• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE STORY FOR WIIWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaiiee

Neo Member
I'm really impressed with the resized graphics and I'm rather looking forward to seeing how they look when put together.

I made a quick modification to Cave Story on the PC (I was doing the GameCube and PS3 Linux ports) to see how the graphics would look if fed through Scale2x (prior to loading, that is, not just scaling the final frame buffer). They looked okay, but not nearly as good as the graphics which have been redrawn properly.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Huzzah!

Balrog looks awesome. :D Glad to see my favourite character in Cave Story has made the transition well.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Fuu said:
Looking good.

Edit: quoted for the new page (50, not for your 100 elitists :p).

I'm on 100-page view and it moved to the new page anyway, so thanks! <3

Balrog looks a bit... I dunno, creepy. I think it's the pupils, despite the fact they're the same size as before... Eh, he's still a great character.

Can't wait to see how
Ballos
and
The Core
turn out!

balrog looks great

though Pixel missed a pixel in the top left corner of his right eye.

The gravekeeper is really good, looks mostly redrawn from scratch.

EmCeeGramr said:
2py2k5y.png

:D
:(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So glad I've been holding out to keep playing the game for the Wiiware version...
Pixel, take my money buddy :)

ultim8p00

Banned
SovanJedi said:
I'm on 100-page view and it moved to the new page anyway, so thanks! <3

Can't wait to see how
Ballos
and
The Core
turn out!

OMG! I really want to see this too, especially
Ballos and The Core when they get all rotten and red skulls start bursting out of their eyes and lips

That's gonna be amazing

Semantic Continuum said:
Will my avatar be used ? dun dun dun !!

You know, your avatar is kind of a spoiler.
We never know how Sue actually looks until the end of the game.

ultim8p00 said:
OMG! I really want to see this too, especially
Ballos and The Core when they get all rotten and red skulls start bursting out of their eyes and lips

That's gonna be amazing

By the way, I fixed your avatar and posted it in that thread where you asked someone to fix your avatar a while ago.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Death_Born said:
By the way, I fixed your avatar and posted it in that thread where you asked someone to fix your avatar a while ago.
I'm always reminded of that when I see his posts. His avatar has a nice animation, it's a shame he's still using the version that doesn't loop.

Edit: found it.

2v8juo4.gif

Iam Canadian

Death_Born said:
Woah WHAT? He has a nose...scratch..thing? This changes everything!

*draws nose on Balrog papercraft*

I don't think it's a nose, I think he's just a bit scuffed up. ;)

Trevor360 said:
so wtf is with the metroid music when u find an item? Seems pretty blatent

It isn't Metroid music, it's just item finding music. But this game has many Metroid-like elements so it's probably a homage.

Iam Canadian

I bet that some of the larger boss enemies, like
Monster X or The Core
are going to look spectacular with the extra detail.

Sue looks great too. Can't wait for this.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but the graphic upgrades seem pretty insignificant to me, I mean it would be nice to seem them add some color detail to the sprites rather than just pixel definition. The results don't seem that much better than what you can get out of scaling filters.

nincompoop said:
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but the graphic upgrades seem pretty insignificant to me, I mean it would be nice to seem them add some color detail to the sprites rather than just pixel definition. The results don't seem that much better than what you can get out of scaling filters.

Are you serious? You could never get that kind of detail from scaling filters. It would just look like a blurred-together lump if you tried to use a scaling filter on an 8-bit game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Death_Born said:
Wow. That is a HUGE improvement. And the nose scar thing too.

Can't wait to see what the bosses will look like. Epic.

I'd like to see
what she looks like when she gets transformed by the Doc, along with Misery, for the "initial" final boss fight. At least then I might be able to work out what she's supposed to look like. And no, that official drawing of that bossfight doesn't help me either.

nincompoop said:

Your assumption that you'd get called out on this was right. There isn't a single scaling filter alive that's able to accurately AA and add detail to the sprites like that. The colour choices are stylistic and won't be altered, not no-one not nohow.

Well obviously it looks better than a scaling filter but I don't think the difference is that significant, as opposed to completely redrawing the sprites with more colors.

Iam Canadian

nincompoop said:
Well obviously it looks better than a scaling filter but I don't think the difference is that significant, as opposed to completely redrawing the sprites with more colors.

They're trying to make the sprites more detailed while still maintaining the same style of the original.

SovanJedi said:
I'd like to see
what she looks like when she gets transformed by the Doc, along with Misery, for the "initial" final boss fight. At least then I might be able to work out what she's supposed to look like. And no, that official drawing of that bossfight doesn't help me either.

She looks like this normally

http://xs121.xs.to/xs121/07483/suepor2.gif

But in the final boss fight she gets transformed into some kind of catgirl, probably because she would be otherwise useless in battle.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
nincompoop said:

cavestory_sjified.gif

I dunno, I think your point is entirely to do with taste. While I do think they would be quite nice with more rounded shading and more colours as on the right, it lacks its particular style of the high-contrast low-colour variants, and that's partly what makes the game so appealing in its retro graphics. But this is just me.

Death_Born said:
She looks like this normally

http://xs121.xs.to/xs121/07483/suepor2.gif

But in the final boss fight she gets transformed into some kind of catgirl, probably because she would be otherwise useless in battle.

I meant the cat-like transformation during the bossfight, not the ending.

SovanJedi said:
cavestory_sjified.gif

I dunno, I think your point is entirely to do with taste. While I do think they would be quite nice with more rounded shading and more colours as on the right, it lacks its particular style of the high-contrast low-colour variants, and that's partly what makes the game so appealing in its retro graphics. But this is just me.

Actually, the Cave Story art style is very clear, without gradient shading. Well, that and the fact that it would be extremely hard for one guy to gradient shade everything.

Did I mention that looks completely and utterly awesome?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Death_Born said:
Actually, the Cave Story art style is very clear, without gradient shading. Well, that and the fact that it would be extremely hard for one guy to gradient shade everything.

Did I mention that looks completely and utterly awesome?

It doesn't take much time to add the colours really (I did that in about 10 minutes) - in fact I'd say it takes less time to do than the upscaling does, taking into consideration the detail that is being added in the process anyway. I don't think Pixel did it like that for timesaving purposes, but more a design choice. Like I said it makes Cave Story very distinct-looking, unlike if it were done all in the style on the right. I think it actually makes you pay attention to sprites when they have large bodies of flat colour, which is something you just don't get with more shading.

And thanks! :)

Eternal_0

I like that Pixel is actually getting paid for such a great game. I want to give him my money, too.

I think that the upgraded graphics and audio are good and bad at the same time. Part of the charm of the game was, for me, the 8-bit look and sound. I think it's mostly due to just finding a decent game still in 8-bit in this day and age. It has a lot of classic charm, and it reminds me of when using your imagination to make the links between character portraits and sprites used in gameplay. Not to mention, the 8-bit graphics and audio made the game seem very humble, while at the same time telling how much work Pixel put into it. I've never made a game, but I think that is pretty difficult to do.

On the other hand, the upgraded graphics are very well deserved for this game. It is evident that this game has had a lot of time and work put into it, and since they're porting it to WiiWare anything less seems like a crime. Using a scaler would have killed the art for the game. I love that they're giving a faithful upgrade to this game by putting so much work into it. It seems like it will lose some of its original charm but gain some as well, but I can't say that before playing the upgraded version. I loved the retro look and sound, but I like what I'm seeing so far. I'm very eager to play this again.

Eternal_0 said:
I like that Pixel is actually getting paid for such a great game. I want to give him my money, too.

I think that the upgraded graphics and audio are good and bad at the same time. Part of the charm of the game was, for me, the 8-bit look and sound. I think it's mostly due to just finding a decent game still in 8-bit in this day and age. It has a lot of classic charm, and it reminds me of when using your imagination to make the links between character portraits and sprites used in gameplay. Not to mention, the 8-bit graphics and audio made the game seem very humble, while at the same time telling how much work Pixel put into it. I've never made a game, but I think that is pretty difficult to do.

On the other hand, the upgraded graphics are very well deserved for this game. It is evident that this game has had a lot of time and work put into it, and since they're porting it to WiiWare anything less seems like a crime. Using a scaler would have killed the art for the game. I love that they're giving a faithful upgrade to this game by putting so much work into it. It seems like it will lose some of its original charm but gain some as well, but I can't say that before playing the upgraded version. I loved the retro look and sound, but I like what I'm seeing so far. I'm very eager to play this again.

The 8-bit-ness was interesting and charming for an indie game, but for a WiiWare game people might be turned off by the apparent simplicity of it and opt for something like Mega Man 9 instead. In the switch to 16-bit, the game becomes unique (at least for now) and the sprites gain a lot more character. I'm not opposed to it because it doesn't take away from the game itself, like using a sprite scaler would.

Shatai

Banned
I'm just happy that he's said you can mix and match which new and old elements you want to play with. I'll probably be down for the upgraded graphics with the old music, I just can't see new reprisals or arrangements matching the feel those tunes' instruments had.

Eternal_0

Death_Born said:
In the switch to 16-bit, the game becomes unique (at least for now) and the sprites gain a lot more character. I'm not opposed to it because it doesn't take away from the game itself, like using a sprite scaler would.

I thought the fact that it was 8-bit was unique, but the 16-bit version is also unique. The way they improved the sprites makes the upgrade worth it, but it's still sad for me to see the characters lose some of their blockiness. Thank goodness they're not using a scaler. That would make me cry on the inside.

Gagaman

Eternal_0 said:
I thought the fact that it was 8-bit was unique, but the 16-bit version is also unique. The way they improved the sprites makes the upgrade worth it, but it's still sad for me to see the characters lose some of their blockiness. Thank goodness they're not using a scaler. That would make me cry on the inside.
I believe they said the game will also have options to switch to the old sprite art if you wish, as well as choose between the redone music and the original music, too.

Eternal_0

Gagaman said:
I believe they said the game will also have options to switch to the old sprite art if you wish, as well as choose between the redone music and the original music, too.

Then disregard my complaints. I want to give pixel my money!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Alright fess up, who the hell works at this site and reported my sprite mod as a news article? :lol

I'm really really glad I added the disclaimer on the bottom now.

EDIT: It's at Go Nintendo now too! :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
SovanJedi said:
Alright fess up, who the hell works at this site and reported my sprite mod as a news article? :lol

EDIT: It's at Go Nintendo now too! :lol
:lol

Gaffers = lab rats. Everyone is looking!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SovanJedi said:
cavestory_sjified.gif

I meant the cat-like transformation during the bossfight, not the ending.

I would absolutely hate the one on the right. It reminds me too much of a snes era pre-rendered sprite. The lack of shading is part of the style of the game.

sp0rsk said:
I would absolutely hate the one on the right. It reminds me too much of a snes era pre-rendered sprite. The lack of shading is part of the style of the game.

I agree, the lack of gradients gives it a more striking effect than if the entire world was shaded. It turns out looking more crisp.

inthegray

SovanJedi said:

:D i wouldn't call it a "news article," as it's just a blog. hope you didn't mind me adding Pixel's original sprite; made sure to credit/link your post.

Sciz

sp0rsk said:
I was thinking it looked too much like a clay figure, but pre-rendered is the best way to put it. The lighting is just too dramatic for such a low-res sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom