• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

75m is a really fun looking stage!

I would probably have used 100m (the final stage) as the most practical choice for smash. if you hated all the floors/getting pounded by Classic DK you could just remove the blocks to break the building as well as take out DK.

though 75m does share the more iconic colors as 25m (first stage)

TJ Spyke

It could just be that Diddy's family was killed and he was adopted by the Kong family (or that Nintendo doesn't care about any of this making sense, like Mario and Baby Mario existing at the same time in the Mario Kart and Mario sports games).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
TJ Spyke said:
It could just be that Diddy's family was killed and he was adopted by the Kong family

That's what I'm most inclined to think. Call him an adopted nephew if you must, though it doesn't seem like we ever see the brother/sister DK would need to have to make Diddy a nephew. I'd prefer to just call him DK's surrogate little brother.

TreIII

TJ Spyke said:
It could just be that Diddy's family was killed and he was adopted by the Kong family (or that Nintendo doesn't care about any of this making sense, like Mario and Baby Mario existing at the same time in the Mario Kart and Mario sports games).

That. :lol

I mean, let's face it, at times, Nintendo game plots are even more messed than the stuff that goes on in American comics. Even if we try and pass of the Mario Sports games as "non-canonical dream-matches", it's still quite messed up.

For example...

If the DK of today is truly DK Jr. all grown up...why was that not reflected in Yoshi's Island DS, where he basically just looks like a scaled down version of his adult form? Did they just completely forget about the Jr. design, or what? And if so, then where the hell IS DK Jr., provided that he's probably Current-day DK's father?

If Mario really does have his own Castle and island-territory that he owns (Mario Land 2), why is he often portrayed as living in a simplistic Mushroom Shack with Luigi in the RPG series and other stuff? He's obviously wealthy (collecting all those damn coins in various games gotta count for something!), and a hero at that, so why shouldn't he live more glamorously?

...and there's plenty more than that. But after awhile, it's kinda like the "shut up and eat your damn hotdog" argument. You may wonder what really goes on, but in the end, how concerned can you afford to be, when so many other things about the games don't make a lick of sense any way? :lol

CTLance

webrunner said:
We haven't had a title update yet... "You’re kidding, right?" would work I think
Sporsk came down with something. I highly doubt he wastes his scarce few minutes spent with us and not worshipping the porcellain goddess with renaming random threads. Poor guy sounded kinda down. Hope he's feeling better by now.

1up

CreatureX3 said:
tenjerjajenis1.jpg

:D

That pic makes as much sense as mario racing against his baby self in mario kart double dash.

1up said:
That pic makes as much sense as mario racing against his baby self in mario kart double dash.

Except if Cranky Kong (The original Donkey Kong) is DK's Grandfather, wouldn't that make Donkey Kong Jr. a young version of DK's father?

Which raises the question: What happened to Donkey Kong Jr? Why isn't he in the Donkey Kong Country Games?

webrunner

CTLance said:
Sporsk came down with something. I highly doubt he wastes his scarce few minutes spent with us and not worshipping the porcellain goddess with renaming random threads. Poor guy sounded kinda down. Hope he's feeling better by now.

Urk. Yeah, I hope he feels better soon. I didn't know he was the only one changing the titles

TreIII

Gekkonidae said:
Except if Cranky Kong (The original Donkey Kong) is DK's Grandfather, wouldn't that make Donkey Kong Jr. a young version of DK's father?

Which raises the question: What happened to Donkey Kong Jr? Why isn't he in the Donkey Kong Country Games?

I brought this same point up earlier. :D

But any way, it is something to wonder about. A whole possible generation of the DK lineage has just gone up in smoke, with no reasonable explanation.

TJ Spyke

Gekkonidae said:

According to some official sources, he could be father/grandfather. Official sources stating Cranky is the father of the current DK:

Donkey Kong 64 (in the game Cranky says to DK "Well if it isn't my lazy, good-for-nothing son" and the manual also has Cranky saying "son of mine" when talking about DK)

Rare's website (the link is gone, but can still be accessed with the Internet Archive), they say that the current DK is DK Jr. grown up, and thus the son of Cranky.

Suffice it to say that Nintendo doesn't care and isn't consistent. http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/kongtroversy.shtml

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DK Jr. was last seen in Mario's Tennis on the Virtual Boy... in his adult, Super Mario Kart form.

Mario Tennis 64's DK Jr will be explained once you explain Baby Mario.

Jiggy37 said:
King Dedede is greatness, everyone knows it. Here's a repost from Smashboards that you non-spoiler types have been missing out on! (Can't link to the whole thing since it's not in the non-spoiler section of that forum.) I've edited only slightly.

ok, that post has to be the funniest I've read this week. Very professionally written :lol

scottnak

10 minutes to go. Get your last minute predictions in for the last few updates before the big release!!

Hidden Char today (Jiggly?)

scottnak

*runs around with hands above head* Ahhh. Why late??

2 days of no thread title change?

sp0rsk are you okay? :(
He had that norovirus thing I think... though I HAVE seen him pop around in the Election thread... probably not worth it to keep this ol' thing updated anymore :'(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I had actually been expecting Jigglypuff myself. I mean, she's the last of the original four unlockables that we haven't seen yet and we're due for another character, judging from recent trends. Besides, I want her to be confirmed; she's one of my main secondaries.

Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

When you throw Mr. Saturn into a solid object, he gives a little cry of "puuu!" He’s more of a mascot character than anything else, but he’s fairly good at breaking shields.

"Puuu"? It should say "Boing!".

Sakurai said:
Posting a description of each of these might be a bit too much work...

But what the heck, let’s do it.

I’ve already started the process, and I might as well lay it all out.

To all the localization staff out there in each country helping me communicate through the Dojo, sorry for upping your workload.

Haha, I love this guy. The greatness just keeps coming.

Jiggy

-March 5th brings us the 15th and very likely the final normal item update. Items are currently tied with assist trophies and one update ahead of adventure mode, but it may be a short victory...

-If this is truly the last normal item update, Wednesday becomes forever the Normal Item Master: 4 updates versus 3 each for Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and 2 for Friday.

-Our five least recent update types are now Poke Ball (perhaps finished?), music (also perhaps finished), assist trophy, how to play (Smash 101 definitely finished, techniques maybe not), and adventure mode.

-Not much else to say. The March 4th stats post is coming tomorrow, or something. :p

Crocodile

Wow I had no idea Coin Battle mode was still in the game :lol . I though they had taken it out since it's so unpopular. It didn't seem like anybody who imported the game talked about it.

Iam Canadian

Personally, I wonder if they brought Decision mode back.

I've had Melee since it came out and I think I played that mode less than five times... >_>

Firestorm

Crocodile said:
Wow I had no idea Coin Battle mode was still in the game :lol . I though they had taken it out since it's so unpopular. It didn't seem like anybody who imported the game talked about it.

Ah frick. I still don't have the coin trophy in Melee.

M3wThr33

Banned
DavidDayton said:
DK Jr. was last seen in Mario's Tennis on the Virtual Boy... in his adult, Super Mario Kart form.

Mario Tennis 64's DK Jr will be explained once you explain Baby Mario.

I think it works out the same way Gotenks can fight Goten in DBZ:BT3.

Jiggy

I kind of interpreted Secrets for Continuing as a stealth All-Star Mode update, if anything, though I didn't write that one down either. >_>

Fenix

Interesting that there is no cloaking device item and that the motion sensing bomb got a complete (visual) overhaul.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the possibility that those items in Melee may have alluded to the Perfect Dark in development at the time, since their trophies were listed as TOP SECRET?

Iam Canadian

I wouldn't call the Cloaking Device's absence as indicative of anything. After all, they dropped the Flipper as well.

Motion-sensor bomb...that's plausible, though.

scottnak

Ninja99 said:
I enjoyed this update. The hothead and timer items are completely new to me.
Though I haven't actually been able to use those items (at the SF Tourney). The hothead looked pretty darn intense... the stopwatch though, frustrating. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom