• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and His Blob (Wii) Official Thread - 2D Platformer Full of Hugs!

Sagitario

I finally started this game yesterday...

So pretty, so relaxing and so easy (mind you, I don't have any problem with that)...

I really like how the game doesn't punish you for experimenting with the beans...

First world done, 100%...

According to the Wii Message Board, I played 2.5 hours, but the Nintendo Channel doesn't register it so it doesn't appear on it...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just picked this up for $20 from Hastings--looking forward to playing it. Everything you guys have stated about the game make it seem right up my alley.

AniHawk

So I've completed 15 of the 80 levels.

I was kinda enjoying my time. I liked the exploration stuff of the normal levels, even though it was a bit slow. BUT HOLY SHIT THE CHALLENGE LEVELS ARE AWESOME.

Game is beautiful, probably the best looking game I've played all year (including the ones I haven't bought). Love how the first area is basically
a prelude to the original game.

Thinking of picking this up. Quick questions:

Does the challenge come more from the platforming aspect? Or does the challenge come from the puzzle aspect? If you can't figure out a puzzle are you stuck without a way to progress?

AniHawk

Freezie KO said:
Thinking of picking this up. Quick questions:

Does the challenge come more from the platforming aspect? Or does the challenge come from the puzzle aspect? If you can't figure out a puzzle are you stuck without a way to progress?

Both.

The main game is full of puzzle and exploration challenges. I like it so far, but it's pretty slow and kinda drags in parts. If you find 3 treasure chests in a single level, you'll unlock challenge levels. Challenge levels are basically all platforming/skill based. I've only played five levels so this might change, but they're tougher than the main game. Beating challenge levels requires you to do so in one run where the main game is more forgiving. Beating challenge levels unlocks artwork and stuff.

So far, the challenge levels are my favorite part of the game, but they're also shorter than the main game levels so far.

The platforming is way more challenging than the puzzle solving. It's usually pretty obvious which beans you have to use in any given situation. There were a couple of tricky puzzles in the later levels but that's about it. The platforming starts out really simple but it gets pretty tough by the end of the game.

JadedOne

AniHawk said:
Both.

The main game is full of puzzle and exploration challenges. I like it so far, but it's pretty slow and kinda drags in parts. If you find 3 treasure chests in a single level, you'll unlock challenge levels. Challenge levels are basically all platforming/skill based. I've only played five levels so this might change, but they're tougher than the main game. Beating challenge levels requires you to do so in one run where the main game is more forgiving. Beating challenge levels unlocks artwork and stuff.

So far, the challenge levels are my favorite part of the game, but they're also shorter than the main game levels so far.

This. The challenge levels are all kinds of awesome.

Thanks. I'm way more into platforming than puzzle solving. A perfect idea of a puzzle/platformer for me would be the original Mario vs DK.

I don't really care for games where you can just get trapped in an area for days until you figure out a solution. But if this game is about quickly figuring out the solution, then executing it flawlessly, that sounds like something I'd like.

soldat7

Only about half-way done with the first world and I'm loving it. I just wish there weren't so many hints. Beautiful game.

AniHawk

The ball rolling thing in this game is fucking terrible. There should be a way to make the blob go faster without building up momentum. Getting the 3rd chest on 2-4 fucking sucks.

Teknoman

AniHawk said:
The ball rolling thing in this game is fucking terrible. There should be a way to make the blob go faster without building up momentum. Getting the 3rd chest on 2-4 fucking sucks.

Doesnt A button accelerate?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started going through this game tonight, got about halfway through the first world.

I'm enjoying this game more than New SMB Wii, which I also started today. The game is just such a relaxing and fun play. :D That hug button, is incredible!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Got this game for Christmas, just beat the first world (and all 10 of its Challenge Stages) earlier tonight.

This game is great. The 2D hand-drawn art is beautiful, the music is very nice and the gameplay is pretty rewarding (even if they sometimes give too many hints). Though one of the chests in 1-8 was infuriatingly difficult to get and I had to restart (by killing myself) a bunch of times because I kept screwing up... that kinda sucked, but that's the only time the game has really annoyed me. I've had fun the rest of the time.

I estimate the game lasts about 12 hours, BTW. It took me 3 hours to beat the first 25%.

AniHawk

52.5% complete. Hope to beat this by Sunday. It's frustrating in parts, but good in others, rarely great or bad. The second boss was probably the most infuriating thing so far though.

AniHawk

80% and on schedule to beat it today. Man, after the first boss fight, I thought all of them were going to involve clever puzzles with the environment to win. Nope, just rinse and repeat shit. Some of the challenge levels are a little too trial and error.

Overall my opinion of the game's taken a slight decline. The flaws were getting pretty glaring in world three, but world four has introduced some different stuff so far- especially with the closed spaces and the
blobless level

Vgamer

Just purchased this game at Bestbuy yesterday for $19.99. Really liking the relaxing laid back style so far and the 2d is really beautiful. I especially like the night scenes and the lighting. So far I am really liking it.

sphinx

the piano man
AniHawk said:
52.5% complete. Hope to beat this by Sunday. It's frustrating in parts, but good in others, rarely great or bad. The second boss was probably the most infuriating thing so far though.

where can you see your completion % ?

and does that include all obtainable stuff or just going through levels?

GWX

While I haven't finished it yet, this game is really good. Blob AI could be better, as could the "ball", the worst blob's transformation by far, thanks to the way it's controlled.

I'm hoping to finish this soon...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really have to find this title on the cheap soon.. between Wario Land: Shake It, NSMB Wii, Klonoa, and this.. Wii is really an excellent classic side scroller system.

AniHawk

sphinx said:
where can you see your completion % ?

and does that include all obtainable stuff or just going through levels?

I'm counting levels completed, which means normal levels + challenge levels. Since I don't move on to the next level without completing one completely, I know how many levels out of 80 I've beaten, divide that number by 80, and then multiply the result by 100.

Anyway, 100% complete now.

Game's good parts:
-Some very subtle and clever puzzles that are not hinted at and make you think. Little things like using an anvil as a stepping stone.
-Challenge levels
-The game is beautiful and the background is constantly changing. This is something that something like Splosion Man and NyxQuest could have benefited from.
-Transformations are great, especially the last one, considering how vulnerable the boy is
-Most of the normal levels are all right
-Pretty god damn lengthy. I think I put more time into this than SMG (16 hours)
-Lots of extras that are nice. Find 3 treasure chests a level? You unlock another level. Awesome. Beat that level? Unlock artwork and behind-the-scenes animation stuff. Very cool of WayForward to go the extra mile here.

Game's bad parts:
-preferential treatment to the bad guys. You barely touch these fuckers and you're dead.
-BOSS FIGHTS ARE BAD. The first one's cool, because you were using different forms to defeat it as part of a puzzle, but aside from the second-to-last, they're all of the rinse and repeat variety. The second one is particularly bad because of the need to get in the ball so fast.
-Replaying some parts kinda suck, like how you have to keep walking left to right at the second-to-last boss to actually start that fight instead of the game continuing from when you meet the boss
-The bouncy ball thing is terrible and caused so much death
-Some puzzles are literally leaps of faith. You just have to hope you land on the right thing (usually a trampoline) in some parts. Aggravating.
-Too slow of a pace sometimes.
-Load times. Especially when there are lots within one level. God.

Overall it's a good game. However I kinda felt like it was a weird combo of Braid and Splosion Man, with the slow pace of Braid and the "everything will kill you"ness of Splosion Man. Fortunately most of the levels are good enough that the frustration level never reaches the height that Splosion Man does.

Sagitario

Been playing today...

Completed the 10 challenges of the first world and moved into the second...

I love the trampoline :p ...

AniHawk

Adam Prime said:
Anyways can anyone compare this to NSMB if that's a fair comparison? This game looks really awesome.

Now that I've beaten all three games:

NSMBW: 10/10
A Boy and his Blob: 7/10
NSMB: 5/10

If you want to use IGN/Gamespot inflated scores, bump up each one by one number. In terms of platformers from 2009:

1. NSMBW
2. NyxQuest
3. Klonoa
4. A Boy and his Blob
5. LostWinds 2
6. Splosion Man

Looking forward to starting Trine soon.

Carlisle

Just got this on Saturday and I'm on 2-2 with all levels and challenge levels finished up to this point. Absolutely addicted to this game. I love the change of pace in World 2 with the more upbeat music and stuff. As soon as it started I had to dive in and just keep going.

Tons of content and playability here. I thought this game was gonna be a quick 5-7 hour affair, but it looks like I'll spend a good while on it. A steal at $20.

[Nintex]

Still no luck finding A Boy and his Blob in Europe but...

AniHawk said:
3. Klonoa
This was quite a surprise to me, such a great remake and it was made by Paon, which made me wonder why in the flying fuck Nintendo wanted them to build a Donkey Kong racer instead of a platform game.

Sadist

[Nintex] said:
Dimplus never dissapoints =D
Agreed, plus they will sell it for € 34,99 :O

I really need to stop spending money, I already placed pre-orders for T vs. C and Silent Hill SM at the same store both also for € 34,99

AniHawk

I Push Fat Kids said:
Good list, and I'd say all 6 of those are great games.

Yep. Even though I have some -serious issues- with Splosion Man, it did have a lot of good parts.

New list adjusted for Trine has Trine in the second slot. Or maybe simply tied with NyxQuest. Trine was awesome.

zigg

Been slowly enjoying this since Christmas, moreso since Rabbids started to bore me and so I put it down. Don't see that happening here. I've done a few stupid things so far, like thought a door was a pillar and tried to get over it. In my defense, the switch didn't look really switchy. :lol

Anyway, wanted to relate that the kids were watching last night, and my two-year-old was just sort of watching and taking it in like he does sometimes. It was time for him to go to bed, and he says "all done Blob game", similarly to how he usually does, heads for the stairway to go upstairs and get ready for bed.

Then, all of a sudden, he just stops at the entertainment center, picks up the case, and just starts chatting like crazy. "DADDY! The Blob is a rocket! You give him jellybeans! And Blob is a ball!" This went on for the next ten minutes or so as he was getting ready for bed. I bet he probably dreamed of having his own Blob last night. It was pretty insanely adorable. :D

KanZolo

AniHawk said:
1. NSMBW
2. NyxQuest
3. Klonoa
4. A Boy and his Blob
5. LostWinds 2
6. Splosion Man

Looking forward to starting Trine soon.

Thank you. As a platformed lover at heart I appreciate it. Where these pretty much the only platformers released this year (except for Trine)?

Well, I just finished this, with all chests found and all challenge levels completed. What a fantastic game; I really have to give credit to WayForward for making one of the best 2D platformers in years.

I'm really surprised how lengthy the game ended up, and I estimate that I put at least 15 hours into it. It's also a testament to great game design that I would get stuck for a little bit, play around with my abilities, and then find a solution (either clever or obvious) without pulling my hair out or resorting to FAQs. Interestingly enough, there's a bit of wiggle room with the puzzles: I checked some YouTube videos of certain levels after I had completed them, and we used completely different methods of solving puzzles.

However, I have to say that the challenge levels take the cake. Some of the later ones are just plain devious, requiring perfect timing and the use of all your abilities. It's quite satisfying to beat the game 100%, because you know there was some effort involved. Finally, I really enjoyed how they tied the unlockables to the main game, and I found the evolution of the art style and level/character design to be very interesting. Bravo!

JoseJX

Gamasutra did another one of their excellent postmortems on this game. It's amazing that such a quality game was made in less than a year by only 35 people total!

I'm also glad to see that Wayforward has gotten bigger and better as a result of this game. I've certainly enjoyed their output this generation, can't wait for more 2D gaming goodness from them.

Read the article here!

Marvie_3

Banned
Forgot this game came out. After reading through this thread and all the positive reviews, I'm probably going to go pick it up. :D

Mekere

There were some distributions problems, you can't find it at all in France for example so it's better to just import it. The hut has some copy in stock.

Olorin

It's also very hard to find it anywhere in the Netherlands, even most Dutch online stores don't have it, so I'll probably import it from the UK some day.

Mael

Mekere said:
There were some distributions problems, you can't find it at all in France for example so it's better to just import it. The hut has some copy in stock.

o_O is this some sick joke?
That's a shame, it'll have wait some time then...

[Nintex]

Olorin said:
It's also very hard to find it anywhere in the Netherlands, even most Dutch online stores don't have it, so I'll probably import it from the UK some day.
I found it at Nedgame last week.

I'm now up to the
factory
world and it blows my mind :O

Top Bottom