• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and His Blob (Wii) Official Thread - 2D Platformer Full of Hugs!

Volcynika

This is from lordoftherink, since he cannot post threads yet.

28ro9i8.jpg

--Basic Info--
Platform: Wii
Genre: Platformer
Rating: E for Everyone

--Story--
A boy and his blob must travel through Blobonia with an end goal of defeating the evil emperor with the power of jellybeans

--Features-- (taken from Majesco’s site)
*Experience the heartwarming story through an all-new, hand-drawn and animated presentation
*Transform the blob into 15 useful items by feeding him jelly beans
*40 breathtaking levels filled with hidden treasures
*40 additional challenge levels will put your skills to the ultimate test

--Boxart--
Blob_cover_final_E.jpg

--Release Dates--
NA: October 13, 2009
EU: Later (2009)

--Images--
abahbweb200008.jpg
abahbweb200007.jpg

abahbweb200006.jpg
abahbweb200003.jpg

abahbweb200005.jpg
abahbweb200002.jpg

--Videos--
Developer Walkthrough
Gameplay from early stages

--Reviews--
GameTrailers -- 8.5 / 10
Game Informer -- 8.0 (Second Opinion 8.75)
1UP -- B+
Cubed3 Review - 9/10: http://www.cubed3.com/review/775

From lordoftherink: "Thanks to Volcynika for the OP layout, jj984jj for the Pre-release thread to steal the banner and video links from, and Firestorm for posting this"

Misc

Interview with WayForward: http://www.cubed3.com/news/13393

Thanks, Volcynika!
I would have done more info, but I haven't been following every detail of the game. Will be picking it up today (hopefully)
Nice that it's priced at $39.99

Host Samurai said:
I hope there are bosses. Will get this today with Uncharted and Brutal Legend if there are bosses.

There is a boss at the end of each world, I believe. The GT review shows a few of them, which I suppose could be a spoiler if you're that adamant about it.

botticus

Should be delivered today (or tomorrow if UPS continues to have issues) but I have another game to finish this week. Hopefully booting this one up by the weekend!

radcliff

The only thing holding me back is something mentioned in IGN's review. They said there are only 4 backdrops (forrest, cave, industrial, and something else). That seems like there is going to be a lot of background repetition.

-PXG-

radcliff said:
The only thing holding me back is something mentioned in IGN's review. They said there are only 4 backdrops (forrest, cave, industrial, and something else). That seems like there is going to be a lot of background repetition.

That's your problem right there. Buy the damn game and enjoy it :D Plus, it's only $39.99

HBroward

radcliff said:

The OP alone has six different backgrounds, so I would say they are incorrect. They may have meant there are only four different themes for the levels. Just a guess though.

MyEpitomeCliché said:
There is a boss at the end of each world, I believe. The GT review shows a few of them, which I suppose could be a spoiler if you're that adamant about it.

Awesome. Buying this today. Between this and Muramassa, it has been amazing for Wii owners..at least for me :D

jjgames

I haven't played the original in years but I remember loving it. I am going to order this on Amazon right now. $39.99 price is great and definitely sealed the deal.

stuminus3

Argh, this or Brutal Legend, don't make me choose!

I possibly want Brual Legend more, but this is cheaper. Shame about the $10 Canada tax we still have to pay even though our dollars are so close to parity right now... meh.

batbeg

This is Wiiware, right?

Okay, but yeah, I move to the US on the 10th of November, and will probably have this by the end of that week :D

zigg

Anyone who's a member of Best Buy Reward Zone and the Gamers Club (both are free, and useful if you buy at BB often): there's a free $10 gift card with coupon for this game, making it effectively $30. It's valid today through 10/24. You can find the coupon in the Gamers Club section of the Reward Zone website.

I imagine if you're not a member, you could join now and get all squared away before the offer expires.

Eric C

Finally an official thread. I won't be buying this until the weekend, but I can't wait to play it.

I've been avoiding alot of the videos, so I haven't seen it in motion that often. But I think the 2D looks stunning in the Gametrailers video review.

Picked this game up this morning and played it for about an hour or so. Thus far, it's fantastic. I love the art and presentation, and the music is great (the GT review had an updated version of the NES game's theme playing in the background, but I haven't heard it yet). IGN knocked it for the load times and controls, but I have a problem with neither. I do recommend playing with a classic controller if you have one handy. It's a little awkward to move with the analog stick at first, but it becomes intuitive quickly. And the only load times are in between new areas, and they aren't that long as I see it. If you're a fan of 2-D platforming/puzzles, you have no excuse not to play this. Even if you just enjoy beautiful 2-D games in general, it's still worth it. Very nice indeed.

ecierif

radcliff said:
There are four "worlds", but there are likely a few different backdrops in each. For example, pictures 1 and 5 in the OP are both probably from the cave area.

AgentOtaku said:
Is this coming to Wiiware?
I don't think a retail game will later be released on Wiiware.

Volcynika

If anyone would recommend things to put into the OP, please PM/post here (if people start talking about the game more and more, then just PM me to keep the thread all about discussion on the game), and I'll add it in sometime this evening. And if sending a review, post the score too, makes for quicker editing.

Someone help me decide between this and Muramasa, I'm going to get both eventually, but not right away. I've read all the reviews but I still can't decide.

CTLance

I feel like I need to post the fanart of this forums' own junkwaffle again: Here.
Not quite as cutesy, but awesome nonetheless.
batbeg said:
Well only 3D titles are viable for retail, right?
I know you're being facetious, but I want to strangle you nonetheless.

I want this game. So bad. Hug buttons should become standard in this industry.

Apocalyptatron said:
Someone help me decide between this and Muramasa, I'm going to get both eventually, but not right away. I've read all the reviews but I still can't decide.

WayForward needs your money for Shantae.

Top Bottom