• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official SMT: Devil Survivor (DS) Thread -- Time to make your final choice!

Volcynika

mrwho8.jpg

103sfgp.jpg

Website: The Official Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Website

Genre: Strategy RPG / RPG hybrid

Rating: T for Teen

1zybypi.jpg

In seven days, Tokyo will fall.

The entire city has been locked down. No one enters, and no one leaves. Demons have invaded the city, attacking innocent people who have no means of fighting back. Inside the lockdown, fear and chaos reign.

You are inside the lockdown. You will forge contracts with demons who will fight by your side. You will make decisions that will mean life for some and death for others. But what about your own life? Will you survive?

Seven days remain. The clock is ticking.

29m57yp.jpg

• Shin Megami Tensei goes portable — The absorbing story, addictive demon-fusing, and hardcore RPG battle that define the Shin Megami Tensei experience finally arrive on Nintendo’s popular dual screen handheld. Expressly designed for Nintendo DS, SMT makes a seamless transition with trademark gameplay features built into an intuitive presentation you can take anywhere!

• Collect and fuse demons like never before — Demon collection is updated for a new generation: competitive bidding determines the outcome! Place your winning bid through the easy-to-use menu interface to add new demons to your roster. Then, fuse them together to create new, more powerful creatures to aid you in battle.

• Hybrid SRPG/RPG combat system — A perfect synthesis of strategy and traditional RPG combat, you’ll need more than the usual battle strategy to come out on top. Deployed in teams of 2-3, you must choose the right combination of human and demons for each unit placed on the grid, then prepare to launch into first person turn-based battle in the tradition of the classic RPGs!

• Many possible conclusions — An epic story of mythological proportions lets you decide whether your loyalties lie with the angels, demons, or only yourself. Decisions made throughout the game will affect the course of the story, ultimately ending in a showdown where your choice of alliance will determine the survival of thousands.

2wgi1pe.jpg

Japan: January 15th, 2009
North America: June 23rd, 2009
Europe: --

2ik4c9j.jpg

121q4i9.jpg

14sfevp.jpg

xt3e1.jpg
2cdbkaf.jpg

2126af8.jpg
2hcmbzs.jpg

53o1hf.jpg
2e2jb4j.jpg

125s19l.jpg
wurxua.jpg

2hq6w3p.jpg

Teaser Trailer
Tokyo Lockdown
Characters: Yuzu
Characters: Atsuro
Characters: The Hero (You)
Characters: Midori Dolly Komaki
Characters: Mari Mochizuki
Demon Auction
Demon Fusion
Dynamic Battles

27xh5vm.jpg

Game Informer: 8/10
RPGamer: 4.0/5.0
GamePro: 3.5/5.0
GameZone: 8.0/10
GameSpot: 9.0/10.0
Destructoid: 9.0/10.0
1UP: A-

2zppisy.jpg

Dude, it's SMT on the DS! What's this I hear about the battle system?

It's a bit different than other SMT games, the game is a sort of strategy RPG / RPG hybrid of sorts. Players will move around the main area like an SRPG, but when you get into individual battles between units/teams, it's good ole turn-based like action. You can take out the leader to bring a unit down completely, but they'll protect 'em!

Any impressions/previews/anything like that available?

Why yes! Here's a handful of links of Atlus and others giving their thoughts on the game:

Siliconera Interview
RPGamer Devil Survivor Interview
Destructoid Preview
IGN Hands-On
Gamespot Hands-On
RPGamer Impressions
RPGFan Hands-On

And to make a special mention of Nich Maragos' spiffy write-up: Time of Death

What if I'm more interested in the users impressions, I don't trust all those sites very much!

No problem, here's the JP version thread on GAF: The Official Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor Thread of Probably Not Surviving a Lot
Posters to pay attention to for good impressions: RevenantKioku, chicken_ramen, Doctor_No

What is Atlus spoiling us with this time around?

I have some bad news. It seems there will be no spoils of any sort for this game, which may be a bit of a surprise. Not sure why (I still think it's due to a lack of anything special with the release in Japan, but I don't know), but it's ok. That shouldn't dissuade you from giving the game a shot.

Is that all?
Well, the game has good ole demons, demon auctions, multiple endings, and a girl who seems to be quite top heavy. Always a fun time.

Ok, let's start getting the hype out! This will hold you over until you get another dose of SMT with Persona PSP in September!

NichM

Banned
Thanks for making the thread! I believe the official website should be massively updated very soon.

Volcynika

NichM said:
Thanks for making the thread! I believe the official website should be massively updated very soon.

:lol

I was wondering when the site would be updated the whole time I was getting stuff from it, seemed a little dry with only a week away. :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Here's the write up I did and posted in the Official Japanese Release thread.
This is pretty much the only SRPG I have ever really enjoyed, never mind finished.

So, I finally finished the game laying in my hotel room Tuesday night while my girlfriend was bathing with a bunch of wrinkly old women. Culture, eh? But I was on the final battle before she left and I only finished it moments before she returned almost an hour later. It was a hell of a fight but it really sent me off with loving impressions of the games. Hell, I almost want to play another Strategy RPG right now. And if you know how much I despise the things, that should speak something to you. (Hint: If you do not know, I hate them. So very much. It pained me to pick this game up thinking I would hate it very much.)

So why do I hate most SRPGs yet enjoy Devil Survivor so much?

The first big point that Devil Survivor wins me over with is no permanent death. Being rather OCD in my game playing, losing a character I worked on and gaining nothing out of that loss is just a big hassle. The amount of times I have restarted, say, Fire Emblem battles in order to not lose a character borders on the maddening and I have never even finished a Fire Emblem game. But that's not to say I didn't restart battles in Devil Survivor. In fact, there is something that can be "missed out" on (Albeit not so badly.) in the battles and that is the unlockable skills. All playable human characters in the game use skills from a pool of skills that are unlocked by targeting a specific player unit to destroy a specific enemy unit holding that skill. In another way any other game shows itself to be better designed than Final Fantasy 12, only one skill can be assigned to one human character on the time. This limitation forced me to create some interesting parties based around the different human characters. Heck, I spent far too much time crafting unique parties tailored to abusing certain skills (As much as a skill can be abused in a Megami Tensei game, which is to say not much.) It was definitely a blast.

But yeah, that's right. Parties. Each unit on the field is better called a party that is comprised of up to 3 different characters. The player's parties are made with a human lead and up to two additional support demons. When two units fight, the game switches to a turn based battle that anyone familiar to the Megami Tensei series will feel right at home with. Critical hits and targeting weak points lead to extra turns for either side of the battle. Extra turns can also be had from the start of the battle if the speed of the characters is significantly higher. Later on there is an Extra Turn skill that guarantees one for that character. (Whether or not that one can be cancelled, I don't know. I never actually used that skill.) Extra turns can be cancelled by, of course, eliminating that character or by either inflicting a status effect that restricts action or making the character lose their extra turn by hitting their weak point. Now the thing about these Extra Turns that I didn't quite figure out is why they are not guaranteed to be granted or taken away and getting them or canceling them, more so the canceling, seemed to be harder later on in in the game. That said, the lack of a guarantee did indeed add a good bit of excitement to the game.

So filling up the 8 demons slots (Once a fourth character joins. And while I'm sure they exist, only the truly mad wouldn't pack as many demons as possible.) isn't too different from the expected. Getting a stock of demons in the other Megami Tensei games tends to involve some sort of Talk system (Or just dumb luck in the later Persona games.) where the player must convince the demons to join their side. The thing about this is that it works fine with random battle games that has hundreds of fights. When the player successfully gets the demon on their side they leave battle. This wouldn't exactly jive with an SRPG so Atlus decided to go the route of having an "auction" system where new demons are acquired by bidding against annoying as hell AI bastards. That isn't to say that it's that hard to win most of the times but I found myself cursing a few too many times at the DS when I lost a sweet demon due to my final bid being too low.

The option to just outright buy the demon is available but logically at a higher price than the auction would tend to end at. I found the system to only annoy me at the beginning of the game where I didn't have that much cash. Later on I was able to afford a lot more for my various fusing and still saved some cash due to bidding well. Now since more demons are fielded in Devil Survivor than any other Megami Tensei game (Actually, I'm not too sure about the Majin Tensei games. In fact, how do you get demons in that one?) the game thankfully allows more than one of any non Limited demon to be kept in stock and even fielded. To add even upon that, the amount of demons

Anyone familiar with the Megami Tensei circle of games knows the demon fusing can be a rewarding yet painfully time consuming affair. Previous games required the player to try again and again to get specific skills on a demon and what exactly could result from fusing required manual checking. Both of these issues have been remedied in Devil Survivor allowing the player to both select what skills the new demon will use (Restrictions notwithstanding.) and consult a filterable list of . I would have loved to have a "What can this demon be fused with to create?" list but that's hardly a complaint.Truth is I spent a lot more time fusing demons in this game than I did in any other MegaTen game I have played. And the control that the game gave was thrilling.

Really, I have to say Devil Survivor is one of the best Megami Tensei games in terms of actually handling your demon partners. There has been lots of changes throughout the series, but most of the time I found it something I had to do rather than something I wanted to do. Devil Survivor was almost Pokémon levels of "gotta catch 'em all" for me and I hope these improvements stick in further Megami Tensei games and develop further.

Going back to my hate for SRPGs, a lot that I have played often throw in reinforcements or alternate goals midway through the battle. Devil Survivor was slower to bring these qualities into its fights but when it did it felt right as opposed to an excessive challenge. The ridiculous challenge was already built into it like most Megami Tensei games but the changes mid battle always felt to flow nicely. I never felt like I had been doing the "wrong" strategy by the time the rules had changed, although I have often felt that way in other games. And there is always the option to level up characters and demons or just tweak the parties. Never did I get stuck without a way to progress like I did in Final Fantasy Tactics way back in the day.

If I had a complaint it would be the amount of dialogue there is. There is a lot. A damn lot. And even more I didn't see since there were so many conversations and paths I never took in the seven days of the game. Oh, I think I didn't mention that. If you haven't read up on the game, it takes place over seven days in half hour chunks. The option to talk to people, fight set battles and fight free battles make up the daily options. Only free battles don't take any "time" so to speak. Everything else progresses the day by a half hour. Some events can only be done at certain times of day, and yes, that means that some are destined to overlap making you choose. I'm not going to give away too much but it's pretty clear that there are multiple paths through the game. At least the ending I got was satisfying enough to feel any replay would be because I wanted to, not because I got a bad ending.

I see a lot of people begging for Archaic Sealed Heat to get a North American release and I agree with all those who say forget that game and pick up Devil Survivor when Atlus releases it. It's a better game and it is coming to the North American market.

Do it up, people.

Macstorm

While I can't post my official review yet, I will say for those on the fence in pre-ordering this one, I would.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
tetrisgrammaton said:
the battle system sounds interesting, interest piqued
I think I forgot to go into field skills.
Everyone has a bunch of different skills, 7 max, and some can only be used on the field. Some like Dia can be used both in battle and on the field but each character can only do one thing in the turn it has, either before or after battle. So if you heal another party before sending the current party into battle you may be setting yourself up for danger if you take too much damage and don't get that Dia off during battle. Field skills offer a little bit more variety and power but of course can't be used during a fight.

MotherFan

Have this pre-ordered on amazon, really looking forward to playing this. Everything I have read so far point to this being very nice.

So imagine my excitement to learn that Devil Survivor has updated the old system in favor of one that lets us, the players, select what abilities we want our demonic offspring to inherit from their "parents." That has me leaping for joy and I'm sure you are too.

Oh shit that's awesome.

TheChillyAcademic said:
The guy I'm sleeping with at Gamestop preordered this game...I wasn't at all interested until I read the GI review, will be picking it up.
I see you like to have connections. :lol

RevenantKioku

MotherFan said:
Have this pre-ordered on amazon, really looking forward to playing this. Everything I have read so far point to this being very nice.

Oh shit that's awesome.
Bear in mind that there are limitations like before. Some demons come with more pre-selected skills than others, so that limits things. But it is infinitely easier now to get a demon with the skills you want.

Really looking forward to this, but I've barely enough time to play KitN right now and my exams are getting close, too, so I have to wait some weeks before I can buy it. :I

The length kind of worries me,
Hu? Is it supposed to be too long or too short?

Mudo

Preordered a month ago. I have learned quickly this year that at Gamestop, if I don't preorder these "niche" games from Atlus/NISA etc, they don't even get ONE copy in most of the time. So now I preorder all of the Atlus stuff, forcing them to get like 5 copies of it in lol.

About this game - I actually know nearly nothing about it. Megaten was enough to make me want to buy it, and the article below was helpful RK, but I need to do some research I guess and see what I'm getting into.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I hope this does well, I've been looking forward to it for a while now and it's one of my most anticipated DS games of 2009. Hopefully we start hearing more about it among western media soon, when I ask people why they aren't looking forward to it as well it's mainly because they don't know much about it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I hope they managed to capture the flavor of a SMT game. Thinking about it, most of the SMT games could be ported to DS with little or no change in mechanics.

Yaweee

I'm really looking forward to this, despite disliking most SRPGs for the last few years.

I'm just hoping for two things:

1) No passive AI

2) That the villain doesn't have the same motivation as the last three SMT games.
It's what humanity wants!

I'm surprised how few reviews are out there so far. Most of the other SMT games have at least had a few prior to release.

Macstorm

Yaweee said:
I'm really looking forward to this, despite disliking most SRPGs for the last few years.

I'm just hoping for two things:

1) No passive AI

2) That the villain doesn't have the same motivation as the last three SMT games.
It's what humanity wants!

I'm surprised how few reviews are out there so far. Most of the other SMT games have at least had a few prior to release.
1) No passive AI, so you're good there.
2) This one's tough, because of the way the game plays out. You'll see.

As far as reviews go, I'm embargoed until tomorrow or mine would be posted already.

Yaweee

Macstorm said:
1) No passive AI, so you're good there.
2) This one's tough, because of the way the game plays out. You'll see.

As far as reviews go, I'm embargoed until tomorrow or mine would be posted already.

Yes! That's been my biggest beef with the SRPG genre.

And thanks for allaying my fears about the second point. I'm hoping the story branching makes a difference.

I hear that the main story doesn't branch until late in the game, but are there still plenty of smaller non-linearities strewn throughout the rest of the game? The time system looks like it has a lot of potential for replay value.

What about difficulty levels? Is there a choice, and is it available on the first time through?

Lyude77

Dang, I'm worried that this will get rare by the time I'm able to play it. I was going to try to wait til Christmas since I'm in Organic Chemistry for the next few months and will get Wii Sports Resort near the end.

You think waiting til Christmas would be a bad idea? Will it get rare like Nocturne?

Macstorm

Yaweee said:
Yes! That's been my biggest beef with the SRPG genre.

And thanks for allaying my fears about the second point. I'm hoping the story branching makes a difference.

I hear that the main story doesn't branch until late in the game, but are there still plenty of smaller non-linearities strewn throughout the rest of the game? The time system looks like it has a lot of potential for replay value.

What about difficulty levels? Is there a choice, and is it available on the first time through?
Well, define exactly what you mean by passive AI. Enemies aren't afraid to charge and attack you and you can control all allies, so I don't think it's passive.

The story point is really hard to say. The branching paths mean your path is decided as you go AND at the end of the game. Since there is no exploration, it's all menu based area selection, it's tough to call it non-linear really. Your decisions matter. Who you talk to or when you talk to them might mean you can do more with them later or that they end up dead. The choices and paths are much stronger than the overall plot, as most of the game is more of a race against time than against someone.

Difficulty is fairly well balanced till the end of the game. Then you get to pick how hard you want it. Each path has an increasing level of challenge, so just take care on your first playthrough. I'd give more details, but it would be spoilerish.

Volcynika

Lyude77 said:
Dang, I'm worried that this will get rare by the time I'm able to play it. I was going to try to wait til Christmas since I'm in Organic Chemistry for the next few months and will get Wii Sports Resort near the end.

You think waiting til Christmas would be a bad idea? Will it get rare like Nocturne?

Ehhhhhh.

I'm not sure how limited it'll end up being, because it does carry the SMT name with the title, but this is the first SMT game of this type (DS) to reach shores here. I'm not sure how big the shipments are going to be, but if it's any consolation, Persona 4 is still readily available on Amazon half a year later! :p

Since the DS is still alive and kickin well, I'd bet you'd still be able to get it around then. Don't 100% believe that though, that's just what I think.

Yaweee

Macstorm said:
Well, define exactly what you mean by passive AI. Enemies aren't afraid to charge and attack you and you can control all allies, so I don't think it's passive.

The story point is really hard to say. The branching paths mean your path is decided as you go AND at the end of the game. Since there is no exploration, it's all menu based area selection, it's tough to call it non-linear really. Your decisions matter. Who you talk to or when you talk to them might mean you can do more with them later or that they end up dead. The choices and paths are much stronger than the overall plot, as most of the game is more of a race against time than against someone.

Difficulty is fairly well balanced till the end of the game. Then you get to pick how hard you want it. Each path has an increasing level of challenge, so just take care on your first playthrough. I'd give more details, but it would be spoilerish.

Thanks for the information.

What I mean by passive AI in SRPGs is that enemies won't move until you get within a certain radius, at which point they'll start moving to attack. It usually just makes fights a slow methodical crawl across the map, picking off enemies one by one. I find that sort of gameplay very unsatisfying.

depward

I'm a SMT whore but I can't get over the SRPG elements (HAAAATE SPRGs)... so I may have to pass.

Same with Valkyrie Profile DS - HUGE VP fan, gave it a shot even though I hate SRPGs, and yeah, didn't click really at all :(

Volcynika

depward said:
I'm a SMT whore but I can't get over the SRPG elements (HAAAATE SPRGs)... so I may have to pass.

Same with Valkyrie Profile DS - HUGE VP fan, gave it a shot even though I hate SRPGs, and yeah, didn't click really at all :(

Well, there are regular battles for individual unit fights (I'm not sure completely how VP DS' fights worked), so maybe if you know someone that got it, you can give it a try :eek:

Macstorm

As much as I enjoy this game, it's hard to say if the turn-based battles will be enough to outweigh the tactical RPG side. I can say that both aspects are really fun, but if someone HATES tactical RPG, this might not push them over the edge into loving them now.

However, if you're a major SMT fan, there might be enough to make you want to try it at least.

If it wasn't for RK's and chicken_ramen's impressions and the fear of the Atlus limited print run I don't think I'd be buying this game. Even with those motivating factors this is still a purchase I'm unsure of. For an Atlus R&D1 developed title there's a lot about this game that comes off as derivative, the character art certainly doesn't help.

It's also 40$ in Canada, which is honestly a giant turn off.

MechaX

After playing Valkyrie Profile DS, I have a new distaste for passive AI. Seriously, in that game it was just absolutely horrible in the sense that it dragged out battles longer than they ever needed to be. Enemies would just sit there unless you are three tiles away, and you'll have to pick them off one by one and overkill them in order to reach another game mechanic requriement. Hell, with one spell that you get that poisons every enemy on the battle field, battles are made even easier as the AI will not move and will usually not cure it. Even bosses will sit there as the status effect drains their HP down to the single digits.

As long as Devil Survivor does not go to that kind of extreme, I'll be happy enough.

MechaX said:
After playing Valkyrie Profile DS, I have a new distaste for passive AI. Seriously, in that game it was just absolutely horrible in the sense that it dragged out battles longer than they ever needed to be. Enemies would just sit there unless you are three tiles away, and you'll have to pick them off one by one and overkill them in order to reach another game mechanic requriement. Hell, with one spell that you get that poisons every enemy on the battle field, battles are made even easier as the AI will not move and will usually not cure it. Even bosses will sit there as the status effect drains their HP down to the single digits.

As long as Devil Survivor does not go to that kind of extreme, I'll be happy enough.

It doesn't reach VP DS levels to be sure, Jesus that had to be one of the worst RPGs I've played in years.

Macstorm

MechaX said:

Devil Survivor is NOTHING like that.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
About how long is this one? I'm a whore for SMT games, but I have Henry Hatsworth to finish and Knights in the Nightmare to start up, so I may put off picking this up if it's too long.

Aeana

TheChillyAcademic said:
It doesn't reach VP DS levels to be sure, Jesus that had to be one of the worst RPGs I've played in years.
You should play more RPGs, Chilly.

I personally really enjoyed VP DS. Enough to beat it again once I finished for a second ending, although I haven't finished it a third time for the third ending just yet. That said, the passive AI mentioned here was definitely a problem most of the time, and I really could have done without it. It was helpful a few times, though. :eek:

I fully expect Devil Survivor to be much better, especially considering that RK likes it, and he hates SRPGs.

Monroeski said:
About how long is this one? I'm a whore for SMT games, but I have Henry Hatsworth to finish and Knights in the Nightmare to start up, so I may put off picking this up if it's too long.

You're a fan and you'd rather start up Knights?

Turn in your soul -.-

Aeana said:
You should play more RPGs, Chilly.

I personally really enjoyed VP DS. Enough to beat it again once I finished for a second ending, although I haven't finished it a third time for the third ending just yet. That said, the passive AI mentioned here was definitely a problem most of the time, and I really could have done without it. It was helpful a few times, though. :eek:

I fully expect Devil Survivor to be much better, especially considering that RK likes it, and he hates SRPGs.

I play plenty, hush. I'm a huge VP fan too, I suppose my own expectations destroyed most of VP DS for me.

Llyranor

Heh, didn't realize there was such a discrepancy between JRPG and SRPG fans.

In any case, my GBA/DS SRPG backlog is already massive, but this is already preordered and will get in line.

Macstorm

Monroeski said:
Depends on the end path you take. If you go for the easiest one on the first playthrough, twenty-five hours or so. There is no in-game clock, but that was my estimate.

Volcynika

Macstorm said:
Depends on the end path you take. If you go for the easiest one on the first playthrough, twenty-five hours or so. There is no in-game clock, but that was my estimate.

No in-game clock? :(

Lately a few of my games don't have one: Last Remnant, Cross Edge, now this!

Oh well.

Totally should be a standard by now for games under the umbrella of the RPG genre!

Llyranor

Well, it's probably good for self-esteem not to realize how many dozens of hours are wasted on a specific videogame.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TheChillyAcademic said:
You're a fan and you'd rather start up Knights?

Turn in your soul -.-
I'm a fan, but I'm trying to put some effort into playing down my backlog before I buy MORE stuff to add to it.

I also have Devil Summoner 2 on my shelf unopened. Please don't hurt me.

Top Bottom