• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
ggnoobIGN said:
By not biased, he meant biased.

Well, yeah, I figured that, but the list actually looked pretty reasonable with the exception of missing Sonic. (At least, based on impressions so far.)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I watched the Lucas action in that Gametrailers video very closely.

PK Thunder seems identical to Melee. Maybe the thunder dash gets a bit more distance, but it's hard to say.

PK Freeze looks awesome. It looks like it goes much faster than PK Flash ever did. PK Fire has a lot more power behind it than it did before. It's got more range and speed, definitely. There's even a bit of knockback when Lucas casts it.

His A button moves look pretty impressive as well. I like the midair flip kick. Overall, his attacks seem to come out much swifter than Ness'.

As for other aspects, I loved the Mario vs. Sonic match in the beginning. It was a pretty close one. Sonic's down-A in the air (at least, that's what I'm assuming that delayed downward jump-kick is supposed to be) looks pretty lethal on high percent foes.

It's kind of disappointing to know that the Delfino Plaza song is unremixed, but it would have taken a miracle worker to make that song sound good anyway. The new Zelda theme arrangement is nice.

And seeing all this Smash action makes me want the game so very, very badly.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Iam Canadian said:

PK Thunder seems identical to Melee. Maybe the thunder dash gets a bit more distance, but it's hard to say.

PK Freeze looks awesome. It looks like it goes much faster than PK Flash ever did. PK Fire has a lot more power behind it than it did before. It's got more range and speed, definitely. There's even a bit of knockback when Lucas casts it.

His A button moves look pretty impressive as well. I like the midair flip kick. Overall, his attacks seem to come out much swifter than Ness'.

As for other aspects, I loved the Mario vs. Sonic match in the beginning. It was a pretty close one. Sonic's down-A in the air (at least, that's what I'm assuming that delayed downward jump-kick is supposed to be) looks pretty lethal on high percent foes.

It's kind of disappointing to know that the Delfino Plaza song is unremixed, but it would have taken a miracle worker to make that song sound good anyway. The new Zelda theme arrangement is nice.

Dude are you serious, that PK Thunder range was massive. Look at 00:55, he covers the entire Delfino platform in one shot.

And holy shit, PK Freeze looks insane, even comparing it to Flash is an insult. He makes it go from one side of Smashville to the other, it's faster than Thunder and it actually speeds up as it goes. Crazy.

Iam Canadian said:

The Thunder itself seems to have a much smaller turning radius, making it easier for Lucas to launch himself.

Iam Canadian said:

I love that song as it is. :D

Iam Canadian said:
Ditto, especially since my group of friends has just recently really gotten into Melee. We play it every day, and every day while I'm playing I just want to be playing Brawl. They're sick of me talking about it. They'll be used to it by March, I expect.

Am I hearing NEW orchestrated tracks in that footage? That's a pretty huge relief. I was afraid the only orchestrated stuff would be the main theme, Snake's theme and recycled Melee stuff.

Iam Canadian

Zek said:
Dude are you serious, that PK Thunder range was massive. Look at 00:55, he covers the entire Delfino platform in one shot.

Watching it again and comparing it to Melee, you're right. I was either thinking of Smash 64, or I had just forgotten how badly PK Thunder had been nerfed in Melee.

Zek said:
And holy shit, PK Freeze looks insane, even comparing it to Flash is an insult. He makes it go from one side of Smashville to the other, it's faster than Thunder and it actually speeds up as it goes. Crazy.

I was only comparing it to Flash because some people apparently thought that PK Freeze was PK Flash with a new graphic. And it does have its similarities, but PK Freeze is like everything PK Flash should have been.

I think that Sonic, Diddy, and Meta Knight will end up being the best newcomers, possibly with Lucas in there too. I'd love to see somebody truly master Olimar, though.

Jiggy

I'm thinking that either the game will be supremely well-balanced or Meta Knight, Sonic, and Snake will be the best newcomers in that order.
Edit: Of the newcomers known from the Dojo rather than from the spoilers, naturally. >_>

Ness was my main in 64 and melee and im crazy with him. Lucas looks ten times better so I cannot wait to use him. Snake, Sonic or Olimar will be my backup though.

Meloche

Firestorm said:
Top Tier
Meta Knight
Young Link
Sheik
Ice Climbers

Bottom Tier
Everything else

this is not biased
The removal of the wavedash will probably hurt the ICs a little, but I have a hard time seeing how they'd remove all the de-synchs that you can do, which really make up most of the advanced IC game. Looking forward to seeing if they can still do an infinite grab in Brawl like they can in Melee. :0)

Obviously you were just listing your favourites, but it will be interesting to see how the tiers shape up a year from now -- will Fox maintain his high tier placing for the third game in a row? Only time will tell! Also, I'm really glad to see that Lucas' up+b recovery is closer to Ness' from SSB64 than in Melee. Hopefully Ness will regain his awesome range if he returns as well.

Struct09 said:
Not sure if it's old or not, but Kirby's final smash got a giggle out of me
Yeah, me too. Unbalanced or not, I'll definitely be playing with FS on for a while just for the novelty and hilarity of it all.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I'm thinking that either the game will be supremely well-balanced or Meta Knight, Sonic, and Snake will be the best newcomers in that order.
Edit: Of the newcomers known from the Dojo rather than from the spoilers, naturally. >_>

You know, in the videos I've seen, Snake actually didn't impress me much. He seems kind of slow for my tastes, and his jump doesn't fill me with confidence.

However, that's just me. I'm sure that there will be people doing amazing things with him once the game's out.

Jiggy

Main: Jigglypuff if in (better be in!)
Secondary mains: Kirby, Meta Knight, Ivysaur, Zelda, Charizard, King Dedede, Captain Falcon if in
Tertiary mains: Ice Climbers, Sheik, Luigi (don't even tell me I need to qualify this with "if in" :p), Ganondorf (likewise), Falco if in
Primary secondaries: Pikachu
Secondary secondaries: Lucas (may move next to Pikachu), Olimar, Mr. Game & Watch if in
Primary tertiaries: Mario, Diddy Kong
Secondary tertiaries: Samus, Bowser, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Snake, Ike, Squirtle, Sonic
Tertiary tertiaries: Link, Fox, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario

Pending actually playing them, of course; if (for example) Dedede, Ivysaur, and Charizard suck at fighting while Pit, Olimar, and Diddy Kong are super crazy awesome, that'll change things quite a bit. Or maybe it would. I kind of like Dedede/Ivysaur/Charizard enough that I'd probably still try to make the best of them anyway.

Iam Canadian said:
You know, in the videos I've seen, Snake actually didn't impress me much. He seems kind of slow for my tastes, and his jump doesn't fill me with confidence.

However, that's just me. I'm sure that there will be people doing amazing things with him once the game's out.
I'll probably almost never play as him, personally, but I think he's got all the necessary tools to be a strong character. But more importantly than that, I'm banking on Sakurai ensuring that the third-party characters are, no matter what, not underpowered relative to the rest of the cast.

Iam Canadian

Meloche said:
Obviously you were just listing your favourites, but it will be interesting to see how the tiers shape up a year from now -- will Fox maintain his high tier placing for the third game in a row?

Was Fox really high tier in the first game? I admit that I'm not that diligent on keeping up with this stuff, but I was under the impression that Fox was kind of middling in the first game with Ness, Kirby, and Pikachu dominating the first game.

Meloche said:
Yeah, me too. Unbalanced or not, I'll definitely be playing with FS on for a while just for the novelty and hilarity of it all.

That Final Smash is pure nostalgia for me (Kirby Super Star for the eternal win. :D).

Triple Update - Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish, Stage Builder: Part 2 (detailing the ability to create Multi-Man Melee stages, Race to the Finish stages, Board the Platforms stages, etc.).

Fireblend

Banned
Iwata asks! 3 said:
…Replay. Replay enables players to record one entire match and replay it. That way, for example, you can play Target Smash!! mode and send a recording to your friends proving that "hey man, I cleared this in just 5 seconds!" Of course, you can also use this for memorable Brawls and such.

Wait, I thought they had limited it to a certain amount of minutes? Now you can save the whole match? Megaton!

Jiggy

Fireblend said:
Wait, I thought they had limited it to a certain amount of minutes? Now you can save the whole match? Megaton!
The other great thing I took from that interview is that apparently the Spectator matches are uploaded by users. :eek: That isn't quite what the Dojo had me believing (to stay on-topic :D), but it's awesome news nonetheless... People will probably be putting up their very best, so there might be some great stuff to watch, as opposed to just seeing random scrubs and whatnot. >_>

JoeFu

Banned
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but in the gametrailers footage there is a Fire Emblem song that we haven't heard yet :)

Jiggy

Yeah, it's the FE7 battle theme. And it's making me hope even harder for my Lyn/Hector/Eliwood theme. Oh please oh please. D:

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Gotta get in my prediction with 5 minutes left to go!

Gonna say Zero Suit Samus final smashy!

All I ask for online play is that there's a simple "re-match" button for anonymous play. I've never been a fan of voice chat anyway. I find the best communication happens through unspoken in-game actions.

But if I discover a bit of a rivalry with a player, I'd love to be able to play another match with him if he's willing. The odds of us coming online again at the same time are slim anyway, so I don't care about adding him to a friends list or some shit. Just let us play together as long as we want to. Kind of like the way Phantom Hourglass handles it.

Bloodworth said:
Hey guys, we just put up higher quality versions of all 3 vids and the Home Run video if you're interested.

TV Spot 7
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29930.html

TV Spot 8
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29931.html

5 min gameplay
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29932.html

Home Run Contest
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29933.html
Thanks guys! I don't know how many times I've watched the 5 min. gameplay vid. I'm sure my roommate is sick of hearing it. :lol

Jiggy

Jiggy37 said:
My refresh button is clicking but I see nothing. :(
Maybe I should turn that frown upside-down; perhaps it's late because my SSB N64 Quartet of Unlockables prediction will come true. :eek:

On a separate note, I wish I'd tracked stats for how often the Dojo thread killed GAF's servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom