• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pay it forward - XBOX360 HDD Transfer Cable

pr0cs

open_mouth_ said:
pr0cs, i sent him a PM asking if he could include his kit in the loop. Maybe start with with me or Robut so both can satisfy the demand even quicker.
Yeah I did already, perhaps we can work something out that the last person on the list ships it back to him to complete the loop, he still has to pay for shipping so it's up to him if he wants to play along.

pr0cs

UltimaPooh is going to try and participate, that means we have 2 cable/discs for use to make sure everyone gets covered faster.

Once he's gotten in touch with Robut he'll start that down the list and we'll keep track of who has it and who gets it next.

It will take the longest to get from me to Smidget (with luck it will be there late next week) because he's in Florida and I'm in the great white north (where we have to use sled dogs to get our mail delivered) j/k (though it does feel like it sometimes).

Will keep everyone posted.

pr0cs

I'll repost this info here, the transfer kit will also work with the 60gb drives as well:

B-Rad Lascelle said:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937279?sd=xbox

Transfer content from your existing Xbox 360 Hard Drive

You have the option to perform a one-time transfer of all content from your existing Xbox 360 Hard Drive (source drive) to another Xbox 360 Hard Drive (destination drive). Whether you decide to do this or not, understand that both drives are fully compatible with your Xbox 360 console and will be after the transfer is completed.

Important Content can only ever be moved from a smaller source drive to a destination drive that is the same size or larger and only one time. For example, the following hard drive pairings allow transfer from source to (">") destination:
20GB > 20GB
20GB > 60GB
20GB > 120GB
60GB > 60GB
60GB > 120GB
120GB > 120GB

Note If you intend to move content from an existing hard drive, such as your 20GB hard drive, to a new destination hard drive, such as to a 60GB hard drive, do not use the destination hard drive before you perform this procedure or you will lose whatever content that you have previously put on that destination drive.

as taken from this thread.

my 20gb xbox died the other week, and it gave me a good excuse to get a 60gb. i wanna give my brother my 20gb whenever it comes back, but i sorta want all my shit. D:

Smidget

Just a FYI. I have not received the first transfer cable. Just wanted to update everyone who might be waiting, I don't want to look like I gone done and stoled it or anything :)

pr0cs said:
Which would be the same as if you used your own drive, except that you can send the drive to them and produce receipts that it was purchased from ebay.
Not saying that Microsoft is going to give a shit either way but if it was advertised as a legit 120gb official drive I really can't see Microsoft banning you for it.
if they ever decided to ban a specific HDDSS.BIN, why they care if it was a DIY job or a shady HK dealer on ebay? why would they care if someone had a receipt for their bootleg drive? why would they care if it were advertised as real? i mean, how much fake shit is sold on ebay, especially where storage is concerned, like memory sticks.

pr0cs

With luck my cable should arrive to Smidget this week (famous last words). UltimaPooh should have sent his cable to robut (I haven't heard from either of them if the cable was sent out).

BigDug13

Is that Datel HDD USB kit that goes between the HDD and the Xbox and allows you to access the HDD contents from your computer still usable? Or did MS patch the Xbox to disallow it? I'm considering that Datel pack as a purchase.

clav

BigDug13 said:
Is that Datel HDD USB kit that goes between the HDD and the Xbox and allows you to access the HDD contents from your computer still usable? Or did MS patch the Xbox to disallow it? I'm considering that Datel pack as a purchase.
I'm willing to bet that the USB cable to the Computer works.

If the Datel software doesn't work, Xbox-Scene has a few free tools like Xplorer 360.

BigDug13 said:

I just used it to transfer my content to my new 120 gig drive. There's some things you should know before you do it though.

1) DO NOT RESTORE AN IMAGE TO YOUR NEW DRIVE. You will brick your HDD if you do this. I learned that the hard way.
2) Only copy stuff from Partition 3 to your computer and then copy that back to the new HDD. Particularly you're interested in the Content folder which is where your save data, demos, and XBLA games are
3) Use XP as all the apps I've tried just don't work right in Vista. You cannot drag and drop back on to the new hard drive in Vista for some reason. It was a pain in the ass to get the stuff back on. You can do it in Vista, but you need a specific version of the software that was hacked to allow you to do it. And even then you have limited ability of what you can do since drag and drop doesn't work and the insert doesn't work very well.

Smidget

Just received the transfer kit this afternoon, I guess I'm sending it to open_mouth_ I'm PMing him right now as it's transferring, will mail out tomorrow, thanks pr0cs again!

pr0cs

Smidget said:
Just received the transfer kit this afternoon, I guess I'm sending it to open_mouth_ I'm PMing him right now as it's transferring, will mail out tomorrow, thanks pr0cs again!
great news!

Thanks for keeping things going.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Smidget said:

hot dang! just pm'd you the address you sexy beast :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Here's a bit of an odd request. Could anyone make an ISO out of the data recovery disk and host it somewhere (like a torrent or something)?

My friend lent me his but the disk is royally scratched to shit and won't read. Would an ISO even be readable on the 360? Anyways I have the cable and I don't want to order the whole kit just for the damn disk.

pr0cs

Sinatar said:
Here's a bit of an odd request. Could anyone make an ISO out of the data recovery disk and host it somewhere (like a torrent or something)?

My friend lent me his but the disk is royally scratched to shit and won't read. Would an ISO even be readable on the 360? Anyways I have the cable and I don't want to order the whole kit just for the damn disk.

Welp you could send Smidget or robut a message and ask him to rip the disc and see if you can burn it.
I would be surprised if it worked though as the disc seemed to execute like it was a game.. ie: it probably has protection on it.
worth a try though I guess, only costs bandwidth and a blank disc.

Well, MS will send you a free kit if you have serial numbers of 2 consoles (1 pro or arcade/1 elite).

Otherwise, I now have a spare one if anyone wants it. PM me.

pr0cs

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Well, MS will send you a free kit if you have serial numbers of 2 consoles (1 pro or arcade/1 elite).

Otherwise, I now have a spare one if anyone wants it. PM me.
If you're not strapped for cash you could PM the next person on the list (bearcatjosh) and get his address and ship it to him.

If you do lemme know so I can keep the list up to date.

pr0cs said:
If you're not strapped for cash you could PM the next person on the list (bearcatjosh) and get his address and ship it to him.

If you do lemme know so I can keep the list up to date.

I've PMd him, so I'm just waiting now.

Hello everyone. I ended up not needing one .

I thought I was going to be able to find the harddrive used at Gamestop, but the clerk was just confused and only had a 20 gig one. :(

I just forgot that I signed up for the cable in this thread.

Oh well. Thanks for everyone being so nice in this thread! Always cool to see GAF coming together to do something nice.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey guys, so how does this work?
Just got an Elite, don't know what to do, is the cable still floating around?

pr0cs

John Harker said:
Hey guys, so how does this work?
Just got an Elite, don't know what to do, is the cable still floating around?
the list is still going but the names are falling off nicely.
If you bought an elite to 'upgrade' from a previous system you qualify for your own transfer cable and disc from microsoft (you should find the link in the first post).
If you didn't want to wait for MS to send your own you could get on this list and borrow one of the cables we have going in this thread.
send me PM if you want to borrow one.

azz0r

Banned
Heres the thing. I have a 20GB hard drive I want to transfer saves to my 60GB hard drive.

Does the cable and disk work for the 60GB hard drive?

pr0cs

azz0r said:
Heres the thing. I have a 20GB hard drive I want to transfer saves to my 60GB hard drive.

Does the cable and disk work for the 60GB hard drive?
yes, post #55

I couldn't see my friend today so mine will have to wait at least one more day. I'll try tommorow but it might not be till Thursday or Friday until I can send mine out.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I got my cable from Robust a few days ago. I'll be able to send it to the next guy on the list on wednesday. pr0cs, who am I supposed to send it to next again? thx

pr0cs

open_mouth_ said:
I got my cable from Robust a few days ago. I'll be able to send it to the next guy on the list on wednesday. pr0cs, who am I supposed to send it to next again? thx

send deviant1 a PM and get his addy.

thanks.

DoctorWho said:
Are there any trusted sources on ebay selling 120 gig HDDs?
I bought one from the seemingly endless parade of hong kong sellers, it arrived fine, I didn't have to pay an extra tax (they marked it as a gift).
Looks like with shipping they're around $100.

Doodis

I've got an extra unopened kit. MS shipped it to the wrong address and then shipped out a second one. Then the first one arrived a few weeks later. Is there an ongoing list of who needs one?

pr0cs

Doodis said:
I've got an extra unopened kit. MS shipped it to the wrong address and then shipped out a second one. Then the first one arrived a few weeks later. Is there an ongoing list of who needs one?
If you're okay with shipping the item out on your own nickel send Grecco (as listed in the OP) a PM and get his shipping address.

Thanks for helping out!

(lemme know if you do ship it out so I can update the OP accordingly..)

robut said:
I couldn't see my friend today so mine will have to wait at least one more day. I'll try tommorow but it might not be till Thursday or Friday until I can send mine out.

So I am assuming my cable go to you?

Doodis

pr0cs said:
If you're okay with shipping the item out on your own nickel send Grecco (as listed in the OP) a PM and get his shipping address.

Thanks for helping out!

(lemme know if you do ship it out so I can update the OP accordingly..)
PM has been sent. Thanks.

just seen this thread. I bought my friends unused 60GB HDD last week and I called MS asking for a transfer cable. lady i spoke to was really nice and first of all said I need an elite console. I said thats no fair and remained calm, she then took my address and I got an email saying it is on its way.

I live in London, UK so after I have used it I can pass it on.

pr0cs

azz0r said:
Can I add myself to the list?

My ebay username (just so you can trust me is: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/azz0r

My website is: http://forums.wuggawoo.co.uk

I bought a 60GB from Sainsburys in the UK :)
maybe PM kobashi100 (post above yours), he's in the UK and said he'd be willing to help out, that way you won't have to wait eons to get it from the USA (and save some yank from the extra cost of sending it over the pond).

Lemme know if Kobashi100 does send it to you, i'll create a second list for our UK brethren.

azz0r

Banned
I rang up Xbox Support today and asked, the man didn't even question me about it not being an elite and took my address details and told me I'd recieve my cable within 10 days :)

I'll support the program in the UK.

Also worthy of note, he sounded like he was from Transylvania lol

pr0cs

azz0r said:
I rang up Xbox Support today and asked, the man didn't even question me about it not being an elite and took my address details and told me I'd recieve my cable within 10 days :)

I'll support the program in the UK.

Also worthy of note, he sounded like he was from Transylvania lol
excellent.
worth to note I guess, perhaps the need to own 2 consoles isn't all that strict.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
claviertekky said:
If you don't have a hard drive migration cable, that's OK.

Open up the hard drive (yes this will void your hard drive warranty) and take it out of the original enclosure. You can use a 2.5" SATA enclosure to connect it to the Xbox 360.

I upgraded my Xbox 360's 20 GB hard drive manually. 120GB drive costed me $60. (If you're thinking about doing this, you need to buy a specific drive, not just any drive.)

Here's how it went in pics:
*Snip*

Bless You! You have a list of compatible drives?

I ordered a new 120gb hdd and just got tracking confirmation that it arived at my house today. it comes with the cable, right? if so, after i transfer my data over tonight, I'll have a cable to send out.

bishopcruz said:
I got a 120 GB HD for 60 giving the dude my 20 gb drive, in order to get my hands on the cable, I just bought a 120 GB from Best Buy, used the cable, and returned it the next day. No hassles at all on the return. Something people might want to consider.

:S, how is this not fraud of some sort?

chidrock

Do you guys think that this would work:

I had a 20 GB HDD originally and then bought a 120 GB HDD. I used a transfer cable to move the stuff off of the 20 GB HDD to the 120 GB. I then bought an Elite. So far I've been using the original 120 GB HDD that I got with the Elite, but the case doesn't match. I was going to unscrew the top and switch the grey and black HDD shells, but if I can move the stuff using the HDD Trasfer cable, that would be better. (the post above made it look as though you can move from one 120 GB HDD to another 120 GB HDD - I thought that you couldn't do that before)

I only ask because I'd like to sell or trade off my extra 120 GB HDD, but I want to keep the one that matches the Elite 360. When they say you can only move the stuff once, it's obvious that you can only take the stuff off the same HDD once, but could you actually move that stuff to another HDD afterwards?

pr0cs

chidrock said:
Do you guys think that this would work:

I had a 20 GB HDD originally and then bought a 120 GB HDD. I used a transfer cable to move the stuff off of the 20 GB HDD to the 120 GB. I then bought an Elite. So far I've been using the original 120 GB HDD that I got with the Elite, but the case doesn't match. I was going to unscrew the top and switch the grey and black HDD shells, but if I can move the stuff using the HDD Trasfer cable, that would be better. (the post above made it look as though you can move from one 120 GB HDD to another 120 GB HDD - I thought that you couldn't do that before)

I only ask because I'd like to sell or trade off my extra 120 GB HDD, but I want to keep the one that matches the Elite 360. When they say you can only move the stuff once, it's obvious that you can only take the stuff off the same HDD once, but could you actually move that stuff to another HDD afterwards?
post #55 suggests that it should work.
Though I'd be tempted to just move the guts from one drive case to another, there really isn't that much in those cases so moving the guts over should be relatively easy.

chidrock

pr0cs said:
post #55 suggests that it should work.
Though I'd be tempted to just move the guts from one drive case to another, there really isn't that much in those cases so moving the guts over should be relatively easy.

Yeah, I just figured it'd be easier to sell the extra one if I don't open them up. (might scare some off if it was opened)

The thing that was weird was how they say it could only be moved once - that could be taken 2 different ways. I'll probably just do it and hope for the best considering it's on the official Xbox support page. When they first came up, the customer support people had no idea what the answer was. (I'll make sure I copy my saves onto a memory card first)

Thanks!

pr0cs

chidrock said:
Yeah, I just figured it'd be easier to sell the extra one if I don't open them up. (might scare some off if it was opened)

The thing that was weird was how they say it could only be moved once - that could be taken 2 different ways. I'll probably just do it and hope for the best considering it's on the official Xbox support page. When they first came up, the customer support people had no idea what the answer was. (I'll make sure I copy my saves onto a memory card first)

Thanks!
If you do try the transfer let is know if it worked and how it went.
I don't see why you couldn't do it multiple times, they probably word it that way to enforce that you can't have the content in multiple places.

Cheers.

Top Bottom