• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE STORY FOR WIIWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnas

beelzebozo said:
"on to grasstown" rocks

Yeah, I'd almost tie it with Egg Corridor.

Cave Story is such a gaming gem. It has a timeless feel that few other games can match, for me at least.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ot, but i have no idea why the classic controller gets so much love...or any love. diagonals occasionally misfire on its d-pad, which makes it decidedly worse than average -- though it's certainly better than the borderline nonfunctional wiimote d-pad. hori's snes-style gc pad kills it. it's a sad state of affairs when nintendo of all companies can no longer make (or can no longer be bothered to make) a proper d-pad...and d-pads are such damnably simple things

Capndrake

Zanasea said:
Why would anyone buy an upcoming game that is already released and free?
Because it's the best free game ever, it has extras, and people want to finally support the maker in a monetary way?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zanasea said:

do a google search for short stories by a famous, well-loved author--hemingway, for example--and read some of them. then ask yourself why anyone would ever buy a collection of hemingway's short stories

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think i've played Cave Story before, but i just checked a trailer on YouTube for Cave Story and it looks pretty cool! :) So i think its nice to see that it comes for the Wii :) I always welcome more side-scrolling platformers! :)

The Hermit

drohne said:
ot, but i have no idea why the classic controller gets so much love...or any love. diagonals occasionally misfire on its d-pad, which makes it decidedly worse than average -- though it's certainly better than the borderline nonfunctional wiimote d-pad. hori's snes-style gc pad kills it. it's a sad state of affairs when nintendo of all companies can no longer make (or can no longer be bothered to make) a proper d-pad...and d-pads are such damnably simple things

D-pads died with Sega :(

Fireblend

Banned
Zanasea said:
Buying Cave Story means:

-Ability to play it on a TV and a comfy couch with a decent controller, obviously.
-More people will come to know about this great game.
-Extras and reworked stuff (I couldn't care less about this though).
-The original author will finally have a profit from his game.
-More chances for well-known indie games to go commercial/mainstream.
-Nice boost and incentive for indie community from which often the best ideas come from.
-The game is so amazing it easily tops most games out now, I'd pay happily $40 if, say, this was a DS game.

Porridge

Cave Story's praise is not overblown or unwarranted. It truly is that good and ranks as one of the best games I have ever played.

JoeFu

Banned
Fireblend said:
Buying Cave Story means:

-Ability to play it on a TV and a comfy couch with a decent controller, obviously.
-More people will come to know about this great game.

-Extras and reworked stuff (I couldn't care less about this though).
-The original author will finally have a profit from his game.
-More chances for well-known indie games to go commercial/mainstream.
-Nice boost and incentive for indie community from which often the best ideas come from.

-The game is so amazing it easily tops most games out now, I'd pay happily $40 if, say, this was a DS game.

The ones not crossed off ring true, but the others? not so much.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
drohne said:

Ehhh, Nintendo D-pads have always sucked, atleast compared to Sega's. Which always makes me wonder why no one ever rips off the Saturn pad.

sp0rsk said:
Ehhh, Nintendo D-pads have always sucked, atleast compared to Sega's. Which always makes me wonder why no one ever rips off the Saturn pad.

Have you ever used the Gameboy Micro? the D-Pad on that is phenominal. I would say that the Saturn pad is the best D-Pad with the Micro just under it. It's a shame Nintendo didn't continue using it.

Fireblend

Banned
Linkzg said:
The ones not crossed off ring true, but the others? not so much.
Why? A few years ago I would have thought impossible for games like N, Cave Story, Every Extend, etc... to get picked up by "commercial" gaming. Isn't it a great incentive for new developers to see that great projects made at home with so few resources can succeed in the market thanks to their originality and value? And it's not like your average gamer even knows about the indie scene, how does this not mean that Cave Story will be known by more gamers and maybe be recognized for what it is? I love this trend, I love the recognition indie developers seem to be having these days, and I'd happily pay if it means to boost that trend and for the industry to realize this is the kind of ideas and creativity where I want gaming to go.

And uhh, well, I have no way to set up my TV, couch, gamepad and computer so that I can play Cave Story comfortably, so the first one applies to me.

Teasel

so according to go-nintendo you'll be able to use the original graphics and music if you want (or you can mix and match)
RMC: What can we look forward to as far as music? Will the old songs be retained, or will there be something else?

TR: The WiiWare version of Cave Story features all-new music rearranged by Yann van der Cruyssen. He’s worked with Nicklas (Nygren) in the past and we’ve really liked working with him. We’ve paid very close attention to stay as faithful as possible to the original music. Each track is passed off while in-progress state to Amaya so that he can review and approve it.

Yes, the old music and graphics will both be retained via a switch. You’ll also be able to mix-and-match audio and visuals. So, if you like the old art and new music, or vice versa, you can do it. Cave Story has a huge fanbase, we’re aware of that and want to make sure that it’s true to what they expect and Pixel-approved. If they don’t like the new art or music, we won’t be offended and they can play the game in its original state.

Fireblend

Banned
Yes, the old music and graphics will both be retained via a switch. You’ll also be able to mix-and-match audio and visuals. So, if you like the old art and new music, or vice versa, you can do it. Cave Story has a huge fanbase, we’re aware of that and want to make sure that it’s true to what they expect and Pixel-approved. If they don’t like the new art or music, we won’t be offended and they can play the game in its original state.
bolded for emphasis. If all they're doing is Pixel-approved, I know it will all turn out great. :D

Edit: Isn't the official website supposed to be up today? Can't wait :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
whoa, that's an awesome option. they're really putting some extra work into the port, it seems, but having the option to just flip a switch and make it plain ol' cave story is mighty awesome.

Teasel said:
so according to go-nintendo you'll be able to use the original graphics and music if you want (or you can mix and match)
Came here to post just this as I know people were disappointed with the music in the footage.

ampere

The site doesn't say a whole lot, but I heard it was already confirmed to be coming out this year. Works for me :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wallpaper get. And I love the music.

What's this about different wallpapers? Not sure if they're supposed to be different for other people already, but these are the ones I'm seeing:

15gt2kx.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
Alaluef said:

What's this about different wallpapers? Not sure if they're supposed to be different for other people already, but these are the ones I'm seeing:
Yeah, mine are different. Cool.
2eamkk6.png

JoeFu

Banned
Boo generic midi "remix" of moonsong. But I'm so happy that the original music will still be in the game.

I........ really hope that's website-quality music, not actual game quality music.

At least the original music/graphics will an option...

Alaluef said:

15gt2kx.jpg

I want that left wallpaper, but the damn site isn't bringing it up.

Alaluef said:

15gt2kx.jpg

Alaluef said:

15gt2kx.jpg

Sciz

Hmm.

Original PR said:
Arguably the most well-known indie game of all time, Cave Story features an completely original storyline perfect for the Wii audience. Cave Story is an action-adventure game from the critically acclaimed independent designer, Daisuke Amaya--or Pixel to his fans. Overflowing with unmatched charm and character, Cave Story takes players into a world where a race of rabbit-like creatures, called Mimigas, run free on a serene
floating
island.

The once-carefree world is in danger of disaster at the hands of a
maniacal doctor
. The Mimigas' only hope is in the hands of a quiet, amnesiac
soldier
named
. Players take control of
and learn the origins of the
floating
island's power.
Website writeup said:
Arguably the most well-known indie game of all time, Cave Story features an original storyline written by acclaimed independent designer, Daisuke Amaya -- or Pixel to you. Overflowing with unmatched charm and character, Cave Story takes players into a world where a race of rabbit-like creatures, called Mimigas, run free on a serene island.

The once-carefree world is in danger of disaster at the hands of a new threat. The Mimigas' only hope is in the hands of a quiet, amnesiac boy who can't remember his own name. Players take control of the main character and learn the origins of the island's power.
Conclusion: Someone at Nicalis reads GAF. Hi guys, and thanks. <3

And from the blog:
Yes, the sound effects are work-in-progress
And, yes, so is the music.
The audio quality still bugs me a bit, but that's a nice enough arrangement of Moonsong.

Let's get all the wallpapers up in this thread! Here are the two I received:

1024x768

1280x800

1280x1024

1024x768

1280x800

1280x1024

Enjoy!

RMC: What can we look forward to as far as music? Will the old songs be retained, or will there be something else?

TR: The WiiWare version of Cave Story features all-new music rearranged by Yann van der Cruyssen. He’s worked with Nicklas (Nygren) in the past and we’ve really liked working with him. We’ve paid very close attention to stay as faithful as possible to the original music. Each track is passed off while in-progress state to Amaya so that he can review and approve it.

Woah, hot. I can't wait to hear the new music. But what are the new graphics?

EDIT:
ae1x88_th.jpg

Balcony Wallpaper Max Size

Fireblend said:
Also... thanks to whoever read the complaints about the spoilers and acted accordingly. Now that's listening to its audience.

Too bad they still have a huge spoiler as one of the wallpapers

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
BlackTyrano said:
Too bad they still have a huge spoiler as one of the wallpapers

Well, in fairness, it's not one of those things that's immediately apparent as a spoiler unless you're told that it's a spoiler, if that makes any sense.

Besides, it looks awesome on my desktop, so I'll excuse it. :D

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
So yeah, Cave Story is an incredible game. But spending money to play it again, eeeehhhhh. That content better be something special.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Zek said:
So yeah, Cave Story is an incredible game. But spending money to play it again, eeeehhhhh. That content better be something special.

Even if the game didn't have extra content, I'd probably buy it anyway just to support Pixel, whom I think is pretty awesome. Well, there's that and the whole comfy couch thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom