• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pay it forward - XBOX360 HDD Transfer Cable

pr0cs

Shortly after Microsoft announced the ability to install games direct from disc to the 360 HDD I decided that it was time to buy a new drive. The 20gb model I had from my original launch unit was still going strong (even though I had gone through a number of replacement consoles) but there were a number of titles in my collection that I was sure I wanted to try again to see how much the disc->HDD transfer would improve their load times (Quake4, Dead Rising, TR:Legend).

I had no intention of buying the overpriced 120GB HDD model (which at the time was $200 Canadian) and while using the hacked drive signature key crossed my mind I was worried about being banned and getting a similar drive was still $99 and I would have to supply an extra case for it or crack open my original 20gb case.

I looked on Ebay and found I could get a direct 120 drive with case from Hong Kong for $99 + $15 shipping (CDN funds) which was a lot more attractive and reasonable considering all things equal only $15 more than if I would have just bought the drive from a computer shop here.

Well the drive arrived and worked well but there was one issue, no data migration cable:
migration2.jpg

I didn't really want to spend another 20-30$ for a transfer cable from ebay so I thought I would send a message on Craigslist and luckily another 360 owner *gave* me his cable and disc for free. Someone I had not met before, he just said "you can have it".

Well here is my change to pay it forward. I'm creating this thread and a list for people to add themselves if they need to 'borrow' the cable and disc. If you need to borrow it you add yourself by PM me..

If you have the kit you pay for shipping to the next guy and so on down the line.

I'd prefer to keep this to North America so that whoever has the cable can expect a certain price for shipping but we might be able to work something out for Europeans if there is a need.

For more information on the migration kit read here.
The list as it stands now is:
Code:
[s]1)  pr0cs[/s]
[s]2)  smidget           [/s] 
[s]3)  robut         [/s]      
[s]4)  open_mouth_  [/s]        
[s]5)  bearcatjosh [/s]            
[s]6)  spookyfish  [/s]
[s]7)  VanMardigan[/s]
[s]8)  deviant1  [/s]
[s]9)  Grecco          [/s]
[s]10) Stabby McSter[/s]
[s]11) jeremy1456[/s]
[s]12) DrWho[/s]  
[s]13) Scottlarock[/s]
[s]14) knitoe[/s]
[s]15) tralfazz[/s]  
[s]16) MercuryLS[/s]
[s]17) goMaki[/s]
[s]18) HallwayGiant[/s]  
[s]19) Median[/s]
[s]20) Aumann [/s] 
[s]21)  katana[/s]
[s]22) Frank Lemon[/s]
[s]23) The Crimson Kid[/s]
[s]24) Jonsoncao[/s]
[s]25) flanker22[/s]
[s]26) Omar Ismail[/s]
[s]27) Fireye[/s]
[s]28) kurahadol[/s]
[s]29) SuperJ[/s]
[s]30) squatingyeti[/s]
31) ChrisGoldstein

NOVEMBER 28th, 2008 UPDATE:

a number of people, myself included, have noticed that our drives from Hong Kong do NOT support backwards compatibility. While the drive works flawlessly with the 360 there is no way to use the drive to play older BC games. Please keep that in mind when buying a used drive.

pr0cs

mr_bishiuk said:
Isn't it free if you call MS?
Only if you are upgrading consoles from arcade/pro -> elite.
You need to supply your consoles ID # to qualify for the kit.

Smidget

I pmed to be on the list. I will send via my work's FedEx acct next day air when I receive it! BTW Anyone wanted to upgrade, there's a 20% off all used accessories coupon at Gamestop/EB and I picked up a used 120GB for $80 + tax!

EBC3006475.jpg

I pmed.

Questions to anyone who has used it: have you lost anything during the transfer? I think I read that you have to be online to play all your arcade games after transfer as well. Does it transfer your profiles or will you have to recover them?

pr0cs

robut said:
I pmed.

Questions to anyone who has used it: have you lost anything during the transfer? I think I read that you have to be online to play all your arcade games after transfer as well. Does it transfer your profiles or will you have to recover them?

It transferred everything for me, including all my profiles. I didn't notice anything missing and I had a variety of stuff, demos, xbla games, purchased game content, 4 profiles, etc.

Took around 53 minutes, I had bout 5 gb free on my original 20gb drive (I cleaned off a good portion of my demos).

It also restored some old shit that I deleted eons ago, game trials a demos mostly. Not a big deal but really surprising because I deleted them a good year+ ago.

You need the disc as it has the actual transfer software on it. It's painless, plug the drives in, put the disc in and go make a sandwich while it cranks away.

TheExodu5

Banned
robut said:
I pmed.

Microsoft now allows you to transfer licenses. Not sure how, since I don't own a 360 yet, but I know it's reality.

pr0cs

Brashnir said:
cool idea. once you use the cable, it's pretty much worthless anyway.
Well you could resell it, they are going for $20-30 on ebay but why do that when you can help your fellow gamer out (there are enough asshats in the world).

Brashnir

pr0cs said:
Well you could resell it, they are going for $20-30 on ebay but why do that when you can help your fellow gamer out (there are enough asshats in the world).
yeah, that's what I meant. I gave mine to a friend, who gave it to someone else. Who knows where the thing is now.

I got a 120 GB HD for 60 giving the dude my 20 gb drive, in order to get my hands on the cable, I just bought a 120 GB from Best Buy, used the cable, and returned it the next day. No hassles at all on the return. Something people might want to consider.

clashfan

Smidget said:
I pmed to be on the list. I will send via my work's FedEx acct next day air when I receive it! BTW Anyone wanted to upgrade, there's a 20% off all used accessories coupon at Gamestop/EB and I picked up a used 120GB for $80 + tax!

Wait a second, the 120 HD is now $100?

Smidget

bishopcruz said:
I got a 120 GB HD for 60 giving the dude my 20 gb drive, in order to get my hands on the cable, I just bought a 120 GB from Best Buy, used the cable, and returned it the next day. No hassles at all on the return. Something people might want to consider.

I might give that a shot tonight..... if pr0cus doesn't send it out today. What'd you say to return it?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Word of advise for when you are using said transfer kit, delete anything that don't really need from the old hard drive before you transfer the data, as the process can take quite a while. For reference, 6gb worth of saves, demos, videos etc. took me 53 minutes to transfer from my old 20gb drive to a 120gb one.

Afterwards you will still need to remove anything that was preloaded on the new hard drive (Cars and VP interactive video-demo woo!), even if you deleted it before starting the transfer process (so don't bother with that :lol ).

The licence transfer part on the website which you do once everything is moved only takes a few seconds though. But once done you will still need to re-download everything that was locked to the old hard drive (XBLA stuff, paid-dlc, media support etc.). But each of those only takes a second or so per item (like converting a XBLA trial to a full game) as the content itself is already on your hard drive.

The only thing the transfer kit doesn't move over are title updates.

All in all it was a quite painless and streamlined experience for me and everything has worked like it should since then.

Smidget

Tunesmith said:
But once done you will still need to re-download everything that was locked to the old hard drive (XBLA stuff, paid-dlc, media support etc.).

So with all my Rock Band tracks I'll have to fake re d/l them all?

Thank you for all the info!

clav

If you don't have a hard drive migration cable, that's OK.

Open up the hard drive (yes this will void your hard drive warranty) and take it out of the original enclosure. You can use a 2.5" SATA enclosure to connect it to the Xbox 360.

I upgraded my Xbox 360's 20 GB hard drive manually. 120GB drive costed me $60. (If you're thinking about doing this, you need to buy a specific drive, not just any drive.)

Here's how it went in pics:

domp6t.jpg

2usbe6r.jpg

2090ris.jpg

3504bxj.jpg

2s7gcc8.jpg

11llrab.jpg

1zlg3r8.jpg

106is9e.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Smidget said:
So with all my Rock Band tracks I'll have to fake re d/l them all?

Thank you for all the info!
Yes, but I have experienced that in some cases games don't catch on right away and lets you use your contenton until a save point or some such. Ninja Gaiden 2 for instance let me use my old fiend costume pack until a mid level save two chapters in at which point it stated the content was corrupt and booted me to the dash. had to re-download it after that.

pr0cs

firehawk12 said:
So those eBay HDDs are legit?
Now that they've dropped to 160 in Canada, I was planning on going that route...
I dono if they're legit, the model I bought from HK seems legit enough, it has the Microsoft hologram sticker and whatnot. THe drive was formatted with a chinese name but that was easy enough to fix.
I'm not sure what the story behind them are, perhaps drives from DOA Elites or similar. It works fine and I saved close to $100 at the time so it was a good deal.

pr0cs

Gowans007 said:
Nice idea, I have a spare to pass around the UK guys I guess, its just sat here in a drawer.
I haven't had any inquiries from UK/European 360 owners but if anyone "across the sea" is interesting in borrowing the cable/disc we can create a Euro version of the list.

Send me a PM if you're in Euroland, need to borrow the cable/disc and are willing to pay for shipping to the next person on the list.

Blueblur1

pr0cs said:
I dono if they're legit, the model I bought from HK seems legit enough, it has the Microsoft hologram sticker and whatnot. THe drive was formatted with a chinese name but that was easy enough to fix.
I'm not sure what the story behind them are, perhaps drives from DOA Elites or similar. It works fine and I saved close to $100 at the time so it was a good deal.
I bought a cheap 512MB memory card off of eBay and it had a Korean name. I just changed it to English. ;)

pr0cs said:
So the HK drives are black, then? Do you know if they have any in the grey color?

pr0cs

rohlfinator said:
So the HK drives are black, then? Do you know if they have any in the grey color?
I only bought one but the case is identical to those that come with the Elite.
If the case color is important then your best option is to recycle a 20gb model case or shop at some of the online stores that sell different color versions of the HDD cases.

claviertekky said:
If you don't have a hard drive migration cable, that's OK.

Open up the hard drive (yes this will void your hard drive warranty) and take it out of the original enclosure. You can use a 2.5" SATA enclosure to connect it to the Xbox 360.

I upgraded my Xbox 360's 20 GB hard drive manually. 120GB drive costed me $60. (If you're thinking about doing this, you need to buy a specific drive, not just any drive.)

Here's how it went in pics:
Those pics are way to damn big, but that's awesome.

pr0cs

rohlfinator said:
Ah, that's not too bad. I might have to get one of those... that price is pretty tempting.
Thanks!
The flash on the camera makes it look darker than it does under natural light.
With my HT stand you really don't notice any difference. YMMV.

Roland

Couldn't you just buy one of those cables from Wal-Mart, transfer and then return the thing? Since the cable isn't software, they shouldn't mind taking it back.

tirant

pr0cs said:

Look closely at the silver stickers and compare them to the original HD...

Mine was not legit.

pr0cs

tirant said:
Look closely at the silver stickers and compare them to the original HD...

Mine was not legit.
I just took a look and compared them to my original 20gb. The small hologram one is slightly different but wording on the actual installation sticker is slightly different too (like the 120gb one came from a different country). It wasn't labeled differently just had different logos on it like it was from the UK, etc.

It may be a knockoff, ebay does have a lot of counterfeit stuff on it. It functions fine so worst case is it is the same as buying your own drive and using your own case for it (which in my case was almost the same price as this HK unit).

pr0cs said:
I just took a look and compared them to my original 20gb. The small hologram one is slightly different but wording on the actual installation sticker is slightly different too (like the 120gb one came from a different country). It wasn't labeled differently just had different logos on it like it was from the UK, etc.

It may be a knockoff, ebay does have a lot of counterfeit stuff on it. It functions fine so worst case is it is the same as buying your own drive and using your own case for it (which in my case was almost the same price as this HK unit).
i think some people are worried that if it's a knockoff, then it's a clone, which means they could theoretically suffer the wrath of microsoft.

pr0cs

The Faceless Master said:
i think some people are worried that if it's a knockoff, then it's a clone, which means they could theoretically suffer the wrath of microsoft.
Which would be the same as if you used your own drive, except that you can send the drive to them and produce receipts that it was purchased from ebay.
Not saying that Microsoft is going to give a shit either way but if it was advertised as a legit 120gb official drive I really can't see Microsoft banning you for it.

Smidget

Yep still waiting for it, but thanks pr0cs! Will send out next business day after I get it overnight to next in line :)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
pr0cs said:
sending you PM to see if we can work something out

pr0cs, i sent him a PM asking if he could include his kit in the loop. Maybe start with with me or Robut so both can satisfy the demand even quicker.

Top Bottom