• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: The Re-print

inner-G

Banned
Ok if anyone wants to get sexually assaulted just ask this web forums owner. He’s prob happy to oblige.

Do the right thing Ev1l0re:
7b52a023-0fcf-4119-8oyupg.jpeg

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Question, is the game worth it for people whose first experience was Persona 3 in the Shin Megami Tensei universe?

epmode

Hcoregamer00 said:
Question, is the game worth it for people whose first experience was Persona 3 in the Shin Megami Tensei universe?
I'd say so. It's easily on-par, if not better. And I love P3.

Yaweee

This is my favorite game. Deep and challenging gameplay, fantastic visuals and art design, haunting soundtrack, and a storyline that, five years later, is still unlike anything in the videogame industry or all of storytelling. The writing is wonderful, as is the direction in the scenes; the developers understood the values of blocking, cinematography, and brevity, things completely ignored by 95% of developers.

Normal is a nice challenge for people weened on Final Fantasy's, Tales, and Dragon Quests, while Hard Mode will give even lifelong RPG veterans something to think about.

And the multiple endings that represent distinct perspectives on the world? Fucking awesome.

Oh, and I think of this every time. Is there something wrong with me?

smt3-hikawa2.jpg

gob5ws9uk.jpg

epmode

inner-G said:
Now if only DoubleJump would do a re-print of the guide... I can justify $20, but not $50 for a used guide D:
The guide is SO GOOD. I'm glad I kept it.

Man, it'd be neat to have a DoubleJump FES guide.

Hcoregamer00

cpro said:
This is my favorite game. Deep and challenging gameplay, fantastic visuals and art design, haunting soundtrack, and a storyline that, five years later, is still unlike anything in the videogame industry or all of storytelling. The writing is wonderful, as is the direction in the scenes; the developers understood the values of blocking, cinematography, and brevity, things completely ignored by 95% of developers.

Normal is a nice challenge for people weened on Final Fantasy's, Tales, and Dragon Quests, while Hard Mode will give even lifelong RPG veterans something to think about.

And the multiple endings that represent distinct perspectives on the world? Fucking awesome.

I said wow.

Hcoregamer00

NolbertoS said:
No soundtrack, no buy. Still think it's expensive, as most likely it'll reach a NA retailer soon *cough*Amazon*cough*

I hope so, I can order this and FES from Amazon and just have them ship it together :D

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Seriously, I don't think the games are comparable. I mean, there is very little that is shared between them (besides some monster designs, I guess.)

But I would recommend Nocturne to anybody, anyway., so...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, these copies plus the sealed $70 versions on ebay and elsewhere almost confirm a reprint.

Most of the users at CAG, like myself, are waiting for it to show up on Amazon for probably $29.99.

Thank goodness for reprints.

Fuuuck, my original copy is worthless now! I'M RUINED NOOOOOOO

Oh well, I still have my sealed copy of DDS1 to fall back on.

inner-G

Banned
Euphor!a said:
Anyone know if this is still black label? Or will it be a Greatest Hits type thing?
I'd imagine black label. I doubt it got near a million. (isn't that the mark for GH or PS2 'The Best'?)

epmode said:
Man, it'd be neat to have a DoubleJump FES guide.
word. The P3 guide was really nice. (though I still printed out a Fusion Guide)

I'd definitely get the FES one as well.

Teknoman

Buy this game. If you like Persona 3, you should like all turn based SMT games. Or at least the PS1-current era games.

TheExodu5 said:
Buy the soundtrack separately if you can. This is a soundtrack worth owning.

If you want it, bug Atlus support about it. They are pretty cool people and will either give you a cheap deal on it, or give it to you for free...depending on the situation. Im sure they've got alot of those Nocturne OST's laying around.

ACiD

Call me when they reprint Digital Devil Saga (I have the Jp versions, but wouldn't mind the NA versions too). Good for those that missed Nocturne though. GameQuestDirect is the one that usually funds these Atlus reprints. GameQuestDirect have made their fortune off funding reprints of popular "ebay" games such as Disgaea, etc.

TheExodu5

Banned
I was gonna buy just to keep it in my collection, but then I felt bad about prospect buying as I already own a copy.

Everyone buy this! Seriously.

Yaweee

The game isn't for everyone, though. There are two sets of instant death elements, and if your main character dies, Game Over. The story doesn't make any sense for the first half of the game. There aren't really any towns where you're free to walk around. No voice acting bothers a lot of people. There are four or five parts in the game where the next step isn't very clear. It is too frequently discouraging, but rote leveling is never necessary, except maybe on Hard mode, and only occasionally. Daisojou is too good.

The soundtrack that comes with the game isn't anything special. It is only the tracks added for the Maniacs addition, with a few select pieces from the original.

Labyrinth of Amala and the Fiends = greatest sidequest ever.

inner-G

Banned
EphemeralDream said:
So it's out now? I'm a little confused by the OP.
I don't know for sure.

It's cheap now @ play-asia. It may show up cheap on Amazon ($29.99) a la Disgaea, according to the CaG crowd.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The best SMT game, the best Atlus game

You owe it to yourself to buy this gem

Plus, Dante!

inner-G

Banned
cpro said:
The game isn't for everyone, though. There are two sets of instant death elements, and if your main character dies, Game Over. The story doesn't make any sense for the first half of the game. There aren't really any towns where you're free to walk around. No voice acting bothers a lot of people. There are four or five parts in the game where the next step isn't very clear. It is too frequently discouraging, but rote leveling is never necessary, except maybe on Hard mode, and only occasionally.
Bah I grew up on cartridge JRPGs, no VA doesn't faze me!

It is tough though, I wouldn't look down on anyone for using guides/FAQs/whatever on it.

As for the insta-death stuff, a lot of their games are like that. P3 had it, and SMT fans said it was too easy :/

HK-47 said:
Plus, Dante!
smegami3.jpg
:D

TheExodu5

Banned
inner-G said:
I don't know for sure.

It's cheap now @ play-asia. It may show up cheap on Amazon ($29.99) a la Disgaea, according to the CaG crowd.

Quite honestly, if you're interested, $20 isn't worth risking it.

cpro said:
The soundtrack that comes with the game isn't anything special. It is only the tracks added for the Maniacs addition, with a few select pieces from the original.

Wow those are only the added tracks? I gotta get a hold of the original OST. I've been listening to the soundtrack that came with the game for the past 3 weeks. :lol

WHAAAAAAT???

I know a few people that bought this for $70+ in the last two months. :lol

However, this game is definitely worth those prices.

At $50, and SEALED, you guys are getting a steal. absolute steal. I might buy another copy or two just for the heck of it.

Atlus <3

...the only reason I'm still gaming.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SMT 2 is the best SMT game. I find the story a bit lacking in Nocturne.

Can't argue with Dante though.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
It's an awesome game, it's not that hard if you don't go crazy trying to do the extras; like collecting the candlabrum and the amala labyrinth. It's also quite short unless you count grinding (which is actually fun because you can fuse and evolve monsters). I haven't played Persona 3, or any of the persona for that matter, but Nocturne is amazing. I'm glad I picked it up on a whim when it first came out.

Hitoshura

Banned
inner-G said:
Bah I grew up on cartridge JRPGs, no VA doesn't faze me!

It is tough though, I wouldn't look down on anyone for using guides/FAQs/whatever on it.

As for the insta-death stuff, a lot of their games are like that. P3 had it, and SMT fans said it was too easy :/

smegami3.jpg
:D

That battle was a pain in ass...

Picked this one up just a while ago.
Was for sale, $30 for an unopened copy. That's pretty cheap in yuroland. :p
Still haven't found the time to play it though... :(

Top Bottom