• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing PAL GCN games on an unmodded US Wii?

So I imported a US Wii on the understanding that I could, via the Homebrew Channel, use GeckoOS to play my backlog of PAL GCN games, including such greats as Paper Mario: tTYD, Metroid Prime 2, Super Mario Sunshine and Legend of Zelda: OoT (bonus disc).

So I did the Twilight Hack, installed the Homebrew Channel as well as GeckoOS (v 1.07) and tried to play OoT, but nothing happened. The screen went black and I had to reset. I did it again with the same result. I even tried playing around with some of the settings, but nope, not getting anything.

I was three quarters of the way through a playthrough of OoT when my Wii arrived in the mail and would rather not lose all of my progress now that I am so close to the end. Are there any alternatives to using the HBC/GeckoOS out there that will allow me to play my PAL games or am I stuck?

Or am I just using the GeckoOS wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I don't know how it works the other way around, but I have played JP and US Cube games on my Wii using the GeckoOS... it should just work.

Wait are you running on 480p?

VOOK said:
I don't know how it works the other way around, but I have played JP and US Cube games on my Wii using the GeckoOS... it should just work.

Wait are you running on 480p?
Not running on 480p. My picture's being put through composite cables.

VOOK

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Not running on 480p. My picture's being put through composite cables.

Hmm that could be it, although I don't really know for sure. It is in at least 60hz (576i) right?

VOOK

Of course.

Does GeckoOS normally try to force 480p?

Don't think so but the NTSC cube games will be trying to run at 60hz, I think only if you hold B does the 480p prompt come up.

VOOK said:
Don't think so but the NTSC cube games will be trying to run at 60hz, I think only if you hold B does the 480p prompt come up.
60Hz shouldn't be the problem, since I've run 60Hz-only games on that same TV with no issues.

I'll have to wait until I get home to check, but you might be onto a winner with the 480p suggestion.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
the twilight hack is a one time thing. you could transfer your save over to another SD card and put it back when you're done.

What sort of setup do you have?
US Wii, unmodified, 3.3U. GCBooter crashes when I try to load the game (Naruto GNT4) but when I reset using Menu Loader (in regionfree mode) and launch the game using the Disc Channel it works fine.

manzo

I have an unmodded US Wii and I can run PAL GCN games on it fine with GCBoot.

Remember: PAL 50hz only game WILL NOT WORK. They will just show a black screen. The game needs to have a 60hz mode to work.

manzo said:
I have an unmodded US Wii and I can run PAL GCN games on it fine with GCBoot.

Remember: PAL 50hz only game WILL NOT WORK. They will just show a black screen. The game needs to have a 60hz mode to work.
Wait, seriously? Can you not force 60Hz at all?

OK, it isn't just GeckoOS it seems. I tried both GCBooter and Menu Loader (along with the reboot settings on GeckoOS) and nothing works. I get the same black screen followed by a whole lot of nothing.

;_;

Does anyone know what it could possibly be? I can play US GCN games just fine and I'm playing games that have a 60Hz mode.

Problem is that I suspect that they're 50Hz temporarily at the startup screen ;_;

EDIT: It turns out that the games I have boot into 50Hz mode, then launch 60Hz if the player chooses to.

Damn it! I was hoping to end the clutter in my gaming setup with one console to rule them all. Oh well, back to using the old PAL Gamecube.

manzo

Wait, seriously? Can you not force 60Hz at all?

No, you can't.

What games did you try? For me, the games that had 60hz selection screens automatically just selected 60hz and worked fine. :O

Edit: 60hz games that I tried and worked:

- F-Zero GX (booted straight to 480p!)
- Resident Evil 4 (booted to 480i)
- Eternal Darkness
- Both Zeldas
- Paper Mario 2

50hz only games that went black screen after booting:

- Mario Party 5
- Tales of Symphonia

manzo said:
No, you can't.

What games did you try? For me, the games that had 60hz selection screens automatically just selected 60hz and worked fine. :O

Edit: 60hz games that I tried and worked:

- F-Zero GX (booted straight to 480p!)
- Resident Evil 4 (booted to 480i)
- Eternal Darkness
- Both Zeldas
- Paper Mario 2

50hz only games that went black screen after booting:

- Mario Party 5
- Tales of Symphonia
I couldn't get any of these games to work:

Players Choice Zelda Wind Waker
Zelda: OoT (WW Bonus Disc)
Super Mario Sunshine

The one I did most of my testing on was OoT though.

I'll have to try a few other games. Give me a few minutes.

EDIT:

OK, I've also tried:

Players Choice Metroid Prime
Paper Mario 2

None of them work. Mario Sunshine caused the Wii to spaz out and turn itself off :|

Lafazar said:
Hmm, the Oot bonus disc is 60Hz ONLY, if I recall correctly.
It is? Well, the problem must be something else since regardless of whether I reboot into region free mode, use GeckoOS or GCBooter, the result is always the same.

I'm thinking that if it were a display problem, I'd at least hear sound. The Wii just hangs and refuses to load anything PAL.

Lafazar

Is the region free even supposed to work on NTSC machines? I recall that the early region free solutions only worked for PAL machines...

Lafazar said:
Is the region free even supposed to work on NTSC machines? I recall that the early region free solutions only worked for PAL machines...
Yeah, that'd be about right. The PAL regions get the superior hardware and superior versions of games, but get shafted on releases and prices.

God, I hate being a Nintendo fan in PALstralia.

Top Bottom