• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Justice For All!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Geez, seems I'm late to the party this whole day!

Anyways, I just picked Phoenix Wright: Justice For All up and started playing it. I was a bit worried that I'd be bored instantely since it's essentialy exactly the same stuff as the last time around. But it seems that I let just enough time pass before picking it up. I'm not bored with the dialouges and they're as fun and quirky as ever. There's not enough adventure games like this out on the DS here. You hear me, Japan?

I wanna see a full PW-game made in the style of that last mission on whatever that Japanese one was named (with a lot of DS-style puzzles in the extra chapter).

Now that I think about it; I'm totally confused to wether the last one was ever released in the states? There seems to be like a million different PW-games and they're all named the same :O

santouras

some of the writing in JFA is absolutely hilarious, and Godot is a pretty awesome character. The last case gets pretty damn trippy!

firex

the PW games are Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Justice For All (#2) and Trials and Tribulations (#3).

as far as wanting a PW game with all the DS specific stuff from PW:AA case 5... that's what Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is supposed to have.

zoku88

santouras said:
some of the writing in JFA is absolutely hilarious, and Godot is a pretty awesome character. The last case gets pretty damn trippy!
Wrong game. That Trials and Tribulations :p

jvalioli

ItsInMyVeins said:
So, is english a selectable language in Apollo Justice?
No. English release is in a couple months though. If you're confused about the game sequence, I can type up the release differences real quick.

edit: In order of JAPANESE release date.

Japan ----> America
Gyakuten Saiban 1 (4 cases)
Gyakuten Saiban 2 (4 cases)
Gyakuten Saiban 3 (5 cases)
Gyakuten Saiban 1-3 PC (Released individually and as a box set)(13 cases)
Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten(re-release of Gyakuten Saiban 1 with an extra case)(5 case) -----------> Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Gyakuten Siaban 2 DS(4 cases)----------->Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Gyakuten Saiban 4(? cases) ------------->Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney(Feb. 2008)
Gyakuten Saiban 3 DS (5 cases) ---------->Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

santouras

zoku88 said:
Wrong game. That Trials and Tribulations :p
argh, I had the right game first, then I thought, no you fool, he's talking about the third one! damn subtitles :p

ok, now that I know which one we are talking about, JFA has my favourite case in the series, the final one in the game. Completely gripping from beginning to end, and absolute masterpiece!

jvalioli said:
Gyakuten Saiban 4(? cases) ------------->Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney(Feb. 2008)
Apollo Justice has 5 cases.

Justice For All was pretty meh. Case 1 was typical so I won't hold it against JFA, Case 2 was interesting but clunky, Case 3 was horrible, and Case 4 was the only really good case in the game.

santouras

Aaron Strife said:
Case 1 was typical so I won't hold it against JFA
That case was really annoying for me cause I was constantly trying to point out the obvious contradiction of
how the hell he wrote his girlfriends name AFTER his neck broke
but that didn't even come up in the entire case! I couldn't believe it!

firex

Greatness Gone said:
Case 3 was pure shit. OMG, so horrible.
yeah, I agree. I replayed it a week ago and hated it... only good thing about it is the payoff at the very end, with the conversation with that "mysterious" person who gets revealed finally.

Mr.City said:
Luckily for me the copy I received from Gamefly had all the episodes unlocked so I could just skip over that one.
It really didn't help that it was so obvious what the fuck happened at the stupid circus about half-way into the fucking case.

itsinmyveins

Yeah, the worst thing about these games are the stiffness they've got, they're so linear. Sometimes you're pretty sure what evidence you can use way before you're "allowed" to use it. A bit of a bummer but oh well.

DiddyBop

ppl seem to hate the circus one so much,i though tit was pretty ok. the onyl thing that suck was that damn clown and his laugh.that was really annoying

DiddyBop said:
ppl seem to hate the circus one so much,i though tit was pretty ok. the onyl thing that suck was that damn clown and his laugh.that was really annoying
The annoying tranny magician, the stupid ringmaster's duaghter, the fucking dumb clown, and the predictable outcome was what made it sooooo bad.

Franziska von Karma was ace as usual though.

Docpan

Case 3 of JFA is actually quite underrated, though that circus theme that plays constantly is horrible. Actually, most of the music in JFA is horrible.

Case 3 of T&T, however, was unbearable. This is supposedly the best game in the series, but I had to seriously force myself to finish this case. It was terrible. I haven't finished the game yet (on case 4), but I've gotta say, this game on the whole is overrated so far. Either that, or I'm just plain sick of the formula. Even hardcore fans have got to admit that Capcom needs to mix things up if they want this series to continue.

I spent a whole day just playing case 4. I recharged my DS twice and stopped only for essential activities. It was sooo much fun, there just wasn't anywhere that I wanted to stop.

Docpan

Case 4 of JFA was definitely the best case that I've played so far. It was so intense, and even better, it shook up the standard formula. If they turned any of the cases into an anime, that would be the one to choose.

CoolTrick

Banned
Case 4 of JfA question, I beat it a few months ago.

Since
Adrian Andrews
appears again in PW3, it got me reminiscing, why was
she hiding so much that she was such a suspect for so long? I can't remember.

zoku88

CoolTrick said:
Case 4 of JfA question, I beat it a few months ago.

Since
Adrian Andrews
appears again in PW3, it got me reminiscing, why was
she hiding so much that she was such a suspect for so long? I can't remember.
von Karma told her to and Adrian has that problem of depending on strong ppl too much so she believed her.

pulga

Banned
Hah, I'm actually playing through PW3 as we speak. I'm on case 3, finding contradictions with Ms...Mr....Ms...whatever Armstrong's testimony.

Oh God, "What a naughty little coquette I am, confusing all z'e men like z'is!" :lol :lol :lol

itsinmyveins

Yeah, it was a bit of a "OH MY GOD!?!" moment there in the late part of the second chapter :lol

zer0das

Banned
Justice for All was pretty refreshing after JFA... I thought the circus case was pretty good (but it made me sad :/), but I hated the last case. Phoenix is a bit of a blockhead in picking things up... by the time he figures it out, you've probably known about it for a long time.

I think I'm pretty much Phoenix Wrighted out regardless. :\

itsinmyveins

Also; I was kinda laughing my ass off at all the whipping and stuff in Ch. 2, they've really done a great job -- just in the title before this one -- with the characters. It's amazing how entertaining and diverse their characteristics are, even if most are somewhat flamboyant. And god, the dialouges are awesome.

Brashnir

Docpan said:
Case 4 of JFA was definitely the best case that I've played so far. It was so intense, and even better, it shook up the standard formula. If they turned any of the cases into an anime, that would be the one to choose.

I swear I must be the only one who didn't like that case. I replayed the first two games prior to playing PW3, and when I got to that one, I couldn't finish it. I just didn't like it at all.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Also; I was kinda laughing my ass off at all the whipping and stuff in Ch. 2, they've really done a great job -- just in the title before this one -- with the characters. It's amazing how entertaining and diverse their characteristics are, even if most are somewhat flamboyant. And god, the dialouges are awesome.

Ugh, I kinda hated that. Not only was that character annoying as hell (whipping the judge, really?), the entire case was a mess.
Okay, so we're going to accept the fact that these mediums exist, and that Maya's physical appearance changes when she performs a channeling? Why can't I use that in my case?!

I haven't finished the case yet because I'm stuck at Pearls' psyche-lock, but this is no Ace Attorney so far.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Franziska: I look forward to tonight's news with great joy Mr Phoenix Wright. The image of your face being projected all over the world.
Mia: All over the world? Looks like you've made a name for yourself.
Franziska: Don't be foolish you foolish fool wearing the foolishly foolish clothes.

Franziska von Karma was so fucking awesome. :lol

itsinmyveins

Blame space:

Nah, it's funny. It was annoying most of the time, though, but that's why it's so funny at the end.

I know there's a whole bunch of annoying stuff in there. You can catch someone lying through their teeth like a hundred times but it only takes one argument from the prosecutor to make everybody forget that. And there's really no room for improvisation with the evidence and arguments. So yeah, accept what frames you're given and use them. The game's design liked that.

I just finished this game and a friend of mine drops by somewhere this weekend at my house with the first one..

It's actually one of the most fun games I've played last year!

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
JFA was boring as fuck. Too much investigation, a bunch of uninteresting characters/cases and predictable twists, and overall, absolutely shitty court battle design with stupid and convoluted process of though that doesn't flow at all, forcing you to throw all your evidence mindlessly until somethings clicks, thus making the game a non-interactive graphics novel with tons of visits to the title screen.
AA and specially TT are so much better games it's not even funny. They dropped the ball HARD with this one.

Redd

This game gets so much hate but I don't care. Case 2 and 4 were some of my favorite cases in the Phoenix Wright series. Without case 2 how could the Trials and Tribulations be so epic. My only real complaint was that Justice for All only had 4 cases.:D

GhaleonQ

Case 3 is actually my favorite in the series, and the game was my favorite of the 3 (despite the terrible editing).

circuses
best all-around cast
Pearl's "real" introduction as her own character
Maya coming into her own as a character
great text and dialogue
some of the most well-done text-graphic correlations
really nice story themes
poignant, for an Ace Attorney game
Oh, and Franziska was great, apart from her "fool" tirades.

To be honest, this is the least of the Phoenix Wright's in my eyes. Franziska was a nice addition, though. And the twist in the fourth case about how you're supposed to go forward was a great idea. I just thought the execution wasn't there.

Ace Attorney made me love the series, Justice For All made me think the series was stale, Trials and Tribulations made me like the series again but see it for the flawed gameplay it had.

Top Bottom