• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra 4 official site live

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Bill and Lance were called in once more to prove that even though old hostiles die hard-they still die.
SO AWESOME

They list Kobun's "Why is Contra IV SOOOOOO HARD" article on their press section. :lol

And Go Nintendo! G-N redeemed!?

jman2050 said:
"Over the Shoulder Soldier Folder"

That's the name of their giant rock

They managed to make a giant rock sound manly. There's nothing they can't do.
Don't miss this part:
If they wrote a rock song about these terrible tumblers, it would be in C Sharp or B Flat.
So corny, so fucking awesome. :lol

OMG, and the "Missile Hugger 3000"s built "to keep energy parasites from siphoning the sweet nectar from offensive weaponry. It hasn't seen much use on its home world, since there's no such thing as energy parasites." :lol :lol :lol

Rezbit

Jesus....that is possibly the best thing I have seen on the internet.

This game is going to kick my ass, isn't it guys?

angelfly

I can't believe I forgot about this. So many games this month. I'll hopefully be getting this on day one or soon after.

lyre

ThirstyFly said:
I like the way you think. If they did it, I bet we'd finally get Simon Belmont back and some friggin' levels.
I don't even care if I get levels back. If that happened, we'll get this back:
g06173jp4o1.jpg

AKA, MANLY Simon. A true vampire killer!

Rezbit said:
Jesus....that is possibly the best thing I have seen on the internet.

This game is going to kick my ass, isn't it guys?
And you, me and everyone else here will love every minute of it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I love this site. Not only is the Contra Jungle theme remix awesome, but I love the writing style. It's a perfect throwback to the instruction manual writing style of the '90s....back before games took themselves way too seriously.

Dirk McShooter:
Dirk thought he was the luckiest alien humanoid when he saw the job posting: good pay, benefits, free trip to Earth, stand in place, decent aim preferred. In the moments since the shirtless super commando opened fire, he's begun questioning that decision.

This is what video games should be like. No long cut-scenes, no pretentious attempts at a "message"; just stylish, charming characters and rock-solid gameplay.

DjangoReinhardt said:
Mario Galaxy, Rondo, and Contra IV. I love this fall so much.

Plot bitching aside, I'm actually looking forward to this more than anything else this fall. Sorry Mario and Uncharted, CONTRA is coming home.

lyre

ethelred said:
Only after they pitch Wonder Boy 7 to Sega and Klonoa 3 to Namco.
Unforunately, there is still talent left at Sega and Namco; they just don't care unlike Konami who's more or less a one trick pony. "/

But now that you put the thought of a Klonoa 3 of C4 quality in my head, GIMME!

mosaic

go eat paint
All I want to know is, after the credits roll and before the game loops into harder mode... does the screen go black and say in big white letters: "EXPECT TO COME NEXT!"

If so, I'll buy 10 copies.

Enk

makes good threads.
angelfly said:
I can't believe I forgot about this. So many games this month. I'll hopefully be getting this on day one or soon after.

Yep, this is what I was worried about. This game is coming out at the wrong time and is just going to quietly slip through the holiday season unnoticed by the masses. Then Konami will look at the numbers and go "Nope. It looks like nobody was interested in an old school 2d tribute. Sorry Iga, no sidescrolling PS360Wii Castlevania game". Had they not rushed this out for the holiday season and released it in Feb. it would've probably gotten more notice.

But hey, at least we got another 2d Contra.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
official site's obviously made with the same amount of love for the series as the game.
so much to look forward to here

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I know next to nothing about the Contra storyline, but...

Are the four games on the timeline seriously the only canonical Contra games in the entire series?

mosaic said:
All I want to know is, after the credits roll and before the game loops into harder mode... does the screen go black and say in big white letters: "EXPECT TO COME NEXT!"

If so, I'll buy 10 copies.

What game did that?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Iam Canadian said:
I know next to nothing about the Contra storyline, but...

Are the four games on the timeline seriously the only canonical Contra games in the entire series?
Eh, technically no.

But WayForward decided that all of that other stuff was stupid poop, so they blew it up with huge guns that actually erased them from history.

So, technically yes.

mosaic

go eat paint
ThirstyFly said:
What game did that?
A bunch of Konami's arcade games in the 80's... I especially remember seeing it every time my friends and I would clear GI JOE: The Arcade Game.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
"Dirk McShooter."

"In the moments since the shirtless super-commando opened fire, he's begun questioning that decision." :lol

Aeana said:
As I said to the other guy, "All right. :)"

Whoops, sorry about that. Hadn't noticed that yet.

Crushed said:
But WayForward decided that all of that other stuff was stupid poop, so they blew it up with huge guns that actually erased them from history.

Correction, Tomm Hulett and Simon Lau from Konami, as per the referenced interview. And perhaps WayForward if applicable.

sinnergy

There is one shot in the gallery of this new site.
The main character looks like the one from Probotector (contra in EU) but I am not sure if it's in this new game or a older game..

Would be cool if true.

sinnergy said:
There is one shot in the gallery of this new site.
The main character looks like the one from Probotector (contra in EU) but I am not sure if it's in this new game or a older game..

Would be cool if true.

Yeah, it was confirmed a while ago that you'd be able to unlock the Probotector as a playable character in Contra 4. Good eye though, I totally missed that looking through the screens the first time!

33nyfpg.png

GAME OF THE FOREVER.

Quagm1r3

I'd be quick to buy this game if it wasn't for what I've been hearing from 1up. A lot of them are saying that the screen gap creates a big problem because bullets and whatnot get in the gap and you can't see them.

EDIT: THIS...IS....CONTRA

Takeda Kenshi said:
So is the 20th Anniversary bundle for this still on or is it cancelled?

If you read about the bonus features, it looks like the 20th Anniversary content is in the game itself, instead of being a preorder bonus.

And mention of Ray Poward in the Character section implies that Hard Corps "still happens"

ethelred

Roland Stiles said:
If you read about the bonus features, it looks like the 20th Anniversary content is in the game itself, instead of being a preorder bonus.

And mention of Ray Poward in the Character section implies that Hard Corps "still happens"

Wow, you're really observant about this Contra stuff. How did you get such a keen eye?

baruflea

Awesome. This appears to be one of those games that will kick your ass, spit on you, knock you down, rub your face in the mud, laugh and point, and ask if you dare play again. Contra demands razor-sharp hand-eye coordination, precise timing, and a bit of luck--that well-timed power-up--along the way.

Sadly, there are too few such games made today. Gone are the games with punishing difficulty that yield tremendous satisfaction from completing 100%. Give us more such games, you silly devs, instead of these nongames and 10 hour pick up and play titles; those have their place, but some of us love grueling titles, too. *looks at my beloved Ikaruga* :D

Quagm1r3 said:
I'd be quick to buy this game if it wasn't for what I've been hearing from 1up. A lot of them are saying that the screen gap creates a big problem because bullets and whatnot get in the gap and you can't see them.

EDIT: THIS...IS....CONTRA
So? Who gives a shit what 1up thinks. Man up.

Top Bottom