• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lie: PS3 to receive a $299 price-cut on January 28th?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
OLD?

Several posters at SlickDeals.net are reporting that the PS3 may have yet another price drop towards the end of the month. Many are rumoring that a $299 PS3 will be announced on January 28. SlickDeals.net is a website dedicated to providing consumers with the latest prices in electronics, breaking the news of both of the previous PS3 price drops and the 360 price drop a few weeks early, along with the CheapAssGamer forums.

Though it does seem early for this to occur, Sony did recently announce that the price of manufacturing of the PS3 did drop from $800 per unit at the launch to $400 currently. This is mainly due to the success of Blu Ray, especially with Warner Bros. going Blu Ray exclusive earlier this month. Now there are also rumors that Paramount found a loophole in their HD DVD exclusivity contract and will be going Blu Ray as well - leaving Universal and Dreamworks as the only remaining HD DVD studios.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=24454

Lock if bogus.

McLovin

Well they did reduce the systems production costs... but I think they would like to make money off the system first no?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Makes no sense. They would have done it last month if they could.

AlternativeUlster said:
Whoa doggie.

It still has to hit the magical $100 price point for me

well according to the thread title it's suppose to reach your magical price point! so you might wanna believe!

Stitch

Gold Member
kaz said they finally want to make profit with the ps3 so i don't think they will drop the prize to 299$...

Elios83

No doubt PS3 will be 299$ by the end of this year but... January? :lol :lol :lol
It doesn't make sense to cut the price before Metal Gear Solid 4 and Gran Theft Auto 4 hit the market. I think that in April we'll see some action with prices and bundles from both Sony and Microsoft, a 50$ spring price cut for both is likely IMO.

That would piss off everyone that bought one over the holidays and be terrible PR. I think they would delay the price cut until there's some strategic reason for it, like to encourage people to pick up a PS3 with GTA4 or MGS4. Right now there seems to be no point.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
leroy hacker said:
That would piss off everyone that bought one over the holidays and be terrible PR. I think they would delay the price cut until there's some strategic reason for it, like to encourage people to pick up a PS3 with GTA4 or MGS4. Right now there seems to be no point.
..Warner Bros. announcement?

PS3 ain't the cheapest Blu-Ray playa no mo'.

Chasing the story back to its origin, it looks like Sony will be running another promotion with their Sony Card, where if you sign up for one you can get a PS3 for $299

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=711313

It looks like as the thread progressed so people started saying "yeah, I've heard its dropping to $299. My Uncle's retarded cousin who works as a cleaner at Walmart definitely thinks this is happeneing".

Also, that thread is from over 2 weeks ago.

I'll probably buy it when it reaches $200. I like buying a console cheap, late in its life cycle, so I have a ton of good games to play, many of which are not $60 anymore. Plus, I still haven't played X360 games like Bioshock, so I want to get through those first.

That said, I probably won't be able to resist come summer, so I'll grab one. Gaming is an expensive hobby. Here's to hoping this is true/will be true by summer.

JudgeN

I can see this happening in March with the Sony relaunch of the PS3, 40 gig at $300 and a $400 80 gig w/ DS3 and no Motostorm BELIEVE GAF :D

If true, awesome. Then MS will lower the price of the 360 and maybe Ninty will drop their price on the Wii in response to Sony's move.

All of that means more people buying consoles and playing games. More people = more better.

With that said, I also heard there's an army of unicorns gathering in the Gobi desert. I believe that it's the threat of this army of unicorns attacking that is causing Sony to make this proactive decision and lower their price.

Unicorns are notoriously cheap bastards and are suckers for next gen gaming...

stay tuned...

goldenpp72 said:
would be nice if true, sony going for the record of fastest dropping system!

No, I'm pretty sure that distinction goes to the 32X (maybe only held back by the fact that it was an add-on/upgrade instead of stand-alone). Never have I seen a rock drop like that, and I bought it at the start of the price drops, before they even started packing in games. Ow.

As for the PS3 cut, too soon, and no point? Unless they're announcing it for a later date, which is a silly thing to do when it kills nearly all the sales you would have in the meantime. I'd have a laugh if that was true, though, since that's dead-on my birthday. "Here's your gift, it's a price cut! Now buy one already!"

Raw64life said:
As I bought a PS3 last week this would suck quite a bit.

Most retailers will price match up to a certain number of days after purchase. If the price drop is real you should contact the store you bought it from and see if they have such a policy.

Anyways, I hope this turns out to be true. I already purchased a 60 gig a week ago, but I'd really like to see Sony get serious this generation.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Raw64life said:
As I bought a PS3 last week this would suck quite a bit.

You can return it, then buy it for 100 less.

As for the news. Fake, but if true, then Sony is really turning up the heat. 299 and a MGS4 demo can push people still on the fence over the edge.

Top Bottom