• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Prediction Threads: Discussion/Voting for new points systems

donny2112

Zynx said:
Cheesemeister said:
Nah, just sum the absolute differences between the prediction and actual for each system. Lowest diff wins
Yes, I think this is best. It rewards being accurate with predictions, and it doesn't matter what others have predicted.

That's the normal way the monthly predictions are done. That's not stopping. It doesn't work for multiple months, though, as some months (e.g. December) would way skew the results because of how much the top 10 would be off by in absolute terms.

Zynx said:
Let's say example A has true numbers of 147k, and people predicted 145k 144k 143k 100k. The 143k predictor is in 3rd place despite being very close.

That is a common fallacy. No one knows what the correct value is beforehand, so using a "Price is Right" method is doomed to failure. Also if certain users started doing that, we could just stop using taking their predictions. Essentially "ban" them from the prediction threads.

Zynx said:
That's why I like systems that don't take into account what others have predicted.

System #2 is the one that would do that. It ranks purely based on how well the user did compared to the "truth."

Zynx said:
Oh, as carryover your q from the previous thread...what I propose to avoid the need for hand copy-pasting into excel is requiring everyone to follow the same format when posting their predictions. It doesn't need to be complicated. Then a program could automatically extract predictions. (Actually it'd end up being a very, very, very simple version of what Cheesemeister does for Media-Create.)

As simple as [system] prediction (k) would do for a format, for example:

[Wii] 430k
[DS] 450k
[PS2] 190k
[Xbox 360] 180k
[GBA] 80k
[PS3] 90k
[Xbox] 10k

It would also have to extract the username that predicted, and be flexible enough to handle a fully spelled out prediction (e.g. 430,225 instead of 430K). Entries that don't follow the format would still need to be entered by hand, but saving some time is better than saving none.

FYI, it probably takes me about 30-45 seconds or less on average to enter in most users' entries, so an automatic method would have to be faster than that on a per entry basis, including the time taken to copy-and-paste into the parser. Pretty much every concept I've come up with for a parser would potentially take about as long to process with all the overhead taken into account.

Cheesemeister said:
That'd be a cinch to program. :)

Would you care to give it a shot? :)

Earthstrike said:
If we're still doing monthly deviation sums and ranking people, people can get bonus points for how they place in that ranking system. These points shouldn't have the ability to dominate the points distributed by system #2, but they should play a small role.

That's what the "*3" rule under System #2 is. Potentially, we could use the #1-#10 bonus values from System #1 there.

Fredescu said:
Thanks for the effort you and others are putting into this by the way,

:)

ComputerNerd said:
Wouldn't it be easier for somebody to just create a simple website to record the stats?

sonycowboy said:
The best hope would be to have an application support it. It is a little bit of work, but to get the best participation, it's best to let people make their predictions in their own way, and not make it overly difficult on them.

border said:
What does the person with the most points win?

A Life?

Pssst. You're posting on a video game message board on the INTERNETS. ;)

deadbeef

donny2112 said:
It would also have to extract the username that predicted, and be flexible enough to handle a fully spelled out prediction (e.g. 430,225 instead of 430K). Entries that don't follow the format would still need to be entered by hand, but saving some time is better than saving none.

A well-formed regular expression should be able to handle that.

apujanata

Since most prefer system 2, I also vote for system 2.

However, I think that :
- point #1 should be changed from 25 point to lower point (5-10 points). The 25 points is too big a bonus (10%+). This will keep things from competitive until Dec, for the yearly points.
- I agree that there is a bonus for position #1 to #10. Just use the bonus rules from system 1.
- The points calculation should be rounded up to the nearest 2 digit decimal for each component. So, 18.33333333 became 18.33. The way I see it, most of the vote will be very close (for those who did not get the "right order of the h/w position" bonus), and it is important to keep track of the 2 digit after decimal value).
- We need to decide the closing time of this point system discussion. If one week after OP (June 10) sufficiently long ?

donny2112,
After we decided on the actual system and bonus calculation, can you please calculate the points for previous months (each months a separate list) for all predictor ?

donny2112 said:
Would you care to give it a shot? :)

Yeah, sure thing. The actual formula used to do the rankings would be just that -- a formula -- so it'd be easy to change. The initial implementation, of course, will just be the absolute diffs... I think Nov. and Dec. should be worth more in terms of cumulative rankings, as more sales are at stake during those months.

donny2112 said:

Parser flexibility isn't a problem; errors can be reported. Case-insensitivity, subtle variations on system names, interpretation of "K", and order of system predictions are no issue.

ComputerNerd said:
Wouldn't it be easier for somebody to just create a simple website to record the stats?

Enter your user name, and the #'s for each system. Simple. Disable it when NPD's are about to come out.

Then you can calculate the results MUCH easier.

I think it would be easier than using a parser. It'd be faster, and more accurate.

Uh... I'm afraid I've let my website-creating skills lapse. I was thinking about doing such a thing for downloadable game sales tracking, but have been putting it off due to all the homework involved.

donny2112

apujanata said:
- point #1 should be changed from 25 point to lower point (5-10 points). The 25 points is too big a bonus (10%+).

I think 15 points may be more reasonable. That is just over 10%. The most that have gotten the order correct this year is 12/160 in April, so it's not like everyone gets it, anyways. In sonycowboy's original system, there were a lot more possible points due to software, so 25 points in that system wasn't relatively as big a bonus.

apujanata said:
- The points calculation should be rounded up to the nearest 2 digit decimal for each component.

Full precision is kept internally. I would only plan on posting to 2 decimal points, though.

apujanata said:
- We need to decide the closing time of this point system discussion. If one week after OP (June 10) sufficiently long ?

Based on how the vote is going so far, it may be enough to decide tomorrow. :)

While there were some votes for the way rankings are already done (and will keep being done) and a few other misc. ideas, the main vote at this point is ...

1 - i
2 - xv

Edit:
Cheesemeister said:
Yeah, sure thing. The actual formula used to do the rankings would be just that -- a formula -- so it'd be easy to change.

I use Excel for recording the predictions and then move that to Access to tally the rankings. If the parser could just get it into an easy to read format for Excel, that'd be a great first step. :D

donny2112 said:
I use Excel for recording the predictions and then move that to Access to tally the rankings. If the parser could just get it into an easy to read format for Excel, that'd be a great first step. :D

I can do you one better and output the results of applying any formula in nicely-formatted BBCode text.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
I can do you one better and output the results of applying any formula in nicely-formatted BBCode text.

The way I currently do System #2 in Access:

1. Read the monthly hardware results from a table and come up with a "system, rank" virtual table for that month.
2. Take all the predictions for that month and come up with a "username, system, rank" table for that month.
3. Compare the "system, rank" values from the virtual table in #1 on a username basis to the table in #2.
4. If they all equal, user gets 25 points. Otherwise, they get 0.

That's the first set of points. The second set is a much easier and straight-forward comparison of the % difference per system on a username basis and multiply that by 20. I then have a query go and sum up the points, grouped by username.

The second part is a straight-forward formula. Do you think it would be worth the trouble for you to program the first part into a parser?

Edit:
OatmealMu said:
A points system!

:lol bishoptl said something similar about sonycowboy's point system back-in-the-day, too.

donny2112 said:
The way I currently do System #2 in Access:

Algorithm

The second part is a straight-forward formula. Do you think it would be worth the trouble for you to program the first part into a parser?

Yeah, that's all simple table sorting and comparison stuff. Very straightforward.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
OatmealMu said:
A points system!

Might as well make it interesting right? In a way you could say these guys are playing more games than the rest of GAF by doing this.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
Yeah, that's all simple table sorting and comparison stuff. Very straightforward.

Cool. :) Thanks!

Edit:
What about entries that aren't automatically parsed? You mentioned that it would output errors, if it couldn't parse the data, so I can just use my old, decrepit method on those. :D

Edit2:
Could the parser still have an option to output the username and predictions data? I keep a monthly Excel sheet with most of the prediction results from the last year, and I'd like to keep that current, if possible. :)

donny2112 said:
Cool. :) Thanks!

Edit:
What about entries that aren't automatically parsed? You mentioned that it would output errors, if it couldn't parse the data, so I can just use my old, decrepit method on those. :D

Edit2:
Could the parser still have an option to output the username and predictions data? I keep a monthly Excel sheet with most of the prediction results from the last year, and I'd like to keep that current, if possible. :)

I'll provide a template for users to copy/paste, but will try and make it as robust as possible. Data parsed in can be spit out again with a simple for loop. In what format?

border said:
What does the person with the most points win?

A Life?
Hey, as long as we're here arguing pointless stuff anyway, we might as well have a record of whether or not person Z is ever even close to right.

Cheesemeister said:
Yeah, sure thing. The actual formula used to do the rankings would be just that -- a formula -- so it'd be easy to change. The initial implementation, of course, will just be the absolute diffs... I think Nov. and Dec. should be worth more in terms of cumulative rankings, as more sales are at stake during those months.

Parser flexibility isn't a problem; errors can be reported. Case-insensitivity, subtle variations on system names, interpretation of "K", and order of system predictions are no issue.

Uh... I'm afraid I've let my website-creating skills lapse. I was thinking about doing such a thing for downloadable game sales tracking, but have been putting it off due to all the homework involved.

I can do the website. Keep in mind that it would be extremely simple.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
It seems most people prefer system 2 more, so now can we have a tally for the first four months of the year and the last three months based on this system?

apujanata

starship said:
It seems most people prefer system 2 more, so now can we have a tally for the first four months of the year and the last three months based on this system?

List it for each month, not just the combined year result and last three months result.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
In what format?

Username, and then the seven main system predictions, and then GameCube and Xbox. The order doesn't really matter for me, as I can just move the columns around in Excel. What I currently use is PS2, GBA, NDS, PSP, 360, PS3, Wii, XBX, GCN, in that order.

tanod

when is my burrito
I really like the points idea. System #1

Is it also possible that you could set up a google spreadsheet so we could see all the results?

Can you also post the statistical median to see how the data skews?

How about predicting the top 3 or 5 SW titles? Maybe not numbers but order for additional points?

tanod said:
How about predicting the top 3 or 5 SW titles? Maybe not numbers but order for additional points?

I'm working on this in a larger sense. Let's hold off on this for a little bit. (Also, when I did have the SW as part of the contest, the SW predictions were about a 1/10th of the HW predictions in terms of participation).

tanod

when is my burrito
sonycowboy said:
I'm working on this in a larger sense. Let's hold off on this for a little bit. (Also, when I did have the SW as part of the contest, the SW predictions were about a 1/10th of the HW predictions in terms of participation).

That makes sense but with a points system, it could be an easy way to earn an extra 5 points or so. Suppose I predict:

1. Pokemon Diamond
2. Pokemon Pearl
3. Mario Party 8
4. God of War 2
5. Odin Sphere

and the actual results are

1. Odin Sphere :D (no point)
2. Pokemon Pearl (+1 point)
3. Pokemon Diamond (no point)
4. God of War 2 (+1 point)
5. Mario Party 8 (no point)

so I get 2 bonus points for April.

With bonus points, it gives people an incentive to add their picks but doesn't try to burden anybody with pulling more numbers out of their ass or somebody having to calculate how close the predictors were to the actual sales number and assigning rank.

I prefer system 2, though I don't like scoring point 1 (bonus for correct order), as I don't really see what it adds as to the system in regards to guaging quality of predictions. Doesn't % tell us all we need to know? If someone doesn't pick the systems in the correct order, than his % difference will account for this, right?

donny2112

DayShallCome said:
If someone doesn't pick the systems in the correct order, than his % difference will account for this, right?

Not with close systems. For April, someone could have predicted 1-5 correct, but put PS3 at 85K and GBA at 83K. Percentage-wise those aren't far off, but it prevented him from getting the order correct. If it helps, you can think of it like bonus points, though it actually does take a good bit of predicting to get the order correct and have decent percentages.

I think it's pretty clear that most are in favor of System #2. With that in mind, here's the more finalized version of System #2.

Rules

1. 15 points for getting hardware positions correct.

2. 20 points * (percentage of correct units for hardware system); anything over 100% difference = 0 points. Maximum points: 140

3. Bonus points for finishing in the top 10 by units for the month:
#1 - 17 points
#2 - 12 points
#3 - 11 points
#4 - 9 points
#5 - 7 points
#6 - 5 points
#7 - 4 points
#8 - 3 points
#9 - 2 points
#10 - 1 point

Using that system, here are the 2007 top ten and the top ten for just the last three months.

NPD Prediction Points Leaders (2007)

1. BuzzJive - 488.71
2. sonycowboy - 487.3
3. argon - 483.09
4. GhaleonEB - 477.65
5. donny2112 - 476.37
6. JoshuaJSlone - 463.1
7. Clever Pun - 462.58
8. starship - 449.25
9. duderon - 448.77
10. Orgen - 448.24

NPD Prediction Points Leaders (3 months)

1. BuzzJive - 368.48
2. donny2112 - 360.13
3. argon - 356.33
4. Jokeropia - 353.8
5. DayShallCome - 352.52
6. Clever Pun - 351.55
7. Heidir - 350.91
8. sonycowboy - 343.28
9. GhaleonEB - 342.8
10. starship - 341.71

Ordered, but unnumbered, points listings for each month can be found here. I plan on updating that page with each new month's data after it's calculated.

donny2112 said:
Not with close systems. For April, someone could have predicted 1-5 correct, but put PS3 at 85K and GBA at 83K. Percentage-wise those aren't far off, but it prevented him from getting the order correct. If it helps, you can think of it like bonus points, though it actually does take a good bit of predicting to get the order correct and have decent percentages.

Yah, makes sense. But in the case you mentioned, that makes 2k worth 15 points (+ the % difference penalty). I'm not a big fan of doing the ordering, but it isn't a big deal at all. As long as everyone plays by the same rules, it makes no real difference.

Thanks for all the work Donny.

apujanata

donny2112 said:
Rules
3. Bonus points for finishing in the top 10 by units for the month:
#1 - 17 points
#2 - 12 points
#3 - 11 points
#4 - 9 points
#5 - 7 points
#6 - 5 points
#7 - 4 points
#8 - 3 points
#9 - 2 points
#10 - 1 point

/QUOTE]

From #2 to #3 is only 1 points difference. Suggestion :
1. change #2 to 13 points and #1 to 18 points
2. change #3 to 10 points, #4 to 8 points, #5 to 6 points.

Post formatting guidelines for the parser...

List numeric values following system tags on their own lines in a post. All non-numeric characters following the tag will be stripped out, save for the first instance of the letter K in either upper or lower-case, which will be replaced with 3 zeroes. Make predictions by the set deadline, at which point the parser will be run. If a given poster has more than one post with predictions, guesses in subsequent posts will override previous guesses. By the same token, subsequent guesses on the same system within a given post will overwrite previous guesses.

Some examples of valid input follow, but do at least keep them readable for your fellow forum-goers.

[PS2] 123,456
[PSP] 123456
[PS3] 123K
[360] 123k - because of Halo 3 anticipation
[GBA]12 3 Totakeke
[NGC] 1 2 3 4 5 6
[NDS] 123456 (You will say WOW.)
[WII] 123'456

Invalid input:

Sony PlayStation 2: 123,455 plus one
PS Three - 123KK
Weeeeee ~ one hundred twenty-three thousand kajillion units!!!1lol

Any lines without valid input, i.e. your comments, will be ignored. Questions, comments?

C4Lukins

What is with all of this complicated bull shit? Just take the 6 systems that are relavent..... 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, DS, and PSP. Guess the numbers, and then establish who was closest. Nobody cares how GBA is selling anymore, or GC, or XBOX. It is just annoying to have to think about it. Go with the 6 systems that are still very active and that we can follow. Yes GBA is still around, but nobody gives a ****, and there is no real basis to predict its sales on. Let it die.

C4Lukins said:
What is with all of this complicated bull shit? Just take the 6 systems that are relavent..... 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, DS, and PSP. Guess the numbers, and then establish who was closest. Nobody cares how GBA is selling anymore, or GC, or XBOX. It is just annoying to have to think about it. Go with the 6 systems that are still very active and that we can follow. Yes GBA is still around, but nobody gives a ****, and there is no real basis to predict its sales on. Let it die.
dont ask me

Parl

donny2112 said:
Ordered, but unnumbered, points listings for each month can be found here. I plan on updating that page with each new month's data after it's calculated.

Wow, I managed to get 2nd place for April with getting Wii nearly 100 off.

donny2112

apujanata said:
From #2 to #3 is only 1 points difference. Suggestion :
1. change #2 to 13 points and #1 to 18 points
2. change #3 to 10 points, #4 to 8 points, #5 to 6 points.

I'm pretty sure I used your exact previous suggestion for the bonus points. :p Just so it's not too different from what was previously used, I'll just change the #2 to 13 points, so it makes more sense. :)

Cheesemeister said:
Any lines without valid input, i.e. your comments, will be ignored. Questions, comments?

If I do the prediction thread, I'll suggest they use that formatting, but I'll still allow them to use their own formatting. It just won't be understood by the parser. Those predictions would then have to be entered by hand (i.e. how previous months have been). The idea is that giving more freedom in how you post predictions gets more participation.

I would guess that most will use the parser format, though, so that'll still be a huge time-saver. Thanks! :D

C4Lukins said:
Just take the 6 systems that are relavent..... 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, DS, and PSP. ... Nobody cares how GBA is selling anymore,

If I do the prediction thread, I'll still use GBA all of this year. If you don't predict a GBA number, I'll just assume you thought it would sell zero that month.

Bildi said:
Nice work donny. :)

It's mostly based off of sonycowboy's previous points system with input from others, too, but thanks! :)

Top Bottom