• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleep paralysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the lucid dreaming thread reminded me about sleep paralysis. It's practically the antithesis of lucid dreaming. During LD you are aware that you're dreaming, and can thus control the dream (sometimes). It can be quite the rush, and an amazing experience! Sleep paralysis, on the other hand, can result in you being awake, but you have no control, and can be terrifying (worse than nightmares).

You can read the Wikipedia article for more information, but here's the gist of it. During REM sleep (the dreaming state) your body is essentially paralyzed. For whatever reason, it's possible for the brain to wake up during this state, but for the paralysis to continue. So you'll be awake, and fully conscious, but unable to move. While that's a pretty scary thing in and of itself, it's often accompanied by hallucinations. Usually not something particularly tangible, but maybe a dark object in the room that different people interpret as different things. You might also hear things.

In fact, it's been theorized that cases of people claiming alien abduction might have been sleep paralysis! Think about it. You wake up from sleep, in the dark. You can't move. You're scared out of your mind, you see shapes around you, indistinguishable sounds.

I've never had this happen to me personally, thank goodness. My sister has, though, a couple of times. She's told me about them, and it freaked the heck out of me.

One time she woke up and couldn't move. She saw something on the side of her bed, about a foot from her face. She said she couldn't really figure out what it was, but that she thought she saw eyes, and she thought it looked like some small animal or something. Then she said it moved onto her chest and said her name. After that she says that she "passed out" which I guess means she fell back asleep. When she woke up again later that night she said she could move, and she thought it had been some demonic presence. She was about 14 at the time, and didn't read about sleep paralysis until years later, when she realized that's what it was.

Another time she woke up, couldn't move. Said she thought she heard our parents coming down the stairs talking. After a few seconds she realized she couldn't understand what they were saying, and that it wasn't them. And then the voices came into her freaking room. That's all that she remembers from that episode.

I think that's the only two that have happened to her, but they frightened her so badly that she's literally slept with the light on ever since.

Man, I hope I never have these. I'm guessing it'd be worse than most any nightmare (maybe not night terrors?) since you're awake, and you know it. These things feel real, you can't move, and you can't have the relief of waking up and realizing it was just a dream! *shudder*

I don't know how common of a thing this is. Have any gaffers ever had an experience with this? I'd love to hear stories about it (although I probably won't go to sleep tonight).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just don't sleep on your back.

EDIT: The last thread on the subject was scary. But yeah, it's just a brain/oxygen/or some such issue related to sleeping on your back, causing hallucinations.

Flo_Evans

I've heard of this but I can't really seem to find any hard science backing it up. How are we sure the person is not really still dreaming that they are awake paralyzed in bed?

Never happened to me, but I wouldn't mind experiencing it. I'd imagine not knowing wtf it is would scare the shit out of you though.

I do sometimes dream then thinking I'm falling and bounce off my bed, thats always weird. Hasn't happened in ages actually.

HOLY SHIT THIS HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME. I try to explain it to people but no one understands. Thanks.

Oh wait, I'm pretty sure I'm still sleeping though. I can never tell.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
for the most part, aliens aren't trying to kidnap you.
Second, you need to sleep more often cuz I used to have constant bout of sleep paralysis til I slept more than 5 hours a day.

We have had this topic on GAF several times.

I have learned my lesson, and will avoid reading most of this post...since this stuff freaks me out.

IN before demons and shadows are talked about...

And in before the guy who had a cat, that was looking at the same demon/shadow that this guy saw during his sleep paralysis.

And IN before Dogs barking.

Flo_Evans said:
I've heard of this but I can't really seem to find any hard science backing it up. How are we sure the person is not really still dreaming that they are awake paralyzed in bed?

Eh, even if you are just dreaming about waking up paralyzed doesn't change how scary it would be.

And anyway, I've talked to a few people about this, and it doesn't sound like they were just dreaming about waking up paralyzed. I don't have "hard science" but it definitely sounds legit to me.

This happens to me once every 2 months or so

Basically for about 10 seconds you try you're hardest to breath / move because you can't but then you do and then fall right back asleep with a sense of accomplishmen knowing you beat the stupid chemical imbalance

BobFromPikeCreek said:
If this is what I've had, and I'm pretty sure it is, it's really not that bad.

Well, I think it depends on how much you realize what's happening at the time and the level of hallucination that goes into it. If your not worried about not being able to move, it's not going to be nearly as bad. If you aren't seeing dark shapes moving around your room and whispering it's not going to be as bad.

SenseiJinx said:
Well, I think it depends on how much you realize what's happening at the time and the level of hallucination that goes into it. If your not worried about not being able to move, it's not going to be nearly as bad. If you aren't seeing dark shapes moving around your room and whispering it's not going to be as bad.
I've never really seen dark figures. Just a presence somewhere in my room, and I want to yell to them to try and get them to help me get up, but I can't. It doesn't last too long and has been happening to me a couple times a year since I was like 5. I guess you get used to it when it happens regularly.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I've never really seen dark figures. Just a presence somewhere in my room, and I want to yell to them to try and get them to help me get up, but I can't. It doesn't last too long and has been happening to me a couple times a year since I was like 5. I guess you get used to it when it happens regularly.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like it. I bet when it happens often it's not as bad.

Although I'm a big baby and just that would freak me out for days. 0.0 At least the first time.

santouras

I've had this happen to me a few times and it is really freaky, as every brain impulse is telling you that you need to move but not a single muscle will obey your commands. Mine have always been when I've had some really freaky nightmares and it's not a pleasant experience.

I also agree wholeheartedly that this is what alien abductee's actually experience. The relationships are just too uncanny. Of course if you're not convinced you can still build yourself a thought screen helment

Flo_Evans

Well sometimes my alarm will go off and I just can't get out of bed to turn it off. But I usually bury my head in pillows to muffle it and go right back to sleep so I don't think I have this. I think I have what they call laziness or sloth. Funny thing though I have the exact opposite of lucid dreams and always think my dreams are real. Lucky for me they involve bad ass cop chases straight out of die-hard. :lol

Sometimes I wake up all panicked and have to calm myself down and remind myself I haven't done anything.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I remember 3 Different times in my whole life, something similar has happend to me. Very scary.

I wake up, cant move, but what was worst was that i COULD'NT Breathe. I just "will" myself back to normal breting basically. Very scary.

Anyways, i try not to sleep on my back, on advise of some people, has'nt happen to me in a long time

newsguy

I'm wating for a youtube video where someone at a party gets this and there's teabags galour. Totally awake and conscious while buddies put their balls on the dude's mouth. Now that's a terrifying experience.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
WE HAVE THIS SAME FUCKING THREAD EVERY 3 MONTHS
Maybe we should just sticky this.

Oh. And I've experienced dozens of episodes of Sleep Paralysis, especially during my insomnia-riddled college days. Don't get them much anymore, but man were they freaky. I always had the feeling that my bed was shaking violently, with an evil presence in the corner of my room. Even saw a dark figure once. Of course, I couldn't move anything except my eyes.

I remember, during one episode, I looked over at the TV in my room and it was on.. with something strange playing. But when I was finally able to shake myself free from the paralysis and gain full consciousness, the TV was off.

GAF helped me discover what sleep paralysis was and helped me realize that I wasn't going crazy. Now, whenever it happens, I kinda just enjoy the ride.

Not really sleep paralysis, but kinda related. A few nights ago I had a dream where I was sitting upright, and I started sloooowly falling backward (like slow motion slow) while everything got dark and there was some kind of creepy noise in the background that slowed down as I fell back further and further. It felt so real. Then I woke up startled in a cold sweat. Some fucked up things happen in my sleep.

genjiZERO

I get sleep paralysis when I take naps in the afternoon. I'll keep having dreams about dreams about dreams about waking up, but not being awake and not being able to move. It's horrible.

According to Japanese folklore - sleep paralysis is a ghost holding you down.

cbox

happened to me while sleeping on the sofa, I woke up facing the ceiling and all I saw was this fucked up face standing over me coming closer. My parents were about 4 ft away from me on the next sofa, and I remember trying to scream for my life. I woke up all sweaty and freaked with my parents telling me I was just laying there sleeping.

Freaky stuff :(

Fusebox

Banned
Had it plenty of times when I was younger, not so much these days. It's trippy as hell, the only scary part is when you try to wake yourself up and move and you realise you cant.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
my dad gets this and night terrors. sucks for him.

i have uncontrolled lucid dreams pretty often.. normally something out of context in the story happens and my brain flips a switch.. then im along for the ride.

i sleepwalk too, and sometimes get a very real falling sensation and wake up trying to catch myself.

KRS7

It happened to me only once and was very weird and scary.

I went to sleep in the afternoon. When I awoke, in the late afternoon, I had no idea what time it was, and assumed it was night. So the light coming in through the window freaked me out, it didn't look at all like sunlight at all. It seemed blueish to me. I couldn't move for several seconds, and thought I might be dying or something. Then I snapped out of it, realized what time it was, and calmed down. Thankfully, I knew about sleep paralysis, so I chalked it up to that. I never experienced it again.

ManiacMX

Neo Member
This happened to me once. Most terrifying experienced I have ever had. There was a alien (grey) on top of me looking directly into my eyes. I didn't get a good night's rest until about six months later.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Myself, my dad, and my brother suffer from SP. And to whoever thinks it's from sleeping on your back, you're wrong. Nothing is worse than a ten minute sp episode, when your face is pressing into a pillow. I've had SP episodes at least three days a week, for the last 15 years.

The worst thing is when you snap out of it, but can't get up fast enough, and end up falling back into it. Now imagine that happening six or seven times in a row. Sometimes I wish I just wouldn't wake up. :(

Andokuky

Banned
This used to happen to me all the time. It doesn't happen anymore. I think I have sleep apnea, a few times a week I wake up gasping for air as if I'd been holding my breath for 5 minutes.

I used to have this ALL THE TIME. I haven't experienced it for a while now

*knock on wood*

My cases were so bad, that I would halucinate. I would see a dark shadow pressing his hand on my chest so that I wouldn't breathe. I would see that same shadow stab me, and I would feel the pain as if it were real.

This is how it would start: I would be dreaming (aware of the dream, too), and all of a sudden there would be a flash, and I would return to my bed experiencing the sleep paralysis/halucinations, and then I would wake up. Very terrifying.

Ether_Snake said:
Just don't sleep on your back.

EDIT: The last thread on the subject was scary. But yeah, it's just a brain/oxygen/or some such issue related to sleeping on your back, causing hallucinations.
Completely false.

I actually taught myself to sleep on my back, because whenever this happened, I would feel like I was suffocating from my head being pressed against the pillow(although it still does feel like I'm suffocating even if I'm sleeping on my back or even upright in a chair). It's usually accompanied by nightmares and the fact that you are paralyzed makes you feel completely vulnerable. That used to bother me, but after a few experiences the only thing that still aggravates me is the lack of air.

Pneuzy

I was watching a program about alien abduction and they said this, and they said sleep paralysis will more then likely happen once in everyones lifetime.

The scientific theory is just that a theory,

Demons, anyone whos went through this knows the real, it demons, demons in your room. A feel of extreme evil the coldest evil you ever felt. Dirty black bear creatures and women with black eyed children syndrome.

science will understand more in 30-40 years

Aika'svyse said:
The scientific theory is just that a theory,

Demons, anyone whos went through this knows the real, it demons, demons in your room. A feel of extreme evil the coldest evil you ever felt. Dirty black bear creatures and women with black eyed children syndrome.

science will understand more in 30-40 years
:lol It's not demons.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Happened to me once and I freaked out so bad I ended up pulling something in my leg and was limping around for the next few days. :lol

Stuneseht

happened to me a couple of times, the most scary one occurred a few years ago.
I had my face down on a pillow and couldn't move. I thought that i was going to suffocated to death.
Come to think of it, it was quite funny:lol in a crazy kind of way.......>.>.
I was aware of what was happening but couldn't do anything about it. It took alot of strength just to break out of the paralysis and wake my self up. I guess my body figured it was getting enough air and woke itself up.:lol

KGKK

Banned
Stuneseht said:
happened to me a couple of times, the most scary one occurred a few years ago.
I had my face down on a pillow and couldn't move. I thought that i was going to suffocated to death.
Come to think of it, it was quite funny:lol in a crazy kind of way.......>.>.
I was aware of what was happening but couldn't do anything about it. It took alot of strength just to break out of the paralysis and wake my self up. I guess my body figured it was getting enough air and woke itself up.:lol

If you prayed to the lord, he would have saved saved you faster. That was Satan's demon henchman inducing sexual curiosity within your mind and you woke up in the middle of his scheme.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
I've had this happen to me before, and when it does it feels like a battle of wills with myself...

After happening a couple times, I learned to just push myself out of the sleep state and I force myself to stay up for a couple minutes. The couple of times before I figured this out were mindblowing.

Happened to me once recently and it was fairly scary at first. I was on my stomach/side when it happened and could barely breathe because my head was against my sheets. After a short time (30 - 40 seconds, I think), I jolted out of it.

edit: no hallucinations or anything like that, though...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
BobFromPikeCreek said:
:lol It's not demons.
The part that I find intriguing is that the hallucinations often tend to be described similar though - eg. creatures with big black eyes (ala those aliens or whatever people want to call them on a given day).
Seems like sleep paralysis often brings up a form of primal fear common to humans as species. The part I wonder is exactly where it originates from. Do those hallucination monsters resemble any species of predators in our past?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I used to get sleep paralysis almost nightly when I was 16 and it presisted less frequently until I was 21. There's two types that i've experienced when falling alseep and when waking up, both are terrible. When I was about to fall alseep I could feel how tired my muscles were like I had no energy in my body with no function. Upon waking I would have trouble breathing with the feeling of a weight holding me down, usually a cat laying on my legs to make things worse. The absolute worst part is not being able to close your eyes, though sometimes I could, so you don't have a choice but to experience it which can make you panic. I haven't had any in over a year and i'm glad it's gone *crosses fingers*

Armitage

BobFromPikeCreek said:
If this is what I've had, and I'm pretty sure it is, it's really not that bad.

It can be really really bad. I had a particularly bad night last year and it was the most scared I've ever been in my whole life. Haven't had it since then though.

Aika'svyse said:

Are you posting from the middle ages? You're either trolling or extremely ignorant.

Fafalada said:
The part that I find intriguing is that the hallucinations often tend to be described similar though - eg. creatures with big black eyes (ala those aliens or whatever people want to call them on a given day).
Seems like sleep paralysis often brings up a form of primal fear common to humans as species. The part I wonder is exactly where it originates from. Do those hallucination monsters resemble any species of predators in our past?

In the middle ages people saw demons because that's what they were scared of. In the 20th century people saw aliens for the same reason.

If sleep paralysis has done anything for me it's made me a lot more sympathetic to people who think they've been abducted or being haunted or whatever. I used to think they were all crazy or lying but after having some bad bouts I realized that their experiences were very real and very powerful.

Stuneseht

KGKK said:
If you prayed to the lord, he would have saved saved you faster. That was Satan's demon henchman inducing sexual curiosity within your mind and you woke up in the middle of his scheme.
:lol :lol :lol
No demons or any type of hallucinations occurred while i was in that state. It just felt like my mind/brain was awake, but my body was still sleeping.

Come to think of it, It must be a very horrible experience to patients who haven't fully went under the influence of anesthesia and feel everything during their surgery.

I used to get both lucid dreams and sleep paralysis often (well, not often, but often enough for it to suck major balls). Lucid dreams were actually a bit more rare (and awesome) but sleep paralysis came often and was downright awful.

Sleeping on my back wasn't the cause, as I sleep on my side. The worst part is that sleep paralysis almost always came if I had happen to be face down or deep enough into my pillow that my breathing was cut off. Of course, this position may have simply triggered the half awake, half asleep mode, though the effect was terrible.

Imagine being slowly suffocated without being able to move a muscle or mutter a word. It was like I was trapped, my body being my coffin and my vocal chords stolen from my throat. I've had it with a girlfriend sleeping literally two inches from me and there's nothing I could do to tell them. You strain and push to move, almost to the point of being in tears pleading for help. Almost always I manage to pull myself out of it right before I feel like I'm going to pass out. I really hope dying isn't like that, cause that would reaaaally suck (aside from the whole dying part).

However, I haven't had either in quite a long time. I used to have it when I was still in school with an irregular sleeping pattern. My advice would be to simply try to regulate your sleeping pattern and get enough sleep. That's seemed to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom