• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG - 256 player online battle love

LiK

whoa, that's a lot of players....

-January 26, 2010
-256 Players
-8 Player Squads

Strider2K99 said:

E3 2008 Debut and CGI Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36474.html

E3 2009:
Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2008-mag/36474

PS Blog 2009 Trailer:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...o-the-shadow-war-at-pax-seattle-blog-meet-up/

Gameplay:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-mag/50270

SolidSnakex said:

Loudninja said:

SolidSnakex said:
162653d.png

HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-256-mag/51800
SD: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/51801.html?type=flv

GT has something on their front page that says "MAG Mondays", so it looks like they'll have a new video every Monday.

SolidSnakex said:

SolidSnakex said:

Hands-On Impressions:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/210697/hands-on-with-mag-ps3/

http://www.switched.com/2009/06/08/mags-256-person-capacity-makes-it-the-biggest-multiplayer-game/

Screenshots:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;header;more

950933_20090603_790screen001.jpg

950933_20090603_790screen002.jpg

950933_20090603_790screen003.jpg

950933_20090603_790screen004.jpg

950933_20090603_790screen005.jpg

950933_20090430_790screen001.jpg

950933_20090430_790screen004.jpg

Doel

Thank god they didn't call it SOCOM.

I think it sounds really good. Zipper was always held down by PS2's tech. They can finally realize their dream of a huge war game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Generic Action Game.

Seriously, dumbest name for a game ever.

Could you image if Super Mario Bros. had been called Colorful Platform Game?

Igo

GrimtekP21 said:
DC Universe and MAG? Sony is just damn retarded, and I have been a Sony fanboy for a while. Screw this, I'm going 360

Wtf does that even mean? All the great games coming and you're "going 360" because they showed two titles that you're not interested in? Please explain to me what you mean by "going 360".

itxaka

Defeatist
ugh.

I love the idea of a tactical huge game with chain of command and everything but:

- Too many players
- Difficult to command
- Not too many people with headsets (MGO is tactical and nobody has one :_( )

This issues can be corrected, the first 2 ones with time and the third one just having the commanders having headsets but it comes the fourth and worst:

- People online are idiots

I really hope they got a good system to get the commander tag because if not, the fucktards are gonna ruin it.

Anyway, probably day one. Tactical Online shooters = Win

btkadams

the name is a little weird. but i think theyre trying to give the impression that its a hardcore game. really indepth ranking and customization and squad based shit. no story obviously.

J-Rzez

Un-fucking-believable this game is real! Megaton indeed. Odd that the PS3 has the clear advantage with online games this gen when the xbox ruled it last time.

And it's made by Zipper, who knows what's important and what people want. Game. Set. Match.

Won

An enforced command line in an online world, where everyone wants to be most badass motherfucker does sound like a good concept and will end in hours of great fun.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
J-Rzez said:
Un-fucking-believable this game is real! Megaton indeed. Odd that the PS3 has the clear advantage with online games this gen when the xbox ruled it last time.

And it's made by Zipper, who knows what's important and what people want. Game. Set. Match.

Awesome.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sounds like a good idea on paper, but it's just going to be a mess online, 256 people TK'ing each other for vehicles etc.

-viper-

Banned
256 players?

With what, PS1 graphics?

It really should be a 128 player game AT max to be honest. 256 players is TOO MUCH.

Mau ®

I thought the concept sounded fucking awesome. 256 players is a lot but it'll be divided in 8 players squads with concrete objectives in a huge war.

It sucked that they only showed a CG trailer. Eh.

gillty

Banned
J-Rzez said:

wth its just BF2 x 4 its not unbelievable and its gonna get scaled down.
BF2 promised 128 players when it was announced, it shipped with 64.
it looks even more generic than BF2 :lol

LiK

i agree, that it sucked that they used CGI for the trailer but if it can be done, it could be real fun. Sony, please don't fuck it up.

this is better than DCU online at least....

Omikaru

From a technical standpoint if they pull this off it'll be epic. Though to be honest it just looks like a generic military shooter with 256 players. That plus a boring CG trailer = pass unless they decide to blow me away with fun looking gameplay.

At least they've got enough shooters to combat MS now, eh?:lol

GodofWine

Now I wan't:

R2
MAG
R&C
LBP
MS2
KZ2
SC4
GT5
GOWIII
WOHD
SOCOM

I refuse to speak in anything other than gamer abbreviations.

My condolences to inFamous..which has no abbreviation, but I want it.

-viper-

Banned
GodofWine said:
Now I wan't:

R2
MAG
R&C
LBP
MS2
KZ2
SC4
GT5
SOCOM

I refuse to speak in anything other than gamer abbreviations.

My condolences to inFamous..which has no abbreviation, but I want it.
GOW3?

J-Rzez

Valru said:
wth its just BF2 x 4 its not unbelievable and its gonna get scaled down.
BF2 promised 128 players when it was announced, it shipped with 64.
it looks even more generic than BF2 :lol

Made by Zipper Int. They got to see what works with people, and what doesn't. And I'm sure they'll scale gameplay to the size of the battle off hand. I don't care WHAT BF2 promised, this is made by Zipper.

Generic. Yeah, it doesn't look unique like BF's or CoD4... You know, guys in modern camo with guns. :lol

Sorry chap, 256 players with character progression is not generic.

Fatbot

Banned
If they pull off 256 players from a technical and logistics viewpoint then this will be unbelievable.

BF2 has tried this on a smaller scale but this is really unprecendented.

I really think this concept is impossible to realize but at least Sony is ballsy enough to try.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Is it a FPS or what? I liked what i saw of it. I would be fine with Ps2 graphics if they pull it off without lag / Spawn killing

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I'm not sure what to make of this one, but they ought to just drop the acronym right here, right now, today, and just call it MAG. Let's forget it stood for something at all.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with Sony's showing. They really didn't show anything that I didn't already know about, outside of Mag, and PSP Resistance, and their answer to the FF13 coup was MAG.

I'm very disappointed in the PSP stuff. They have to be getting ready to phase it out next year. There's no other explanation for the complete lack of new games for the system. We have Resistance, Patapon II, and Loco Roco II. And come on, they just use the same engine for Pat and Loc 1 and make new levels. So we really have one new franchise to PSP coming in the next year. That's not good enough.

_dd_

Igo said:
Wtf does that even mean? All the great games coming and you're "going 360" because they showed two titles that you're not interested in? Please explain to me what you mean by "going 360".

He's going w/ FFXIII

--

This game sounds intresting. I'm really doubting it's going to be 256 players on screen at once (or even fighting at once) I can't see it not be divided into 32 smaller teams of 8, split in half for opposing forces, and then later played out in smaller 8v8 games. (Possibly 16v16) But with Resistance 2 doing 30v30, maybe Sony has some tricks up their sleeves.

Hitmeneer

Planetside ... anyone... Planetside 2.0?

Will this be squad vs squad (like the '60 man' multiplayer of R2) or real 128 vs 128 man?

Besides, this is part of SOE right :') ? If one company can screw up MMORPG's, it's SOE.

bud

there's absolutely nothing to get exited about here. that trailer was awful--if you're going to show a cg trailer, then atleast make it look good and exiting, instead of a random war shooter. and 256 players? so what? right now, there are more reasons to get excited over, like, r2's mp, then this.

The sad thing is Planetside is on the verge of dying. Great game but it was never balanced (jackhammer and scatter max made nc too strong) and now it's on the verge of its death rattle. Hasn't had a major patch in 2 years really, just piecemeal updates to keep the dwiddling subscribers semi interested. They merged the 2 american server 2 months ago, which automatically killed the european server. Devs haven't said a word since then.

btkadams

Hitmeneer said:
Planetside ... anyone... Planetside 2.0?

Will this be squad vs squad (like the '60 man' multiplayer of R2) or real 128 vs 128 man?

Besides, this is part of SOE right :') ? If one company can screw up MMORPG's, it's SOE.
um... its made by zipper. not a part of soe at all. part of worldwide studios

Top Bottom