• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and His Blob (Wii) Official Thread - 2D Platformer Full of Hugs!

nincompoop said:
Still waiting for my preorder to arrive, Fuck Amazon
Seriously. Even with the super saver shipping they used to be pretty on point in my experience, but my last few orders have shipped from the furthest facility for some reason (opposite coast). When there weren't any status updates for a week on an order that had already supposedly shipped I called customer service, and apparently they have some sort of system where they get Fed Ex to pick it up and deliver it to the USPS, and in the meantime Fed Ex holds it while enough orders accumulate to take to the post office as one giant bulk shipment. It's all stupidly convoluted.

I'll be pretty psyched when it finally arrives.

Ranger X

The Main Event said:
Did my part here ;). Only checked out the first level (need more time!), but the game is sooo charming. WayForward is easily becoming one of my top developers this generation.

They really ain't fucking around indeed. I love them.

Finally got it and played through the first four regular and four bonus stages. Right now the game feels like they missed a huge amount of potential with the controls. Being forced to move with the joystick is annoying but manageable, but aiming jelly beans with the joystick is turning out to be a huge pain in the ass. It blows my mind that anyone on the development team could have possibly thought that aiming with the joystick would be better than aiming with the pointer. Same deal with the parachute, with the way it was designed it obviously would have worked better with tilt controls (since moving the joystick changes your momentum rather than your position), so why aren't they supported? It's like the developers went out of their way to avoid taking advantage of the Wii.

Aside from that, the levels so far have been disappointingly short. and while they haven't been a complete cakewalk (I did die a couple of times on the fourth level), the checkpoints seem to have been placed insultingly close together. The game still has a lot of potential, but aside from the amazing atmosphere and presentation I'm a bit disappointed with it so far. I do like how the game is very unobtrusive, it's nice that it lets you figure things out for yourself instead of being bogged down with annoying tutorials like most games these days.

MoogPaul

Got a chance to play some today after picking it up earlier in the week. Beautiful game. I find it very relaxing to just sit back and play a calm game for the first time in a while. Price tag was nice too.

botticus

I'm going to assume I'm missing something really straightforward here, considering they hold your hand through the rest of the first world, but how do you use the parachute? I've done it three times on accident, but cannot for the life of me figure out when or how you hit C to not fall to your death. I was about to throw my controller after the dozenth attempt.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
botticus said:
I'm going to assume I'm missing something really straightforward here, considering they hold your hand through the rest of the first world, but how do you use the parachute? I've done it three times on accident, but cannot for the life of me figure out when or how you hit C to not fall to your death. I was about to throw my controller after the dozenth attempt.

throw jellybean
pick up chute blob
jump from ledge with b
press b to unleash chute
yell whee

GWX

botticus said:

Put the Parachute on your bag and press A on the air to release it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm going to assume that in the near future someone is going to write an Ocarina code to use with USBloader that allows DPAD control.

Are there games that have that?
I'd love to play Metal Slug Anthology with the Classic Controller...

The more I play this game the more I'm convinced this is WF sending Nintendo a subtle hint they want to develop a Metroid II remake. Currently in the third world (homeworld) and it's so effing beautiful.

Tiktaalik

This game is very much a sort of relaxing chaser for a period of intense gaming. Much like Flower on the PS3. It's a nice wind down game.

botticus

beelzebozo said:
throw jellybean
pick up chute blob
jump from ledge with b
press b to unleash chute
yell whee
Weird... I didn't think I hit any other button. Good to know I'm still terrible at gaming! Frustration eased.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
botticus said:
Weird... I didn't think I hit any other button. Good to know I'm still terrible at gaming! Frustration eased.

don't feel bad. i jumped off the ledge three or four times before i caught on.

zweifuss

evilromero said:
The more I play this game the more I'm convinced this is WF sending Nintendo a subtle hint they want to develop a Metroid II remake. Currently in the third world (homeworld) and it's so effing beautiful.

That would be quite awesome. But the current fan-made AM2R seems like a suitable replacement until that time comes along.

beelzebozo said:
don't feel bad. i jumped off the ledge three or four times before i caught on.
Even when I figured out how to use the parachute, I died on the
challenge stage with the wall lined with black enemies and horizontal moving ones at intervals
about ten times.

Tiktaalik said:
This game is very much a sort of relaxing chaser for a period of intense gaming. Much like Flower on the PS3. It's a nice wind down game.
mmm just like Super Princess Peach! I loved that game.

*runs away*

I finally got my preorder from Amazon today. :p Go free super saver shipping. So far I like all the things I thought I would like about it, but it seems a bit straight forward so far. I'm only like 5 levels (and 5 bonus "levels") in, so I'm guessing it's just because they're still introducing all the elements. Hopefully the complexity ramps up a bit as I go along. The parachute is super fun to use, so I'm really looking forward to trying the other powers.

The Lamonster said:
mmm just like Super Princess Peach! I loved that game.

*runs away*
Don't run away. There's a pretty strong SPP support group here on GAF. Quite a few of us even prefer it to NSMB.

Kevtones

The difficulty curve is quite nice. In terms of unlockables
are the lights going out in the second world a purely cosmetic deal? Or is there more because it took beating four challenge levels to get it...

Noogy

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Don't run away. There's a pretty strong SPP support group here on GAF. Quite a few of us even prefer it to NSMB.
Glad to hear that myself. Personally, SPP is my favorite Mario game in the last several years.

I haven't had time to try out Blob yet, but it's sounding awesomer by the minute.

-PXG-

Played this game while listening to Wu-Tang. Great combo.

I just go to
Blobolonia. Game is fantastic

botticus

Beat the first boss last night, that was good fun. Overall I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I wish there was a bit more platforming in it, but the parachute drops result in enough deaths.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this art style would work so well for a GOONIES 3. i guess the movie license would probably be a big pain in the ass to get though.

upandaway

Well, nothing. I don't know what's wrong with the disc but the 3rd level of the 2nd world is screwed up. When I open it with USB Loader there's no sound, and if I want to get out of it (through a tree stump, pause menu or the goal) my Wii freezes. When I open it with Gecko, when I enter the stage my Wii doesn't respond to my controller. For the record, all other levels and the hideout work perfectly.
I'm basically screwed out of getting the extra stage for that particular one. Will anyone be nice enough to upload a save file where he got all chests in that level?
Because I use the NTSC version, does anyone know of an issue with just using someone else's save file of the same region on a PAL Wii?

Look at that, there's another stage like that further on. This sucks.

Jme

This game makes me
__
__
__
__
__
__
________
______
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
______
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
____
__
__
__
______
__
____
__
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
________
__
______
__
________
__
____
__
__
__
__
________
__
______
__
________
__
____
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
________
__
__
__
__
__
______
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
________
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
______
__
__
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
______
__
__
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
__
__
____
__
__
__
______
__
__
__
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
________
__
__
____
__
__
__
____
__
__
____
__
__
__
____
______
__
__
____
__
__
__
__
__
__
____
__
__
______
________
__
__
__
________
__
__
__
__
__

Sagitario

zigg said:
Have you used a GCN d-pad?

I've... but that's not what we're discussing: if the Metal Slug Anthology can be played with the GC d-pad, then he can use this to play MSA with a CC [and its d-pad]...
If the GC controller option is joystick only, then he wont be able to use the CC d-pad...

Taxman

One of the WF artists here made this for fun one day, thought you might all enjoy it. It's been my wallpaper for the past 4 months. :D
Escape_from_Blobalonia_by_NickWoz.jpg

upandaway

Did anyone get the multiple-level reward on the Blob planet yet?

It seriously blows my mind. After about 2 minutes of trying to figure out where the hell do I go in there, it springs to my mind full force and I try to test it out, then, holy FUCKING shit, it actually works.

I must be really easy to satisfy when it's just a
sound test room
(spoilered so I don't ruin it for anyone), but shit, was I surprised. I totally didn't expect that execution. Damn incredible. If only I had capture tools I'd totally be recording that right now to show the world. It might not work on anyone like it did on me but I don't care, this made me forgive the game for the 2 levels I got screwed on.

Finally got around playing this today.

Just beat the first boss.

The games pretty good so far and I'm enjoying it.

Using the analog stick instead of the DPAD realyl isn't that bad.

My only complaints so far are no pointer capabilities and motion controller use (can think of some nice uses). As well as the game just being lower production overall (what's with those shitty backgrounds? And the music?)

BDGAME

Is this game ignored for gaf or what?

It's look so beautiful and have a nice ambient. A nice game to any platformer fan.

BDGAME said:
Is this game ignored for gaf or what?

It's look so beautiful and have a nice ambient. A nice game to any platformer fan.

While agree with these sentiments, it's a pretty niche game. For one, it's 2-D. For another, it's an update of a somewhat obscure NES game that came out twenty years ago. I'd say it's safe to assume that a lot of people aren't familiar with the original. And if they are, they might not have cared for it then (I had quite a love/hate reaction towards it). And considering that it's Q4, it's pretty much getting buried by all the bigger titles being released now. It's a shame, because this is one of my favorite games of the year.

We should get N'Gai Croal to write an article where he accuses the game of being racist because the boy and his blob are white and all the enemies are black. That'll be a good way to give this game some more exposure!

I picked this game up during the Best Buy 3 for 2 sale and I gotta say I'm enjoying it so far. I've only beaten the first 2 levels and first 2 challenges. It is the first game I've played in a while where I actually had to take a look at the instruction manual to figure out what the controls were. The game seems to be very minimalist when it comes to telling you what you are supposed to be doing. I guess that adds to the style of it.

rhino4evr

im on the last world. I like the game in general. But I have to say the boss battles can be a lesson in anger management. They move so much faster then you do, and with "one hit and your dead" gameplay, you don't have room for mistakes.

I beat the bosses of world 2 and 3, more based on luck then skill. For god sakes the 2nd World boss killed me within the first 5 seconds the majority of the time I played him. Blob moves to slow, and Boy's jump is too weak to warrant these kind of bosses. I'd say so far it's my biggest pet peeve with the game.

Most of the puzzles are pretty easy, but World 4 has turned the heat up a little. I havent messed with any of the "bonus" stages, but I've unlocked most of them on my first playthrough. Do they just unlock concept art, or is there something more worth while?

How come the game doesn't have a real ending sequence? I just beat the final boss and the only thing that happens is he flies back to his treehouse. There's no credits sequence or anything. I was also caught off guard because the developers said there was supposed to be 40 regular and 40 challenge levels but there was only 38 of each. It makes it seem like the game was shipped before they finished it.

nincompoop said:
How come the game doesn't have a real ending sequence? I just beat the final boss and the only thing that happens is he flies back to his treehouse. There's no credits sequence or anything. I was also caught off guard because the developers said there was supposed to be 40 regular and 40 challenge levels but there was only 38 of each. It makes it seem like the game was shipped before they finished it.
Never mind then, just checked gamefaqs and apparently there's two more levels in the first world. The developers should have made it more apparent that there was still more content after beating the world 4 boss.

rhino4evr

just finished...overall Im gald i rented this, as much as i enjoyed parts of it. I will say the last few levels were really satisfying on a puzzle level. I wish more of the game was like that.

This game should totally be on PSN of XBLA. It would fit perfect as a $20 download. More people need to play it.

this is definitely the sleeper hit of 2009

I just beat this game as well. One of the most charming games I've played in a while. GAF, if you like 2D puzzle platforming, buy A Boy and His Blob!

Top Bottom