• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQM: JOKER (official thread of sweetness)

2gwyfwy.jpg

:Overview taken from wikipedia:
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is the first game in the Dragon Quest Monsters series to be in 3D, and the first game developed by TOSE in 3D. It uses the Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King game engine out of battle. It has cel-shaded animation, similar to those of Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2. The graphics in the battles are the same style as Dragon Quest VIII: issue commands in a turn based style, then watch them be executed in full 3D.

The battle system itself is very similar to previous Dragon Quest Monsters games. You have up to three monsters in your party, you can issue them direct orders or set them to one of 4 AI settings. Your main character does not directly participate in battles except for using items when told to do so.

Joker does not have random battles. The only way to encounter enemies is to run into one on the overworld. The monsters can be seen, avoided, and attacked from their back to get a free attack round.

This is the first game in the series to have online play, via Nintendo Wi-Fi.

Once again, the character and monster designs are credited to long-time Dragon Quest series artist, Akira Toriyama.

========================================================
Ships 11/6/07

There is a freebie for those that preorder:
Purchase Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and receive a DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS: JOKER Green Bays Map Screen Wiper FREE! Keep your DS screen clean and never get lost in DQMJ! Available in-store and online. Screen wiper will ship with game. Supplies are limited. (from gamestop.com)

Here is the promo video for the japanese version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUP4ZcFj9k

Here is a wifi battle video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvXyVKR9ZE

As you can see, the monsters are all kinda cell shaded and animated, ala Dragon Questo 8, with similar graphics.

I for one, having played the earlier GBC versions, am waiting Anxiously for this release, as it will be another of the "testing grounds" and the better it sells, the more of a chance we have of getting the coming remakes.

Remember that the monster age of consent is lvl 10

----------------------------------
my review of DQM:J

GET READY TO BE GLUED TO YOUR NINTENDO DS FOR HOURS!

DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS:JOKER PROVIDES A FULL FEATURED 3D WORLD, DETAILED MONSTER ANIMATIONS, AND A PERFECT ACCOMPANYING SOUNDTRACK.

THE GAME STORY IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD, AS THE PREVIOUS DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS GAMES HAVE BEEN. IT BASICALLY TELLS YOU ABOUT SOME THINGS THAT YOU HAVE TO DO, BEFORE YOU GET INTO A TOURNAMENT. IN THE PATH TO THE TOURNAMENT, YOU START LEARNING A LIL BIT ABOUT THE LAND, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE, AND THE TOWNS STORIES OR LEGENDS.

WHAT REALLY BRINGS THE DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS GAMES TO LIFE, IS THE BREEDING SYSTEM. IT JUST AIN'T A SYSTEM WHERE YOU WANT TO GET THE SAME MONSTER, BUT, EVERYTIME YOU BREED, YOU GET A COMPLETELY NEW MONSTER, WITH THE SKILLS AND STATS INHERITED BY THE PARENTS.

THE MUSICAL SCORE IS COMPOSED BY THE SAME PERSON WHO HAS BEEN IN CHARGE OF THE MUSIC OF PREVIOUS DRAGON QUEST GAMES. KOICHI SUGIYAMA'S MARK IS REALLY NOTICEABLE ON THIS GAME, BUT INSTEAD OF GIVING YOU THE ADVENTURING AND KINDA LONELY MUSIC YOU GET FROM GAMES LIKE DRAGON QUEST I~III, YOU GET A COMPLETELY NEW MUSIC, WICH PRETTY MUCH MAKES YOU FEEL AS IF YOU WERE TRAVELING WITH YOUR COMPANIONS, IN A WORLD THAT JUST IS BEGGING TO GET EXPLORED.

ON THE GRAPHICS SIDE OF THE GAME, WELL, THE DRAGON QUEST SERIES HAVE NEVER BEEN NOTICEABLE FOR THEIR SHINY GRAPHICS OR A LOT OF VIDEOS, BUT FOR STORY AND GAMEPLAY. ANYWAYS, IF YOU'VE PLAYED OR WATCHED DRAGON QUEST 8, THIS GAME SPORTS THE SAME QUALITY OF GRAPHICS AND ANIMATIONS, ONLY ADAPTED TO THE SMALL SCREEN.

WELL I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS REVIEW, I MIGHT AS WELL END THIS BY SAYING THAT, EVEN WHILE BEING A "SPIN OFF" GAME, IT DOESN'T GIVE OUT THAT SENSATION.

SOOOO, FOLLOWING THE IGN SCORING SYSTEM:
GRAPHICS: 9/10
LOSES 1 POINT FOR SUPER PIXELY SKY, BUT OTHERWISE PERFECT
SOUND: 10/10
PERFECT!!! GRAB SOME HEADPHONES!
GAMEPLAY: N/A
UHM, WELL, IT DOESN'T APPLY TO RPG'S ...
REPLAYABILITY: 10/10
THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO IN GAME, THAT YOU WILL BE PLAYING THIS FOR AT LEAST 50 HOURS ... AND THEN SOME MORE

ALSO, YOU MIGHT AS WELL GIVE IT A TRY TO WIFI MODE. EVERYDAY THEY HAVE A FREEBIE, SO EVEN IF YOU DON'T WIN, JUST LOG IN TO UPLOAD STATS, AND GET A FREEBIE!

REMEMBER THAT WIFI COMPETITION IS TOUGH!

Bo130

Famitsu review score:

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker | 10 / 9 / 8 / 9 | 36/40

Scored the same as lovely games such as Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros. and Gyakuten Saiban 4.

Red Scarlet

I don't play these kinds of games, but hopefully there are lots of cool monsters for you guys to play with. Go with a Gigantes if they're in there!

Aeana

It's a really fun game, and I had more fun with it than with the other DQM games. I'll probably buy it again in English to support it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Red Scarlet said:
I don't play these kinds of games, but hopefully there are lots of cool monsters for you guys to play with. Go with a Gigantes if they're in there!
DQ5 last boss is in iirc

Red Scarlet

Never thought
Mildrath
was very impressive. I recall that a lot of earlier game bosses/end bosses from 1-4 were in the earlier monster games. Orochi+Baramos ftw or something.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
Never thought
Mildrath
was very impressive. I recall that a lot of earlier game bosses/end bosses from 1-4 were in the earlier monster games. Orochi+Baramos ftw or something.

He's awesome. (DQ5 spoilers)
His
meditate
move is in the DQM games, too.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Baramos yeah, I fucking love the music that plays in that fight in DQ3r.

Down like a clown Charlie Brown. Err, yeah, I mean day one purchase. The Japanese version was fun to muck about in but I needs me a localised copy to play through.

ksamedi

I thought the monster collecting and battling was one of the more interesting parts of DQ8. I'm definitly interested in this game.

firex

wait, what? online? I assume it's not real online, but local wireless. doesn't matter, this is a game I definitely want to check out. I liked the first DQM (all the way back when it was still called Dragon Warrior over here) and this one looks to be just as good.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
firex said:
wait, what? online? I assume it's not real online, but local wireless. doesn't matter, this is a game I definitely want to check out. I liked the first DQM (all the way back when it was still called Dragon Warrior over here) and this one looks to be just as good.
No, real online battles, it was a huge draw for the game in Japan.

Aeana

jj984jj said:
No, real online battles, it was a huge draw for the game in Japan.

They're not really online, unless it was changed in the NA release. You upload your monsters, and the AI controls them against other players.

Kazenone

Aeana said:
They're not really online, unless it was changed in the NA release. You upload your monsters, and the AI controls them against other players.

There was an interview with one of the developers in ONM (issue after SE Party), and he said they were planning to improve the online structure for the US/EU release of the game. I assume he meant real online battles.

firex

oh. that's kind of... I don't know, ok I guess.

I mostly had fun in DQM breeding the old DQ bosses. I think I had a Dracolord (wizard form) around the time I eventually got tired of the game for some reason. Well, I know the reason... it was like 200 hours of play.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:
Oh... :(

Kinda surprised at the amount of people who still do that in JPN then.

andy_lhc

I tried the JPN version a couple of months ago...but I didn't really know what was going on ...:lol ..But this is definitely Day 1 for me....:D

larvi

Big fan of the series and have all 3 GBC games in the series and will be getting this game. Hopefully day 1 if I can find it on sale anywhere, if not I will wait for price drop. $40 is a bit steep for a DS title for me and I think it's going to hurt sales which is unfortunate.

Jirotrom

larvi said:
Big fan of the series and have all 3 GBC games in the series and will be getting this game. Hopefully day 1 if I can find it on sale anywhere, if not I will wait for price drop. $40 is a bit steep for a DS title for me and I think it's going to hurt sales which is unfortunate.
I thought it was 35, everywhere I've checked its 35.00... also how many monsters are in the game to collect?

larvi

Jirotrom said:
I thought it was 35, everywhere I've checked its 35.00... also how many monsters are in the game to collect?

Where at? Just checked EB Games, WalMart and CC and all are showing 40.

Edit - found it at Amazon for 34.99 + free shipping. My preorder is in...yay!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
IPGlider said:
Will they release the game in Europe? If they release it maybe I wait for the euro-release... So much games these months.

I covered this not too long ago, DQM: J is coming in early 2008 to PAL Land.

Jirotrom

Aeana said:
I've had it every single time I've ordered a high-profile game from them.
probably because on day one stuff I usually pick up from work, otherwise I just do the 3-5 day shipping. I don't need SQM day one as I'll be playing COD4, GHIII and VF5, at that time followed by Mario Galaxy.

ethelred

I'm looking forward to this game. I've enjoyed what I've played of it quite a bit -- from what I've seen in English, the game seems to have the same high quality localization that the Dragon Quest series has been getting in recent years (DQ8, Rocket Slime). Really solid gameplay, too.

I hate that Square Enix is charging a premium price for it, though -- 40$ is a lot to ask for a handheld game (more than I want to pay). Also, I want the game to do well. The DQ series needs more success in the states. Ah well; I'll still be buying it.

firex

yeah, the price is a little steep. But if it's like the other DQM games, it's got a lot of gameplay in it so it'll actually be worth it.

Top Bottom