• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cameron: "AVATAR makes Titanic look like a picnic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hbQrGBvGoOpVbEAO8H5JArEqdtSQ

TORONTO — James Cameron famously crowned himself "king of the world" after his epic film "Titanic" swept the Oscars a decade ago.

But as the director heads to Canada for this weekend's Walk of Fame celebrations, he boasts that his watery 1997 blockbuster starring Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet pales in comparison to his latest project, "Avatar."

"It makes 'Titanic' look like a picnic," Cameron said recently during an interview from Los Angeles, where he is working furiously on the new film.

Even Cameron, 54, finds it hard to describe the hugely ambitious "Avatar," which is being made in stereoscopic 3-D and combines live action and computer animation.

"It's simultaneously the most vexing and the most rewarding type of production that I've done yet," Cameron says of the project, due in theatres Dec. 18, 2009.

The scope of "Avatar," which reunites Cameron with "Aliens" star Sigourney Weaver, is perhaps not surprising. After all, the filmmaker, who was born in the mining town of Kapuskasing, Ont., and raised near Niagara Falls, Ont., has pushed the envelope throughout his career.

He burst onto the movie-making scene with the 1984 box office monster "The Terminator," starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton, whom Cameron went on to marry and divorce (he's currently married to wife No. 5, "Titanic" star Suzy Amis).

After the success of "The Terminator," Cameron helmed "True Lies" and "The Abyss," all the while developing a reputation as a visionary filmmaker with a legendary temper (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is rumoured to have burst into tears on the set of "The Abyss" after Cameron suggested extras urinate into their wetsuits to save time).

His domineering presence on the set of "Titanic" became the stuff of film legend. But after making the biggest box office success of all time, Cameron turned his attention to documentaries.

Over the last 10 years he's spent much of his time under water, directing "Expedition: Bismarck," "Ghosts of the Abyss" and "Aliens of the Deep."

The hiatus from mainstream filmmaking evolved naturally, he said.

"I got involved in 3-D, doing 3-D documentaries, natural history, deep ocean exploration stuff, and at that point I sort of decided I didn't want to go back to non-stereoscopic moviemaking, but then there was a lag time while the theatres didn't exist yet," said Cameron.

"I decided to work on a very large project that would take time to develop properly and design all the elements of the world, to give them time to get the theatres in place. Now the timing seems to be working out quite well. In the meantime, I was having fun doing ocean expeditions."

"Avatar," a futuristic thriller about humans battling a race on a distant planet, was written 14 years ago, Cameron says.

A three-month live-action shoot has already been completed in New Zealand and the director is now labouring over the other 60 per cent of the film, using cutting-edge techniques.

Cameron is clearly exhilarated by the challenge.

"It's this form of pure creation where ... if you want to move a tree or a mountain or the sky or change the time of day, you have complete control over the elements and the production design," he said.

As for the Walk of Fame ceremonies, where Cameron will be recognized in Toronto on Saturday alongside fellow Canucks including Michael J. Fox, k.d. lang and Bryan Adams, the man with a shelf full of Oscars says the accolade means a lot.

"It's not old hat because it's 'small-town boy makes good, gets to come back to his old neighbourhood.'

"It's not the same as getting an accolade anywhere else."

"I enjoy the fact that this is taking place in Canada. ... Getting some acknowledgment back home is always a sweet thing, and don't let anybody tell you different."

Oh snap. For anybody who knows what the production of Titanic was like, that is a very big comment to make.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Except for the 3D, it sounds like what Lucas attempted to do in the prequels. Film some live action stuff in front of greenscreens, and then plunk the actors in CGI sets, interacting with CGI characters. It didn't work out well for George, largely because the actors were unable to perform in those scenes -- it's hard to act when you can't see what's around you or whom/what you are interacting with.

I hope Cameron can do better, but I'm dubious.

ghibli99

Hopefully the acting can get back on track. Since T2, I've felt like acting in his films has taken a backseat to the effects (so much of what's in Titanic is cringe-worthy). Aliens, Abyss, T1... they had a perfect balance between spectacle, action, and characters you could care about and side with (and loathe).

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Whats this movie about? besides being on some distant planet, i heard of Avatar before but it some shitty kids cartoon, that isnt what this is bout right?

castle007

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Whats this movie about? besides being on some distant planet, i heard of Avatar before but it some shitty kids cartoon, that isnt what this is bout right?

no, the cartoon Avatar is being handled by M.Night Shayamalan

JimiNutz

Banned

I've heard it's kind of like Dances With Wolves, or The Last Samurai, but replace Native Americans/Samurais with Aliens.

ckohler

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but every time I hear him or anyone else rave about this film it's mostly about the virtual camera stuff he's invented to make it. To me, that doesn't really sell me on how good the actual film will be.

SteveMeister said:
Except for the 3D, it sounds like what Lucas attempted to do in the prequels. Film some live action stuff in front of greenscreens, and then plunk the actors in CGI sets, interacting with CGI characters. It didn't work out well for George, largely because the actors were unable to perform in those scenes -- it's hard to act when you can't see what's around you or whom/what you are interacting with.

I hope Cameron can do better, but I'm dubious.

No Green-screen. The volume. The system he's using allows him to the the CG characters in real-time whilst shooting. There's no guess-work.

ckohler said:
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but every time I hear him or anyone else rave about this film it's mostly about the virtual camera stuff he using to make it. To me, that doesn't really sell me on how good the actual film will be.

That's because news bits and updates are never going to be about the story which has been set in stone. At least not until the first reviews come out.

mr stroke

movie sounds amazing. I am curius on how it will hold up in normal old theaters though. Will it still be amazing with a new 3d theater(that most Americans dont have acsess to?)

castle007

Banned
NutJobJim said:
I've heard it's kind of like Dances With Wolves, or The Last Samurai, but replace Native Americans/Samurais with Aliens.

if it is like Dances with Wolves then DO NOT WANT. :lol :lol

I haven't seen the entire movie, but I have heard that is the most boring movie ever.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

castle007 said:

I haven't seen the entire movie, but I have heard that is the most boring movie ever.

Whoever you heard that of is a moron, its an awesome awesome movie.

castle007 said:

I remember he likened it to Lawrence of Arabia in space.

Snaku

Banned

Avatar the Last Airbender is about as shitty as Venture Bros. Which is to say it's the complete opposite of shitty.

I wouldn't say the cartoon is shitty so much as it's grossly overhyped and average. I watched the entire first season expecting something good due to all the praise it had gotten and all I got was shallow characterisation, shitty design work and some redeemingly decent animation.

JimiNutz

Banned
castle007 said:

Dances With Wolves was a great movie. When I said it's like Dances With Wolves though I meant the premise e.g. one group if fighting another group, somebody gets captured by the enemy, lives with them for a while, gains their respect and in turn learns to respect those that were once his enemy, changes sides, and ends up fighting those that he once called brothers.

It's worth mentioning that I haven't read the script or anything so I could be completely wrong but I've heard it's an epic movie with a similar premise to Dances With Wolves so I just assume that this is what it is about.

SUPREME1

Banned
HAHAHA!!! I suck!

All this time I thought he was dfoing a live action AVATAR:THE LAST AIR BENDER movie which was going to be the biggest movie ever.

I was always thinking that how could they make a cartoon into such a big spectacle?

HAHA, I suck.

I'm soooo glad this is not the case. Looking forward to this movie just went up +100

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Snaku said:
Avatar the Last Airbender is about as shitty as Venture Bros. Which is to say it's the complete opposite of shitty.

......... heh, from what i watched its kinda Dragon Ball with wind and some extra characters thrown in for kicks, token black kid etc. So yeh not impressed. Venture Bros on the other hand rules the fuckin world!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Zoramon089 said:

71jm1e.gif

ImperialConquest said:
Written =/= Published

???

I really don't know. Just throwing that out there.

Jesus christ.

OMG, 2008-14 = 1994

HEADS AXPLODE

Zoramon089 said:
True, very true...but I do wonder what Cameron will do to put a twist on this greatly overused theme

Greatly overused theme of humanity mining another planet and killing it's inhabitants as a result. Greatly overused theme of humans using the Alien-bodies as avatar-forms for themselves?

I think you just see Humans v Aliens and think that's the crux of the story. It's not like Ender's Game. Humanity has been mining the planet Pandora because Earth has become a cesspool and humanity needs resources that the planet has. It's about a paralysed war vet and a botanist dealing with the inhabitants of the planet whilst the military kill said inhabitants.

Snaku

Banned
......... heh, from what i watched its kinda Dragon Ball with wind and some extra characters thrown in for kicks, token black kid etc. So yeh not impressed. Venture Bros on the other hand rules the fuckin world!

What fucking black kid? :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Nope. Spider-Man 3 was something like $220mil or something I believe. Who the fuck knows where that budget went though.

Yeah but that's sort of inflated. You have actors getting paid 30 million$, and Sony was probably overpaying for the special effects in order to meet release date. So there's a whole lot of shit going wrong with the budget.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Scullibundo said:
No Green-screen. The volume. The system he's using allows him to the the CG characters in real-time whilst shooting. There's no guess-work.

But the other actors cannot see the virtual ones to interact with them. THEY will have to guess. Unless they're acting to the performance capture artists in real-time, or to placeholder actors in green suits. But even then a lot of the subtlety and nuance of actually interacting with another human (or otherwise living) being will be difficult for any actor to pull off.

SteveMeister said:
But the other actors cannot see the virtual ones to interact with them. THEY will have to guess. Unless they're acting to the performance capture artists in real-time, or to placeholder actors in green suits. But even then a lot of the subtlety and nuance of actually interacting with another human (or otherwise living) being will be difficult for any actor to pull off.

The difference between Lucas and Cameron though is that Cameron is a perfectionist of Kubrick standards. If something doesn't look right he will yell and scream until it does look right. Just ask Suzy Amis. :lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yes, that's what I'm hoping :)

There's just been too many instances of once-hot directors "losing their touch" recently so I am wary now.

Pein

Banned
well thats not what its about so you're wrong

Scullibundo said:
The difference between Lucas and Cameron though is that Cameron is a perfectionist of Kubrick standards. If something doesn't look right he will yell and scream until it does look right. Just ask Suzy Amis. :lol

Some thought that Lucas was brilliant until they saw the prequels. Now everyone just thinks he is a joke.

DoctorWho said:
Some thought that Lucas was brilliant until they saw the prequels. Now everyone just thinks he is a joke.

I don't think anybody thought he was a brilliant director. He was seen as a great storyteller. American Graffiti and THX are revered for their subject matter, not the direction. I can't believe anybody would compare Lucas to Cameron.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is any of this news? This is the same stuff he's been saying in interviews for two years now. We get it. He's got cool tech and it's bigger and badder than Titanic. The story doesn't change. Same points, different words, different media outlet.

Wake me up when he's got something to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom