• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: The Brave And The Bold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

After what must have been almost a year off of TV (actually only a few months), Batman returns to the mini-world of television with a new animated series.

batman-brave_and_bold.jpg

Let's just get this out of the way, this is not Batman: The Animated Series. Hell, it does not even try to mimick the former.

Batman is a whole lot less serious, and has an assortment of sidekicks. There is the return of huge gadgets and talkative villians.

The show premiered yesterday, and I got to say I quite enjoyed the first episode. It wasn't too cheesy, but had its screwball moments (most of it takes place in space in which apparently Batman can breathe quite freely) and has potential with different DC characters coming into the show.

This ep featured Blue Beetle and Green Arrow.

Does Christian Bale do any of the voices? Does Christian Bale animate anything in the show? Is there a guy named Christian involved with the project in any way? If not it sucks.

Penguin

Teh Hamburglar said:
Does Christian Bale do any of the voices? Does Christian Bale animate anything in the show? Is there a guy named Christian involved with the project in any way? If not it sucks.

Bitter bitter Hamburglar. :lol

Though Blue Beetle is done by Eric Matthews. :D

Druz

I hate these new fangled animation styles. They've never been good, just ugly as hell. This series was obviously intended for two year olds.

Sanjuro

+ I enjoy the throwback animation style. It fits with the story they are telling.
+ The humor was the highlight of this show over other Batman animated series. The jokes were much more mature compared to the cheesy gags they could have gone with.
+ Series concept and narration was good. Best thing this has going for it is variety and the ability to pull in characters from all over the DC universe.
+ Enjoyed the voice acting. The actor who played Batman is already miles ahead of Rino Romano.

- I had no idea this aired already, I haven't seen ONE ad for the show anywhere on the channel nor online. This would make a great lead in show to Adult Swim. The longevity of the show is in question without easy attempts to attracted viewers.
- It has the potential to go south very fast with lack of creativity. This is the type of show that can start falling back on the material they are actually trying to parody.

Overall this is only one episode. With not really any negatives coming from the actual show I'm quite impressed already in comparison to the last Bat-outing. Doing the old comparison shtick it is along the lines of the Venture Brothers meeting Justice League.

Penguin

Gantz said:
The art style is terrible.

I guess its all relative.
I love the artstyle, reminds me of that segment in BTAS episode, Legends of The Dark Knight.

Over the top muscular characters.

Sumidor

Penguin said:
(most of it takes place in space in which apparently Batman can breathe quite freely)

haha I noticed that too. Wierd thing was, in the beginning when they were flying in space, he had a mask, then poof it was gone. I thought it was ok, and I like how Batman will be appearing with less known DC heroes. It's kinda cheesy, but it was entertaining.

hobbitx

I see a little Venture Brothers influence in this show's art style save for the outliney look.

Awesome seeing plastic man again, not too familiar with the comics, but I loved the cartoon.

agrajag said:
I liked Batman Beyond, why'd they cancel that.
That's a good question.

Too bad they ruined Batman Beyond with the last episode of Justice League Unlimited. I mean, come on
Terry is a fucking clone of Bruce Wayne? Are you fucking kidding me?
:(

Zoltrix

I AM JOHN! said:
That's a good question.

Too bad they ruined Batman Beyond with the last episode of Justice League Unlimited. I mean, come on

I saw that along time ago, but
isn't Bruce Wayne his father?
Either way I wouldn't say it ruined the entire series.

Viewt

I AM JOHN! said:
That's a good question.

Well, he's not a clone. He's Bruce's son. Which is still kind of hackey, I agree. Still, I thought Epilogue was, big reveal aside, a pretty good episode.

RyuHayate

agrajag said:
That looks stupid.

I liked Batman Beyond, why'd they cancel that.

Beyond was fantastic. Whenever Nolan decides he's done with his run, Warner Brothers should really look at making a live action version of it.

agrajag

Banned
RyuHayate said:
Beyond was fantastic. Whenever Nolan decides he's done with his run, Warner Brothers should really look at making a live action version of it.

The only problem I had with the show was that every episode had a villain that was hopped up on some steroids. Everything was about steroids.

RyuHayate

I really like what I've seen of this show on the linked YouTube videos. I've always been a humongous fan of both the lighthearted, fantastical Batman and the darker, more realistic Batman so it's nice to have both right now. :D

And agrajag, I can see where you're coming from in regards to Beyond's steroid loaded villains but I think if more effort is applied to individualizing them they're all capable of becoming more iconic, compelling characters.

Penguin

TheGrayGhost said:
HOlY FREAKING SHIT!!! Laser sword in utility belt!!!

BBatB>>>>>>>>BTAS

TNBAS still reigns supreme, though.

I forgot all about the light saber in the belt.
And The Clock King having sidekicks named Tick and Tock. :lol

Zoltrix

Okay so I watched the episode. It was entertaining, but not the serious Batman series I'd like to see (as expected). Reminds me of Teen Titans though a lot less annoying. I'm just really disappointed that there was so little Green Arrow! Please tell me this isn't his only episode.

I'll be watching this every week :)

7Th

The art-style is actually rather good compared to similar lacking-in-sense-of-depth designs. It's very emblematic and with a nice sense of composition. Even if it is no Batman: TAS, I personally enjoy it a lot more than the overly simplified and stiff Justice League.

I still hate the abuse of computer-generated tacky motion-blur, though.

Rotanibor

I was expecting the show to be better than The Batman at least, but it ended up being a lot better than I imagined. Still doesn't beat Batman TAS for me at least. I'll definately be tuning in every week to watch it though.

Best comic book cartoon on the air is currently is still Spectacular Spider-man. I absolutely can't wait for season 2 to start.

Teh Hamburglar said:

Best NeoGAF impersonation I've ever seen.

Scarecrow

Months ago, when I learned of the existence of both this series and the Anime batman miniseries, I was more excited for the anime version. Having seen both, I'm surprised just how good Brave and Bold is... way better than the Batmanime. I can't wait for more.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Ughh....this makes Family Guy more tolerable.

Bring back Batman The animated series please.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Fuck Comcast. They removed Cartoon Network from the basic cable lineup and I dont have a digital box in my room so I can't watch Cartoon Network unless I go downstairs. Sadface.

Rorschach

The previews make it look like total camp, but I can't resist anything with Batman and Green Arrow! I'll roll around in the camp!

Penguin

Rorschach said:
The previews make it look like total camp, but I can't resist anything with Batman and Green Arrow! I'll roll around in the camp!

It is a total campfest, which is why I love it.

I think camp works well, if you intentionally go for it, and not accidently get it like in Forever and that other movie.

With that said, I am curious how well the writers can continue to walk that line before it wears thin.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
pelicansurf said:
Fuck Comcast. They removed Cartoon Network from the basic cable lineup and I dont have a digital box in my room so I can't watch Cartoon Network unless I go downstairs. Sadface.

They did? That's horseshit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No, no, that sounds like Comcast. Anyway, I watched the premiere, and I thought it was okay, not bad, not terrible, not The Batman, but a nice start to things. Also, here is something I need to get off my chest, we are not getting another Batman: The Animated Series, that kind of high water mark isn't going to happen, go buy the DVD sets and get over that idea already.

We'll I gotta say I'm surprised how good the animation is. At first the artwork made me think the animation would be shit but its actually well animated. I'm not a fan of the whimsical batman but the show is fun to watch.

It already looks better than The Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom