• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Christopher said:
Isn't the trainers name Ash?

In the games, it's officially "Red" according to Gold/Silver, though Ash was one of the default name options in the Red/Blue English Pokemon games.

FireRed and LeafGreen, the remakes of the first games and also the source of the trainer design used in Brawl, don't have a list of default names for the trainer, only for the rival - though a random name is assigned to the trainer if the player doesn't insert anything.

Kreed

I see a lot of people were hoping Wario's alternate outfit would be a way to include clones like Dr. Mario, but I doubt many Melee players would really be happy about that. The clones may have had the same move sets as other characters, but they did have differences in their power/speed/etc. Wario's alternate outfit is just that, an alternate outfit. I don't think people who played with the clones in the last game would be happy about that.

Kreed said:
I see a lot of people were hoping Wario's alternate outfit would be a way to include clones like Dr. Mario, but I doubt many Melee players would really be happy about that. The clones may have had the same move sets as other characters, but they did have differences in their power/speed/etc. Wario's alternate outfit is just that, an alternate outfit. I don't think people who played with the clones in the last game would be happy about that.

I think people who wanted clones to be included that way also wanted the gameplay differences to go along with the costumes. The point was merely to not "waste" a slot in the roster.

Kreed

Holy Order Sol said:
I think people who wanted clones to be included that way also wanted the gameplay differences to go along with the costumes. The point was merely to not "waste" a slot in the roster.

But I doubt those differences would be carried over if they were just alternate costumes. The reasons the clones had their own roster spots in the first place was because they did have game play differences from the "originals" (not to mention that some were different characters completely) so they weren't "just" color swaps. If the clones are brought over with their differences, they should still have their own spots even if they don't have any move variations.

NTom64

Wow, that's pretty sweet. I'm sure they wouldn't create a costume JUST for Wario. Each character probably has their 6 various colours (Red, Blue, Yellow, Dark form, something and something I forget right now...) , PLUS one costume.

Going by this, I'll say that Dr.Mario's back in as a costume.

NeonZ

NTom64 said:
Wow, that's pretty sweet. I'm sure they wouldn't create a costume JUST for Wario. Each character probably has their 6 various colours (Red, Blue, Yellow, Dark form, something and something I forget right now...) , PLUS one costume.

The update says that Wario is special and the only one with an alternate costume. Omitting information is possible, but I don't see the dojo directly lying about a feature.

Kreed said:
But I doubt those differences would be carried over if they were just alternate costumes. The reasons the clones had their own roster spots in the first place was because they did have game play differences from the "originals" (not to mention that some were different characters completely) so they weren't "just" color swaps. If the clones are brought over with their differences, they should still have their own spots even if they don't have any move variations.

What I meant was something along the lines of the EX characters in KOF '98. Saves space on the roster while still allowing for variations of characters.

FlightOfHeaven : going by what we know about Brawl Mario, yeah I think Doc may as well just be an alternative costume.

NeonZ

What I meant was something along the lines of the EX characters in KOF '98. Saves space on the roster while still allowing for variations of characters.

EX characters didn't have different visuals though (unless you include the Orochi variations, but even those were just color changes visually).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kreed said:
Yep. If the alternate costumes also had different gameplay, that would be very confusing. There's a reason that Eddie is on the same slot as Cristy and that Panda is on the same slot as Kuma - for all intents and purposes, they are the same character.

Having to go to Captain Falcon to select Gannondorf would be completely strange.

Insaniac

Holy Order Sol said:

FlightOfHeaven : going by what we know about Brawl Mario, yeah I think Doc may as well just be an alternative costume.

I don't see why you'd assume Doc Mario would be in as an alt costume:

Everyone can change colors, of course. But Wario alone is special...

NeonZ said:
The one good thing about this update is that it raises the chances of clones still being in.

I mean, if clones weren't in, Dr.Mario could easily become a costume for Mario, but it seems like Wario is the only character who has an alternate costume.
I doubt Wario will the only one with alternative costumes in the end. Would be rather silly to keep something like this exclusive to a single character. At least, I hope not...

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
23 days of updates to go until the time when we all flood TreIII with PMs demanding information, that early-game-getting-bum

I see what you did there. :lol

In all likelihood, I'll probably just open up another topic, completely dedicated to any and all spoilers I, 2ch and other importers may stand to give off. That way, if people want to embargo themselves for some reason, they'll be free to stay away.

And if some one knows of a good alternative place to upload vids besides youtube, that'd also be appreciated. Just be warned...the first thing I intend to do is take a character (probably Lucas or Dedede) through classic mode, so I can (ideally) unlock Purin/Puff. :lol

Any way, to today's update...the wording of the Japanese Dojo still may lead to some rather ambiguous intrepretation.

From what I gather, it makes it sound like "However, Wario is a special instance...", as if to say he's not necessarily the only one.

And I would hope that would be the case, because, few things would make me happier than to see Claus as an alternate to Lucas (not to be confused with Masked Boy, who definitely should be his own character), and CD-style Metal Sonic to double for Sonic (a la how he was in Sonic Adventure DX and Battle).

TreIII said:
And I would hope that would be the case, because, few things would make me happier than to see Claus as an alternate to Lucas (not to be confused with Masked Boy, who definitely should be his own character), and CD-style Metal Sonic to double for Sonic (a la how he was in Sonic Adventure DX and Battle).
I love Metal Sonic (in SA2:B multiplayer, I always chose him), but Shadow seems like he'd be the more likely alternate costume. At least this way he wouldn't be packing any guns or sports cars...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man God said:
May does if you're a younger fan. Or a pedo. Same with Dawn really. Both have the exact character design of the female trainers from the two most recent main series pokemon games.

:lol Sure whatever you say

TreIII

LouieGeetoo said:
I love Metal Sonic (in SA2:B multiplayer, I always chose him), but Shadow seems like he'd be the more likely alternate costume. At least this way he wouldn't be packing any guns or sports cars...

But that would involve the issue of hiring more seiyuu/VAs, at least, if they wanted to make sure it looked right, and wasn't just Shadow with Sonic's voice (which would be stupid).

Honestly, I can't imagine them doing such a thing, just for the sake of a character skin. "Darkspine" Sonic and, preferably, Metal Sonic would both be better choices in this light, simply because one would just be a re-use of already available voice clips (they could alter the pitch and tone if they wanted), while the other could be kept silent for the sake of that particular costume.

Insaniac said:
I don't see why you'd assume Doc Mario would be in as an alt costume:

Just agreeing that it's what would have made sense. Had it actually been the case we'd most likely already know it from the demo anyway.

Unless some alt costumes are unlockables, but I doubt it.

NeonZ

A Link to the Snitch said:
I doubt they would give a new type of Character update that they would only use once.

A "new type"? It's just another update in Wario's character page. "Pokemon Change!" has only been used once, but I don't think anyone is expecting another trainer with 3 completely different pokemons.

If more than one character was supposed to receive a costume, I think that would be listed in Techniques, like the Color Changes update.

Honestly, I can't imagine them doing such a thing, just for the sake of a character skin.

They did get many different VAs for Snake's Codec conversations.

Jiggy

FlightOfHeaven said:
Hmmm. Pokemon is still immensely popular, but Misty was in there for a really freakin' long time. I'd be surprised if all Pokemon Trainers don't recognize heri n one form or another.

Doesn't she still make cameos in the games and anime? I stopped playing Pokemon (no time/cash) around Silver/Gold, and the anime a year after that.
Anime, yes: occasional sidestory episodes are dedicated to some of the more memorable characters who left the main team, e.g. Misty, Todd/Snap the photographer, Tracy the sketching guy, and Casey the Electabuzz-loving baseball player.

Games, no. Except Fire Red/Leaf Green, since that was a remake of the originals anyway. And the Gold/Silver remake that I'm sure is coming.
"Sure" in the personal belief way, not the "I have inside info" way.

Crushed said:
sp0rsk are you okay

post if you are okay
Yeah, I want my new thread title. ;_;

Bogus

Liquid Snake alternate costume for Solid Snake. Make it happen, Sakurai!

Come on, they're the only ones who actually are clones!

Minsc

Gold Member
Is the launch date for this really supposed to be Sunday, Feb 10th? Sunday seems really odd to me for some reason, maybe it's not that uncommon.

Jiggy

There are too many unfinished storyline issues (of all things!) from FR/LG and D/P to leave the G/S remake hanging. Mostly the references to Giovanni's kid in FR/LG, but also lesser things like the odd cameo appearance of Jasmine in D/P and the D/P opening reference to a red Gyarados in a lake.

Oh, and then there's the fact that Action Replay users have found code in D/P to say that a Pokemon was transferred from the Johto region, though that currently isn't possible. >_> Incidentally, I thought G/S were the worst of the series by far, but I still think a remake is happening.

Minsc said:
Is the launch date for this really supposed to be Sunday, Feb 10th? Sunday seems really odd to me for some reason, maybe it's not that uncommon.
It's not too unlikely for Nintendo's huge games. Pokemon D/P were on a Sunday.

Jiggy

Johto sucked too, in terms of its shape. It also had probably the worst first half hour of an RPG this side of the dialogue-fests in Star Ocean 2 and Mario Tennis Power Tour (though I loved both those games otherwise), what with going to the second town and then to Oak's house, only to find out that you have to go back through the second and on to the first town, and then after that you have to go back through the second town and onward to a point past Oak's house before you can really get started. Ugh.

Oh, and the terrible level balancing. I hope we never see an Elite 4 with Pokemon in the level 40s again. And the first gym leader didn't even hit level 10. Just wow...

Okay, so this update really relieves me. Not because I care about the costume changes or anything, but because it shows that brawl isn't purely focusing on the newest iterations of the franchises. It had worried me earlier with the wario ware/mother 3/sunshine stuff seeming exclusive, but now I feel assured it will cover a good spectrum of history for the franchises.

TreIII

NeonZ said:
They did get many different VAs for Snake's Codec conversations.

And I'm sure that drove up the budget enough on that end, too. So, again, I doubt that they would spend that much on VAs, especially when the most lines of text that the majority would have to read would be a bunch of the various grunts, shouts and screams that would be appropriate for a fighting game.

Jiggy37 said:
There are too many unfinished storyline issues (of all things!) from FR/LG and D/P to leave the G/S remake hanging. Mostly the references to Giovanni's kid in FR/LG, but also lesser things like the odd cameo appearance of Jasmine in D/P and the D/P opening reference to a red Gyarados in a lake.

Giovanni's kid is the red-haired rival/bastard from G/S (who I believe is named "Silver"). I believe it was alluded to in an interview in the past, and then the Pokemon manga (which stars Red and crew, and is on the whole much better than the anime with Satoshi) just ran away with it and pretty much made it official.

Who knows if the games will ever address this factoid officially, but it would be nice if a G/S remake would just do more to patch up all the things that made that game pretty lackluster, most of which has already been listed.

And hey, I'm sure such a game could be another vehicle used to help move more DS's. But I would kinda need to see GameFreak do another platformer game first. I wants another Pulseman, dammit! :lol

Rambaldi

I would kill for a GSC remake. My favorite of the series, hands down.

As far as last night's update, I am very happy. I loathe Wario's WW design, so the fact that he has his CLassic outfit thrills me.

Firestorm

DP > GSC

I never understood the love for GSC. Nostalgia-blinded people should be going for RBY, but they all seem to think GSC is godly. I think the reason is because it included Kanto.

TreIII

Firestorm said:
DP > GSC

I never understood the love for GSC. Nostalgia-blinded people should be going for RBY, but they all seem to think GSC is godly. I think the reason is because it included Kanto.

I'm a RBY dude at heart, but even I would be willing to admit that GSC was a good step forward for the series, I would think. We were allowed to carry over our old rosters, the time mechanic was implemented for the first time and there were a number of other things that I thought just rounded out the package deal quite nicely.

Sure, GSC had its issues, but I don't think that was enough to put the entire game on blast. That's why I think a remake would be a nice thing, in order for GameFreak to have the ability to go back, and patch up those things that needed to be fixed.

Plus, it would just kind of make sense. With a GSC remake added to the DS library, we'd then be able to say that every Pokemon and every region in that world, up to now, can now be accessed on one system.

Though, I'm expecting the obligatory 3rd string 4th generation game would be unveiled first.

...And while we're on the subject of Pokemon...Jiggy! I believe you still had Charmander and Totodile eggs you owed me... :D

NeonZ

So, again, I doubt that they would spend that much on VAs, especially when the most lines of text that the majority would have to read would be a bunch of the various grunts, shouts and screams that would be appropriate for a fighting game.

Well, but it does show they're willing to spend some (at least, for Snake). Besides, if it's only grunts, couldn't they recycle the sound effects from other games?

In any case, I don't think there will be other alternate costumes besides Wario's (though I'm still hoping for moveset clones like in SSBM), so this is kind of pointless.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DP has many problems as well, for one the shitty slowed down battle pace and stupid level spike between Victory Road and the Elite 4

G/S introduced time of day, night and day changes, seasonal pokemon, split special stat, breeding, happiness, held items, berries, custom pokeballs, repeatable trainer battles, radio show, saving money, mail, steel and dark pokemon and the end of psychic domination. I think it also introduced the compartment backpack. Its the only one to have you revisit a previous areas and have battles beyond the Elite 4.

Jiggy

I think it's great how many of us prefer True Wario. At least I'm not the only sane one. :D

Easytoremember said:
Okay, so this update really relieves me. Not because I care about the costume changes or anything, but because it shows that brawl isn't purely focusing on the newest iterations of the franchises. It had worried me earlier with the wario ware/mother 3/sunshine stuff seeming exclusive, but now I feel assured it will cover a good spectrum of history for the franchises.
Well, we also had the Ocarina of Time Zelda colors carried over, and the three new playable Pokemon are all twelve years old. And Snake's not his MGS4 self either.
Now to just hope that Captain Falcon is still Captain Falcon and not Berserker.

TreIII said:
Giovanni's kid is the red-haired rival/bastard from G/S (who I believe is named "Silver"). I believe it was alluded to in an interview in the past, and then the Pokemon manga (which stars Red and crew, and is on the whole much better than the anime with Satoshi) just ran away with it and pretty much made it official.
Yeah, it was pretty much confirmed for the games in FR/LG, as the last Team Rocket holdouts said Giovanni's kid had red hair.

Sure, GSC had its issues, but I don't think that was enough to put the entire game on blast. That's why I think a remake would be a nice thing, in order for GameFreak to have the ability to go back, and patch up those things that needed to be fixed.
Yes, exactly. It did many great things and was still an excellent game, but it had a great share of problems that honestly wouldn't be too hard to fix. I want to actually enjoy Johto for once.

...And while we're on the subject of Pokemon...Jiggy! I believe you still had Charmander and Totodile eggs you owed me...
PM me a friend code, I'll PM you mine, and we can trade any time. >_>

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
I think it's great how many of us prefer True Wario. At least I'm not the only sane one. :D

Hey, I'm just happy that it's a costume, and not a whole other character space being taken up. When I first woke up this morning at 6, I almost thought that Sakurai broke his unspoken rule about clones... :D

Well, we also had the Ocarina of Time Zelda colors carried over, and the three new playable Pokemon are all twelve years old. And Snake's not his MGS4 self either.
Now to just hope that Captain Falcon is still Captain Falcon and not Berserker.

PM me a friend code, I'll PM you mine, and we can trade any time. >_>

We got a deal.

Though, I haven't picked up my Pearl in so long...I think I was in the middle of hunting down the last of those 3 bastards that wander all over the world map. And since I don't have another Master Ball...yeah, that's going to be fun. :lol

GSC was good simply because it allowed you to go between both Kanto and Johto. I hate how the newer games limit it to the new regions only. Personally, I would've preferred that they kept all the old regions plus added new regions to every game. The new regions are all basically the same as Kanto, except with different names (all of the starter towns look like Pallet town, etc.); and I think it would just be better to expand the universe by upgrading Kanto with each new rendition (more cities, more detailed, larger cities, etc.) rather than changing the region every time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Crimson Blur said:
GSC was good simply because it allowed you to go between both Kanto and Johto. I hate how the newer games limit it to the new regions only. Personally, I would've preferred that they kept all the old regions plus added new regions to every game. The new regions are all basically the same as Kanto, except with different names (all of the starter towns look like Pallet town, etc.); and I think it would just be better to expand the universe by upgrading Kanto with each new rendition (more cities, more detailed, larger cities, etc.) rather than changing the region every time.

Too much of a good thing...slogging through the old regions each game would ruin the experience and grow repetitive. They just need more stuff after the Elite Four...for those of us who neither care about getting every pokemon nor want a perfect battle team

Jiggy

Sometimes I want to learn Japanese. The only problem is that then anime songs would become just like English songs to me, where I'd hate 98% of them specifically because of the lyrics. I like things I don't understand--they're harder to criticize. >_>

Anyway, uh, the Google translation sucks, but here are some random interesting bits that may or may not make any sense at all.

DIDIKONGU staple character and the pit, Ike, Meta Knight, Wario and has been limited to 14 people. [roster of 14]

MOTHER fans Notice is unfortunate, but apparently the RYUKA使えなso.
10:43 RYUKA move AGURESSHIBU than expected. [I have no idea on either of these things. Lucas hits harder than expected, perhaps?]

Then, classical controller is not correct.
Hey, it is in doubt buttons confusion. [guess we'll be needing to tweak to get the classic right, if these impressions are correct]

13:20 RYUKA destroyed when the voice is "OU!". PK Thunder voice, PO by foreigners. [English voice acting, maybe]

Wii remote control to experience free play, but
Surprisingly, the controller make it simpler and easier classic! [I still think that using the remote only will be the worst setup, but whatever :p]

Trump card PARUTENA GYARAKUSHIADAKUNESU Guard and it is also using the Meta Knight, but acerbic! [either Meta Knight or Pit seems better than the other?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom