• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: The Re-print

MoxManiac

inner-G said:
Bah I grew up on cartridge JRPGs, no VA doesn't faze me!

It is tough though, I wouldn't look down on anyone for using guides/FAQs/whatever on it.

As for the insta-death stuff, a lot of their games are like that. P3 had it, and SMT fans said it was too easy :/

smegami3.jpg
:D

I like how the red cursors circle their crotches.

Delio

Gah right when i have NO money. I hope this holds out for a couple weeks until the first then i will have funds again to buy it. No soundtrack doesnt bother me as i can get the cd cheap from a friend. Thank you atlus though ^_^.

Oh and Mudo and hama skills dont bother me anymore. Going though persona 3 i have gotten used to having a persona that nulls one or both of them.

Joule

Crap, I want this but I just bought Arcana Heart and Baroque last week. Not to mention FES comes out in a week and half.

NolbertoS

cpro said:
It's impossible to say. Atlus closed their shop a few days ago, and their forums have no word of this.

I find it odd, that just as they close there shop and made the deal with Amazon, they reprint Nocturne out of the blue all of a sudden. Makes a strong case that Amazon could be willing to pay Atlus as much as they want, to reprint there games and not worry about losing money as Amazon will take the risk.

inner-G

Banned
NolbertoS said:
I find it odd, that just as they close there shop and made the deal with Amazon, they reprint Nocturne out of the blue all of a sudden. Makes a strong case that Amazon could be willing to pay Atlus as much as they want, to reprint there games and not worry about losing money as Amazon will take the risk.
Kind of like how Disgaea showed up cheap again on Amazon not too long ago...

purg3

slept with Malkin
inner-G said:
Now if only DoubleJump would do a re-print of the guide... I can justify $20, but not $50 for a used guide D:

Wait a sec, the guide goes for $50?! I have one just sitting in a box in my basement lol.

NolbertoS

inner-G said:
Kind of like how Disgaea showed up cheap again on Amazon not too long ago...

Yeah..I mentioned that on CAG that Disgaea was backordered forever, until recently. I'm going on a limb and confirming that "Atlus has sold there game selling right to Amazon" for an "undisclosed fee". The pieces are starting to add up. Atlus was known to do limited releases on games, cuz of there financial situation, but now that they have Amazon, the sky is the limit.

inner-G

Banned
purg3 said:
Wait a sec, the guide goes for $50?! I have one just sitting in a box in my basement lol.
ebay that shit. unless you're a collector, or love the game. If its dying in a box, get some $ for it.

Anyone on the fence or considering this or another RPG or just wavering at all, BUY THIS GAME NOW. You will not find it again. It is a seminal RPG experience for the PS2. You will be comparing any RPG you play from here on out to this game. It's that much of a complete package.

I'm probably about halfway through and it might be my favorite RPG of all time. Either this one or FF6, even though the games are very different.

Yaweee

NolbertoS said:
Yeah..I mentioned that on CAG that Disgaea was backordered forever, until recently. I'm going on a limb and confirming that "Atlus has sold there game selling right to Amazon" for an "undisclosed fee". The pieces are starting to add up. Atlus was known to do limited releases on games, cuz of there financial situation, but now that they have Amazon, the sky is the limit.

Atlus has been rather successful over the last few years. Their rate of release has, as far as I can tell, never been higher, and Persona 3 was the most successful SMT game on both sides of the Atlantic.

I can't think of any RPG that focuses this much on gameplay but still has a good story that pushes you constantly towards new areas and sights.

tokkun

I loved Persona 3, so I got a copy of DDS. I ended up not enjoying it because I felt like I spent 95% of the game in random battles and there was very little story component. Given that, am I likely to enjoy Nocturne?

TheExodu5

Banned
tokkun said:
I loved Persona 3, so I got a copy of DDS. I ended up not enjoying it because I felt like I spent 95% of the game in random battles and there was very little story component. Given that, am I likely to enjoy Nocturne?

Probably not. I'm about 15 hours in...the game is 50% gameplay, 5% story, and 45% awesome.

There this thread made me realize I really should continue this game before playing my other games (just bought Assassin's Creed PC). Just got my second Candelabrum (in Ikebukuro).

Hitoshura

Banned
tokkun said:

lol If you think DDS was light on story then this might not be your cup of tea. At the same time, this game has one of the most interesting, mind/religion/social/end of the world bending plots I have ever played. It is without a doubt my favorite RPG and that includes it's story. It may not be story "heavy" but it blows away 75% of the other shit out there.

Yaweee

tokkun said:

There's even less story component, but a ton more gameplay customization and freedom. However, if you need a story that drags you from point to point, Nocturne probably isn't a good match.

EDIT: Another complaint: The Obelisk is so incredibly unfair.

Teknoman

Seriously? I think the story element on Nocturne and DDS 1+2 are great. Even Nocturne with its "choose your own path" style story. I mean its like you're forced to make exactly the decsions you would in real life...if asked those types of questions.

Jazzy Network said:
Aha I played this for 5 minutes and got bored of it. Sold it for 80 bucks. Awesome!

Then you didnt even get into one fight. The opening takes about that long.

Nocturne having a minimalist story is not a bad thing.I'll take that over another generic RPG story about Racism or saving the world...hell the world
is destroyed
at the beginning of Nocturne...talk about starting things off with a bang.

Oh and multiple Endings say Hi.

tokkun

cpro said:
There's even less story component, but a ton more gameplay customization and freedom. However, if you need a story that drags you from point to point, Nocturne probably isn't a good match.

Well, it's not important that it's a linear story, but I like spending more time interacting with characters and exploring the game world. DDS had a really interesting backdrop, but I didn't feel like I really got to experience much of the world. I just don't enjoy turn-based RPG combat enough for that to be the centerpiece of the game.

inner-G

Banned
tokkun said:
Well, it's not important that it's a linear story, but I like spending more time interacting with characters and exploring the game world. DDS had a really interesting backdrop, but I didn't feel like I really got to experience much of the world. I just don't enjoy turn-based RPG combat enough for that to be the centerpiece of the game.
Did you play Dragon Quest VIII?

DiddyBop

where's that guy that works at atlus? will this be available on amazon? hopefully this is the same thing as the mgs essentials collection,first to appear on play asia then later nearer to release date available at other shops.

tokkun

inner-G said:
Did you play Dragon Quest VIII?

Yeah, I thought it was gorgeous, had great music, and the fairy-tale motif seemed to really work well with the DQ style. I played for about 30 hours, but didn't finish it. I ended up getting kinda bored because I didn't find the combat very stimulating and the story started to get really predictable later on.

This is fucking mind blowing news to me. I keep telling my friends that they HAVE TO play this game, but obviously they're not going to pay $100+ to enjoy it. Great news.

As far as the quality of the game goes, well... it's freaking awesome! This is honestly one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and that's really strange because I'm typically the kind of guy who looks for a deep and involving storyline, which is something Nocturne just doesn't have going for it. However, I do feel that the storyline itself is fantastic, but the storytelling, or lack thereof, might be what turns a lot of people off. In short, don't expect long scenes filled with dialogue explaining everything to you and a vast sea of NPCs to fill in the blanks. Most cutscenes will be filled with cryptic dialogue and/or loads of eye candy, and NPCs rarely ever say anything that can be taken seriously.

Ultimately, just enjoy the game for what it is: The most badass RPG ever made with a soundtrack and art to die for. It also has one of the best openings I've ever seen.

Buy this game. BUY IT NOW!

inner-G

Banned
tokkun said:
Yeah, I thought it was gorgeous, had great music, and the fairy-tale motif seemed to really work well with the DQ style. I played for about 30 hours, but didn't finish it. I ended up getting kinda bored because I didn't find the combat very stimulating and the story started to get really predictable later on.
Yeah, it had a really cool open world for a 3D JRPG. I would've suggested it because it seemed like a fit for your preferences.

Story was rather tame though, especially compared to Nocturne!

Yaweee

NaughtyCalibur said:
This is fucking mind blowing news to me. I keep telling my friends that they HAVE TO play this game, but obviously they're not going to pay $100+ to enjoy it. Great news.

As far as the quality of the game goes, well... it's freaking awesome! This is honestly one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and that's really strange because I'm typically the kind of guy who looks for a deep and involving storyline, which is something Nocturne just doesn't have going for it. However, I do feel that the storyline itself is fantastic, but the storytelling, or lack thereof, might be what turns a lot of people off. In short, don't expect long scenes filled with dialogue explaining everything to you and a vast sea of NPCs to fill in the blanks. Most cutscenes will be filled with cryptic dialogue and/or loads of eye candy, and NPCs rarely ever say anything that can be taken seriously.

Ultimately, just enjoy the game for what it is: The most badass RPG ever made with a soundtrack and art to die for. It also has one of the best openings I've ever seen.

Buy this game. BUY IT NOW!
All of the Kotowari scenes, and the
Aradia scene with the line "You who are called Freedom--" lines
are great to. Oh, and is the second opening move, after the awesome title screen loops.

462px-Harlot-00.jpg

Souther

Banned
This is a awesome game...1 of the best I've ever played. I love these types of games. Various Deities from various religions all packed into 1 game.

Let alone the fact that
Lucifer is testing you to see if you have what it takes to lead his army against god!(true demon ending that is)

Picked this game up mint with soundtrack from someone for 20$. Guess he didn't know or care what this was going for.

Teknoman

Hell yeah. Title loop 2 = AWESOME.

Check that out.

Souther said:
This is a awesome game...1 of the best I've ever played. I love these types of games. Various Deities from various religions all packed into 1 game.

Let alone the fact that
Lucifer is testing you to see if you have what it takes to lead his army against god!(true demon ending that is)

Picked this game up mint with soundtrack from someone for 20$. Guess he didn't know or care what this was going for.

Yeah,
I just went as far to be able to see all the fiends and recruit Dante. Sorry Lucy, i'm a one deity man :lol

tokkun

inner-G said:
Yeah, it had a really cool open world for a 3D JRPG. I would've suggested it because it seemed like a fit for your preferences.

Story was rather tame though, especially compared to Nocturne!

Yeah, I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of DQ8. I wish more games had such a strong sense of scale in their worlds.

Hitoshura

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:
Nocturne having a minimalist story is not a bad thing.I'll take that over another generic RPG story about Racism or saving the world...hell the world
is destroyed
at the beginning of Nocturne...talk about starting things off with a bang.

Oh and multiple Endings say Hi.

Hitoshura

Banned
tokkun said:
Yeah, I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of DQ8. I wish more games had such a strong sense of scale in their worlds.

You do have a good point, in truth DQ8 had one of the most massive worlds (even though in reality, compared to other more modern games, say Oblivion, it wasn't that big) I've ever experienced.

Yaweee

I don't think I've ever seen a game that is so love it or hate. Everyone that likes it thinks it is the best game ever, and pretty much anyone that can finish it likes it.

Avalon

This is really great news. Although Persona 3 is amazing, I can't help but people might forget (or never be introduced) to the older style of SMT games. Maybe this can fuel some kind of demand for more games in that style.

Only wish I had foreseen this so I can unload my initial release copy. :(

Hitoshura

Banned
Avalon said:
This is really great news. Although Persona 3 is amazing, I can't help but people might forget (or never be introduced) to the older style of SMT games. Maybe this can fuel some kind of demand for more games in that style.

Only wish I had foreseen this so I can unload my initial release copy. :(

I LOVE P3...but as much as I am looking forward to Fes and P4...I WANT SMT4

Top Bottom