level, runs with a smooth framerate

Burnout Legends - *
Crashes while saving/loading/loading a level/randomly during races, runs a bit slow (for the few seconds that it works that is)

Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai Another Road - *
Does not boot.

Bomberman - ***
Crashes while saving/loading, runs almost smoothly (23fps)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That might be worth playing around with if there isn't any latency or anything, during gaming.

But I'm more excited by having finally been able to install the complete Ultimate Black theme on my 3.40 OE-A PSP!

Souther

Banned
I remember when i had a PSP a long time ago and it was the FW 1.50...Was goodtimes...

now if i picked up a PSP i wouldn't even know where to start

Matix

Sadly I don't have a homebrew compatible PSP, but this does sound pretty awesome regardless. Also is the procedure in setting this up sorta complex, or pretty straight forward?!

Mejilan said:
That might be worth playing around with if there isn't any latency or anything, during gaming.

But I'm more excited by having finally been able to install the complete Ultimate Black theme on my 3.40 OE-A PSP!

There is some delay, but you can hardly notice it, it helps if you set the CPU to 333, and that isn't really an issue since your connecting to the PC chances are you can also connect the PSP to the power plug :p

Btw, Black theme + PS3 style waves = awesome :p

I'm using some blue waves now though:
trueblue.jpg

Matix said:
Sadly I don't have a homebrew compatible PSP, but this does sound pretty awesome regardless. Also is the procedure in setting this up sorta complex, or pretty straight forward?!

Well, the instructions fail to tell you important stuff, like the fact the plugins boot automatically when you start a game :p, but once you know what to do its pretty straight forward.

bluemax

Banned
Mejilan said:

What is this theme you speak of?

Also yeah I might try this at work next week, is it compatible with the PS1 emulator?

Mejilan

Theme is a replacement for the default XMB look. If your PSP can run the theme, then it can run the theme. It has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of homebrew.

Oh hell yeah, my computer is my 'home base' for all electronics. I have cords dangling in a group over my desk for charging (and syncing) my iPod, PSP, DS, and GBmicro.

How do I get PS3 waves on my Ultimate Black theme? Please tell me!

Mejilan

Sorry for not being clear. I know HOW to apply the wave, just wasn't sure where to get it! Yeah, I have a 'virgin' backup of my flash0 already, before I started replacing any of the sounds, fonts, background images, icons, etc.

The Faceless Master said:
so does this work on any of the PS3 Linux distros?
There is a linux version, not sure on the specific distros though, but seeing as the PS3 Linux doesn't have RSX support i doubt you'll be able to get this working properly :p

Anyway, instructions for linux here: http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4292

neptunes said:
You punks never gave my thread a chance ;_;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155709

Crap, i am extremely sorry :S I honestly never noticed that thread :p

Mejilan

Thanks again Metalmurphy.

Anyone know which of the custom theme icons stores the sound effects data. I want to use the Ultimate Black full theme (3.40 OE-A version) as a base. I'm going to replace it's wave with the PS3 wave I just downloaded. Problem is, I don't like the new sound effects included with Ultimate Black, and I'd like to leave that file out, which I imagine would then keep the PSP's sounds effects at their defaults.

neptunes

agent069 said:
Sound intersteting, especially considering how poor the stick and dpad on the PSP are :)
I don't think you can re-map the analog stick

Just the d-pad and face buttons when I tried it last.

Yoboman

Souther said:
I remember when i had a PSP a long time ago and it was the FW 1.50...Was goodtimes...

now if i picked up a PSP i wouldn't even know where to start
Somebody here should really start a homebrew introduction thread for DS and PSP for people like us. Mainly for PSP, because while there is a homebrew thread, it's ridiculously hard to learn anything from it.

Mejilan said:
Thanks again Metalmurphy.

Anyone know which of the custom theme icons stores the sound effects data. I want to use the Ultimate Black full theme (3.40 OE-A version) as a base. I'm going to replace it's wave with the PS3 wave I just downloaded. Problem is, I don't like the new sound effects included with Ultimate Black, and I'd like to leave that file out, which I imagine would then keep the PSP's sounds effects at their defaults.

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about75053.html
I know they skip the Sound parts but there tools there to edit the rcos and see what's inside them. Sound effects are stored in several files so you'll have to look for the ones you need.

neptunes said:
I don't think you can re-map the analog stick

Just the d-pad and face buttons when I tried it last.

Theres a PS2.map config file that has some digital / analog entries so they might work now. I'll have to try this tomorrow.

Mejilan

Nevermind. I got it!

Success. Now I'm running a custom version of Ultimate Black. All of the elements of regular Ultimate Black minus the sounds (back to default PSP sounds) and the wave (replaced by the PS3 wave).

Awesomeness.

Dali

Wow looks pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting a handheld with all the Square stuff coming to DS and PSP, but haven't decided on which one to get. I won't make the purchase until the end of the year, but PSP homebrew is keeping it in the running with DS.

Anyway, what does the fullscreen look like? I imagine like fullscreening a youtube video, amirite?

Mejilan

theBishop said:
I must be the only one who uses my PSP to play PSP games...

