• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sigourney Weaver talks about James Cameron's AVATAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audio file found here:
http://www.widescreen-vision.de/?article_id=656015

Wish AICN could have transcribed it. I'm at work and can't listen till I get home :(.
Here's the AICN article:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38130
Hey folks, Harry here... Thanks to Chris - a reader from Germany - he has made us aware of a brief Audio file from an interview with Sigourney Weaver which entirely concerns AVATAR - the movie that I feel we're collectively holding our breath awaiting the first real image, footage and trailer for. It's funny - the other day I sat down to watch the entire first series of the SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES, mainly at the behest of the talkbackers protesting my Train Wreck comment. Many said that I should watch past the first couple of episodes, as the show really did pick up. Boy do I agree. I'd say the last 4 episodes in the run really attempted to try to be great - on the budget they had. I loved where they were trying to go with the character work, but after completing the first season, I decided I had to put on my HD DVD of TERMINATOR 2 - that First Season finished up as a love sonnet to TERMINATOR 2 and it made me want to check it out again. Although I had watched it about 3 months prior... as... I fucking love that movie.

It is flawless. An absolutely exquisite work. The performances, the music, the photography, the editing, the visual effects, the story. Just absolutely perfect - without a shiny penny moment one. The thought hit me again, Cameron is again working on Science Fiction. He's only gone there a few times. TERMINATOR, ALIENS, THE ABYSS & TERMINATOR 2. The only flawed effort was the theatrical release of THE ABYSS - his Director's cut is a supreme triumph - but now we have a new science fiction effort coming from Jim.

I've known and been familiar with AVATAR for nearly 12 years now. I remember when I first came across his Scriptment. It stunned me. At the time I read it, I didn't fully understand how he could realize it. When I spoke with Cameron in advance of the shoot - it seemed that it had evolved quite a bit - and that over the past 12 years he's revisited the scriptment, worked to hone it, flesh it out - using his own adventurous exploits and studies to add a personal stake to the material - while developing the cameras and visual effects for it. I've spoken with a few people that have seen glimpses at it - and it isn't just what they say, it's the enthusiasm and the lack of words to describe what we have in store for us... that really gets me.

That we have OVER a year to wait is painful. That his plan was to debut imagery or footage at next year's ShoWest... well pretty much ensures that I'll be in Vegas. Sorry Quint, sorry SXSW... if he does debut footage there, I'm going to be there if I have to dig a tunnel from another hotel to the room to get there. This is the film I'm most excited for.

Give Sigourney a listen...

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Come on GAF, somebody transcribe it! Stop wasting your time fapping over otaku girls talking about pikachu bread and give Ripley some of your time.

So, I don't really understand this whole avatar thing. I mean, are they gonna use some sort of bizarro technology in theaters for people to be able to watch this?

How can anybody on GAF still not know everything about Cameron's film. Clearly I haven't made nearly enough threads about it.

Scullibundo said:
How can anybody on GAF still not know everything about Cameron's film. Clearly I haven't made nearly enough threads about it.
It shares a name with a kids' cartoon and none of the threads have "first pics" or a variation thereof in the thread title. Only James Cameron fanboys and OT addicts are going to bother.

Scullibundo said:
I thought every thread related to AVATAR was about that cartoon. So I just ignored them.

Just read about it though, sounds great.

master15

Weaver calls it a stirring adventure story. She said she's playing a scientist and jokingly told Cameron while filming in New Zealand she was playing a version of him; brilliant, devoted and impatient. She also mentions film has an environmental message.

Happy you Cameron-loving fiend?

I'm a bit weary of over-hype at this stage. I'm not expecting Terminator 2 levels of greatness, but I really do hope Cameron manages to become "king of the world" once more. ;p

Snaku

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
I thought this was about that shitty cartoon....

20ivsc7.jpg

So I just got home and was able to listen to Ripley's comments. I think the best thing said was 'Even if I was allowed to talk about the film in detail I would have trouble, because he's created this entirely different world that is so unlike anything we've seen before that it's hard to describe'. :D

IcebergSlim3000 said:
I think your taste in television is whats shitty here.
Wait wtf is going on here? Why is everyone supporting AVATAR (cartoon)? In what mad world have I woken up. I'm going back to sleep, hoping this is only a nightmare.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mr. Durden said:
Wait wtf is going on here? Why is everyone supporting AVATAR (cartoon)? In what mad world have I woken up. I'm going back to sleep, hoping this is only a nightmare.

Cuz the cartoon is one of the best shows out there. Don't dismiss it just because it was on Nick.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Dax01 said:
GTFO out of a thread because I don't like a TV show that isn't even the topic of the thread? Okay...

GTFO because you're dead wrong, more accurately.

I'm sure Cameron's Avatar will be amazing to look at, but I am disturbed by how similar the plot sounds to Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest.

MattKeil said:
GTFO because you're dead wrong, more accurately.

Not really; it's a really stupid show.

It is flawless. An absolutely exquisite work. The performances, the music, the photography, the editing, the visual effects, the story. Just absolutely perfect - without a shiny penny moment one. The thought hit me again, Cameron is again working on Science Fiction. He's only gone there a few times. TERMINATOR, ALIENS, THE ABYSS & TERMINATOR 2. The only flawed effort was the theatrical release of THE ABYSS - his Director's cut is a supreme triumph - but now we have a new science fiction effort coming from Jim.

It sounds sooo awesome. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom