• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter's January NPD Estimates

FrankT

Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter just predicted that 360 beat PS3 in America in

January, and that Wii still managed to completely outstrip the pair of them.

“We estimate sell-through of 550,000 Wii, 275,000 Xbox 360 and 225,000 PS3 consoles (a 35% year-over-year unit increase in consoles),” he said in a note.

“Our console sell-through forecasts reflect our belief that supplies for Wii hardware were up year-over-year.”

Pachter’s forecasting sales of $690 million, up 12 percent compared to last year’s $615 million.

January’s NPD releases this Thursday.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/09/pachter-us-estimates-275k-360-225-ps3-in-january/

Wii 550k
360 275K
PS3 225K

Parl

Kolgar said:
Thirty-five percent year-over-year increase in hardware for the industry.

This is a good thing.
Artificially low last year due to very low Wii shipments in January. Still good that it's grown in January though, whatever the reason.

lawblob said:
Seems like pretty solid numbers considering the economy.

What recession?
industry-revenue-by-month-2005-2008.png

(from gamasutra's dec. NPD analysis)

lowlylowlycook said:
What recession?
industry-revenue-by-month-2005-2008.png

(from gamasutra's dec. NPD analysis)
Yeah maybe no recession for the videogame industry but I don't think there will be a two digits growth.
Sadly the littlest editors and devs will suffer more :(

FrankT

Chinner said:
The question is whether or not the 360 will have a huge drop in sales like it did last year.

Not so much when there was lack of stock last year post Christmas. This year not so much as I bought a Jasper arcade in the month with no issues locating one. MS actually keeping up post Christmas this year without issue it would seem. As far as Pachter's numbers they don't seem too out of line. 360/PS3 maybe a bit a lower and Wii in range perhaps.

Outside the big three as far as recession goes no clearly SW companies are taking it real good when it comes to the recession.

PS3 and 360 basically swapped numbers comparative to 2008's January's numbers. The growth would be entirely due to Wii's increased stock.

So it seems everyone's comfortable with the suggestion that the PS3 is down YoY for the 3rd consecutive month?

I thought there would be way more opposition to that, especially since it highlights what's becoming a disturbing trend for the PS3.

donny2112

lowlylowlycook said:
How much was the PS2 then? Already down to $129?

It was the transition to the PS2 Slim. Fall 2004 had all kinds of shortages for the PS2, so January 2005 was sort of a catch-up month.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So it seems everyone's comfortable with the suggestion that the PS3 is down YoY for the 3rd consecutive month?

I thought there would be way more opposition to that, especially since it highlights what's becoming a disturbing trend for the PS3.
It's probably going to keep dropping til it gets a price drop.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm sure January will see ok numbers due to post holiday shopping so enjoy them while you can. I think February's numbers will be bad for everyone since we now have the highest unemployment rate in over 25 years.

FrankT

DeaconKnowledge said:

Not really, going into holiday season 07 PS3 had a healthy price cut not so much for 08(still at the same price it was when it got that cut), and January was the hammer and nail to HDDVD. So PS3 had some momentum during that time period it is clearly lacking now. Not to mention some of the worst economic conditions for the highest price console out there. Not really all that surprising. It's going to take a good cut simply to get the ball rolling again. I haven't done my numbers yet, but I think both PS3 and 360 could be a bit lower than Pachter's.

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:

Why would it go up when Killzone 2 hasn't hit?

Pfft.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BishopLamont said:
It's probably going to keep dropping til it gets a price drop.

Or till something worthy is released for the system on the covered month.

Jtyettis said:
Not really, going into holiday season 07 PS3 had a healthy price cut not so much for 08(still at the same price it was when it got that cut), and January was the hammer and nail to HDDVD. So PS3 had some momentum during that time period it is clearly lacking now. Not to mention some of the worst economic conditions for the highest price console out there. Not really all that surprising. It's going to take a good cut simply to get the ball rolling again. I haven't done my numbers yet, but I think both PS3 and 360 could be a bit lower than Pachter's.

I fail to see how these variables stop it from being a disturbing trend. The PS3 being the same price it was when it dropped in 07 shouldn't be a deterrent for people buying it in 08, and why aren't people continuuing to buy the definitive next gen disc format when its only competitor has been dead and buried for months?

The problem with the PS3 stretches past just price now. It's a system that delivers largely the same gaming experience for a higher price, and consumers are starting to shy away from it as a result. Price drops at this rate will only be placing bandages on the cracks of this PS3 dam, what we're seeing here is the damage of a high priced console with a huge shared library bearing fruit.

FrankT

Wait you don't understand why a price cut would help it with additional sales in one year over another. Heh, I pointed that out to Jesse Divinch when he put up his high estimates for the PS3 before holidays and even he got it. Do I think more price cuts are going to skyrocket the PS3 in the US, no. Personally I think the US is pretty much done as far as this generation goes for the 3 platforms and has been that way for quite some time now. Price cuts will help all of these platforms, but it will not help PS3/360 to the point of changing the overall dynamic of placements imo. 1/2/3 is set in the US and has been for awhile now.

As far as Blu Ray I have no clue. Personally I refuse to buy any over $20, but maybe that is just me. It has made some progress, but it has a long, long way to go.

Jtyettis said:
Wait you don't understand why a price cut would help it with additional sales in one year over another. Heh, I pointed that out to Jesse Divinch when he put up his high estimates for the PS3 before holidays and even he got it. Do I think more price cuts are going to skyrocket the PS3 in the US, no.

That's not what I said. I said I don't understand why people would stop buying the console even though it is the same price as last year. Price drops should boost existing sales, not get you back to where you were previously. The thought that the PS3 NEEDS a price drop to sell near the same amount of kit as it did last year should be a huge red flag to anyone even remotely interested in tracking sales. We're not even comparing it to the 360 or Wii now, this is PS3 2007-8 vs. 2008-9.

Jtyettis said:
As far as Blu Ray I have no clue. Personally I refuse to buy any over $20, but maybe that is just me. It has made some progress, but it has a long, long way to go.

I think it's been well established that people aren't going to buy a PS3 as "a Blu-Ray player that plays games". I feel it quite didingenuous to infer that the PS3 is bringing in any more than statistical noise by way of Blu Ray sales, especially considering the steady decrease we're bearing witness to as the months go on.

FrankT

DeaconKnowledge said:
That's not what I said. I said I don't understand why people would stop buying the console even though it is the same price as last year. Price drops should boost existing sales, not get you back to where you were previously. The thought that the PS3 NEEDS a price drop to sell near the same amount of kit as it did last year should be a huge red flag to anyone even remotely interested in tracking sales.

I think it's been well established that people aren't going to buy a PS3 as "a Blu-Ray player that plays games". I feel it quite didingenuous to infer that the PS3 is bringing in any more than statistical noise by way of Blu Ray sales, especially considering the steady decrease we're bearing witness to as the months go on.

It was a red flag a long time ago now and that was why I added 1/2/3 is set in stone in the US and has been for a very long time now. No where near the point of being red flag material now if one has been tracking these numbers seriously. I remember a specific thread you were in last year at this time where you thought the PS3 could actually change the WW dynamic(Edge article claiming 360 would see it's last month of outselling the PS3). I certainly didn't think so and one or two months of small wins really didn't mean that whatsoever.

Jtyettis said:
It was a red flag a long time ago now and that was why I added 1/2/3 is set in stone in the US and has been for a very long time now. I remember a specific thread you were in last year at this time where you thought the PS3 could actually change the WW dynamic(Edge article claiming 360 would see it's last month of outseeling the PS3). I certainly didn't think so and one or two months of small wins really didn't mean that whatsoever.

Now that's a quote I would love to see.

FrankT

DeaconKnowledge said:
Now that's a quote I would love to see.

It will take some time, but I'll find it. I remember the thread, but have yet to find it. Nextgenbiz/Edge prediction article for 2008 where they stated 360 would see it's last month leading PS3 sales IIRC.

Failed to find it, but I'll try to look later. I could be mistaking you for someone else, but don't think so. Anyhow I'm pretty sure I never commented in the thread. I missed it altogether and was pointed to it later on last year sometime for the laughs.

DeaconKnowledge said:

As long as there was nothing in January to change the trend, it doesn't seem much a surprise.
DeaconKnowledge said:
That's not what I said. I said I don't understand why people would stop buying the console even though it is the same price as last year. Price drops should boost existing sales, not get you back to where you were previously. The thought that the PS3 NEEDS a price drop to sell near the same amount of kit as it did last year should be a huge red flag to anyone even remotely interested in tracking sales. We're not even comparing it to the 360 or Wii now, this is PS3 2007-8 vs. 2008-9.
Sales won't just remain flat forever if a price never changes. If that were the case and price drops only caused sales to increase, PS2 should be selling HOT on its fifth price.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:

For your "there are more Wiis available" avatar, a .gif with each word getting added at the rate of standard speech would probably be more readable.

e.g.

There

There are

There are more

There are more
Wiis

Mindlog

Jtyettis said:
It will take some time, but I'll find it. I remember the thread, but have yet to find it. Nextgenbiz/Edge prediction article for 2008 where they stated 360 would see it's last month leading PS3 sales IIRC.

Failed to find it, but I'll try to look later. I could be mistaking you for someone else, but don't think so. Anyhow I'm pretty sure I never commented in the thread. I missed it altogether and was pointed to it later on last year sometime for the laughs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230386

I have a small bookmark folder of various predictions :]

EEDAR is predicting crazy Wii sales for this NPD:

EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich believes that the sales boost was‭ mostly driven by the Nintendo Wii‭‬,‭ ‬which the group expects will‭ ‬sell‭ ‬740,000‭ ‬units,‭ ‬a‭ ‬170 percent‭ ‬increase over last January.‭ ‬WMS adds that the Wii is expected to‭ ‬show‭ ‬“solid year-over-year growth in early‭ ‬2009,‭ ‬with supply and demand finally in balance by March or April.‭”
also

EEDAR predicts the game has sold‭ ‬700,000‭ ‬copies in the‭ ‬US throughout January,‭ ‬which the analyst explains would make its sales‭ “‬the highest on record for a single SKU in the month of January,‭ ‬on any platform.‭”

From Edge online.

FrankT

JoshuaJSlone said:
As long as there was nothing in January to change the trend, it doesn't seem much a surprise.

Sales won't just remain flat forever if a price never changes. If that were the case and price drops only caused sales to increase, PS2 should be selling HOT on its fifth price.

I'm not trying to infer that the PS3 should be increasing sales indefinitely with price drops. In essence we're in the process of seeing the PS3 plummet three months in a row, 2 of those months being holiday months (November and December.) What i'm getting at here is that is nowhere near normal for a console in its third year. A healthy console would see YoY growth, not reduction.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Charred Greyface said:
:lol that's cruelty
The writing style and arguments of a certain banned member in that thread is eerily similar to the writing style and arguments of another certain current active member.

Mindlog said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230386

I have a small bookmark folder of various predictions :]
I made some pretty good posts in there that ended up pretty much happening... And barring a rather painful (for Sony) $100 price drop or introduction of a $199 SKU in the very near future, it would surprise me if PS3 outsells X360 in North America at any time for the rest of this gen. MS is ready to match if Sony does, though, and that's a pretty tough situation for the Sony dudes.

dyls

I think he's over on everything except perhaps Wii. I have a feeling PS3 numbers will be particularly disturbing, and I don't see 360 going much over 200K. The holidays are over and the weight of the recession really hit people in January. We already know that consumer spending was way down, I think the idea that gaming won't start feeling the pinch is naive. The only reason I expect Wii sales to be so high is because of pent up demand from December—purchases that were already planned for the holidays but not picked up due to shortages. That and the general public sense that Wii presents an excellent value (GAF's opinion notwithstanding).

Top Bottom