• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandwidth caps be damned! GAF's thread for Digital Distribution Deals

fatty

NOTE: Right now I've just been updating the last page of the post as it seems people just go there to see the latest deals and it is a bit easier on me. If it helps having the OP constantly updated then let me know and if enough people still want it updated I will continue to do so.

With all of the individual threads for XBLA, Steam, Gog.com, etc., it's getting hard to keep up with all of the gaming deals to be had out there. It's even easier then to overlook some of the other sites that don't get as much love like gamersgate.com and direct2drive.com.

This thread is an attempt to consolidate all of this and of course to get others' opinions on these titles. Add deals as you see them and I'll do my best to keep the OP updated.

Steam:
steamLogo.jpg

Official STEAM thread of announcements, updates and WIN.

GOG.com:
gog_logo.png

GOG.com - which classic PC games are worth getting?

Beneath A Steel Sky - Free

Xbox Live:
XBLALogo.jpg

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Click to see current Impulse games on sale

PSN:
psn-logo.jpg

Official PSPMinis Thread

Direct2Drive:
d2dlogo.jpg

Gamersgate:
gamersgate_logo.jpg

http://www.gamersgate.com/offers

Also be sure to check the last pages of the thread as JosephMerrick constantly updates us with new deals.

Other Digital Distribution Services available (Be sure to check these out every so often, thanks goes to Obsolete Observation for the info):

Obsolete Observation said:
How about adding these to the list:

Amazon game downloads They have deals from time to time. They had a bunch of $.98 games this week and you could get a free game for purchasing them. Right now they're giving away Cake Mania free with Cake Mania return to the Bakery. And Big Kahuna Reef is still free.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Downloads/b/ref=sv_vg_6?ie=UTF8&node=979455011

BigFish Games All games on their site are only $6.99, and they have some really good games like Plants Vs Zombies on there. They've been doing $2.99 daily deals for a few weeks now, and they're holding an october sale where you get a free game if you buy 6 games. If you check cheap ass gamer you can find a thread where you can get about a dozen games free from big fish games, that is if those offers are still valid.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/
OP Edit: CAG link - Big Fish Games $2.99 Game Of The Day
OP Edit: CAG link - UPDATED!!! FREE DOWNLOADS FROM BIG FISH

Shockwave This site also offers their games for $6.99, but in addition they offer subscription based services that allows you to play hundreds-thousands of games similar to gametap but focusing on casual gaming.

http://www.shockwave.com/home.jsp

Play Greenhouse This site doesn't seem to update much or hold many sales but it is a digital distribution platform. I got And Yet It Moves from here when they offered it on sale.

http://www.playgreenhouse.com/

Gametap is a great service that offers a continually changing selection of free games to play, and has a subscription based service that allows you to play hundreds-thousands of more games.

http://www.gametap.com/

Mik2121

If you are going to do a thread like this, it would be better if you have PSN and iPhone deals as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mik2121 said:
If you are going to do a thread like this, it would be better if you have PSN and iPhone deals as well.

PSN, yeah, but iPhone...definitely not. There are way too many apps to keep track of.

fatty

Metal Gear?! said:
This Blog

http://www.robothobo.com/ddd/

Is a fantastic site that posts every PC digital distribution deal (North America-based)

Great link, thanks.

Mik2121 said:

That is the intent, to include all DD gaming deals.

zoku88 said:
Impulse also has weekly deals

(weekly impulse buys)

http://www.impulsedriven.com/

Awesome, did not know about this. Thanks! I will have these up by the end of the day.

fatty

Impulse deals added.

Aselith said:
I would suggest only leaving current deals in the OP or this is going to become a mess very quickly.

Yep, that is the plan.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
goddammit fuck at europeans getting stiffed out of ubi's 1/2 price impulse deals.

ghst said:
goddammit fuck at europeans getting stiffed out of ubi's 1/2 price impulse deals.
kind of used to this on impulse. half the stuff is either europe only or americas only. also, I never ever even look at direct2drive-- pretty much everything worth getting is americas only.

time of shadows on the impulse list is the expansion to dawn of magic for anyone wondering. aka. dawn of magic 2. very average and limited but quite a fun action rpg thing. kind of reminds me of hinterland. same cheap feel to it.

epmode

Sins of a Solar Empire should totally be bold :(

I've tried to ask this in 2984690824608 threads now, but is the Impulse version of Sacred 2 gimped in any way? Lousy DRM or slow patching or something?

tiong_fi

Tried to buy Sacred 2 but was greeted with this wonderful message: " Sorry, Your cart contains an item which you cannot purchase at your location. Please remove the item to checkout. "

Guess I won't be buying anything from Impulse then.

fatty

I'm currently debating getting Demigod, is it a pretty good single player game as far as an RTS goes? I read that it compares to the WC3 DotA mod, which sounds like it would be fun to play but I haven't tried it out because of the brutal learning curve.

Remy

For those of you who, like me, just bought Demigod, two quick useful notes:

1) If you're launching it through Steam, be aware that the Impulse overlay overrides the Steam overlay and you'll be alt-tabbing out if you need to chat with people.
2) Here is the manual, which I couldn't actually find through the Impulse interface. Given that there is no in game help or tutorial or anything resembling introductory material, you may want to give it a read.

Lothars

Well I bought both Street Fighter IV on Steam and Sacred 2 on Impulse.

I will be buying red fraction just before it goes live to get both Red Faction 1 and 2 but I am really tempted to picked up Dawn of Discovery but I think ill wait.

Bought Sacred 2 - Just finished a long download and now it is taking forever to extract files. I just wanna play!! Where is my cloud gaming?

I was thinking of purchasing Sacred 2 earlier on Steam if the price had dropped since release, but it's still $50. Glad I clicked on this thread!

EDIT: Impulse won't take my MasterCard. This sucks.

I was able to purchase Sacred 2 this morning. It's too bad I didn't know the game was almost 13GB. Nearly five hours after beginning my download I'm 85% complete.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
fatty said:
Gamersgate:

Sega Week: 50% off Sega Titles
Notables:
Medieval Total War Gold $9.99
Space Siege $9.95
Virtua Tennis 2009 $14.95
Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast $4.95
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg $4.95
Picked up The Club for $9.95 (it was on sale too).

Thanks for the thread man. Shit is awesome.

edit: And Gamersgate still has its stupid-slow download speed.

Goddamn it. When are they going to fix this?

fatty said:
Gamersgate:

Sega Week: 50% off Sega Titles
Notables:
Medieval Total War Gold $9.99
Space Siege $9.95
Virtua Tennis 2009 $14.95
Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast $4.95
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg $4.95
£2.45 for billy hatcher PC and outrun 2006, damn that is good.

Can I ask how gamers gate works, is there software I run like steam or is it just a download a key?

fatty

Diablohead said:
£2.45 for billy hatcher PC and outrun 2006, damn that is good.

Can I ask how gamers gate works, is there software I run like steam or is it just a download a key?

I haven't used them yet but I believe you don't need any software, you just download and activate from the computer you are going to play on.

From their site:
Will I be able to install the game on my new computer once I upgrade my hardware?

Yes, you can download and install your games as many times you like.

How many times can I download and/or install my games?

Any game bought on GamersGate is yours to download and install as many times you like. Some games are protected with an activation limit but that limit is easily reset with an email to support@gamersgate.com

Do you use SecuRom or any other protection on the games?

Yes, some games got some kind of protection. That is on request from developers and publishers.
However, the activation limit that may be on this protection is easy reset by an email to support@gamersgate.com.

ANY GAME BOUGHT ON GG IS YOURS TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL AS MANY TIMES YOU LIKE!

Can I download the game on my office PC and install it on my home PC which does not have an internet connection?

NO. An internet connection is needed to install the games.
If the target computer got a slow connection we recommend that you download and burn, or store in any other way, the downloads from a computer with high speed connection and move it to the computer with slow speed.

fatty

Reminder, last day for GOG.com sale (Buy one get one free on all Interplay titles).

I ended up picking up:

Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: Tactics, Sacrifice, Freespace 2 & Descent 3 all for just under $18.

NeoZylom

You should also add the Itunes App store. I know Megaman 2 and Resident Evil 4 for Iphone/Itouch are 2.99 instead of 5$ :) As well as Super Monkey Ball.

fatty

If someone wants to post quality deals for the Itunes App store, please feel free but it's too much work for me to keep up to date with them in the OP.

fatty

Direct2Drive 5th Year Anniversary Sale!

All $4.95 each!
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
X-Com Complete Bundle
Far Cry
Silent Hunter III
Call of Juarez
Empire Earth Gold
Sid Meier's Railroads!
The Settlers - Heritage of Kings
Civilization 4

So is there any reason not to finally jump on SC: Chaos Theory for $5? Any by "any reason," I mean any possibility the D2D version still comes with Starforce?

fatty

I'm tempted to get the X-com Complete bundle, it looks like a few of the games in the bundle are DRM free. I have the disc version but I'm not sure how well they play on Vista so I need to check into that but $5 for the complete set is a great deal.

Mrbob

I went to town on the buy 1 get 1 free GOG interplay deal. So many classic pc games worth owning from them.

I also picked up the sins bundle....been playing it online with a friend it is great fun. Epic space battles.

I almost bought Sacred 2, but I'll wait on a steam sale first. It is going $19.99 everywhere on the PC anyway! I could always pick up a retail box but I'm about the DD nowadays on the PC.

Top Bottom