• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz64

4038111479_a094dd205c.jpg

Download now: http://www.leagueoflegends.com

Developer: Riot
Platform: PC only for now
Price: Free
Genre: rts / rpg
Release Date: October 27th 2009

Features:
  • Play over 40 Champions with diverse skills and abilities
  • Create your own persistent Summoner avatar
  • Advance your Summoner in rank and power to gain skills and abilities that give you an edge in battle
  • Earn Influence points to unlock champions
  • Assemble Legendary items for your Champion by forging together runes.
  • Collector's Pack Content: 20 playable Champions; 4 special Summoner Runes; $10 worth of Riot Points for use in the store

What is it?
League of Legends is a free to play game based on dota. It is Riots first online PC game.

What is Dota?
A popular warcraft 3 mod called Defense of the Ancient.

What do I get for free?
You get 10 free champions. You get to unlock the rest of the 30 champions by playing games to earn Influence Points.

Official Trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEmQTE0dDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vKpfxHU6oc

Screenshots:
4038756744_f97eb316b3_o.jpg

4038756792_a54c23c56b_o.jpg

4038009307_b92661ea8f_o.jpg

4038756836_94e830c012_o.jpg

4038756848_d6f62fb5f7_o.jpg

Rayven

aka surume
Post your name if you don't see it in the list.

Summoner Name - GAF Name
Rayven - Rayven
Teknopathetic - Teknopathetic
eznark - eznark
J Rizzle - Jazzy Network
ExcelBeyond - EXGN
ScumbagBlues - Archie
Aesthet1c
sohois
oxrock - oxrock
bluemax - bluemax
Wuxtry - caromelo
Toonami99
LikwidCid
y2dvd - y2dvd
Siccar
Valiantine - VaLiancY
walras
Blitz64 - Blitz64
JoeFu - JoeFu
Tideas - Tideas
Humdinger VI
Halycon
HazamaIsTopTier
cwmartn
LGPounder - LonelyIsland
CheetoBandito
Meteorain - Meteorain
Dionysus22 - dionysus
Agent York - Mr_Guillotine
Mike Lowery - Acid08
Milabrega - Milabrega
SouthernDragon - FlightOfHeaven
MisterMysterious - Echoes of Pink
kiunch - kiunchbb
Soulking99 - Chopperman
AOD Croc - DrBo42
kurruptt - Ferny73
xcloser - brian!
turmeric - turmeric
taschen - les papillons sexuels
Doughnut - Baywatch
Mooshashi - Neutrality
DIKSMAKR - Shalashaska161
Tribalsoul - Herbspicesoy
Bronn21 - Jenga
Ashes2049 - Ashes2049
CrazyUtahraptor - HappyBivouac
Parris - CaptainMintMan
future42 - futuramaguy42
elpariente - Tater Tot
tehspookeh - Spookie
Dooraven - Dooraven
kenSK - kensk
Safeinsound - SafeinSound
Entwain - Entwain
Wesgb - Wes
Yulbyeung - YulB.Yeung
Merovin90 - Merovin
Diksmakr - Shalashaska161
SummonsInTrouble - Blizzard
Achtius - Achtius
Guy Buttersnaps - Jhriad
Necrophilosopher - Krovan
cdyhybrid - GoodMourning808
SweetTooth - 2th
Phoenixazure - phoenixazure

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
This game is pure win and for the most part the community has less of an elitist feel to it. Don't get me wrong, there's still asses galore but there's less than similar games.

parasight

oxrock said:
This game is pure win and for the most part the community has less of an elitist feel to it. Don't get me wrong, there's still asses galore but there's less than similar games.

+1

Nothing but good experiences with this game in Beta. I stopped playing though, because it's becoming a chore to Bootcamp to play it.

gillty

Banned
eznark said:
Do you find it has any impact on how you play the game?
yes actually I find it extremely unusable to a point where I don't even want to play the game. I've only been playing the game for a week before this new ui, but with the old ui everything was extremely logical and centralized. Although I use mostly hotkeys, this new feels very disjointed, everything is all over the place (it feels like one of those terrible ui's that I've seen in some peoples wow screenshots) , the text is too small, and a minor complaint the art is bad.

edit: i found this on the lol beta forums, ignore all the text the old ui is on the left.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8481/uisidebyside.jpg

eznark

Banned
Valru said:
yes actually I find it extremely unusable to a point where I don't even want to play the game. I've only been playing the game for a week before this new ui, but with the old ui everything was extremely logical and centralized. Although I use mostly hotkeys, this new feels very disjointed, everything is all over the place (it feels like one of those terrible ui's that I've seen in some peoples wow screenshots) , the text is too small, and a minor complaint the art is bad.

edit: i found this on the lol beta forums, ignore all the text the old ui is on the left.
I guess once the game starts I don't ever even look at the UI. There are so few commands that it's unnecessary. If there was a way to level up abilities without clicking the +1 icon I'd probably play with only a map (if that's possible...no clue).

Actually that comparison does remind me of one complaint, the XP bar is lame...but I don't find knowing how close I am to leveling all that incredibly useful anyway.

Milabrega

Who are the starter heroes? If there isn't Ashe/Singe/Teemo there will be hell to pay. Haven't played in a little bit, can you still Sunfire stack or did those whining few on the forum get their way?

Rayven

aka surume
Valru said:
but with the old ui everything was extremely logical and centralized. Although I use mostly hotkeys, this new feels very disjointed, everything is all over the place (it feels like one of those terrible ui's that I've seen in some peoples wow screenshots) , the text is too small, and a minor complaint the art is bad.

Actually, the old UI is on the right. Information is MORE centralized in the new HUD, the old abilities were way off to the side. Also, the old art was just a blurry stone texture on abstract shapes.

Font size, exp bar, level ups and meter size will be addressed ASAP. Jeez, thought I could escape the whining by taking a break from the beta forums.

Also EZ, there are hotkeys for LVL UP. Think it's ALT + the spell you want to lvl.

blitz64

DMPrince said:
is the game free? what is this $29.99 price on the site for?

Yes, the game is free. The $29.99 is the collector pack which gets you 20 champions, 4 runes, 2 skins, and $10 worth of Riot Points.

The 20 champions from the collector pack are:
* Alistar
* Amumu
* Annie
* Cho'gath
* Evelynn
* FiddleSticks
* Janna
* Kayle
* Malphite
* Morgana
* Nassus
* Rammus
* Ryze
* Sivir
* Teemo
* Tristana
* Tryndmere
* Veigar
* Warwick
* Zilean

The 10 rotating champions that free players get have not been announced. We will probably find out soon or on release day.

eznark

Banned
HeartAttackJones said:
Also EZ, there are hotkeys for LVL UP. Think it's ALT + the spell you want to lvl.

I figured there would be, just hadn't gotten around to checking it out. Thanks!

Arozay

I'll probably end up giving this game another chance down the road if it's gonna end up free, but didn't like the feel of it from my initial play of it. Graphics felt 'big' and UI elements looked wierd.

eznark

Banned
So I decided to pick up the Collector's Pack. Figure I've already put dozens and dozens of hours into the game, might as well support Riot. Since the store isn't up yet I can't enter the promo code or the Riot points card. Other than those two things, there is no reason to get the collector's pack. It comes with a poster that features some heroes on one side and a map of the world on the other. Nothing special.

Glad I picked it up though.

blitz64

The stats were reset for the last time yesterday. I played 1 game and I like the new UI better than the old. Still not the greatest UI and I can see that it can be improved.

I saw the unboxing pictures of the game. It comes with a CD? I'm surprise as most online games requires you to download the latest.

Right now you can play every champion. I wonder if they will change that tomorrow? I read the store might not be ready for a few weeks so we will get to play all the new champions until the store is ready.

eznark

Banned
So the stats aren't going to reset tomorrow? Shitty. I left my first game on accident yesterday when I tried playing from my laptop and the battery died. After dozens of games in the beta my first "official" game is a leaver...boo!

Darklord

Banned
Wasn't going to bother until it said free. It's not one of those games that screw you over unless you pay for it is it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Darklord said:
Wasn't going to bother until it said free. It's not one of those games that screw you over unless you pay for it is it?
No, you can get everything in the game for free (outside of a few character reskins).

sohois

I got into the beta a few months ago, but only in the past few days have i actually bothered playing. Its pretty good, though i haven't yet found a hero i've liked, and i don't like the item shop. But as a free game theres nothing better.

Bump. The store is semi-up. You can't buy anything, but you can redeem your collector's pack codes and unlock your stuff.

To celebrate the launch, all champions are unlocked for everyone temporarily.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've never played any DOTA style game, this looks pretty good. And, at free, it's just the right price to jump in.

Chromax

If you preorder the collector's edition from the LoL site, it's a digital download right? Anyone got the email yet with the codes?

Chromax: If you preorder the digital collector's pack, you only need to keep track of the email they sent you originally. That code (the invoice number or some such) you redeem inside the game. Just download the game off the site and go to the store to redeem it.

Archaix said:
I've never played any DOTA style game, this looks pretty good. And, at free, it's just the right price to jump in.
That reminds me, is there any sort of actual skill seperation going on with matchmaking beyond the simple summoner levels? There has been an incredible gap between players in some of the games I've played recently.

Also I agree with whoever was complaining about the new UI. The more this game apes HoN, the more I dislike it.

There is a separate (and currently hidden) ELO rating for players. ELO Ratings actually weren't reset for players past a certain threshold, so you won't see pros or even moderately good players (who aren't smurfing) in noob games.

Somnia

Jesus with this and Torchlight in the same week I am set...and then there is Dragon Age next week. Shoot me now guys, shoot me now.

"So I signed up. When it says download now is that the full thing or the beta?"

The beta client rolled over to the release, you'll be patched up to date (if the client isn't already).

Darklord

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"So I signed up. When it says download now is that the full thing or the beta?"

The beta client rolled over to the release, you'll be patched up to date (if the client isn't already).

Ah ok. Bummer it's going to slow. 60kb/s :|

eznark

Banned
Just entered my promo code from the Collectors Pack.

You will receive skins and boosts now, and be able to access the remaining content on November 17th when the store is available.

So, I guess we have a firm store date.

blitz64

I am also looking forward to random draft or single draft. Riot said RD will be added sometime before season 1 so probably Spring 2010.

I guess I have 3 weeks to play Ashe before they take her away. Hope I earn enough IP by then.

My account is Blitz64

Whenever anyone is on, how about going in a room called GAF so we can get a premade going? I'm in it now. There is no one else but it's just an idea.

I usually am in the LFG channel too.

Tideas said:
so do you have to buy runes with real $? Haven't found out how to get runes yet.

add me, Im Tideas

Riot has stated a couple of times that their stance is that anything that affects gameplay will be able to be bought with IP which can be earned through playing. I'm not sure if they will hold true to that.

Milabrega

Mister_Mingi said:
Whenever anyone is on, how about going in a room called GAF so we can get a premade going?

There are a couple of players in the Gaf_wfc irc, though its mostly ggpo/sf4 players. Server is globalgamers.net and channel is #gaf_wfc. Much more convenient to arrange a match than staying logged into one of those in game channels.

eznark

Banned
Mister_Mingi said:
Whenever anyone is on, how about going in a room called GAF so we can get a premade going? I'm in it now. There is no one else but it's just an idea.

I usually am in the LFG channel too.
Room, channel?

What?

Belfast

Damn. Gangplank kind of sucks until you unlock his fourth ability. Then, it's more like "Gangrape" (for the enemy, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom