• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Africans in Russia ( Yeah...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Africans 'under siege' in Moscow
A woman walks past graffiti reading "We love you!" with a swastika mocking migrants
Many African students in Moscow are afraid to go outside

Nearly 60% of black and African people living in Russia's capital Moscow have been physically assaulted in racially motivated attacks, says a new study.

Africans working or studying in the city live in constant fear of attack, according to the report by the Moscow Protestant Chaplaincy.

A quarter of 200 people surveyed said they had been assaulted more than once. Some 80% had been verbally abused.

But the number of assaults was down from the MPC's last survey in 2002.

The report's clear conclusion was that Africans living in Russia exist in a state of virtual siege, says the BBC's Rupert Wingfield Hayes in Moscow.

Extreme violence

Many of the African respondents said they:

* Avoided using the Moscow metro
* Were also careful to avoid crowded public places
* Did not go out on Russian national holidays or on days when there were football matches

Many of the attacks on Africans were pre-meditated and extremely violent, the report found.

One Nigerian migrant interviewed by the BBC had been repeatedly stabbed in the back and then shot.

Another man said his attacker had attempted to remove his scalp.

Officially there are some 10,000 Africans living in Moscow, but far more are believed to live there illegally - many as economic migrants.

The Moscow Protestant Chaplaincy is an English-speaking interdenominational Christian congregation that has ministered to Moscow's foreign community since 1962.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8230158.stm

I've been of the opinion that Russians are the scariest people on Earth. Even scarier now that they aren't Commies. This only validates my assumption.

Back when I was living in Moscow, I remember reading in the Moscow Times, a couple of black people hanged by neo-facists on Tverskaya avenue (like Time Square or something)

AVclub

Seems like someone prefers their black Russians...
jt8lf7.jpg

...shaken, not stirred.

racist assholes suck :(

agrajag

Banned
^ That's some real bullshit. Skiptastic. First of all, I am a Russian, and I'm not scary at all. Second, I've never seen a black person in Moscow. Second, Russians are a lot less racist than Americans. We never considered people of other nationalities lower than human (in fact that was always something Commies liked to throw in US's face during the Cold War). Third, everyone in Moscow has been assaulted at least once, not just black. My mom got assaulted in broad daylight in public for having a "jew nose." The really big problem there is anti-semitism, if anything.

louis89

I've seen videos made by fucked up people (Neo Nazis etc.) in Russia of random people who are slightly darker than white sitting on trains or benches being suddenly assaulted and brutally beaten by gangs of skinheads. Some real fucked up shit goes on over there it seems.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
agrajag said:
^ That's some real bullshit. Skiptastic. First of all, I am a Russian, and I'm not scary at all. Second, I've never seen a black person in Moscow. Second, Russians are a lot less racist than Americans. We never considered people of other nationalities lower than human (in fact that was always something Commies liked to throw in US's face during the Cold War). Third, everyone in Moscow has been assaulted at least once, not just black. My mom got assaulted in broad daylight in public for having a "jew nose." The really big problem there is anti-semitism, if anything.

Apparently Russians aren't very good at math...

don't expect the government to care or to do anything.
the current Oligarghy's succss lies in playing to the the populist nationlistic pride and won't do anything that would diminish their stranghold on power to protect minorities.

instead, they will let continue happening and continue their ways to stay in power

Veidt

I am of the opinion that where ever people hate jews ( Who are just as white as white can be), they despise black people even more.
Really, black people are the most hated group in the world. It's a fact. There's no other way around it.

agrajag

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
Their fucking lost! You know how hot women half African and half Russian would be??

Please tell me. A very popular Russian TV host is black, I forget her name though. She's not bad looking!

Jibril said:
I am of the opinion that where ever people hate jews ( Who are just as white as white can be), they despise black people even more.

What do you base this on?

agrajag said:

Anti-Semites usually are racist against blacks as well...

Veidt

agrajag said:
Please tell me. A very popular Russian TV host is black, I forget her name though. She's not bad looking!

It's simple really, where white people hate other white people, for not being white enough. A black man should just:
1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

AVclub

Seriously, I've known a lot of people who were born or are second generation Russian. Every single one of them was racist in one way or another. That can be said about most people though. None of the Russians I knew went around beating up people they didn't like though. That's a whole different level of hate.

Socreges

Banned
agrajag said:
Russian racism 'out of control'
There's no racism if there aren't people who oppose it...

etc. It's very easy to find statistics and testimonies regarding racism in Russia.

harSon

Banned
I've heard of this before, seems to be a common theme in some other European nations as well. It's kind of sad that I have to take whether I'll be well received or not when deciding to travel outside the country (Hell, even inside my own country :lol), you'd think this kind of shit would have ceased to exist by now.

agrajag said:

Hate isn't rational? It doesn't make sense to assume Russians are anti-Semites and then in the same breath assume they're not racists as well. usually those two things are peas in an ignorant pod.

bionic77

Jibril said:
Really, black people are the most hated group in the world. It's a fact. There's no other way around it.
Yeah I agree with this. What I don't get is how people who never met a black dude before coming to America automatically hate them as soon as they step off the boat.

Zeke

I really want to go to Korea and Japan but I'm pretty worried about how I'll be treated being 1. American 2. Hispanic and 3. Having tattoos
bionic77 said:
Yeah I agree with this. What I don't get is how people who never met a black dude before coming to America automatically hate them as soon as they step off the boat.
media?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Neo Nazi Russians ? Maybe they should watch Enemies at the Gate and learn that Russians fought some long and hard battles against the Nazi during WWII.

bionic77

Zeke said:
I really want to go to Korea and Japan but I'm pretty worried about how I'll be treated being 1. American 2. Hispanic and 3. Having tattoos

media?
I am sure they will gladly take your money. They might say some shit about you in another language but if I were you I would take that trip and not worry about it too much.

I have gone a bunch of places and most places generally treat Americans pretty well in my experience if for no other reason than we spend $$$.

Veidt

Serious question. Why are black people so hated? It's not like black people ever enslaved Europeans ( or any other ethnic group) then took them to work on plantations or something..

I can't for the life of me figure it out. Maybe non-black GAF can tell me why people they know ( who aren't fond of black people) hate us.

I mean, when I ( Much like most of GAF I presume) look at other people,caucasian,asian middle-eastern etc. I don't get a feeling of hatred towards them.

So why do you think?

Jasup

NetMapel said:
Neo Nazi Russians ? Maybe they should watch Enemies at the Gate and learn that Russians fought some long and hard battles against the Nazi during WWII.
Naw... We all know European nations just sat on their asses and waited for the Americans to come and save them.

Purkake4

Banned
NetMapel said:

Not everyone remembers/cares.

Jasup said:
Naw... We all know European nations just sat on their asses and waited for the Americans to come and save them.

Yeah, the Soviet Union did an awesome job "liberating" the Eastern Europe.

harSon

Banned
Jibril said:
Serious question. Why are black people so hated? It's not like black people ever enslaved Europeans ( or any other ethnic group) then took them to work on plantations or something..

I can't for the life of me figure it out. Maybe non-black GAF can tell me why people they know ( who aren't fond of black people) hate us.

I mean, when I ( Much like most of GAF I presume) look at other people,caucasian,asian middle-eastern etc. I don't get a feeling of hatred towards them.

So why do you think?

Didn't know you were Black as well :p

bionic77

Jibril said:

So why do you think?
That is a great question, but I don't have faith in GAF to give you a good answer.

Prove me wrong GAF.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Considering Russia has one of the largest populations of neo nazis in the world, I'm not surprised. Honestly, a lot of Russians in Russia just hate everyone who is not ethnically Russian. You can't even say that they hate only non whites because of the widespread crimes against Armenians in Russia.

Unfortunately, a lot of people take this hate much much farther than it should be taken (assaulting and killing).

Veidt

harSon said:
Didn't know you were Black as well :p

We everywhere mang.:D

YDAER TEG .DETAITINI NEEB SAH NALP EHT,NAM YAD ENO ,ELPOEP ESEHT TEG ANNOG EW

Black people know that this is supposed to be read from right to left.

SUPREME1

Banned
agrajag said:
...I've never seen a black person in Moscow.

....Russians are a lot less racist than Americans.

My mom got assaulted in broad daylight in public for having a "jew nose." The really big problem there is anti-semitism, if anything.

The fact that you NEVER saw a black person in Russia might have to do with them knowing better than to GO to Russia.

:lol

Socreges

Banned
Jibril said:

So why do you think?
Over generations peoples (Americans, Russians, whomever) have been taught to think of black people either as criminals or as inferiors. They're seen as others, less human, and a target of hatred. I'd suppose this is because of a concept of Africa as a primitive land, because of its instability, because of previous colonization (and the dominant attitudes produced from that), and the unconscious perception of their dark skin being somehow evil or sub-human.

You can get more specific and historical in trying to explain this.

This is no longer the prevailing mindset in many countries (or current generations in many countries), though.

Have you really not heard such an explanation before?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Jibril said:
Africans had no qualms hunting down people from different tribes/ethnic groups (blacks or European explorers/sailors) and selling them for profit. It became quite a business in some parts of the continent, actually. This only came to a stop when the Scramble for Africa erased the middle man.

SUPREME1

Banned
Jibril said:

So why do you think?

Big black monster cock envy.

harSon

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Africans had no qualms hunting down people from different tribes/ethnic groups (blacks or European explorers/sailors) and selling them for profit. This only came to a stop when the scramble for Africa erased the middle man.

So people hate Blacks because they sold their own for profit? I've been living a lie!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Jibril said:

So why do you think?

I have some senior family members who hate blacks because they believe the negative racial stereotypes that are unfortunately associated with them. They think that all blacks are troublemaking gangsters with their pants half way down their legs looking to scam people.

I mean I love them, but they honestly need to let go of this mentality ASAP. We(as in the young kids of the family) have had a lot of arguments with them about not hating black people, but they refuse to listen/learn. Atleast my grandpa also understands where we're coming from and hates it when people hate blacks for no reason at all.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
agrajag said:

You've never seen a black person in Moscow because they're scared shitless. Russia has one of the highest neo-nazi/skinhead populations in the world.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
harSon said:
So people hate Blacks because they sold their own for profit? I've been living a lie!
I just wanted to correct that part of his post. I personally have no answer to that question, just a number of suppositions.

Jibril said:

So why do you think?

Humans emulate their environement.

if a kid is brought up by parents who harbor some type of prejudice towards a certain kind; it is very likely that that kid will believe the same when growing up.

School kid brings his parents' prejudices to school, meets up with other kids who coincidently share the same. In numbers, they get worse.

Lack of divirsity also creates a bigger fear of the ''others'', creating assumptoons and over-generalities to define a minority.

Ubber-patriotism, ubber-nationialism is not just about being proud of the flag, nation but also to protect from ''outsiders'' who would taint the perfection of the mother-land.

bad education

alcohol vodka vodka vodka

looking inwards and having an isolationistic view point of being weary of the outside world

Veidt

Socreges said:
Over generations peoples (Americans, Russians, whomever) have been taught to think of black people either as criminals or as inferiors. They're seen as others, less human, and a target of hatred. I'd suppose this is because of a concept of Africa as a primitive land, because of its instability, because of previous colonization (and the dominant attitudes produced from that), and the unconscious perception of their dark skin being somehow evil or sub-human.

You can get more specific and historical in trying to explain this.

This is no longer the prevailing mindset in many countries (or current generations in many countries), though.

Have you really not heard such an explanation before?

Good explanation :)
But why get that image initially? What makes them see that dark skin as sub-human? Dark skin isn't an detrimental , quite the opposite. Looking at evolutionary perspective, it adds to the ability to survive. Which in turn means, that humans should be attracted to it or at least see it as an enhancement. Why is it having an opposite effect on these people?

GSG Flash said:
I have some senior family members who hate blacks because they believe the negative racial stereotypes that are unfortunately associated with them. They think that all blacks are troublemaking gangsters with their pants half way down their legs looking to scam people.

I mean I love them, but they honestly need to let go of this mentality ASAP. We(as in the young kids of the family) have had a lot of arguments with them about not hating black people, but they refuse to listen/learn. Atleast my grandpa also understands where we're coming from and hates it when people hate blacks for no reason at all.

Your grandpa sounds awesome, he's someone I can smoke a pipe with.

Enosh

fun fact: not the whole world is a "melting pod" like the USA. Overall racism is a much bigger problem, not only in Russia, but basicly everywhere in Europe than it is in the USA. Minorities in Europe are preaty much throwen in ghetos have a hard time getting jobs and aren't seen as "insert nationality of the country they are in" even if they behave like they are fully assimilated. In the US you are seen as american if you behave like one. In Europe you are seen as European if you have the family tree to prove it, fully assimilated immigrants aren't accepted in Europe by as many % of people like they would be in the US

it's a cultural thing

Jibril said:
Good explanation :)
But why get that image initially? What makes them see that dark skin as sub-human? Dark skin isn't an detrimental , quite the opposite. Looking at evolutionary perspective, it adds to the ability to survive. Which in turn means, that humans should be attracted to it or at least see it as an enhancement. Why is it having an opposite effect on these people?

what?
no...
atleast not in a European climate
dark skin in a European climate can't produce a sufficient amount of Vitamin D, light skin on the other hand can. people of dark skin need a longer time in the sun to produce the same amount of vitamin D that lighter skined people can, which is good in a climate with lots of sun, it kinda gets fucked up if the climate has long harsh winters

the post above me is just one big LOL. Prove me racism is dead in America and I will believe half of the bullshit you've just said

Jasup said:

sarcasmIhope

harSon

Banned
To answer the question, humans are simply capable of horrid things, had the roles been flipped (Africa being the economic super power in place of Europe), I'm sure we'd be in a similar situation, only with Whites being ill treated instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom