• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Rankings showing 360 bias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Thanks to papercuts from the IGN 360 GB.

Original thread.

http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_general_board/b8266/163995947/p1/?13

---

In a recent thread it was stated that the 360 version of GTA4 dropped on overall ranking below OoT like people expected to happen eventually, but the PS3 version was the top of the list.

However, now the list has OoT as number 3, the overall percentage score dropped but there are no new reviews. I believe it was around 97.85, it dropped .4 out of nowhere. The 360 version on GTA4 is now the top again, and the PS3 dropped, same as OoT. So, what the hell? Hopefully this doesn't turn into an argument about whether or not OoT should be the best rated game ever, but it also shouldn't have this stuff happening. Gamerankings is owned by cnet, and you probably know what happened with gamespot, another site owned by them.

---

I can understand percentage drops, but not when there haven't been any new reviews. I'd say it's possible Microsoft/Cnet have something to do with this. What are your thoughts?

Current rankings.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

Maybe this should be an argument about how ridiculous the notion of ranking games based on some bullshit, aggregate and artificial review collection.

Maybe.

nib95 said:
Gamerankings is owned by cnet, and you probably know what happened with gamespot, another site owned by them.

Actually, they are now owned by CBS. I think that the Governement and Microsoft are working together with the media to take down Sony and it's working one ranking at a time. We better get some watchdog groups on this cause this is second only to mind control!!!

:rolleyes:

TomServo

Saw the thread title, saw the OP, and came in here to tell him to keep it at IGN.

I LOL'd when I opened up the thread and saw that it already was. Nice work, Nibs. Never give up the fight.

pj

Banned
nib95 said:
I think you lack reading comprehension and sense. It's not about the percentage, but the principle. That Game Rankings may be bias and change results on the fly (not based on reviews) depending on unknown circumstances or reasons.

why would microsoft care if gta4 was ranked above oot?

nib95

Banned
pj325is said:
why would microsoft care if gta4 was ranked above oot?

They'd care it was ranked above the PS3 version, and having a 360 game ranked as the number one game of all time doesn't hurt. It's not really that hard to comprehend.

biased? its the better version. :lol and :lol at people saying it doesnt deserve #1. Zelda is old and busted GTA is the new hotness. get over it. move on. just because wii has infested gaming world doesnt mean zelda still has the right to be number 1 oops i said too much.

I think OoT is #1 only because back then reviews were handed down from legitimate sources (magazines that cost millions to run) where as now, worthless fucks like boomtown, GamerNode, destructoid and all matters of other sites ran out of basements get included.

pj

Banned
nib95 said:
They'd care it was ranked above the PS3 version, and having a 360 game ranked as the number one game of all time doesn't hurt. It's not really that hard to comprehend.

which goes back to my 13 one thousandths of a percent comment..

Even MS isn't slimy enough to claim that as a victory

There have been new reveiws.

Using the internet wayback machine on archive.org, some time between august 30th 2007 and now, the site "CUB3D" was added, who gave OOT a 90% in 2003, bringing its average score from an awesome fucking wowsome 97.7% to an absolutley pathetic 97.406%

The difference between the ps3 and 360 scores are caused by sites rating one or the other. The 360 version has 54 articles in the average, with 32 of them being 100%. The ps3 version has 43 articles in the average, with 23 of them being 100%. The 360 version has 11 more reviews, and 9 of them are 100%

nib95 said:
I think you lack reading comprehension and sense. It's not about the percentage, but the principle. That Game Rankings may be bias and change results on the fly (not based on reviews) depending on unknown circumstances or reasons.
You're talking about a miniscule percentage, and it might reflect one version running better than the other.

And btw, the dude in your avatar looks like a fucking douchebag. Who is he?

pj

Banned
SIP YEK NOD said:
There have been new reveiws.

Using the internet wayback machine on archive.org, some time between august 30th 2007 and now, the site "CUB3D" was added, who gave OOT a 90% in 2003, bringing its average score from an awesome fucking wowsome 97.7% to an absolutley pathetic 97.406%

The difference between the ps3 and 360 scores are caused by sites rating one or the other. The 360 version has 54 articles in the average, with 32 of them being 100%. The ps3 version has 43 articles in the average, with 23 of them being 100%. The 360 version has 11 more reviews, and 9 of them are 100%

hmm.. so you're saying that CUB3D is in MS's pocket?

slaughterking said:
So GTA 360 is 0,013 percent better then GTA PS3. I guess MS payed really good for that.

I bet they didn't even pay. They probably killed a homeless person at Bohemian Grove as a sacrifice to the elder god of video game review averages!

Proelite

slaughterking said:
So GTA 360 is 0,013 percent better then GTA PS3. I guess MS payed really good for that.

It's like $50,000 for 0.001 percent. Btw, you typed a comma instead of a decimal.

It's mafia. Don't you understand?

The entire ranking of GTAIV is a giant joke, because the game is all, but without defects.
Simply reviewers were incredibly hyped and Rockstar pressure forced them indirectly to give 10s.

But don't try to convicne me that GTAIV is the best game ever, because I LOL in your face. Seriously.
When Ocarina of Time came out, it was a game without defects (in the sense that nobody could think at someone that could have been ameliorated) and revolutionary. GTAIV is neither without defects, neither revolutionary.
So, all this praise and all these 10s are an incredible scandal in my opinion.

pj

Banned
SIP YEK NOD said:
actually, Nintendos.

They only review nintendo games.

that's what they want you to think. MS paid them to give low scores to popular nintendo games. CLEARLY

RiskyChris said:
Maybe this should be an argument about how ridiculous the notion of ranking games based on some bullshit, aggregate and artificial review collection.

Maybe.

True. Absolutely true. Simply reviewers are not objective.

fortified_concept said:
Oh God GTA4 is the #1 game in gamerankings? Game "journalism" is a fucking joke.

Quoted for the Win.

Rad Agast

MobiusPigeon said:
should be more upset that tekken is in the top 10 instead of a street fighter or VF game.

That's not surprising really. It's known that most reviewers are about average when it comes to fighting games (and most other genres for that matter).

They also added a review to OoT out of nowhere which brought its overall percentage up during Super Mario Galaxy's run.

In other words, both Gamerankings and the concept behind it are facepalm worthy.

bj00rn

Banned
OMFG Nib, you're as big a conspiracy nut as I thought you were a PS3 nut. Jesus christ how I hate how this side of gaming is growing bigger and more imbecile by the day.

Who the hell cares about gamerankings anyway, it is not supposed to be "fair", it is not supposed to be anything else than a list of review-scores, not "evidence" of anything. But on the basis of people going nuts over it, I think Gamerankings should be as banned from this site as "that other site" is

nib95 said:

My God, why are you surprised? Every industry is a concentrated of mafia and favoritisms. The game industry makes no exception and GTAIV is only the last game to be reviewed intentionally higher then it deserves.

I'm disgusted, but not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom