• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
agh jiggy im so slack i've done no more since that initial burst :(

but uni goes back this week and ill have plenty of spare time (Y) so expect some quotes!

scottnak

Hm. The Classic Game Over scene definitely looks a little... hm. Odd I guess. The Score +1 thing is pretty nifty I suppose.

I know Jiggy said he probably wouldn't be around... but this night doesn't feel over w/o the stats goods!

Monocle

Yay, finally validated. I've been lurking this endlessly amusing thread for ages it seems.

The latest update confirms that I won't lose any of my CDs no matter how high I turn on the suck in SSE, so that's comforting. And Intense sounds like it might be stupidly difficult. I hope this is the case.

Jiggy

-Secrets for Continuing kicks off the 41st week with the 41st game mode. It's also the 200th update day and the 243rd update overall.

-Lucas moves from 53 screenshots to 55 and passes Bowser. Ice Climbers move from 36 to 38 and tie Sonic. Peach moves from 50 to 52 and passes the superior princess. :mad:

-This is really short. Filler material: 2 out of the most recent 2 Mondays have hosted a game mode update.

-Filler material, the sequel: The Great Smash Bros. Dojo Thread Quote Hunt is more than 50% complete! Over 32,500 of our 61,493 posts have been read through. [Edit: Now over 35,000!]

-Filler material, the spinoff TV series: there's a 100% chance that stats will be late for Wednesday's update. Whether that means "not here at all" or just very late that same night, I'm not quite sure. I'm flying back that Tuesday night, in any case.

scottnak

Let's kick this thread up back with 30 mins to go!!

I want some music / AT updates... but we'll probably end up with a character... eh.

I'm curious if anyone knows for sure if Pat Cashman is the announcer for the US version of Smash. Just listening to the voice, it really does sound like him.

scottnak

Soka said:
What is this quote hunt thing? I am confused!

Also, predicting a secret character "reveal" tonight. No idea who, just a thought!
Well, back when it was released in Japan, we were worried that sp0rsk was going to close this thread. In response, Jiggy thought it'd be a nice idea to wade back through this massive thread and capture interesting quotes. Because it'd be waaay too much work for one man, he split it up into 2500 post sections. In the end, a nice big post to look back at the fun moments ...

And that's what the quote hunt thing is all about.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm sticking to my Pokemon update, which will contain a number of the new Pokemon, similar to the Assist Trophy update.

Edit: I was going to ask Jiggy to check his PMs, but I see he already did. :D

scottnak

Firestorm said:
I found this out first hand.

"I reached Donkey Kong firs-HOLYCRAP"
:lol Awesome. Must've had a nice laugh when that happened. (Or maybe a controller slam to the ground...)

5 days away... 5 days away...

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Donkey Kong is actually really awesome in Brawl, despite the fact that no one plays as him. :lol Despite what the Dojo says, the "headbutt -> Giant Punch" combo is pretty damn easy to land and really powerful.

75m is one wacky stage, let me tell you. :lol 8Bit DK hits hard to be sure, but even more dangerous are those springs that bounce down at you... they will pwn you :p

A cool tidbit about the stage is that the score at the top of the screen is accurate to whats
going on in the stage. So if you collect a purse or whatever it adds to the score :lol

BTW does anyone know: Was '75m' the original name of this stage back in the day? First time I've heard it..

Firestorm

scottnak said:
:lol Awesome. Must've had a nice laugh when that happened. (Or maybe a controller slam to the ground...)

5 days away... 5 days away...

It was funny. I mean, what else would be your first instinct on this stage other than reaching the top? Then those friggin springs came. Those hurt a lot >=[

I dunno. It's obvious this isn't my type of stage, but it's good fun the first time you try it and one of those "what would happen if we just fought in another game" type things. Mushroomy Kingdom is still the best when it comes to that category though =) Damn. That stage is genius.

MrCheez said:
BTW does anyone know: Was '75m' the original name of this stage back in the day? First time I've heard it..
Yep, it's accurate. Before each level, they'd show how high up the construction site you were. The first level was 25M, the second 50M, and so on. They had real names as well, I believe, but the 75M thing is a more obscure reference.

75M is a clever stage but it's really horrible for brawling in. The entire top and far right section are suicidal to hang out in most of the time, due to the springs of death, and walk-off stage ending. That, combined with the evil trouble bugs, make actual fighting near-impossible. Add in the ladders that you'll accidentally climb when trying to attack/evade, and it's a very frustrating experience.

Fenix

MrCheez said:

Technically yes, the more stages you progressed in Donkey Kong, you'd go up 25m... so each stage was 0m, 25m, etc.

Damn, a bit late.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The Dojo update said that this area was the highest part of the construction site, but wasn't the final level where you defeated Donkey Kong technically the highest point?

If they really wanted to go for an obscure reference, they should have included a Pie Factory level.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
BTW has anyone seen King Of Kongs? My friends and I make constant references to that movie when we play this stage...

We've also started calling it "Steve Wiebe's Stage" :lol

Fenix

I still remember having to go through DK and Jetpac in DK64 for... was it those large coins? Man that was harsh.

I also love Futurama's DK parody... that whole episode was awesome.

Ydahs

stage30_080304d-l.jpg

Luigi!

Awesome DK double update! :D

It would have been cool to play as old school DK. Also I wish Nintendo would release an arcade perfect 'Donkey Kong' on WiiWare.

Fenix

scottnak said:
Man. Great to watch... but I need to see some deaths. Haha.
What exactly happens when you get hit by all those springs that fall down?
(In brawl that is. Though I'm guessing it mirrors whatever happened in the actual game)

Brawl: Spring = Damage
Donkey Kong: Spring = Instant Death

Fenix

scottnak said:
Any "extra kick back" due to the fact it's a spring?

Firestorm seemed to indicate it hurts a lot. I can't say if there's any extra knockback, since I still have not played Brawl :p

Firestorm

scottnak said:
Any "extra kick back" due to the fact it's a spring?

If there's any more there wouldn't be any difference between Brawl and DK springs.

That or my memory is overexaggerating due to how many times I got hit. I only ever played the stage once.

scottnak

Firestorm said:
If there's any more there wouldn't be any difference between Brawl and DK springs.

That or my memory is overexaggerating due to how many times I got hit. I only ever played the stage once.
Haha. I see. Thanks for the impressions. Can't wait to fool around with this level then! :)

Jiggy

This is going to require some kind of ginormous Elizabethan Donkey Kong post, but that's not happening tonight. Sorry, everyone. >_> Too beat up today to even figure out whether that's Ike and Ike or Ike and Marth in that one screenshot, when normally I'd do that in a heartbeat. (Or I'd already know.)

Edit: And for the record, I'm not counting old-school Donkey Kong as new-school Donkey Kong because of the way I think the current canon works. :p

Monocle

Wow, great stage. Talk about nostalgia factor. Last week I watched King of Kong for the first time and 75m from the original game got a decent amount of screen time, so I remember it especially clearly. I never would have expected to see it in Brawl. The platform setup isn't exactly to my taste as far as stages go, but I'm sure it will be excellent for item overload matches. I can't wait to fill it with mines, bumpers or bob-ombs.

TJ Spyke

viewtiful_dru said:
I thought OG DK = Cranky Kong and New DK was his son or grandson

Correct. It's been established that the original Donkey Kong is now Cranky Kong (nevermind the fact that Mario doesn't seem to have aged). Nintendo and Rare were inconsistant on whether the current Donkey Kong is his son or grandson (see http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/kongtroversy.shtml ). The relationship between Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong is also not consistent.

TreIII

CreatureX3 said:

Ah yes...I believe this is also the only game those two exist together, ain't it?

TJ Spyke said:
Correct. It's been established that the original Donkey Kong is now Cranky Kong (nevermind the fact that Mario doesn't seem to have aged). Nintendo and Rare were inconsistant on whether the current Donkey Kong is his son or grandson (see http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/kongtroversy.shtml). The relationship between Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong is also not consistent.

Just recently....

A particular Snake codec in Brawl gave its own take on the issue. It never ends!
:lol

And as for Diddy? I believe the profiles listed in the Brawl, and other promo material released before, go forth to be another source that agrees with the notion that he is DK's Nephew. DK64 was the only game that really ever tried to showcase some sort of "doubt" that they weren't family...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
TreIII said:
And as for Diddy? I believe the profiles listed in the Brawl, and other promo material released before, go forth to be another source that agrees with the notion that he is DK's Nephew. DK64 was the only game that really ever tried to showcase some sort of "doubt" that they weren't family...

If we really want to get down to it, they can't be blood family, since Donkey Kong is an ape, and Diddy Kong is a monkey. The discussion begins and ends right there. The "Kong" clan is pretty much entirely apes, so they could all be blood related, but aberrations like Diddy and Lanky (ape, but orangutan, not gorilla) are likely just... adopted into the family? I basically see Diddy as Robin to DK's Batman.

webrunner

Here's how I understand it:
Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong GB Remake [incidentally he wears the tie here], etc) - The original donkey kong. He had a son (somehow?) named...
Donkey Kong Jr. (Donkey Kong Jr.) - Saves his Father, and does some math. Completely disappears from Canon but not before having a son of his own.
Donkey Kong (The third) - The one who has problems with bananas and Coconuts, and befriended Diddy (who shares the same last name as him.. along with most of his friends.. for some reason)

I'm not sure who Mario and Donkey Kong/March of the Minis DK is. Maybe that's DK Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom