• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
One of them sure can't
since they removed "it," sadly,
unless they didn't

We "don't" know whether
that character's in, but thread
spoilers? Out for sure

(Man, this is bizarre. >_>)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I figured out that you can get out of Dedede's chain throw really quick by simply spot dodging :)

I love using that technique though... so I haven't told all of my friends this little fact :lol

Firestorm

HK-47 said:
Dedede chain throw isnt broken. And Pikachu and Fox's (near) infinite wall combos are just as likely and dangerous if not moreso than the laser lock.

DI towards the character pushing you and you will push them away enough to escape. Applies to both situations. Dunno about chain throw.

i dont see why items can be left on with certain ones turned off. item play was a no in melee because occassionally an explosive crate/pill/barrel would spawn on top of you during an attack animation, and you couldnt turn them off. id say 90% of items can be dealt with strategically, even pokemon (bomb ombs tend to walk from off screen so thats a no). certain characters attributes are tied to special item utilization (thrown item power ie) so i wouldnt call it necessarily fairer to ignore them

edit; and d3 chain throw isnt broken, its over once you run out of ground to run forward

hmmm mushroomy kingdom

MisterHero

why can't you play with more than 4 stock if you use "more random" elements like items?

since everyone's afraid of something exploding in their faces then why not give everyone more lives?

like between 5-10?

besides, you shouldn't be throwing ANYTHING at your feet in Smash Bros. jump and down-throw it if you want to keep it close. why is this so hard?

webrunner

HK-47 said:
Dedede chain throw isnt broken. And Pikachu and Fox's (near) infinite wall combos are just as likely and dangerous if not moreso than the laser lock.

The infinite-A combos (like Pikachus) can be broken.

even considering items are distributed randomly, their usage adheres to rules and guidelines i can adjust to. i run from star powered peeps, i throw shit at hammer wielders, i make sure to avoid a straight line of sight in front of or above someone with a bat. figuring out the best way to use and counter the arsenal of items adds another layer of depth to this game`.

scottnak

Section 3 complete!
Can't believe I went through 7500 posts. Haha... oh i'm nuts.

@Probation
I think it's because, even though it IS random, the distribution of random *powerful* items isn't equal. Say, the hammer for example. It's the pinaccle of powerful items, and you may only see it once per game. Or the Starman similarly. *shrug*

I don't mind though, don't try to ask me more about it. Tis all a guess for me. I love me some random item fun.

Tatnen said:
Firestorm (and the guy who mentioned it before him)
Gee, thanks. See if I ever take the three seconds to spell your name correctly again, Tataran. =(

And the problem with trying to define these rules is this, Tanthen: if you say you aren't allowed to run away for longer than 20 seconds, people will run away for 19 seconds, fight for however long is necessary, and then repeat. Heck, that's why some levels in Melee are banned in the first place. I really don't see the issue, in the end.

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
Poke Floats was excellent and I want it to return. To mention another generally-unliked and frenetic stage, Big Blue was also excellent and I want that to return too. Looking at Spear Pillar, on the other hand, makes me think of Brinstar Depths (which I hated) or Frigate Orpheon on steroids and simultaneously fused with directly-harmful stage hazards.

Actually, I love Big Blue, it's one of the most fun stages from Melee. Poke Floats is horrible though. I would rather concentrate on fighting my opponent than trying to remember the pattern and exact timing to move through a stage. And it's movements aren't telegraphed the way Rainbow Cruise is, so unless you remember exactly when, say, Onix is gonna come through, you end up jumping/dropping at the wrong time, and die.

Firestorm said:
The reason items are off is because it creates inconsistent results when the top players play each other. Items were tested in a tournament environment back in 2002. Did not work. It might work in Brawl and I know at least one influential Smash Back Room member (gimpyfish) is for giving at the very least smashballs a chance.

Well, I don't know about Smashballs in 1v1. On the one hand, it's pretty much a guaranteed kill, on the other hand, you have to fight over it in the first place. I'd be willing to try it out at least.

As far as other items are concerned, it depends on how much you can turn off. Once I get the game, I'll give you my opinions.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Why don't we just take a vote of all GAFfers in the tournament, and let them decide on whether to use items or not? Or put all the items and non-items folks into different brackets and end with 4 matches with the final 2 from each bracket, two with items and two without.

justchris

DavidDayton said:
Why don't we just take a vote of all GAFfers in the tournament, and let them decide on whether to use items or not? Or put all the items and non-items folks into different brackets and end with 4 matches with the final 2 from each bracket, two with items and two without.

Well, I was actually speaking in a more general sense for the tournament scene. If we were going to, for instance, form a NeoGAF league, I would suggest running multiple different types of tournaments, each with different rules, and not trying to force a single playstyle to apply to all tournaments. So we'd have 1v1 tournaments, team tournaments, free4all tournaments, and then you just pick the one you want to participate in and wait for that weekend to play.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Firestorm said:
Spear Pillar sucks. It's plain unfun. None of the stage effects are fun. Trying to get to someone camping in the cavern is not fun. It's NOT FUN.
Horseshit! Level is mad fun. Can I post the one video I have of 4 gaffers playing it?
You uh, don't entirely have to worry about campers because of the laser that takes them out or knocks away part of the upper flooring that lets you easily get down.
Have you played this game?

justchris said:
Well, I don't know about Smashballs in 1v1. On the one hand, it's pretty much a guaranteed kill, on the other hand, you have to fight over it in the first place. I'd be willing to try it out at least.

Hey, any european gaffers have the game yet?

I've been trying to find random opponents for some online gaming but it does not find anything. Is there a server lockout or something, or there are not enough users for now?

-edit-

Also, where the hell is the spectator mode? Is it an unlockable?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Don't know if this is old, or authentic, or worthy of creating a new thread, but I found it on another forum.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament Guidelines for Round 1 - 03/08

Congratulations for being part of the largest in-store tournament even in GameStop history! Your store is one of 2500 that has been selected to host the Round 1 Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament during your launch of Super Smash Bros Brawl! Are you ready to rumble Mario Style?

Inorder to host a great Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament, simply follow these guidelines:
What You Will Need:
* Tables for the event (if needed)
* Used/Refurb Wii systems and controllers (if hosting a large venue)
* TVs to match the number of systems you will be using for larger, multi-system tournaments (Remember that you must keep at least one monitor available to showcase GameStop TV. GameStop TV is a required marketing element.)
* Extension Cords/Surge Protectors.
* An energetic and knowledgeable associate to run your event.

General Rules
* Customers must use the controllers that are provided by the store. Stores will use the Wii controller w/ nunchuk to host the tournament.
* Customers must sign in for the tournament on the Official Tournament Sign Up Sheet (if under 18 parent or guardian must also sign the sign up sheet).
* Tournament must be organized into a bracket-style format (automatically done in game)
* Players will be paired off randomly for the opening round.
* The winner of each match will be determined automatically by in game tournament mode and will move on to the next round.
* Play will continue until the last two players remaining compete.
* The player who wins the final round wins the tournament.

Game Settings
* Insert game disk for Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Nintendo Wii.
* From the Main Menu, choose Game Modes, "Tourny."
* Under Tourney Rules, select your players per match (2 players).
* Next, enter in the total number of entrants participating in the tourney (up to 32 players). Verify that tournament seedings are "random."
* Select your Tournament Rules:
Time Per Round: 1 minute
Handicap: Off
Damage Ratio: 1.0 (this is a default setting)
* Continue to "entrant settings" and create detailed data for each entrant
* Select state choice: to keep the tournament fair, select "SINGLE STAGE". Continue on to the Stage Select Screen and choose "BATTLEFIELD"
* Once all data has been entered and brackets have been set, select "Begin" when prompted to begin the tourney.
* This wills tart the Tournament. As each round ends, the game will prompt you to bring in the next set of players to begin the next Brawl.
* Once the Tournament has ended, please have the winner sign the release from provided in the tournament packet. Please retain the release form. Please hand write the store address of the location of your district tournament (Round 2) on the round 1 winner's certificate. This will be the only way the contestant will be able to get access into Round 2 location.

Thanks for all of your hard work making Super Smash Bros Brawl a success! Good luck your Tournament!

I think one could also assume that it's starting roster characters only.

justchris

RevenantKioku said:

Not at all, which is why I said I wasn't sure and I'd have to try it out to make a decision. I know not all FS are equal in power and usability, but it's still a pretty significant swing, and may alter the metagame negatively.

Firestorm

MisterHero said:
why can't you play with more than 4 stock if you use "more random" elements like items?

since everyone's afraid of something exploding in their faces then why not give everyone more lives?

like between 5-10?

besides, you shouldn't be throwing ANYTHING at your feet in Smash Bros. jump and down-throw it if you want to keep it close. why is this so hard?

Dude. Tournaments need to finish ya know >_>;; 4 stock was standard in Melee because 5 stock took too long and 3 stock seemed to be too little time to allow comebacks. After last year Evo wants 3 stock since Smash STILL took too long to finish (community likes double elimination, best of 3). With Brawl, I think it's a safe bet it'll be 3 stock. The thing is, 3 stock in Brawl takes about the same amount of time as 4 stock in Melee...

Probationsmack said:
even considering items are distributed randomly, their usage adheres to rules and guidelines i can adjust to. i run from star powered peeps, i throw shit at hammer wielders, i make sure to avoid a straight line of sight in front of or above someone with a bat. figuring out the best way to use and counter the arsenal of items adds another layer of depth to this game`.

The problem with some of those are they offer reward with no risk whatsoever to the first player who reaches it. Starman? Completely invincible, absolutely no drawback. Heart Container or Maximum Tomato? Heal 50% or 100% with absolutely no drawback. Spicy Curry? Rapid fire attack at all time with no drawback (unless you're against Fox/Falco/Ness/Lucas ^_^).

For items in Smash, DrHadji/kirbykid wrote the only argument I think I've ever found to be founded by good support over here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=114808

It applies to Melee, but most of the arguments carry over to Brawl.

RevenantKioku said:
Horseshit! Level is mad fun. Can I post the one video I have of 4 gaffers playing it?
You uh, don't entirely have to worry about campers because of the laser that takes them out or knocks away part of the upper flooring that lets you easily get down.

Played it. But that laser didn't appear for quite some time iirc =[ And it was an FFA so I was getting my ass beat while they weren't really doing much down there.

Firestorm

viewtiful_dru said:
Hey Firestorm, is your tourney online?

I'm down to play, when are you having sign ups?

Yeah online tournament. I'll make a signup topic like a few days after release. It'll start 2 - 3 weeks after release considering Europe/Australia don't look to be getting it anytime soon.

TJ Spyke

DrForester said:
Don't know if this is old, or authentic, or worthy of creating a new thread, but I found it on another forum.

I think one could also assume that it's starting roster characters only.

Several GAFfers (and me too since I talked to the guy running the tournament I signed up at) have confirmed that many stores are ignoring the rules set by Nintendo and making their own. The store I am competing at, the guy has said he will be bringing in WaveBirds for players to use. will use a flat stage (not unnecessarily Battlefield), will be longer than 1 minute, and have items turned off.

Also none of the screens I saw had GameStop TV on them. Should be pretty big, I think I was #132 on the sign-up sheet.

scottnak

TJ Spyke said:
Several GAFfers (and me too since I talked to the guy running the tournament I signed up at) have confirmed that many stores are ignoring the rules set by Nintendo and making their own. The store I am competing at, the guy has said he will be bringing in WaveBirds for players to use. will use a flat stage (not unnecessarily Battlefield), will be longer than 1 minute, and have items turned off.

Also none of the screens I saw had GameStop TV on them. Should be pretty big, I think I was #132 on the sign-up sheet.
Well that's cool to hear... though, while I thought about it... I really just want to plop back in my apt and just waste hours into the night playing the hell out of this thing...
Yeaah!!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy, if all goes well, I'll have my first set of quotes to you tonight.

I'm a bit busy right now, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to my second set, but I'll try my hardest to get it done this week.

Firestorm said:
Yeah online tournament. I'll make a signup topic like a few days after release. It'll start 2 - 3 weeks after release considering Europe/Australia don't look to be getting it anytime soon.

Is there going to be a max for eligible spots? Not that I think it's a bad idea, just making sure I need to pay more attention than I have been lately.

Firestorm

crowphoenix said:
Is there going to be a max for eligible spots? Not that I think it's a bad idea, just making sure I need to pay more attention than I have been lately.

No need for a max, so no. Although we may have quite a few byes...

Jiggy

The Great and Roughly Half-Done Smash Bros. Dojo Thread Quote Hunt

Posts 1-2,500: scottnak
Posts 2,501-5,000: Jiggy37
Posts 5,001-7,500: bombcar
Posts 7,501-10,000: scottnak

Posts 10,001-12,500: Danthrax
Posts 12,501-15,000: scottnak
Posts 15,001-17,500: Syth_Blade22 (40% done)
Posts 17,501-20,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 20,001-22,500: Man God

Posts 22,501-25,000: RoboPlato (partly done)
Posts 25,001-27,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 27,501-30,000: crowphoenix (1500/2500 down)
Posts 30,001-32,500: Cerebral Assassin
Posts 32,501-35,000: NickP786
Posts 35,001-37,500: Fenix
Posts 37,501-40,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 40,001-42,500: Guled
Posts 42,501-45,000: dude
Posts 45,001-47,500: Man God
Posts 47,501-50,000: possibly reserved for pulga?
Posts 50,001-52,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 52,501-55,000: Firestorm
Posts 55,001-57,500: Jiggy37
Posts 57,501-60,000: Jiggy37

Predicting a closing assist trophy update that covers several of them in a small amount of detail for each. No guarantee at all that I'll be here for stats tonight.

scottnak

Whoo. No more post sections to deal with now. Though.. these guys better get on it. Doubt anyone is going to wade through it once the 9th hits... dun dunnn.

Today... I want an Music onslaught!! MUSIC!! :(

Iam Canadian

Part of the reason that I want to have my second section done this week is that I have a dreadful feeling that this thread will be done come March 9th. :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Firestorm said:
I want to know who has the section where Lyn Assist Trophy was announced.
That was fun.

Nah. Zeed was banned remember. Wasnt half of what it should have been

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
I want to know who has the section where Lyn Assist Trophy was announced.
That was fun.

That would be me.

It really is too bad that Zeed was banned. Still, I was able to get some pretty good quotes out of it.

I really can't resist posting this gem.

Fenix

Huzzah! I just finished Super Paper Mario which means my Wii backlog is no more. It is ready to be a full-fledged Brawl machine come sunday :D .

Also, I'm back to working on the retrospective, should be done later tonight... Jiggy, do I PM it to you in ready-to-post format?

scottnak

Iam Canadian said:
That would be me.

It really is too bad that Zeed was banned. Still, I was able to get some pretty good quotes out of it.

I really can't resist posting this gem.
:lol wow. Blast to the past.

Some good times looking back at things were...

Firestorm

Fenix said:
Huzzah! I just finished Super Paper Mario which means my Wii backlog is no more. It is ready to be a full-fledged Brawl machine come sunday :D .

Also, I'm back to working on the retrospective, should be done later tonight... Jiggy, do I PM it to you in ready-to-post format?

* = I started it

Wii Backlog:
Super Paper Mario*
Resident Evil 4*
Trauma Center: New Blood
No More Heroes
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

360 Backlog
Blue Dragon*
Assassin's Creed
Marvel Ultimate Alliance

DS Backlog
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin*
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney

Fenix

Firestorm said:
* = I started it

Wii Backlog:
Super Paper Mario*
Resident Evil 4*
No More Heroes

You can finish both of these this week.

Get on it soldier.

scottnak

Firestorm said:
* = I started it

Wii Backlog:
Super Paper Mario*
Resident Evil 4*
No More Heroes

360 Backlog
Blue Dragon*
Assassin's Creed
Marvel Ultimate Alliance

DS Backlog
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin*
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
Probability that any of those games gets finished within the next month? unlikely...
Well. At least you bought Z&W. Enjoy its magnificence between your brawling sessions!

Firestorm

Fenix said:
You can finish both of these this week.

Get on it soldier.

Is No More Heroes really that short? I am up to my eyes in schoolwork this week. I have between Thursday and Sunday to play. RE4 I'm not trying again until I can play on an SDTV.

Fenix

Firestorm said:
Is No More Heroes really that short? I am up to my eyes in schoolwork this week. I have between Thursday and Sunday to play. RE4 I'm not trying again until I can play on an SDTV.

NMH took me about 10 hours, definitely worth it. Dunno how it'll look on an HDTV though.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
justchris said:
Not at all, which is why I said I wasn't sure and I'd have to try it out to make a decision. I know not all FS are equal in power and usability, but it's still a pretty significant swing, and may alter the metagame negatively.
It was a bit rhetorical. :p Some characters can kill themselves with their FS if you're not careful, some FS are more powerful on other stages than others. I've had matches where someone got the smash ball 3 times and still lost.

I guess really, I'm just sickened by the thought of what 'competitive play' will do to the fun of this awesome game. :(

Iam Canadian

I'm just going to toss a Pokemon prediction in there. Probably a list of various new Pokemon in the game, a la the Assist Trophy one we got.

Firestorm

The more I look at it the more that "Hard" seems to be the "real" setting to play on. Sort of like Halo where the "real" setting is Heroic. I mean, Hard is the one with the actual Smash logo!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Firestorm said:
The more I look at it the more that "Hard" seems to be the "real" setting to play on. Sort of like Halo where the "real" setting is Heroic. I mean, Hard is the one with the actual Smash logo!

Intense is for non pussies only grrr

Iam Canadian

It looks like this update implies that at some point in the Subspace Emissary, Peach, Lucas, and the Ice Climbers form a team.

Either that or you can take whatever characters you want into the SSE at some point. I honestly don't know.

I'm betting that other "secret" mode is all-star mode. And that's an honest prediction, as I have no idea what game modes were spilled in the spoiler thread, nor can I read the japanese menues when I play at my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom