• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and His Blob (Wii) Official Thread - 2D Platformer Full of Hugs!

jibblypop

Banned
I finally picked this up after seeing this thread bumped a few times.. I love it so far! Only beat a few levels but I just love the overall feel of this game.. It makes me feel good just to play it.
I don't get that feeling from most modern games so this is a very nice treat for me.

*highly recommended to anyone that likes old style games more than most new games like myself*

jibblypop

Banned
Just finished level 2. I'm addicted to this game and just won't be able to stop playing until i finish it.
If anyone that worked on this game reads this: Thank you for making this wonderful game! :D

jesusraz

Starwolf_UK said:
The game is out in Europe on the 6th (tomorrow). I received my copy from GAME today. I've played the first 2 levels (and the first 2 bonus levels).

Anyway, I just popped over to say that Nintendo of Europe have an interview up with Sean Velasco.
That's very interesting as he pretty much confirms plans for A Boy and His Blob on a portable system...and given how Majesco favours the cheaper systems normally, it could well be a touch-screen controlled version!

I completed the game today, including all treasure challenge levels. Now that it's over, I still stand by my statement that this is one of my favorite games of the year. And when
blob got squeezed to pieces, I was saying "No!" But when he was resurrected as mecha-blob, I was saying "Fuck yeah!"

Volcynika

Been playing it some, haven't made it that far (1-5 maybe?) but either my Wii is soon on it's way out or the game hates it, lots of loading sounds coming through whenever it autosaves.

soldat7

Ha! Just found out it was delivered to my mail box yesterday. Gonna play after I finish
fraking
Metroid Prime 2.

jibblypop

Banned
Volcynika said:
Been playing it some, haven't made it that far (1-5 maybe?) but either my Wii is soon on it's way out or the game hates it, lots of loading sounds coming through whenever it autosaves.

Same here! the wii goes crazy and loud every time anything gets loaded. Oh well, no biggie.

Just finished stage 3. This game just keeps getting better and better.

Lan_97

Bought this at launch and finally got around to playing it. Finished World 1 and got chills during the transition to World 2. Amazing. Is there any way to revisit the transitions?

So I beat the
disappointing
final boss today. Overall the game was very good. The puzzles were great. The animation was superb. And it always kept me entertained. Wayforward has truly shown themselves to be a very talented developer.

Too bad this game bombed so hard though.

I recently had the opportunity to order this, and it should be in within a couple of weeks. I love the style, and I'm looking forward to finally playing it!

jibblypop

Banned
So I've been dying to play New Super Mario Bros Wii but I decided to hold off buying it until I finish A Boy and His Blob. I love this game and want to make sure it doesn't get pushed to the backlog once my girlfriend sees a copy of Mario in the apartment.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just got home for Thanksgiving and my ten year old sister told me she wanted A Boy and His Blob for Christmas...
*sniff* I love her

faridmon

The_Technomancer said:
I just got home for Thanksgiving and my ten year old sister told me she wanted A Boy and His Blob for Christmas...
*sniff* I love her
if all daughters were like yours, the game wouldn't bomb :'(

Damn, I'm disappointed this game isn't getting much attention, since it's quite good. I'm only at the second world, but the graphics, gameplay and sound make this an attractive and cohesive game. The nighttime scenes blew me away, and the lead-up to the second world is just fantastic. I also love the subtlety of the game's presentation, including the soundtrack. While traditional 2D may be "dead" on the console market (at retail, perhaps), I still can't believe more people aren't picking this up at ~$30. Anyways, some thoughts:

Pros:
- wonderful graphics, clean interface
- minimalistic approach to story, presentation
- unlimited lives / no continues ensure little, if any frustration when facing obstacles
- challenges to unlock after scouring levels for hidden chests
- neat unlockables, including art and development videos (could be more?)

Cons:
- no d-pad control, although analog stick isn't necessarily cumbersome
- too many "hints" (signs) for which power-ups to use, although this may only be in the first world
- load times can be annoying

Overall, a very strong effort from WayForward, and I hope this will be a slow burn throughout the Christmas season and into the new year.

Turnstyle

I picked this up last week, and after playing the first world I really don't understand why this game isn't getting more love!?!?

I think the graphics might be the best I've ever seen for a Wii game. The game looks like a cartoon, and the lack of HD doesn't hurt it at all.

My only criticism of this would be that using the analog stick can be a bit fiddly, and I've died a couple of times from this. Oh, and one more thing: Only one save slot!? WHHHHY?

Also, the hug button has to be feature of the year.

Sagitario

lordoftherink said:
1. 40 regular + 40 unlockable levels
2. Wiimote+nunchuk or Classic controller

Thanks!
I was mostly talking in terms of approximate hours, though :p

I just read Turnstyle post... 1 save slot? Boooo!
And no d-pad, even with the classic controller?

Farore said:
Thanks!
I was mostly talking in terms of approximate hours, though :p
I henestly can't say, since the game doesn't track time, but I'd say 10-15 hours as an estimate.

I just read Turnstyle post... 1 save slot? Boooo!
And no d-pad, even with the classic controller?
Just analog control, although I don't find it getting in the way as I thought it would.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just a heads-up to AusGAF, the game is AU$40 at K-Mart.

Teknoman

Turnstyle said:
I picked this up last week, and after playing the first world I really don't understand why this game isn't getting more love!?!?

I think the graphics might be the best I've ever seen for a Wii game. The game looks like a cartoon, and the lack of HD doesn't hurt it at all.

My only criticism of this would be that using the analog stick can be a bit fiddly, and I've died a couple of times from this. Oh, and one more thing: Only one save slot!? WHHHHY?

Also, the hug button has to be feature of the year.

You should check out Muramasa for 2d art. That and Boy and his Blob are great examples of how nice 2d graphics can look these days.

Will be cracking it open christmas day.

oracrest

Finally popped it in after it has been sitting on my shelf for a few weeks, and had a lot of fun in the first few levels.

My favorite is just interacting and talking with blob.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just got a Wii for Christmas today.

I really want to get this game, even more than New SMB. I didn't really like NSMB, well take that back - I just got bored and never finished the game on the DS so I'm thinking I'll wait for the Wii version.

Anyways can anyone compare this to NSMB if that's a fair comparison? This game looks really awesome.

AniHawk

NSMB is shit and I don't like it unless I'm going for the star coins. NSMBW is an awesome game I'm sure to come back to even though I've already beaten it 100%. To make sure my opinion on the DS game still held up, I started NSMB while waiting in line for a PS3 and got to the last level in that game too. I didn't like it.

I'm going to start ABAHB soon.

Teknoman

A boy and his blob is great, and New Super Mario Bros Wii is so much better than the DS game. Truly feels like a worthy entry in the Super Mario Bros 2d main series.

The first forest area is more or less a tutorial area just to get your brain working, so if you feel its too easy, dont worry. Game has a great soundtrack as well. Really surprised more people havent bought it.

1-D_FTW

I've posted this in a number of threads, but since this was bumped: It's going to be on sale at Best Buy for 19.99 starting tomorrow.

Teknoman

gabe90 said:
Wow, I totally want to jump in. Sadly I still haven't found the time to give NSMBWii much love and JUST started my first play through of Dead Space.

Also, this is retail? Kinda always thought it was WiiWare...

You've never seen this box in any game or electronics store:

lzHBTRNzqqzj4t2dENxd936jo1_400.jpg

jesusraz

Cubed3 Review - 9/10: http://www.cubed3.com/review/775

Interview with WayForward: http://www.cubed3.com/news/13393

Cubed3's Adam Riley: Are there any other Imagineering/Absolute properties you have been able to pick up, such as Battle Tank and Blob's sequel, The Rescue of Princess Blobette?

Sean Velasco, Director at WayForward:: Blobette is also the property of Majesco, so there is no reason she could not appear in a new game. Oh man, we have such awesome ideas for her! As for Battle Tank, I have no idea.

AR: Would you ever consider including a two-player element where the second player controls the Blob, so that parents and children can play together?

SV: Wouldn't that be awesome!? This was definitely considered late in development; a mode like Sonic and Tails, where a younger player could have limited control with the blob. We didn't implement it because the Blob's AI was already so complex, but I would love to do cooperative multiplayer!

AR: Considering the positive reception for the game so far, has this given both Majesco and WayForward the incentive to work on other 2D revivals?

SV: Absolutely! Working with Majesco was a blast! At WayForward, we love breathing life into classic franchises. I would not be surprised at all to see more retro revivals from WayForward.

AR: WayForward has now successfully revived Contra and A Boy and his Blob. What next? Is it totally out of the question for the team to work with Nintendo on something like a 2D Metroid revival on DS?

SV: Ask Nintendo! Super Metroid is my favourite game of all time. I would stack and clamber up a giant pillar of competing developers' corpses for the opportunity!!
Plenty more nuggets in the interview at the link!

EDIT: Thanks to Volcynika for adding these links to the OP :)

I don't live anywhere near a Best Buy, but thanks to them, I was able to pick up Metroid Prime Trilogy for $20 yesterday at Wal-Mart (price matching wooo) and this game for $20 today at Amazon. So happy. Can't wait to hug the shit out of that blob.

zigg

sfried said:
Where? WHERE?!

Best Buy.

I just price-matched my Christmas present today. Thanks, extended return window!

This game makes me feel pretty dumb at times, by the way. :D

sfried

zigg said:
Best Buy.

I just price-matched my Christmas present today. Thanks, extended return window!

This game makes me feel pretty dumb at times, by the way. :D
Thank. I guess your price match reflected on all stores. I just got it because of it and I'm loving every moment of it so far.

Top Bottom