• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and His Blob (Wii) Official Thread - 2D Platformer Full of Hugs!

Jezan said:
Mine did that....and then it died while I was playing :(

I called Nintendo, and since it was a launch unit (and I had problems playing Brawl since day 1), the repair was free :)

I love the art, I will get the game as soon as I get money :S (hopefully it will be this friday)
Hmmm. Its only doing it with this game though, so Im not sure whats going on. Ah well...

Game is awesome, and the hug...gosh, the hug. I never watched a vid of it so I wouldnt spoil the greatness, and boy was it worth it.

zigg said:
Anyone who's a member of Best Buy Reward Zone and the Gamers Club (both are free, and useful if you buy at BB often): there's a free $10 gift card with coupon for this game, making it effectively $30. It's valid today through 10/24. You can find the coupon in the Gamers Club section of the Reward Zone website.

I imagine if you're not a member, you could join now and get all squared away before the offer expires.
Just wanted to quote this to say thanks and hopefully drive a few more sales of this game. I bought it today but didn't have time to play it. I'm anxious to hug the blob!

batbeg

abstract alien said:
Hmmm. Its only doing it with this game though, so Im not sure whats going on. Ah well...

Game is awesome, and the hug...gosh, the hug. I never watched a vid of it so I wouldnt spoil the greatness, and boy was it worth it.

Certain games do come off as a lot louder. I've heard people point towards EA as particularly being one to look out for, though the only EA game I have is Boom Blox (which, yes, makes a ridiculously loud spinning noise). I've heard that MySims and Godfather also do it, though.

batbeg said:
Certain games do come off as a lot louder. I've heard people point towards EA as particularly being one to look out for, though the only EA game I have is Boom Blox (which, yes, makes a ridiculously loud spinning noise). I've heard that MySims and Godfather also do it, though.

USBLoader is everyone's friend.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
zigg said:
I don't really see why the GameCube controller would be an improvement for a 2-D game. Its d-pad is too small to be useful and the analog stick is pretty much the same thing as the Nunchuk's. I rather like the split form factor for games that don't need all the buttons a standard controller has.

I'm personally glad to hear it supports the CC though.
Well, I just can't stand using the split configuration for games that don't use pointer control. I can't explain it, but it just doesn't feel natural to me. It's like playing a game on an emulator using the keyboard. Yeah, it works just fine, but really, it doesn't FEEL right for the type of game being played.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I have a box of promotional A Boy and His Blob jellybeans. It doesn't say, but they look like Jelly Belly brand.

... I can't decide whether or not to eat them.

rhino4evr

Stumpokapow said:
So I have a box of promotional A Boy and His Blob jellybeans. It doesn't say, but they look like Jelly Belly brand.

I wouldn't, what happens if you turn into a ladder?

batbeg

Stumpokapow said:

Can I ride inside of you if you turn into a big sphere? Or on you if you turn into a rocket?

tim1138

Played for a little bit this morning after picking it up at TRU last night.
So far my only complaint is that there seems to be only one save slot. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Was there something I just missed at the title screen?
It'd be a shame if my wife can't play through this until after I'm done with it.

scitek

Jezan said:
Mine did that....and then it died while I was playing :(

I called Nintendo, and since it was a launch unit (and I had problems playing Brawl since day 1), the repair was free :)

If you call now, the repair is $80. Mine's a launch unit and the warranty expired in February.

Picked up the game and love it so far. I'll be diving in most of today since I'm off. I'll have a review up shortly after I finish it. Go time!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
tim1138 said:
Played for a little bit this morning after picking it up at TRU last night.
So far my only complaint is that there seems to be only one save slot. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Was there something I just missed at the title screen?
It'd be a shame if my wife can't play through this until after I'm done with it.

I think the manual says there's only one save slot. But you can replay previous levels, I think.

At first I was vaguely annoyed at the required use of the analog stick on the Classic Controller (the d-pad does other stuff) but it actually works out pretty well, and it's useful for determining how far to throw the jellybeans.

Really dig it so far, overall.

Eric C

I bought it today during my lunch break, and so far I only played the first stage, I'll play more later tonight. I kept stopping just to admire the backgrounds. I ran into a black blob once because I was staring at the background.

So far my only complaint and it's a minor one. Why couldn't they let you use the d-pad for movement, at least with the classic controller? Is there anyway to change the buttons that I overlooked? They should've at least gave users the option. I grew up with the 8-bit and 16-bit platformers, so it just feels very weird to use an analog stick with a 2D platformer.

Ocarina cheat codes added button support to Okami, and changed the button mappings for RE4. So maybe ABAHB can get d-pad support that way.

If it can't be changed. It's honestly no big deal and I'll get used to it.

Ericsc said:
So far my only complaint and it's a minor one. Why couldn't they let you use the d-pad for movement, at least with the classic controller? Is there anyway to change the buttons that I overlooked? They should've at least gave users the option. I grew up with the 8-bit and 16-bit platformers, so it just feels very weird to use an analog stick with a 2D platformer.
I'm in the same boat. It takes some getting used to - sometimes I feel like I need the precision of a d-pad. But overall, this shouldn't keep people from trying the game - it has a lot of charm and is definitely worth it (especially for those of us who remember the original!).

We need MORE 2D PLATFORMERS like this to defeat the scurge of 3D gaming
Worst "innovation" ever

Nabs

so... anyone else enjoying this? i'm somewhere in the middle of the second world, and really having fun.

-PXG- said:
I don't think the controls are annoying at all. This game oozes with charm.

i'm a fan of the control setup. i'm using wiimote+nunchuck and haven't had an issue yet. i don't know why matt (ign) tried to make the scheme sound crazy. it works fine.

dkeane

Just started on the second world - game is a ton of fun. The challenge levels are great too. I like playing games with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo so this is a perfect set-up for me.

Im on second to last section in the second level. Does this game get any more difficult? I feel like I'm just going through the motions right now, as beautiful as the game is.

zigg

Ericsc said:

What the hell? Seriously?

I assumed CC support implied d-pad, or at least a choice. Man.

stuminus3

So this beat out Brutal Legend at the very last minute (sorry Tim). I figure both will drop to bomba prices in no time, so I might as well get the one that's currently $20 cheaper and more likely to be hard to find in time. In saying that I'll probably end up caving and getting Brutal Legend by the end of the week anyway...

Can't wait to get home and crack this open. I'm sure it's going to be another Wii game that I absolutely adore but no bugger will ever know existed. It's been quite the year for that. :-/

It saddens me to think that their movie licensed game (Where the Wild Things Are) will sell more than this, if only parents were as educated about games as we are.

It's not the most marketable game. The logo and box just don't scream "buy me" unfortunately. I'm loving the game though. You can tell when WF's A team is put to the task. This is such a beautiful and clever game.

About 6 levels in. I really like the music and 2d art. I also like how morbid some of the boy's deaths are. The expressions on his face are great.

I'm really glad there's been so many good platformers on Wii this year. I think we can officially say the genre is back in full gear.

stuminus3

Played for a few levels, tried a few of the challenge levels I unlocked too, and I was right in my assumption.

Another gem of a game for the Wii's library that no-one will ever play.

That's like the 10th time I've had to say that this year... :-/

WayForward are definitely a company to pay attention to when they put out the real deal. I was coincidently playing Mighty Flip Champs on the way home, these guys have got some real talent when they're doing their own thing.

cosmicblizzard said:
I also like how morbid some of the boy's deaths are.
Yeah I actually got a shock the first time I had him fall several screens to his eventual death. The game is just so charming with it's cute sounds and hug button, it kind of threw me to a loop to see him die. Kind of like drowing Pikmin. :lol

Ranger X

stuminus3 said:
Played for a few levels, tried a few of the challenge levels I unlocked too, and I was right in my assumption.

Another gem of a game for the Wii's library that no-one will ever play.

But for the four of us it's great times! I will probably do my part and sell that game to a couple of other people. I'm getting more and more friends attracted to the "hidden side of the Wii library" if I can put it that way.

AniHawk

I'm gonna wait to open this. Got it with TRU and I want to make sure I can exchange my games. Plus this semester is eating up all my spare time (though right now I have a small little gap).

Ranger X said:
But for the four of us it's great times! I will probably do my part and sell that game to a couple of other people. I'm getting more and more friends attracted to the "hidden side of the Wii library" if I can put it that way.

Make that five? I played through the first four levels and their respective challenge levels. I love the challenges because they're like training courses where you can perfect the use of different blob configurations. One of them felt kind of cheap, though.
The third one I think, with the trampoline. I couldn't find any way to the top until I decided to smack the boy into the underside of the ledge, then bounce at an angle and (with luck) change directions at the peak of the jump, barely stepping foot on solid ground to reach the exit.
And I still don't understand how balloon-blob is useful. Parachute blob, OTOH, is good stuff.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i really admire the boy's bravery in hugging a white gelatinous alien that just emerged from a smoking crash site. i think i'd be a bit more reticent.

that's why he gets his own videogame and i don't.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this feels like the 16-bit sequel that the nes game never got. it's not overly complex, but it develops and refines the ideas of the original game into something absolutely polished and wonderful. the art style is beautiful, the sound is lovely, and it's just a blast to play.

everyone should buy it, everyone should play it. i really hope it has some success so we can see more like it, and maybe even get something like it on ds, where i think it would work swimmingly.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
botticus said:

yeah, i knew about it. glad that didn't happen.

i mean a GOOD ds game.

an addendum about how good it is that THIS is the game we got: ten years ago, if a sequel had been attempted, it undoubtedly would have been a terribly conceived 3d game for playstation or n64. or, hell, that might have happened as soon as five years ago. look at what happened to another obscure quirky favorite--this one from the 16-bit era--in TOE JAM & EARL. i would have much preferred a new TJ&E game in the spirit of BLOB.

imo 2d gaming is in a very good place right now.

Ranger X said:

Did my part here ;). Only checked out the first level (need more time!), but the game is sooo charming. WayForward is easily becoming one of my top developers this generation.

Davey Cakes

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm really glad there's been so many good platformers on Wii this year. I think we can officially say the genre is back in full gear.
So many platformers this year, and none have involved Mario. That's impressive.

Of course, I know that things are going to change real soon. :D

I, too, love how the genre is coming back. It was in limbo for a bit, there. I don't see how people can complain about Nintendo anymore when their two systems are responsible for keeping THE BEST video game genre alive.

Going to pick this up later today, but wow, the lack of Gamecube controller support combined with analog stick movement is really disappointing. If that's how the controls work, then the GC controller is the perfect choice. I'll probably just stick with the Remote/Nunchuck. The Classic Controller has a great D-pad, but I hate using its analog sticks.

Enough about that, though. This game looks really charming and fun. I'll probably play this first even though I just snagged Uncharted 2, Halo ODST, and Brutal Legend at the Toys R Us sale yesterday.

Captain N

My son will be 8 months next week and he just sat on my lap and watched me play this for a little while. I decided to start him young.

Finally got to start it today. Love collecting the treasure chests ala the Star Coins in NSMB. Graphics are beautiful, and the game has the right amount of challenge. Will be playing this one for awhile.

GWX

I've been playing this since yesterday, it's awesome. Great art, animations and presentation in general. Also, the controls work well (could use pointer and d-pad, but I'm getting used to it) and the level design is sweet: I'm only half-way through and it's possible to see that the game is challeging and well-designed overall.

Blob AI could be better and the game's missing a options menu, to control the VA (well, the sound effects of the boy) volume and stuff.

Planning to finish (not getting all the treasures, will do this later) this weekend. Busy with Machinarium too, so I'll see.

Top Bottom