Hey, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to snap-up my PSP and launch games from a beautiful and stylish interface.

:lol

Thanks for the heads up about this program. It looks like it'll be fun to mess with. So many things to customize on the PSP.

4pn22xk.jpg

shuri

Banned
Yoboman said:
Somebody here should really start a homebrew introduction thread for DS and PSP for people like us. Mainly for PSP, because while there is a homebrew thread, it's ridiculously hard to learn anything from it.
yeah, i'm lost myself and i would really like to get some pointers.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm all over this whenever it works with Windows.

EDIT: The PSP-Hacks download page says it works with Windows! :D :D :D

Mejilan

shuri said:
yeah, i'm lost myself and i would really like to get some pointers.

You can do a search WITHIN our PSP homebrew threads for tutorials, or just hit up the maxconsole.net PSP forums, which have subdivided boards for various PSP homebrew categories, and stickied tutorials within.

Crypto

Banned
I actually did try PSP homebrew a while ago. I didn't find it appealing or amazing at all.

Since then I just keep up to date with the latest Sony homebrew, not interested in what has been done.

Now... Xbox 1 modding was the best I think. That did some amazing things.

Mejilan

At least you got a relatively good deal. And who knows, perhaps 3.40 will get cracked within the next few months. Maybe.

Schrade

Metalmurphy said:
This has got to be the most awesome thing to have ever happen on the PSP. Ok maybe the second best thing, the PS1 emu being the first :p

Anyway a new version of RemoteJoy has just been released and not only does allow you to control your PSP with a keyboard or gamepad, this new version allows you to play your PSP on you PC monitor. FREAKING AWESOME! :D

(Yes, it works in fullscreen too :D )

Some games have issues, mainly when loading/saving and during loadscreens, but heck, its freaking awesome for a first beta release!

One trick you can if your having problems is to disconnect the USB cable when it crashes and connect again afterwards, usually works.

You can get this here: http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/05/17/remotejoy-psp-video-out-via-usb/
The guy who made the RemoteJoySDL GUI just used my compiled Cygwin versions of RemoteJoy SDL and the Batch Files/Tutorials/ReadMes I made. I was able to port Tyranid's Linux apps and make them work under Windows using Cygwin.

You can see the original release thread here on MaxConsole:
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=61117

In the first post of that thread I just linked to there's a listing of keyboard keys you can press in the RemoteJoySDL window. Take note of the Screenshot one (saves a screenshot in the RemoteJoy folder) and also you can turn toggle FPS display and also turn off/on the RemoteJoySDL display. (Rather than unplugging/replugging in the USB connection to get around games that lock up - doesn't always work though)

All his GUI does is run my batch scripts heh. Anyhow, it was Tyranid who did all the wonderful work making PSPLinkUSB and RemoteJoy/RemoteJoySDL. Wonderful little programs.

cedric69

I don't see how this could be defined the best homebrew.

A way to play games in a fixed setup on a portable console? Talk about illogical achievement.

How can this "rank" higher than portable emulation, for instance?

Ian

Scalemail Ted said:
Use a standard controller? Connect to a monitor? You might as well just buy a PS2 then, no?
There is no nerdcred++ in simply buying a console.

Kuran

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
allow you to control your PSP with a keyboard or gamepad, this new version allows you to play your PSP on you PC monitor. FREAKING AWESOME! :D

Is this also something I need a Windows or Linux machine for? I'm a Mac user and i've been dreaming of the ability to somehow use usb joypads on my PSP.. is this working at the moment?

cedric69 said:
I don't see how this could be defined the best homebrew.

A way to play games in a fixed setup on a portable console? Talk about illogical achievement.

How can this "rank" higher than portable emulation, for instance?
I didn't :p
"Ok maybe the second best thing, the PS1 emu being the first :p"

And the great thing about this is beeing able to play on a big screen, with another joypad or keyboard. That my friend is awesome. I've been playing Ace Combat X on my 19" monitor and its freaking awesome!
Scalemail Ted said:
Use a standard controller? Connect to a monitor? You might as well just buy a PS2 then, no?
I can't play LocoRoco on my PS2 :S
Lee N said:
I get "connection refused" when trying to run the remotejoy application on PC.
Hum, connection refused? Thats a new one, make sure firewall isn't blocking the app cause it binds some port (not sure on the exact port) on the ip 127.0.0.1 (localhost)

Lee N

Membre
Metalmurphy said:
Hum, connection refused? Thats a new one, make sure firewall isn't blocking the app cause it binds some port (not sure on the exact port) on the ip 127.0.0.1 (localhost)
I don't use a software firewall..

black_13

Banned
is there anyway yet to connect the PSP to a TV by any chance using AV cables? I heard something about this a while ago but never caught up to it.

i mainly wanna connect it to my in dash car screen.

Lee N said:
Yes.

edit: I got a bit further now.. not it's connected but says "bind: address already in use"

I get that error when i run 2 USBHostFS at the same time, so make sure you aren't doing the same mistake. Also here's a list of ports used with Remotejoy. Use netstat to see if you have any program using the same ports

untitled1rd5.jpg

untitled2cw7.jpg

untitled3ag0.jpg

Top Bottom