• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra 4 official site live

Crushed

Fry Daddy
THIS IS THE GREATEST WEBSITE EVER

The descriptions, the writing, it perfectly embraces what is Contra. :lol

Johnas

Awesome, looks like the Laser has a much faster rate of fire in this game.

I always called "B" Bionic, instead of Barrier. :p I never knew the proper name.

In that vid for the Machine Gun, you can tell they completely nailed the look and feel of Contra.

And oh yes, the music <3 <3 <3

Awesome site.

I wish they didn't show the last level though :(

Edit: I wonder who the other unlockable characters are, since we only know 1 of the 5.

Simon Belmont and Solid Snake would make the game hilariously awesome.

lyre

My only complaint is the Flame weapon is not Super C's bursting flame weapon, but other than that fuck yes bitches! I especially liked this part of the character descriptions: "Rizer's credo is to shoot first, keep shooting, and don't ask questions until they're no longer relevant."

The only music I have on now is the background song that's playing from the flash. Awesome, awesome awesome!:D :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This website put hair on my chest, no lie.

ThirstyFly said:
I wonder who the other unlockable characters are, since we only know 1 of the 5.

Simon Belmont and Solid Snake would make the game hilariously awesome.

You have the best ideas ever. Solid Snake as an unlockable character would be....I don't even have words for it, it would JUST BE!

Okay, here's where they show off the weapons and their upgrades. The Super C style flame gun looks even more deadly.

clicky

It says Stage Demo, but it's got the weapons in there too.

-Eddman-

WOW

Internet meets the 80's. Awesome website, things like this make me love old-school games even more. Buy this game bitches!

Though there is one goofup. Bill Rizer is "Mad Dog", and Lance is "Scorpion". But oh well, if that's the worst mistake they make, things are going pretty well.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Though there is one goofup. Bill Rizer is "Mad Dog", and Lance is "Scorpion". But oh well, if that's the worst mistake they make, things are going pretty well.

Mad Dog and Scorpion were split off into their own characters. Bill and Lance never had those nicknames in the original Japanese.

Although looking at the site's timeline, there were interesting things that they did with the continuity of the series, if the Japanese did approve of them.

In regards to Operation C/Contra for Gameboy, they didn't stick to the Japanese story of Bill and Lance vs unnamed country, they gave the newly created Mad Dog and Scorpion the credit and the enemy was the Black Viper(as in the original localization).

Mad Dog is described as buddies with Ray Poward, one of the heroes of Contra Hard Corps.

One of the cities the heroes must protect is still called Neo City, a holdover from the game that was localized as a Contra game.

duffey

Whoa I had no idea those behind the back sections from the NES Contra were in the game, that's AWESOME. Totally buying day one for sure.

Vard

That's so rawesome. I love the explosions that happen every time you change the page. :lol

And just because it's posted in like every Contra thread:
4l42mo1.gif

Johnas

duffey said:
Whoa I had no idea those behind the back sections from the NES Contra were in the game, that's AWESOME. Totally buying day one for sure.

Same here, I was pleasantly shocked to see those. I didn't like them quite as much as the regular side-scrolling or vertical-scrolling levels, but it was cool to get some variety.

I hope this game has that little "level clear" jingle from Contra 1.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Yeah, it looks like they're taking a bit of liberty with the storyline that Konami fixed in Shattered Solider. If you read the timeline on the site, it says Mad Dog and Scorpion were the guys in Operation C, as if they're different characters. Probably just so they could explain the new characters.

The US manual for the game says it's "Lance (aka Scorpion)" in Operation C. No Bill at all since that game didn't have a co-op mode. But the fixed storyline in Shattered Solider says it was Bill and not Lance.

Golden Darkness said:
Mad Dog and Scorpion were split off into their own characters. Bill and Lance never had those nicknames in the original Japanese.

Although looking at the site's timeline, there were interesting things that they did with the continuity of the series, if the Japanese did approve of them.

In regards to Operation C/Contra for Gameboy, they didn't stick to the Japanese story of Bill and Lance vs unnamed country, they gave the newly created Mad Dog and Scorpion the credit and the enemy was the Black Viper(as in the original localization).

Mad Dog is described as buddies with Ray Poward, one of the heroes of Contra Hard Corps.

One of the cities the heroes must protect is still called Neo City, a holdover from the game that was localized as a Contra game.

Where'd you get all this? A lot of that information is incorrect going by the actual game manuals. I don't have Contra III's manual (which doesn't matter anyway since they were renamed AGAIN). Operation C's manual clearly states that Lance's code name is "Scorpion" and Bill's is "Mad Dog", so they were never spun off into their own characters (until now) even in the incorrect storyline presented in the North American manuals.

And again, there was no Bill AND Lance in Operation C. It was one of the other (Bill in Japan, Lance in North America).

Beezy

Rizer's credo is to shoot first, keep shooting, and don't ask questions until they're no longer relevant.

:lol

ThirstyFly said:
Where'd you get all this? A lot of that information is incorrect going by the actual game manuals. I don't have Contra III's manual (which doesn't matter anyway since they were renamed AGAIN). Operation C's manual clearly states that Lance's code name is "Scorpion" and Bill's is "Mad Dog", so they were never spun off into their own characters (until now) even in the incorrect storyline presented in the North American manuals.

And again, there was no Bill AND Lance in Operation C. It was one of the other (Bill in Japan, Lance in North America).

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to the Contra 4's site timeline. Although I was more emphasizing on the fact that it was an unnamed country as the villian of Operation C rather than Black Viper. I only said Bill and Lance together because the site said Mad Dog and Scorpion together in regards to Operation C.

I just though its was odd the website would state such times after it seemed that Konami would restore the original stories, although they would have to make Red Falcon a terrorist force instead of a alien leader.

Golden Darkness said:
I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to the Contra 4's site timeline. Although I was more emphasizing on the fact that it was an unnamed country as the villian of Operation C rather than Black Viper. I only said Bill and Lance together because the site said Mad Dog and Scorpion together in regards to Operation C.

I just though its was odd the website would state such times after it seemed that Konami would restore the original stories, although they would have to make Red Falcon a terrorist force instead of a alien leader.

Oh, sorry about that.

It is pretty stupid that after Konami went and fixed the canon with Shattered Soldier after all the weird stuff in the North American storyline, that these guys went and messed it up again just so they could include Mad Dog and Scorpion as new characters.

If "Jimbo" and "Sully" are 2 of the 5 unlockable characters, I'm going to cry.

lyre

Damn Konami, they need to bring out Hard Corps to VC ... like yesterday!

And with that in mind, Bloodlines as well.

jman2050

"Over the Shoulder Soldier Folder"

That's the name of their giant rock :lol

They managed to make a giant rock sound manly. There's nothing they can't do.

Aeana

ThirstyFly said:
Oh, sorry about that.

It is pretty stupid that after Konami went and fixed the canon with Shattered Soldier after all the weird stuff in the North American storyline, that these guys went and messed it up again just so they could include Mad Dog and Scorpion as new characters.

I feel the need to mention that WayForward had nothing to do with the story, here - that was Konami's own guys.

ThirstyFly said:
Oh, sorry about that.

It makes you wonder what the Japanese version will contain, since the games seems pretty geared towards the fans of the original localizations(Probotector secret anyone), much less having an American team develop it.

Heck, you got to wonder if there will be a Japanese release at all.

Aeana said:
I feel the need to mention that WayForward had nothing to do with the story, here - that was Konami's own guys.

As in people in Japan, or some localizer guy in Konami's American division?

jman2050

ThirstyFly said:
Oh, sorry about that.

No offense or anything, but this is frikken Contra. Who cares about the story? :lol

jman2050 said:
No offense or anything, but this is frikken Contra. Who cares about the story? :lol

I wouldn't really care if SS and Neo Contra didn't have storyline sequences and tried to make sense of the plot, because let's face it, most 8/16-bit game storylines didn't really matter at all. But they did try to go somewhere with it with those games and it was kind of interesting.

I guess this still won't hurt SS and NC's story since Lance and Bill are still themselves, but the North American storyline is such a clusterfuck it's almost funny.

Even the Japanese isn't perfect since Lance is black for one game. Or was he just really, really tan? *shrug*

jman2050

ThirstyFly said:
I wouldn't really care if SS and Neo Contra didn't have storyline sequences and tried to make sense of the plot, because let's face it, most 8/16-bit game storylines didn't really matter at all. But they did try to go somewhere with it with those games and it was kind of interesting.

I guess this still won't hurt SS and NC's story since Lance and Bill are still themselves, but the North American storyline is such a clusterfuck it's almost funny.

Even the Japanese isn't perfect since Lance is black for one game. Or was he just really, really tan? *shrug*

Yeah, I understand the sentiment, but it's very obvious that Contra IV is supposed to go back to the good ole days when these types of games didn't need more story then 'blow everything in sight no questions asked.' I just don't think it's something someone should worry themselves over, that's all.

Also, LOL at concept art #14. Look familiar? :lol

Top Bottom