• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE STORY FOR WIIWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

I can't believe I'm going to spend $10 to play a game I've already played to death for free.

I'm going to enjoy every minute of it :D

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Is there any word on what kind of extra content is going to be included in the WiiWare version?

I'm hoping for a boss rush mode, myself.

Sciz

Blog updated: Art Comparison

Since last week I’ve received a few questions in-person and via e-mail about the upscaled Wii-exclusive artwork. It’s been a mixed reaction of “great,” “good,” and “meh” from editors and fans alike. As some fans may or may not know we are implementing a switch for both the graphics and audio.

However, we want to show you a side-by-side comparison of what the original artwork looks like in contrast to the new pixel work done by Pixel. I probably don’t have to say much, but the image above has the idle frame for Toroko from both the original Cave Story (left) and the upcoming WiiWare version (right). The image has been enlarged 800-percent but the pixel-ratio is still exactly what you’ll see on-screen. So which do you like better?

They appear to be doubling the resolution.

j5k0o5.png

Wow, fantastic.

But this is going to make seeing
Frenzied Toroko
so much more sad. :(

neoism

I just stared this game 3 days ago from this news and its got sooo much charm is not even funny! Shame I suck playing it with a keyboard. I'm at the 3rd area so far and graphics aside(which are great) I just wish they would make them in post 96 snes graphics like : trigger, VI or something or that nature. I'm getting a game pad tomorrow for this game. It sucks it coming for Wiiware(mainly because I have to buy 30-40 dollars worth of stuff to get it) This game is screaming for a DS port or GBA rather. It's still an insta-purcahase. Best retro game I've played in 15 years and I'm not but 3-4 hours in!

Since last week I’ve received a few questions in-person and via e-mail about the upscaled Wii-exclusive artwork. It’s been a mixed reaction of “great,” “good,” and “meh” from editors and fans alike. As some fans may or may not know we are implementing a switch for both the graphics and audio.
Sounds like everyone wins. These guys are on the ball. I can't wait to fork my hard earned cash over.

:D

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I seriously can't wait to buy this game! I've already played the shit out of it, but damn am I going to do the same once it's out.

lyre

Just wanna chime in and say just beat the game in about a day and half on the PSP (even on the crummy Dpad) and loved just about everything about it, especially the final boss.

Can't wait to play this again when it comes out on Wiiware.

My only gripe is that most of the nonboss parts are a tad easy, but
flying around with level 3 Machine gun
made up for it. That and
the game killing off just about every main character in the game
. Doing that to one character is one thing, but not half the entire cast.

lyre said:
Just wanna chime in and say just beat the game in about a day and half on the PSP (even on the crummy Dpad) and loved just about everything about it, especially the final boss.

Can't wait to play this again when it comes out on Wiiware.

My only gripe is that most of the nonboss parts are a tad easy, but
flying around with level 3 Machine gun
made up for it. That and
the game killing off just about every main character in the game
. Doing that to one character is one thing, but not half the entire cast.
Did you get the bad ending, the good ending, or the true ending?

PS: You shouldn't have
traded for that machine gun, even if the temptation to fly is great. The Polar Star can be traded later for the best gun in the game.

Also, did you meet
Professor Booster when he fell and gave you the Booster 0.8? Because you just killed off Booster when he could have lived. You can also save Curly Brace and the island.

lyre

EmCeeGramr said:
Did you get the bad ending, the good ending, or the true ending?
I got both the crappy ending and the happy ending (
the one where you and Sue get caught by the flying dragon; at least she didn't die after being frenzied
).

PS: You shouldn't have
traded for that machine gun, even if the temptation to fly is great. The Polar Star can be traded later for the best gun in the game.
While I love to have
a charged gun
, I can't help but prefer holding fire and dodge; this is how I play Contra games. :)

Also, did you meet
Professor Booster when he fell and gave you the Booster 0.8? Because you just killed off Booster when he could have lived. You can also save Curly Brace and the island.
I don't remember shooting him dead, but he gave me the booster, which I didn't need since I could fly anyway. Also I tried talking to Curly after my character regained consciousness but nothing happens.

Also things I still need to do in the game:
Find Little dad, do the Clock puzzle and grab the box, and beat the final boss without getting hit

Also, I want to note, I only used two weapons throughout the entire game,
well three since your first gun can be traded and I did
; Polar Star, Machine gun, and Flamethrower. The other three weapons .... were pretty useless to me. :p

Cyan said:
Sounds like someone needs to beat this the hard way... :D
Believe me, considering how I usually play realtime action-y games, which was how I played Cave Story, this would be considered 'hard' to others. :p

lyre said:
I don't remember shooting him dead, but he gave me the booster, which I didn't need since I could fly anyway. Also I tried talking to Curly after my character regained consciousness but nothing happens.
You missed out on the final level and true ending, go play through the game again! Or just wait for the WiiWare version.

You'll probably have to check an FAQ to see how to get the true ending, you have to do some pretty obscure shit that nobody would ever think of doing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nincompoop said:
You missed out on the final level and true ending, go play through the game again! Or just wait for the WiiWare version.

You'll probably have to check an FAQ to see how to get the true ending, you have to do some pretty obscure shit that nobody would ever think of doing.

it would be nice if they added some more hints as to how to get that true ending in the wiiware version (with the option to switch over to the original version, of course)

lyre

nincompoop said:
I hate it when games do shit like that, especially when the PSPort only allows you one save file.

lyre said:
Those parts are actually pretty devious on Pixel's part, since the way to
save those characters
actually requires to you to NOT do the obvious thing and talk to the person.

To save
Booster: do NOT jump in after him in the Labyrinth. Just keep going and ignore him. Booster will eventually come back out of the teleporter in Arthur's House, and he'll have the Booster 2.0. It lasts much longer than the 0.8, and can fly in multiple directions, not just up.

Doing this unlocks a much harder "Last Cave" section and an optional boss.

To save
Curly Brace, you need to ignore her for the moment when you first walk into the room where you fight the Core. Keep walking right until you see a sparkling down on the ground. You'll find a tow cable. You can use that after the fight to pick up Curly Brace and carry her with you. Do you remember a little house in the Waterway section? Place her on the bed in there, and read the computer and the bookshelves, then go back to Curly. After you're finished, pick her up and carry her with you.

You'll get separated, but meet up with her later. There'll be a small quest to heal her up, and then you'll get an item.

Once you do these two things, you can unlock the TRUE final level and TRUE final boss and ending.
When you're running away after the final Doctor fight, you duck back into the little shack, and a hole will be in there. It'll lead to the final level.

Another thing, the final level crashed for me a few times when I played it on the PSP, possibly because (slight spoiler)
the screen fills up with enemies, which maybe caused the PSP to run out of memory or something.
So you might want to wait for the WiiWare version anyway.

Sciz

lyre said:
I hate it when games do shit like that, especially when the PSPort only allows you one save file.
To be fair every version of the game only has one save, aside from renaming the save file to something else in the PC version.

And I'll agree that you should go for the true ending, especially considering your gripes.

lyre

Don't worry, I'll be replaying the game from the beginning very soon and afterwards, the Wii version. Thanks for the tips.

JavaMava

Cyan said:
Yeah, this is pretty annoying. It'd be nice if it was easier to figure out on your own. I wouldn't say it's obscure, exactly, but one of the things you have to do is totally unintuitive.

Is it stuff you can go do after you get the bad ending, or is it once chance shit?

New blog update, highlighting footage from GameTrailers. http://nicalis.com/blog/2008/10/13/gametrailers-video-footage-yes-the-audio-is-wip/

Gametrailers has some gameplay footage up. They put up a bumper stating that the artwork is work-in-progress. The music is work-in-progress, too. There was also a strange bug where the music was playing at about 17-percent slower than it should. The sound effects haven’t been balanced and are WAAAAAY too loud in the footage you see here. Did I mention the music and audio aren’t complete? We promise the sound effects won’t make anyone’s ears bleed.

Grasstown: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41463.html
Grasstown/Balfrog fight: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41464.html
Interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41458.html

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
he was right to warn us about the music and sound quality. yee-ikes.

still, it looks like it's coming along nicely.

though the audio is running slow, is it just me, or is the game itself running a little fast? and the main character's jump looked to be a bit higher and more floaty than before.

Wark

lyre said:
Don't worry, I'll be replaying the game from the beginning very soon and afterwards, the Wii version. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, I'm actually replaying the game right now.

EmCeeGramr said:

The game is lookin' really awesome. I can't wait to see and hear the finished product.

Sciz

Blog update: King art comparison

I was planning on updating the blog with a comparison a week. I’ll be in transit this Friday to Kyoto so this week’s comparo comes a little early. Amaya’s new version of King obviously has more detail so now you can see a bit more of a frown as well as his mouth and whiskers. It still uses the original palette, we just have more pixels to work with. He definitely looks a lot closer to the in-game portrait now.

Iam Canadian

The new King sprite gives me a lot more faith in the new graphics than the new Toroko did. I wasn't sure about Toroko, but I really like King's new look.

I think this game is in good hands. :D

I saw the gametrailers videos. It's nice some sprites are getting redone to actually match the increased resolution but it's totally jarring against the lazily upscaled backgrounds and HUD.

LaneDS

I know the footage on Gametrailers was recorded at some public display somewhere, but the audio seemed especially jarring. Is it changed up for the WiiWare release or is that just an odd side effect of how the video was captured?

Other than that, looking great as expected. Will be the first WiiWare title I buy most likely.

Ranger X

LaneDS said:
I know the footage on Gametrailers was recorded at some public display somewhere, but the audio seemed especially jarring. Is it changed up for the WiiWare release or is that just an odd side effect of how the video was captured?

Other than that, looking great as expected. Will be the first WiiWare title I buy most likely.

read post #286

LaneDS said:

Audio was really early and giving them problems (volume level of sound effects, playback speed of the BGM to name two), but there's going to be both the original sound track and a remixed sound track available.

LaneDS said:

Audio is 17% slower in the demo and sound effects are static.

Iam Canadian

The Gravekeeper and the Mimiga Village look fantastic in the new style. The Chinfish (there's only one!) isn't really significantly improved. Not that you'll be seeing much of it, though; after all, there's only one. ;)

Johnas

I love love love (love) the original graphics, and hadn't paid this version much attention, but those new graphics look pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom