• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lie: PS3 to receive a $299 price-cut on January 28th?

lupinko

Bogus and grossly inaccurate, if Paramount goes back to Blu, so does Dreamworks, seeing as how Paramount owns/controls it.

Rumour: TheGreatDave to hold off on buying a PS3 for months due to the frequency of price cuts?

Rumour: TheGreatDave also tempted to buy console if it recieves price cut, against his better judgement?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Scottlarock said:
how fast did the dreamcast drop?

It dropped so fast that they couldn't even put a price tag on it anymore.

Jirotrom

I hope this is true, then I can say screw all the haters when I kept stating the PS3 would hit 300.00, granted I thought it would hit 300.00 in August.

I do not see this happening.

Especially since it needs to be done if Sony wants to have a hope of staying competitive this generation.

bill0527

Not gonna happen.

Kaz has publically went on record in press releases and with Sony shareholders that they're going to turn a profit on PS3 hardware this year. They're not going to profit by dropping the price.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Scottlarock said:
how fast did the dreamcast drop?

The Xbox is still the record holder, I believe. Dropped so quickly they had to give free stuff to the suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hloyal customers who bought launch units.

GhaleonEB

iapetus said:
The Xbox is still the record holder, I believe. Dropped so quickly they had to give free stuff to the suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hloyal customers who bought launch units.
In Europe. In the US it lasted a whole six months without a $100 drop.

iapetus said:

That was just in the UK though wasn't it?
Serves them right for doing a straight $ -> £ conversion.

/bought my Xbox after the price cut

And if the PS3 DID get a price drop that severe, it would be awesome to see everyone panicking and scrambling. It sure would throw all the plans for 2008 right on it's ear.

iapetus said:
:lol
very true, for $299 I would buy it day one. I want Uncharted and my recently ebayed hddvd money makes this a possible!

MWS Natural said:
:lol

On a serious note these price drop rumors will do nothing but hurt PS3 sales.

how do you figure?

look at all the folks in here saying "I'll buy one @ $299 TOMORROW!~!~!!~!!!!"

edit: ahhhh I see now. My reading comprehension has failed me...
sadirish.gif

Dr_Cogent

Banned
$299 would be fucking awesome if true. I would be all over that shit. Really want rumble in my controllers though - and no - I'm not willing to import to get DS controllers.

TheJollyCorner said:
how do you figure?

look at all the folks in here saying "I'll buy one @ $299 TOMORROW!~!~!!~!!!!"

edit: ahhhh I see now. My reading comprehension has failed me... :(

A price cut would help PS3 sales. Rumors of a price cut in the near future, would hurt PS3 sales.

Edit: Oops. I see you caught that. Nevermind then.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Well, it isn't happening.

I expect a price drop to $300 when GTA4 comes out for the 40 gig. At the same time I also expect the 360 premium to go to $300 in response to it with the Arcade model going to $250.

Hcoregamer00

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hell, at this rate it would reach $200 as fast as PS2.

As soon as the PS3 hits the $300 mark sony will slow down price drop rates.

$600
$500
$400
$300
$250
$230
$200
$170
$150
$130

and so on.....

neojubei said:
As for the news. Fake, but if true, then Sony is really turning up the heat. 299 and a MGS4 demo can push people still on the fence over the edge.
You can't "turn up the heat' if you aren't at the controls. :p

It's more like "taking desperate measures" if this turns out true (and I hope it's true so MS has to lower prices too).

I very much doubt it. I think Sony will wait and see how the perceived ending of the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war effects/increases sales before dropping the price again.

Hcoregamer00

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I very much doubt it. I think Sony will wait and see how the perceived ending of the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war effects/increases sales before dropping the price again.

Not to mention that they want to start making money on the hardware.

If the damn thing finally got to $400 for manufacturing, the least they can do is try to be profitable at first before they make another jump.

Core407

Banned
Mammothtank said:
I would put the price drop at the beginning of Summer, not end of Jan.

Sony could be playing aggressive and taking a hit on the costs up until the .45nm introduction and soon after redesign ala PS2 Slim. By then, the lowered costs should reduce the hit they would be taking.

Hcoregamer00

Nolan. said:
Even if they did people would find something else to criticise.

Why not? When Sony lowers the PS3 price MS will be there to counter it.

Heck, since the 360 is starting to become very very profitable, MS would probably try to undercut the PS3 by $10-30 to lessen the blow.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Nolan. said:
Even if they did people would find something else to criticise.

"I'll get it when it's $199.985 and when Gears of War 2, 3 and 9 are out for the PS3!"

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
No way.

Sony already pulled out all the stops to get a $400 one out for Christmas (removal of all PS2 chips, 2 USB ports, and the multi-card reader, smaller HDD, etc.) due to retailer and publisher pressure.

I doubt they have enough in them for another price drop for at least 9 months.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Odysseus said:
when it gets to free, i'll boldly proclaim it not to be free enough.

When they add a game I will, even more boldly, proclaim I was screwed out of the choice of what free game I wanted.

Odysseus

Banned
Tideas said:
seems like a fud started by an MS employee? mmm, perhaps :lol

after last year's (near?) e3 proclamation of a $399 ps3 by Christmas, perhaps the microsoft guys would want to hold their tongues lest another prediction become true.

Hcoregamer00

Tideas said:

No, it is a sad little man proclaiming his hopes and dreams by misinterpreting the facts and twisting it up so that it could fit the pinhole of a needle.

/sarcasm

Yeah, it is just someone spreading crap.

Tideas said:

The last PS3 prediction I remember originating from an MS employee had something to do with a 40 GB PS3 completely lacking PS2 backward compatibility for $399. If this rumor was started by an MS employee it would add to its believability.

Top Bottom