• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

I'm most interested in how the strategy holds up in the latter half of the game. ie, does it get more challenging but remain fair? does it get more fun as you get used to the deeper mechanics and tactics?

And 15-20 hours would be fine for me. I don't expect much padding

Combat gets worse IMO.

It's so easy and because one party composition/strategy is so clearly the most effective, it justs super repetitive.

Linkura

Think he's talking about the thumbnails that have a picture of the final boss alongside "RABBID REGGIE FINAL BOSS" as the title. Pretty hard to avoid those if YT decides to recommend it to you.

...if Rabbid Reggie is the final boss I apologize for spoiling it.

That's too good for this world. :(

1337Sauce

Combat gets worse IMO.

It's so easy and because one party composition/strategy is so clearly the most effective, it justs super repetitive.

Ditto as far as I am concerned. Halfway through the third world, and the combat is starting to get a bit repetitive for me as well. Have mostly kept with the same party for the past while after figuring out the fastest combination to clear maps.

Boss fights are excellent though!

Linebeck

Banned
mario-rabbids-event.jpg

Noice!

So review embargo lifts tomorrow at around 4am PT. When I wake up in the morning I'll be either woah or WOAH

or I guess also wo...ah.....?

Just got Amazon to overnight the game to me, I thought all pre-ordered games were supposed to be delivered on delivery day? My order said it would be shipped on release day and be to my house on the 31st. Not good enough, I complained and now will at least get it on the 30th.

Mine also said Thursday. I contacted them and they told me it would be delivered on the 29th but we shall see.

N30RYU

Any info if the game is gonna be cheaper digitally in other regions like Sonic Mania??

Also is the game multilanguage?

Encountered a strange bug making me unable to use the A button. If I switched controller modes it lets me press A once or twice, then locks up again. (Thankful for that since I was 1 A press away from finishing a fight). I reset the game and everything seems fine now.

Hopefully this gets fixed quickly!

El Odio

Banned
So does everyone else ordering from amazon have delivery for the 31st? Not sure if I wanna wait for this game but the pixel bonus and $50 cost is pretty appealing..

Does only having
worlds (I think this information is publicly available) make the game feel short to people who have it?

I thought there would have been at least
?

seph1roth

Preorder cancelled till user reviews.

Seems to be a very short game for what it is, an XCOM wannabe, and very repetitive.

I need to know if it's a true quality game for the Switch, a system that needs good games asap.

ZeroX03

Banned
Preorder cancelled till user reviews.

Seems to be a very short game for what it is, an XCOM wannabe, and very repetitive.

I need to know if it's a true quality game for the Switch, a system that needs good games asap.

The GAF impressions have been overwhelmingly positive.

And it's not trying to be XCOM wholesale. It's adapted the gameplay into a more casual friendly package. That kind of length, difficulty and depth for a younger audience would be insane. 20 hours + side content seems more than fine.

Linkura

Combat gets worse IMO.

Well fuck, this is what I was afraid of. Should I cancel my preorder and wait for tomorrow's reviews?!

I'm leaning towards keeping it though. It'll be great for me to play while my husband uses the PS4- he's still playing through DQ11. If it sucks, I can resell it and lose maybe $5-10 total.

FYI, someone posted the final boss battle and ending on YouTube.

It's Bowser.

No Rabbid Reggie?!!?!?! Fuck this game. ;)

King_Moc

Banned
I'm still messing around in the first world. The exploration elements are better than I thought they'd be. In the first world alone there were 20 levels, including two secret ones and two boss ones. Upon re-exploring afterwards with a new ability, there are a further 10 challenge levels which have tougher objectives in them, and a whole load of unlockables hidden around the world that the new ability helps you to find.

You'd never guess this was a Ubisoft game from playing it. The charm levels are off the chart.

Now a friend of mine's game crashed and took him several tries to get it to start back up. Do we know if there'll be a day-one update?

Does only having
worlds (I think this information is publicly available) make the game feel short to people who have it?

I thought there would have been at least
?

It doesn't feel short at all. Can't say how long ive been playing, because of frequent breaks, but id guess the game is between 10-15 hours with a lot of extra challenges and side routes to be revisited after completing a world.

Not sure how long strategy games are though, 12 hours with good replay value / extra content seems good to me. Its really the first strategy game ive enjoyed enough to play more than a couple hours of.

Linkura

]

Not sure how long strategy games are though, 12 hours with good replay value / extra content seems good to me. Its really the first strategy game ive enjoyed enough to play more than a couple hours of.

Usually way longer than that.

Combat gets worse IMO.

What is this composition/strategy? Feel free to put in spoilers so others aren't spoiled.

I'm still messing around in the first world. The exploration elements are better than I thought they'd be. In the first world alone there were 20 levels, including two secret ones and two boss ones. Upon re-exploring afterwards with a new ability, there are a further 10 challenge levels which have tougher objectives in them, and a whole load of unlockables hidden around the world that the new ability helps you to find.

You'd never guess this was a Ubisoft game from playing it. The charm levels are off the chart.

The Rayman games had a lot of charm

atom519

Combat gets worse IMO.

This kinda bummed me out when I first read it, then I remembered that I played through both Costume Quest games twice and the combat there is extremely repetitive. Maybe I won't care provided the charm factor and boss battles are enjoyable.

Well fuck, this is what I was afraid of. Should I cancel my preorder and wait for tomorrow's reviews?!

I still think its a good game, just wrapped up the challenges + Secret level for world 3 and they were as usual much better than the normal world combat.
But the pacing of chapter 3 was pretty tiring,tons of combat which didn't really have anything interesting about it.

Regarding that strategy
Mario/Luigi with bounce weapons.
Rabbit peach with push weapon.

Mario has a M-power focused build, Luigi has a Steely Stare build and R.Peach a Mega Heal build.

The combo
M-Power -> Steely stare -> Use weapons to proc steely stare,
is a tad strong.....

In non Mario + Rabbid terms:
You use weapons that have X% chance to move an enemy.
Moving an enemy in M+R triggers overwatch.

Mario has an AOE damage buff (+70%) that lasts one round.
Luigi is a sniper with an overwatch ability that triggers 3 times.

So using Luigis overwatch and Marios buff, your getting
-1 Attack from Mario
-1 Attack from Luigi
-1 Attack from a Rabbid
- Up to 3 extra attacks if an enemy moves or is moved by you
, all boosted by 70%.

Linkura

I still think its a good game, just wrapped up the challenges + Secret level for world 3 and they were as usual much better than the normal world combat.
But the pacing of chapter 3 was pretty tiring,tons of combat which didn't really have anything interesting about it.

Regarding that strategy

In non Mario + Rabbid terms:
You use weapons that have X% chance to move an enemy.
Moving an enemy in M+R triggers overwatch.

Mario has an AOE damage buff (+70%) that lasts one round.
Luigi is a sniper with an overwatch ability that triggers 3 times.

So using Luigis overwatch and Marios buff, your getting
-1 Attack from Mario
-1 Attack from Luigi
-1 Attack from a Rabbid
- Up to 3 extra attacks if an enemy moves or is moved by you
, all boosted by 70%.

Thank you! Saving this post for when I get the game. :)

I still think I'm going to give it a shot.

Neiteio

If I find things getting repetitive, I'll try to mix things up by changing my team and using new weapons, skills, etc. I can always return to the winning formula when replaying missions for high scores or doing the special challenge missions.

my paperwork says 5am PST

One wink the game is good, two winks run away ;)
;)

Man, i hope the game is good. It maybe my only shot to get to play a somewhat Xcom gameplay with my wife, using it as a gateway drug possibly taking that toward a Divinity 2 coop campaign...

Top Bottom