• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lie: PS3 to receive a $299 price-cut on January 28th?

It's not true!!!

Do people investigate the stuff that maxconsole posts?

This is how the rumour started,

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=711313

Before I get blasted for a repost please read.

All of the Sony card deals I have read are only valid at the Sony Style Store. This one is good at ANY authorized retailer. This means bundle to your hearts content with shop.com\amazon or wherever.

www.sony.com/sonycard/ps3

$299 min purchase and receive $100 credit and 12 months no interest.

Purchase must be made within the first 45 days of account opening.

Again read the link before you blast me.

A 40gb PS3 for $299 with a Sony card right? Then some scamp went and said;

i dont have the details BUT people should try to sign up for this and then buy a PS3 when they drop to 299! on or around january 28!

dropping to $299? Where on earth did he get that information from. Nowhere it would seem. However the rumour continues when one poster says;

And what, someone in the entertainment business? Wow, he must be telling the truth then, because surely his....oh wait. (same poster here)

Correct me if I'm wrong...but CES came and went didn't it? These are the quotes that make up the post on CAG, which maxconsole then lifted as a news item.

Somewhere along the lines the $299 Sony Card offer, and this hopeful wish of a $100 price drop on the PS3 have gotten mixed up. And so, clearly needing something to post on their site, maxconsole grabbed the news spoon and scraped the bottom of the barrel. Ta Da!

Course if there is a price cut in one weeks time I'm going to look as stupid as an elephant trying to get through a cat flap.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Wouldn't surprise me. I think people smartened up and realized that $399 40gig won't play their PS2 games and are skipping it for the 80gig. Everywhere I've been lately has been completely sold out of the 80gig system and had a literal mountain of 40gigs sitting there. Fry's mountain was about 10 feet high, and they even had a sign saying they were sold out of the 80gig model (I'd assume people were asking for them a lot). Dropping the gimped version no one wants by $100 would help.

Dunlop

The fact that it would still fall under the 5 free BluRay deal would garaunty a purchase from me.

The Sony Store doesn't offer us the $100 rebate up in the Great White North.

Make it happen Sony

yes I know the story is bullshit

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
actually, maybe we should take this from a different angle..

if they REALLY want to attain the 11 million sold/shipped or whatever mark by March, that would be the perfect time to do it.

you have 2 full months of sales.

it being a "few months too early" would actually be false. Its the prime time to do it to meet their forecast.

they said they were going to do it, so maybe their hand will be actually forced to make it happen, no matter what the losses?

DiddyBop

they will and cannot drop the price so soon or they'll have a lot of angry customers ala the iphone. its jsut not a good business strategy to drop the price on your product every few months. soonest we'll see a price drop is around nov. prolly be around 50-70.

demifiend

vantastic said:
take out that 2 in the price and you have a deal!

How much would you spend on the Wii, or a good PC?
Probably BS anyway, diddy's prediction of a November price drop sounds more reasonable.

leroy hacker said:
That would piss off everyone that bought one over the holidays and be terrible PR. I think they would delay the price cut until there's some strategic reason for it, like to encourage people to pick up a PS3 with GTA4 or MGS4. Right now there seems to be no point.

Wasnt the GBA SP announced around January 15?

There is no way Sony cuts the price again before this summer. If they get a $300 PS3 into stores in time for MGS4/GTA4, I'll be impressed. I think this fall is more realistic.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
schuelma said:
Makes no sense. They would have done it last month if they could.

disagree. They wanted the holiday hype of ps3/bluray to help push sales at the current price.

That being said this would be huge, especially if there was a cut in Europe also, ps3 is catching up, this would speed up the prices quite a bit. This coupled with Resistance 2, LBP, MGS4, GT5, etc. 2008 really is the year of the ps3.

edit- you also have to remember ps3 is not just a game console to sony, it's also a blu-ray player and in order to maintain sales on players you must drop the price like your competitors. I think them pushing this price drop right around the time it appears blu-ray has won would be a smart choice by sony. It would keep blu-ray sales stable at around 85-15 with new potential buyers coming off all the hype about the war being over. It also will keep sales up until the influx of games.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
davepoobond said:
if they REALLY want to attain the 11 million sold/shipped or whatever mark by March, that would be the perfect time to do it.

you have 2 full months of sales.
?

yes sir.

11 mil baby. they said it would happen and here we have it..

fuck, did i pay 500 bucks for a PS3? damn.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
evlcookie said:
It's probably not true, but still, drop the fucking price in AUS u bastards!

they just gave 20 thousand of them away down there. i dont think its gonna happen anytime soon

chris0701

GenericPseudonym said:
I might buy it at $299. I'm just waiting for that and bundled DS3 on the 40 GB.

PS3 499/599USD
PS3 40G 399USD 2007/11
PS3 40G 299USD 2008/01

wow::lol

not to mention there were so much bundle promo abbout PS3.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
chris0701 said:
PS3 499/599USD
PS3 40G 399USD 2007/11
PS3 40G 299USD 2008/01

wow::lol

not to mention there were so much bundle promo abbout PS3.

once again the bluray aspect makes this different from your average console. Sales in Japan are not bad, europe they're going good at least from what we here, and yah America is slow. But people trying to say the ps3 is failing still are really reaching at this point. The big games like FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, and more have yet to even come out. I think the fact they want to push it as a blu-ray player gives this rumor a chance.

chris0701

399 is a ok price for player/game console.

BD would be winner,Sony do not need anymore megaton(s) to push it upon there.

Three month for 100 price drop ? It would be a legend on the whole game history.

Zoe said:
MLK day in the US.

Uh, he has a Cowboys Avy so I'm pretty sure he knew that. There is a chance that he's still hiding in a cave since Dallas's humiliating defeat to the Giants so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jtrizzy

they should do it shortly before the release of GTA IV. One would think that lot of people will be upgrading to the 360 or PS3 when that comes out.

gcubed

msdstc said:
disagree. They wanted the holiday hype of ps3/bluray to help push sales at the current price.

That being said this would be huge, especially if there was a cut in Europe also, ps3 is catching up, this would speed up the prices quite a bit. This coupled with Resistance 2, LBP, MGS4, GT5, etc. 2008 really is the year of the ps3.

edit- you also have to remember ps3 is not just a game console to sony, it's also a blu-ray player and in order to maintain sales on players you must drop the price like your competitors. I think them pushing this price drop right around the time it appears blu-ray has won would be a smart choice by sony. It would keep blu-ray sales stable at around 85-15 with new potential buyers coming off all the hype about the war being over. It also will keep sales up until the influx of games.

if they did this, i would see this as them trying to put the final nail in the coffin of HD-DVD as well as get a big bump in sales. It puts a future proof Bluray player at 299. Although the timing is just absolutely wrong i just simply dont see this as true, and agree that it is probably just a misinterpretation from CAG in regards to the $100 off w/ Sony Card deal. No doubt they will drop the price one more time this year, but i would see it with GTA or MGS or in September before KZ2 or R2

Evander

"industry expert"
ManaByte said:
Wouldn't surprise me. I think people smartened up and realized that $399 40gig won't play their PS2 games and are skipping it for the 80gig. Everywhere I've been lately has been completely sold out of the 80gig system and had a literal mountain of 40gigs sitting there. Fry's mountain was about 10 feet high, and they even had a sign saying they were sold out of the 80gig model (I'd assume people were asking for them a lot). Dropping the gimped version no one wants by $100 would help.

you also get people asking why, in the span of one year, the PS3 has had BOTH models replaced, and it's price essentially cut in half (everyone's initial impression was $600, if they advertise $300 extensively it WILL have that impact on people.)

If Sony really did this, they'd risk hurting public perception of the product. Who wants to trust that a product is any good if the company can't sell it?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
If anything the price for the PS3 will not come down till at least August/Septemer before that I say "Nay friends Nay"

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Doubledex said:
You're "Absolutely pathetic"

You're "Member."

That is the price I have set for the Ps3. Maybe $150 if it also had Ps2 support. I am waiting to get a 360 when it goes down to $200 before I get that. I eventually own all the systems like I always do. Didn't get a Saturn until I traded a Dreamcast Controller for one that also included 20 games. The Dreamcast was pretty new. Wait, why am I explaining myself? Oh, yeah, so I suppose I would trade 2 Dreamcast controllers for a Ps3 now but I would trade 2 Dreamcast controllers and a VMU for a Ps2.

Evander

"industry expert"
Son of Godzilla said:
Why? It would be killer for those willing to wait another year and the damn thing'll be free.

seriously.

If price drops are coming closer and closer together, then I'll just wait for the next one in a month and a half.

Top Bottom