• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE STORY FOR WIIWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chowfahn said:
Calm down, guys. The sound in general in the video is horrible. The noise when Quote jumps in and out of the water is terrible, and there's no victory music when you find the Polar Star. It's still very much under construction.

Yes!

Which also means no Monday release.

No!

Sciz

Bleh, that's pretty much exactly the same sound as the standard General MIDI bank. +1 for hoping it's temporary.

Death_Born said:
Instead of the shittily remixed chiptunes, why didn't they just replace them with this instead? It would make more sense, and hey, they did it with Street Fighter :lol They could just get a bunch of people to re-remix the tracks.

That remix is pretty nice. Are there any others?

But still on n a visual and sound level, I think Cave Story is pretty much perfect and shouldn't be messed with.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
eh, i don't know if i'm interested in somebody else's tinkering with cave story -- part of its magic is that it's a one-man game. but hell, they should port the knytt games to wiiware

dark steve said:
Google "Cave Story Remix Project" to find out why he's completely wrong.

I agree that the sound in the actual game should be the original chiptunes - don't see why they can't just use recordings rather than a different MIDI bank. I just think that if they were planning to mess with the game, they might as well orchestrate the tracks rather than trying to make the MIDI sound better. Purely hypothetical, and not something that should be done in my opinion. I'm definitely not suggesting that the songs from the remix project replace the originals, if that's what you're thinking.

Davidion

Great game...but it also has the most ridiculously difficult level of gaming that I've ever played. If there's anything close to a literal gaming nightmare (outside of those crack kaizo mario stages), this is it.

Press release, but it's currently only posted on a banned site:

FACT SHEET

PLATFORMS: Wii™ via WiiWare™
RELEASE DATE: Early 2009
PUBLISHER: N/A
DEVELOPER: Nicalis
ESRB RATING: Expected - Everyone
GENRE: Action-Adventure

GAME OVERVIEW:
Arguably the most well-known indie game of all time, Cave Story features an completely original storyline perfect for the Wii audience.

Cave Story is an action-adventure game from the critically acclaimed
independent designer, Daisuke Amaya--or Pixel to his fans.

Overflowing with unmatched charm and character, Cave Story takes players into a world where a race of rabbit-like creatures, called Mimigas, run free on a serene floating island.

The once-carefree world is in danger of disaster at the hands of a maniacal
doctor. The Mimigas' only hope is in the hands of a quiet, amnesiac soldier
named Quote. Players take control of Quote and learn the origins of the
floating island's power.

GAME FEATURES:
o Offers standard definition and Wii-exclusive progressive (480p)
graphics
o 4:3 and 16:9 resolution support
o New character designs by creator/designer, Daisuke Amaya
o 10 unique weapons to find and upgrade
o Over 20 boss battles through Mimiga Island
o 15 levels to explore in the vast world
o Classic Controller support
o Three unique endings

Davidion said:
Great game...but it also has the most ridiculously difficult level of gaming that I've ever played. If there's anything close to a literal gaming nightmare (outside of those crack kaizo mario stages), this is it.

The only impossible part is
the hard mode ending and Hell
, everything else is pretty well-balanced. It's a lot like Mega Man actually.

Sciz

PR said:
The once-carefree world is in danger of disaster at the hands of a maniacal
doctor. The Mimigas' only hope is in the hands of a quiet, amnesiac
soldier
named
. Players take control of
and learn the origins of the
floating island's
power.
Hey PR guys, including spoilers in the PR is generally a bad idea.

PR said:
GAME FEATURES:
o Offers standard definition and Wii-exclusive progressive (480p)
graphics
o 4:3 and 16:9 resolution support
o New character designs by creator/designer, Daisuke Amaya
o 10 unique weapons to find and upgrade
o Over 20 boss battles through Mimiga Island
o 15 levels to explore in the vast world
o Classic Controller support
o Three unique endings
Huh. By my count, no new weapons, bosses, or endings.

I'm curious what is actually new to the Wiiware version. I'm also glad to see that there is CC support so I can play with SNES controller.

Davidion

Death_Born said:
The only impossible part is
the hard mode ending and Hell
, everything else is pretty well-balanced. It's a lot like Mega Man actually.

Yeah well, the latter is exactly what I'm talking about. The rest of the game is fine.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Sciz said:
Huh. By my count, no new weapons, bosses, or endings.
Weren't there only 20 bosses, though? Not counting minibosses that don't have health bars.

And, yeah, they probably shouldn't include the main character's name in the PR. In fact, we should stop saying it in this thread as well. Hopefully they took down the PR because of that.

Syril

Chowfahn said:
Weren't there only 20 bosses, though? Not counting minibosses that don't have health bars.

And, yeah, they probably shouldn't include the main character's name in the PR. In fact, we should stop saying it in this thread as well. Hopefully they took down the PR because of that.

How is his name a spoiler? You have to do something special for it to be mentioned in the game?

RagnarokX

Syril said:
How is his name a spoiler? You have to do something special for it to be mentioned in the game?
Well, he does start the game with amnesia, but I don't see how his name alone is a spoiler. It doesn't reveal anything about who he is and his past.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn.. that PR is spoilerish.
Is it known from the start that you're actually on a huge floating island? I remember being surprised when I got to the Outer Wall and realized all this time I'd been playing on a giant floating island and not some cave system or w/e. Also I would have preferred if they had left Quote's name unknown

Sciz

Chowfahn said:
Twenty individual boss battles, yes. I'm thinking the "over" comes from the fact that a few of them have multiple forms and thus are technically different bosses.

Syril said:
Yes.

RagnarokX said:
Well, he does start the game with amnesia, but I don't see how his name alone is a spoiler. It doesn't reveal anything about who he is and his past.
It's the principle of the thing. The entire game is centered around the concept of discovery. The player is never supposed to know anything the main character doesn't. And moreover, the name is something you don't discover until late in the game as one of the rewards for being on the hard ending path.

Fireblend said:
Is it known from the start that you're actually on a huge floating island? I remember being surprised when I got to the Outer Wall and realized all this time I'd been playing on a giant floating island and not some cave system or w/e.
Misery brings it up when you beat the Core, and it may be mentioned earlier than that. Again, one of those things that you aren't supposed to know beforehand.

RagnarokX said:

At least it doesn't mention
that he's a robot.
But it does mention some spoiler things:
A) he's a soldier, B) the island is floating.
Also, it makes it sound as if
the floating island is serene, but it wasn't even before the Doctor came.
And nobody even mentions your name either.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, seriously that should be spoilered. I don't want the game to lose part of its charm for people new to the game :( it's subtle reveals like that what makes the plot so beautiful.

SuomiDude

Ninja Kn1ght said:
If you're posting here you could be playing this right now for free.

Depending on how much is added, I might buy it.
I could play it for free, and I've been supposed to do that, but... I'm not really into PC-gaming, and even if it's free, I just can't find the motivation to download it and play it infront of the PC monitor. There's just something better playing games on a big screen on consoles.

J2d

SuomiDude said:
I could play it for free, and I've been supposed to do that, but... I'm not really into PC-gaming, and even if it's free, I just can't find the motivation to download it and play it infront of the PC monitor. There's just something better playing games on a big screen on consoles.
42 inch and saturn pad here, works like a charm. For someone who can barely get mame to run this process was easy as hell.

Ranger X

{Mike} said:
Wii - pay for freebies

Not really. There's a market and people willing to pay. That's all. For me it's a great deal because:

-I want to game on my TV and not my PC.
-General convenience of having it in my living room with all the rest
-I want to encourage such products and especially people daring to make those games even today
-I've given donations to some indy devs when their game was worth it. Like the Knytt guy as an example.

So yeah, i'm definetely paying for Cave Story.

{Mike} said:
Wii - pay for freebies
Seriously? Did people bitch this hard over N+ or fl0w?

No? Because they made improvements and you got to reward the creators? Or because it didn't fit the system wars bullshit agenda?

CTLance

Guys, it's Mike. Stop falling for his bait. Just leave him alone and he'll slither back to wherever he came from.

Soule

Just played and beat it for the first time today, charming game but I'm not so sure I'll buy for Wii... although I do want to support the dev

bdouble

ShockingAlberto said:
Seriously? Did people bitch this hard over N+ or fl0w?

No? Because they made improvements and you got to reward the creators? Or because it didn't fit the system wars bullshit agenda?

No they didn't but the keyword in his post was: Wii. You obviously missed the point that just because its on the Wii people get to bitch about it for not reason. Next person will bitch that they have to swing their arms around like a mad man just to play this game.

I can't remember how many buttons cave story needed, will we be able to play with only the wiimote sideways?

also, an arranged soundtrack is a must

samratty

..pakbeka.. said:
I can't remember how many buttons cave story needed, will we be able to play with only the wiimote sideways?
You could cram it on to a Wiimote

Dpad = Move
1 = Jump
2 = Fire
A = Prev weapon
B = Next weapon
+ = Item screen
- = Map screen

Would be a little awkward, but not too awkward

Cave Story, fuck yeah!
Stormbringer said:
http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/cave-story-is-coming-to-wiiware/

Looks like the game is being ported over by Nicalis, which is the studio the creator of the Knytt series works at... Sounds good.
Holy shit! That's fucking amazing. Knytt Wiiware would be godly.

Fireblend said:
The story about the care package is rather touching.

I really hope Pixel is in no way being screwed over during the process of this. I want him to make as much profit as possible.

samratty said:
You could cram it on to a Wiimote

Dpad = Move
1 = Jump
2 = Fire
A = Prev weapon
B = Next weapon
+ = Item screen
- = Map screen

Would be a little awkward, but not too awkward

I think the fire and jump buttons, as well as prev/next weapons, should be switched. Otherwise, that control method is solid.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, I didn't know Cave Story was so respected around these parts. So I guess it's worth a download, then?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just heard the main theme on youtube, man that is catchy as hell.

edit: goddamnit i can't stop DANCIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom