• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: The Re-print

Monroeski said:
What is this Hard Mode you speak of? I always thought there was just Normal Mode and Stupid Tedious Bullshit Mode. :D

:lol

No, I can see why there's a lot of hate for Hard Mode, but since I started the game on Hard Mode as soon as I popped it in I guess I appreciate it a little bit more. Beating the game completely
including kicking Lucifer's teeth in
on Hard Mode makes you feel rather accomplished. To me, Hard Mode is Nocturne's Normal Mode. I honestly couldn't see myself playing any other way. Sure, at times it's cheap and frustrating, but for some reason that just seems fitting. Honestly, do you really think demons from Hell are going to play fair?

You just have to be smart and [most of all] patient to ensure that you have a defense against any and all cheap tactics enemies may toss at you, and an equally cheap counterattack. Of course, early in the game you may not have access to a lot of skills to ensure you don't get Game Overs left and right, but after you get past the first few hours of the game you should be alright. Just save often and don't get too cocky. The game is usually only as frustrating as you make it for yourself.

Yaweee

gregor7777 said:
HELL YES

If you like JRPG that is. Or perhaps, if you hate them.

I wouldn't say its a must buy. Some people like frequent and long cutscenes in their RPGs, which Nocturne lacks.

Yaweee

Prime crotch said:
That's hardly a flaw.

Everybody plays games for different reasons, though, and Nocturne excels for dismissing things that a lot of people really like. Granted, I think there's something wrong with people that can still stomach the stories in most most RPGs (Tales, Shadow Hearts spring to mind as long-dead corpses), but people really should know what they're getting into before they buy th game.

cpro said:
Everybody plays games for different reasons, though, and Nocturne excels for dismissing things that a lot of people really like. Granted, I think there's something wrong with people that can still stomach the stories in most most RPGs (Tales, Shadow Hearts spring to mind as long-dead corpses), but people really should know what they're getting into before they buy th game.

Definitely because let's be honest here this game isn't for everyone. A friend of mine whom played nothing but easy casual RPGs, took awhile to get used to this game. After the initial whining of course :lol

Yaweee

botticus said:
My friend described this as a 3D Etrian Odyssey, which meant I have to buy it. But I'm waiting for Amazon to get it.

It really is a 3D update of Wizardry-style dungeons with a highly customizable party.

cpro said:
I wouldn't say its a must buy. Some people like frequent and long cutscenes in their RPGs, which Nocturne lacks.

I'd still say it's a must buy. Just because it's not your normal JRPG doesn't mean you should dismiss a masterpiece in game design.

I love it's understated story, but frankly it was the gameplay that had me coming back for more punishment.

EDIT: says the guy with a Matador avatar :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
cpro said:
You can go to special places :mad:

stawnkald

I ordered it off Play-Asia the instant I saw it available yesterday morning. It's like atoning for a sin...that sin being selling my original copy when I figured I'd never play it again. And of course, I got the itch and it killed me to have ditched it. But now...I'm happy! :D

jvalioli

I've already played it but I don't have my own copy. I'll buy this if/when it appears on Amazon, since Amazon and Atlus have a tight relationship. Makes sense that it appears on Play-Asia first since they are located where re-prints are usually printed.

Aeana

Teknoman said:
Arent the names some middle eastern language?

Well, some of the names come from other languages, that's true. Agi, for example, probably comes from Sanskrit. And the prefix ma- used to be maha-, which is Sanskrit for 'big.' as well as 'megido' which is from Hebrew. Lots of them are still totally made-up, though.

MoogPaul

Well, if Atlus is reprinting the game, and Atlus no longer has a store, and the Atlus store is handled through amazon.... shouldn't this show up on amazon soon?

satori

I have to admit...this game is in my back log ><. Matter of fact I do not think I even opened it. Don't hang me! I have 3 more games to finish before I start this one. Screw you WoW for making my back log of games so fukin huge.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
satori said:
I have to admit...this game is in my back log ><. Matter of fact I do not think I even opened it. Don't hang me! I have 3 more games to finish before I start this one. Screw you WoW for making my back log of games so fukin huge.

I have 76 games in my backlog right now. 42 that I have never or barely played, 34 that I have played at least a few hours of but not done anything near finishing.

soldat7

Sorry for being a noob:

1) In order to enjoy this game do you have to play the games that come before it?

2) I hate games with high-school kids and anything to do with high-school. How much focus is there on that aspect?

Joule

soldat7 said:
Sorry for being a noob:

1) In order to enjoy this game do you have to play the games that come before it?

2) I hate games with high-school kids and anything to do with high-school. How much focus is there on that aspect?

1) No. It's very standalone.

2) Very little. Other than the fact you and your two friends are high school students, that's pretty much it.

MoxManiac

cpro said:

Dude, Shadow Hearts?? I generally dislike general jRPG storytelling as much as the next guy (especially if it's paticularly animu) but SH and SH2 are shining beacons of awesome jRPG stories among a sea of mediocrity.

Yaweee

MoxManiac said:
Dude, Shadow Hearts?? I generally dislike general jRPG storytelling as much as the next guy (especially if it's paticularly animu) but SH and SH2 are shining beacons of awesome jRPG stories among a sea of mediocrity.
Shadow Hearts one was good, but SH2 started to lose it. It got kind of cool near the end, but it was pretty fetch-questy/superficial-diversions through and through, and the cutscenes generally weren't intriguing or well-written. Don't get me started on Shadow Hearts 3. I mean, their stories are pretty "animu", except with even worse animation and voice acting. The games have nice twists, but everything between them...

Perhaps my boredom with the gameplay of SH2 clouds my view of the story. The second half of the game I ran from everysingle battle that didn't have the enemies clumped enough to instantly AoE to death, and every single boss fight except the Big Armor Thing and the Last Boss used the same exact strategy. And when I say The Same, I mean The Same.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
soldat7 said:
Sorry for being a noob:

It's not necessary, no. I'm going to go play 1/2/if... to completion one day, though.
About five minutes?

soldat7 said:
Sorry for being a noob:

About 15 minutes in, that ALL goes away. Trust me. Greatest JRPG intro I've seen.

MoxManiac

cpro said:
Shadow Hearts one was good, but SH2 started to lose it. It got kind of cool near the end, but it was pretty fetch-questy/superficial-diversions through and through, and the cutscenes generally weren't intriguing or well-written. Don't get me started on Shadow Hearts 3. I mean, their stories are pretty "animu", except with even worse animation and voice acting. The games have nice twists, but everything between them...

Perhaps my boredom with the gameplay of SH2 clouds my view of the story. The second half of the game I ran from everysingle battle that didn't have the enemies clumped enough to instantly AoE to death, and every single boss fight except the Big Armor Thing and the Last Boss used the same exact strategy. And when I say The Same, I mean The Same.

I agree SH2 had major gameplay issues. Actually, quite awhile back I was ranting about the gameplay, focusing on lack of difficulty (including bosses that are impossible to lose to, as they rarely attack more than one character at a time.) Still, it's one of the few games that kept me going regardless, as I loved the setting, characters (Gepetto and Blanca are two of my favorite characters ever.) and general atomosphere of the game.

RevenantKioku

SatelliteOfLove said:
About 15 minutes in, that ALL goes away. Trust me. Greatest JRPG intro I've seen.
And then.... Well, I like SMT3. I do, but... It's scenario just is not as good as what I've played of the first two games. It loses part of the mood I think it should have. Not that big of a deal, but a little upsetting.

soldat7

Joule said:
1) No. It's very standalone.

2) Very little. Other than the fact you and your two friends are high school students, that's pretty much it.

Cool. How long are these 're-prints' usually available? I'm a little burnt out having recently purchased Gradius V and ZOE 2 (well my WIFE is burnt out rather lol). I don't want to miss an opportunity like this one however...

MoxManiac said:
SH2 started to loose it when they went all animu crazy mid-way or so. The ending was pretty good though.

Yaweee

MoxManiac said:
I agree SH2 had major gameplay issues. Actually, quite awhile back I was ranting about the gameplay, focusing on lack of difficulty (including bosses that are impossible to lose to, as they rarely attack more than one character at a time.) Still, it's one of the few games that kept me going regardless, as I loved the setting, characters (Gepetto and Blanca are two of my favorite characters ever.) and general atomosphere of the game.

It really is one of the easiest RPGs I've ever played, but I agree on atmosphere... partially. I loved the 'Return to Japan' chapter.

probune

MoxManiac said:

I wouldn't say awesome, but at least they don't fail entirely.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I got a free copy of the Nocturne soundtrack when I bought the DDS1 manual from the Atlus store. I ended up shipping it to a guy online who was a huge Nocturne fan, and I also thought I'd never find the game at a reasonable price. Well I found a used copy at a good price but it was missing the manual. So I bought the manual but no free soundtrack, Atlus had run out :(. Oh well, the guy I sent it to enojyed it way more than I would have so I don't regret it.

Jurai

Banned
I like how the people on GAF rant about how great the game is, while the people on CAG rant about how their ebay reselling price is going to go down and the reprint is bullshit

Joule

soldat7 said:
Cool. How long are these 're-prints' usually available? I'm a little burnt out having recently purchased Gradius V and ZOE 2 (well my WIFE is burnt out rather lol). I don't want to miss an opportunity like this one however...

I'm not sure but I just bit the bullet for it. And I purchased two games last week and will buy another when P3:FES comes out. Huh 4 Atlus games in a month.

Yaweee

Jimmy Stav said:
Should I avoid this game if I'm someone who wasn't even hardcore enough for P3?

P3 isn't hardcore the slightest bit.

Jurai said:
I like how the people on GAF rant about how great the game is, while the people on CAG rant about how their ebay reselling price is going to go down and the reprint is bullshit
That's what happens when you view something as a business instead of a hobby.

I'm torn--Nocturne sounds decent, and I initially enjoyed P3, but grew disgruntled with the repetition. :\ And what's with all this SH2 hate?

Joule

modkennylaine said:
I'm torn--Nocturne sounds decent, and I initially enjoyed P3, but grew disgruntled with the repetition. :\ And what's with all this SH2 hate?

SH2 only disappointed me in its difficulty and ending. I used the nearly exact same strategies I had in SH1 to run through every boss once I could implement it.

The ending is well
odd I guess. Time travel usually does put a wonk on things. I think it was really more the presentation of it that was lacking compared to the rest of the game (talking about the good ending). I did like the end scene with Yuri getting back on the train.

soldat7 said:
I'm tired of games becoming 'rare' in this digital age. It's stupid.

Agreed. I understand Atlus business model, but the fact that there is demand for reprints and they know they could fill smallish orders where everyone paid in full through their website leaves me wondering if it is more of a marketing strategy at this point.

Yaweee

By my understanding, part of the problem is a flat-fee associated with any print run, + a per unit cost of manufacturing. Produce too many, and you eat cost of extras. Produce too few, and you miss potential sells. Smallish extra print runs aren't always worth the risk.

cpro said:
By my understanding, part of the problem is a flat-fee associated with any print run, + a per unit cost of manufacturing. Produce too many, and you eat cost of extras. Produce too few, and you miss potential sells. Smallish extra print runs aren't always worth the risk.

They have/had their own ecommerce store. They could just do paid in full preorders for a month and do small runs.

Unless that flat fee would make it too costly. Then I would understand.

straydog1980 said:
but it makes me feel special to collect those rare games :(

It's part of the pride of having a collection, isn't it?

Pride that you own it and someone else doesn't because it isn't available?

If that's what gets you going then cool, good on you. But I'd rather we both own the game and were able to talk about it together.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Its cool owning a game that may be close to 10 years or more out of print, something like Suikoden II or Valkyrie Profile I guess. We're now two generations from the original release so thats understandable. SMT: Nocturne went out of print in mere months. It was surprising to be unable to find a new copy anywhere and it wasn't even a year old at the time when I was hunting it down.

Top Bottom