• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Belfast said:
Damn. Gangplank kind of sucks until you unlock his fourth ability. Then, it's more like "Gangrape" (for the enemy, that is).
Pile everything into parley and he can hold a lane on his own early

eznark

Banned
Belfast said:
He can hold a line, but I found it hard to make forward progress with him until unlocking barrage.
True. I prefer holding a line and then barraging other lanes when they're retreating

Milabrega said:
There are a couple of players in the Gaf_wfc irc, though its mostly ggpo/sf4 players. Server is globalgamers.net and channel is #gaf_wfc. Much more convenient to arrange a match than staying logged into one of those in game channels.

Might be more convenient for you. Surely not for me. But thanks for the tip.

Darklord

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game so far. I'm glad it's free or I'd have never tried it. I've only been able to play 1 map so far, it picks the same every time.

Belfast

Darklord said:
I'm really enjoying this game so far. I'm glad it's free or I'd have never tried it. I've only been able to play 1 map so far, it picks the same every time.

I think there's only two, unless you can get the others by leveling up or earning points.

Urgh. I been in beta since August but wasn't able to play since 4 weeks ago
Awesome game with not so Dota-ish community.

*kicks shitty ISP*

Belfast said:
I think there's only two, unless you can get the others by leveling up or earning points.

Yes there is only two right now. You can't buy maps. The second map was just recently added about a month or less ago. They seem to have their priorities on making the game work then adding options.

eznark

Banned
Have you actually played on the second map? I've played about 20 matches the past few days and haven't seen it.

eznark said:
Have you actually played on the second map? I've played about 20 matches the past few days and haven't seen it.

You can only play it on practice as far as I know. On normal games, it makes it seem like you can select it on the map but it doesn't all ow you to play it. I guess they are testing it to see how balanced it is.

It's neat. Very quick paced matches. I played one and it lasted between 20-30 minutes. It's also nice to have a new environment with different strategies.

ToxicAdam

I finally got to play the tutorial last night and my first (bot) match.

Seemed like a slow slog. I could barely make any dent in the defenses of my opponent and he couldn't really do anything against me. Need to play more to see if I like it.

How long should a typical match last?

"Seemed like a slow slog. I could barely make any dent in the defenses of my opponent and he couldn't really do anything against me. Need to play more to see if I like it"

It's impossible to see how the game actually plays beyond a purely mechanical standpoint in the botmatches. I really recommend going into a MP game.

Typical matches last anywhere from maybe 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how close it is.

ToxicAdam said:
I finally got to play the tutorial last night and my first (bot) match.

Seemed like a slow slog. I could barely make any dent in the defenses of my opponent and he couldn't really do anything against me. Need to play more to see if I like it.

How long should a typical match last?

Play several games before you decide if you like it. Reason being if this is your first MOBA game, you will have a learning curve to get through. People start playing it and most times suck due to never play DotA or anything similar. Thy then quickly dismiss the game as trash.

Try Ashe as your first character to get accustomed to the game mechanics. Max her volley and frost arrow first while getting her ultimate spell when the chance comes.

/joke
/taunt
/dance
/laugh

are some commands for your champ to do something

/whoisyourdaddy was told to me by someone but don't know what it does. It seems to be an accepted command

mrgone

I'm just hoping that, now that the game's out and free to play, the elitist pricks will matched with their own little community of hate and bile and I won't be constantly yelled at in noob games for being a noob and fucking up their precious stats

Rayven

aka surume
eznark said:
It's practice only at the moment, so you won't get it by MM. You need to jump into a practice game or create one and at the top you can select the new map.

mrgone said:
I'm just hoping that, now that the game's out and free to play, the elitist pricks will matched with their own little community of hate and bile and I won't be constantly yelled at in noob games for being a noob and fucking up their precious stats

Tell them to make premades. Having someone not play as well you wish is always a possibility when playing online in any game. Plus if they were such an elite player, they wouldn't be getting matched with you as easily due to their ELO being higher.

Or you can tell them to give some advice on how to play. Jerks that do nothing but talk shit about someone, especially something as trivial as a game, must have a sad life.

But on the other hand, it would be nice if some people played some practice games before jumping in the normal games.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The installer really needs to be updated for the final release. Half an hour of downloads before I could get this thing started on my new format. :\

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm really confused about the launch status of this game. From what I hear it sounds like its out in stores...in a box? And I just "redeemed" my preorder code on pvp.net, but I don't get the runes until "the store launches on Nov. 17th"?

Ranked games are still locked out, you're unable to choose a map, you can only do a 5v5 (unless you go to a private, practice match), there is no Random Draft or any other modes they talked about including...is this game out or not?

bistromathics said:
I'm really confused about the launch status of this game. From what I hear it sounds like its out in stores...in a box? And I just "redeemed" my preorder code on pvp.net, but I don't get the runes until "the store launches on Nov. 17th"?

Ranked games are still locked out, you're unable to choose a map, you can only do a 5v5 (unless you go to a private, practice match), there is no Random Draft or any other modes they talked about including...is this game out or not?

The game is officially out but it's still a work in progress.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/indev/In_Development

This page is a list of some of the features we have planned. We will reveal more information about each of these features as they are closer to being released.
In-game Tournaments

The in-game tournament system is an upcoming feature that will assist users in setting up League of Legends tournaments. Eventually users will be able to easily create rich tournaments within the PVPnet client with their own teams and tournament rules. The system will also allow us to associate prestige awards, recognizing the winners and awarding prizes and achievements.
Clans / Teams

Teams: Teams in League of Legends will allow a player to form an official team with up n members. Players can belong to multiple teams and each team will have a persistent measure of rank beyond individual participation. Teams will be able to compare themselves with one another on ladders in order to view their rank.

Clans
: Clans in League of Legends are a social device, much like a Guild function. Clans are suited for lightweight competition, but are more of a fun way to play with your friends – not the be-all-end-all competitive measure.
Ranked Play

Ranked play will be broken into two different types. There will be 2 separate matchmaking pools for these groups: solo/2-man, and 5-man.

Premade: In team-based ranked play, a player will have to set up a 5-man team with which to play. When this feature is released, you will be required to pre-make with 4 teammates, but once persistent teams are added, you will be required to be a member of a team to participate.

Non-Premade: In non-team ranked play, a player will be able to either play solo, or in a two-man team.
Seasons

Competitive Seasons will be several months in duration with a 3-week week pre-season, allowing players to ramp into each new season. During the months of the primary season players will compete in teams and individually to climb to the top of the ladder. Each season will end with the top teams competing in tournament to determine which of the season’s best teams will be crowned the victors.
Replays & Observer Mode

As both are an extremely important part of competitive play, we’re putting a lot of work into making these features great. Our replay system will include a full game history archive, fast forward, rewind, and other features.
Additional Maps

In the near future, we’re adding a 2-lane map, which will be a bit faster paced, and more geared at 3 and 4-person teams. Later on, we’re looking to expand the genre to a bunch of different map types using the same Champions. We plan on enumerating as we get closer to the release of these maps.
Voice Chat

One of our long term goals is to add a fully integrated voice-chat solution to League of Legends, and the PVP.Net platform. Voice chat will be opt-in, and persistent throughout the experience, and you will be able to create custom chat rooms with your friends, teammates and clan-members.
Coming Soon

Features that are coming soon include:

* A new in-game HUD
* A Death-Recap system for viewing who killed you, and how
* Draft mode, allowing teams to counter-pick

I had a bunch of epic-ass games today. Went 48-8 as Katarina and lost. Got above 40 before dying. Really wish there was a way to give allies items. Not that they would have done much with em, but meh. So pissed that I fucking took Rally instead of Teleport for some goddamn reason that game.

Also went 18-0 as Singed too, couple of insanely lucky moments like having poison kill a champion, leveling me and triggering my Catalyst, saving me from a nuke that was in flight.

Oh and I'm in love with the stat consumables. The health/dmg pot is especially awesome.

eznark

Banned
bistromathics said:
Seems a little odd, since some of those are pretty core features. Can i even use my spell book at all atm? How do i get runes?
It's essentially an open beta right now. Even the box doesn't give a ton of extras until 11/17 (I think the only benefit right now is double XP and a skin).

Son of Godzilla, what's your LoL name?

-COOLIO- said:
dling

and thinking of a catchphrase to type when i pwn noobs

lol, Mine is: "Hey <insert name>, you come at the King, you best not miss"

Stolen without shame from one of the best tv shows ever

eznark said:
It's essentially an open beta right now. Even the box doesn't give a ton of extras until 11/17 (I think the only benefit right now is double XP and a skin).

Son of Godzilla, what's your LoL name?
catchphrase

I wish they were more upfront with what's going on with the store. The prices for heroes seem really weird. Also I kinda wanna get the CE, but the heroes it comes with are a little too stock for my taste. You are essentially forced those heroes and the boosts for $20... No idea how that'd compare to just buying $20 in riot cash and selecting what I want.

Had fun with the beta, and started picking this up again. Add me Toonami99, this will keep me busy until MW2 comes out. BTW whats up with the runes the "get runes" button isnt there anymore do we wait for a patch?

Hellcrow

If you are new to the game, I have one tip:

Stay away from towers. Especially early game.

For some reasons, I see many new players keep trying to conquer towers alone, only to get brutally slaughtered again and again. Maybe they don't understand that the enemy gets gold and xp from their carelessness.

blitz64

I remember my first dota games, i get killed by the towers often too. I just didn't know they were that powerful. Compare to other rts games, towers usually don't do that much.

As for the 'Get Rune' button, it will never come back. It is only for beta testing. Now that the game is released, you'll earn runes by playing more games.

eznark

Banned
Hellcrow said:
If you are new to the game, I have one tip:

Stay away from towers. Especially early game.

For some reasons, I see many new players keep trying to conquer towers alone, only to get brutally slaughtered again and again. Maybe they don't understand that the enemy gets gold and xp from their carelessness.
Yeah, I did that at first too. Now when I hit about 13 with Kayle I can tower dive no problem. It's such a nice feeling.

The matches lately have been a little weak, but that's encouraging. Some terrible play but for the most part people are being helpful.

Chromax

My main is Anivia, but I want to learn a second character soon. Any champion that uses a similar talent tree as her so I don't have to reset it? :lol

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm just about to download this, after pining of Heroes Of Newerth all day i just stumbled on this thread.
I've never played DotA, how hard are these to get into? i've played a good few RTSs (mainly the CnC series though).

sohois

I wouldn't say its too difficult to get into at the moment, especially since its only just launched. Whilst there are gonna be a lot of experienced DOTA and beta players, you've got a good chance of coming up against other new players, and even if you don't, there may be players who are willing to advise you. A lot of the game is really common sense, as long as you get a good champion it shouldnt be too bad, since the game features item guides for any champion you should choose.

I can't really advise on which champion you should pick as i haven't played enough, but i would advise picking a ranged one, and don't pick anyone with really complicated abilities. Also, you get the chance to choose 2 summoner abilities, pick teleport and the heal ability to start with.

Really a lot of the game is about teamwork and knowing your enemy, you won't come up against loads of players who can just dominate matches on their own.

I'm also assuming you have a basic knowledge of how these games work.

Cindres

sohois said:
I wouldn't say its too difficult to get into at the moment, especially since its only just launched. Whilst there are gonna be a lot of experienced DOTA and beta players, you've got a good chance of coming up against other new players, and even if you don't, there may be players who are willing to advise you. A lot of the game is really common sense, as long as you get a good champion it shouldnt be too bad, since the game features item guides for any champion you should choose.

I can't really advise on which champion you should pick as i haven't played enough, but i would advise picking a ranged one, and don't pick anyone with really complicated abilities. Also, you get the chance to choose 2 summoner abilities, pick teleport and the heal ability to start with.

Really a lot of the game is about teamwork and knowing your enemy, you won't come up against loads of players who can just dominate matches on their own.

I'm also assuming you have a basic knowledge of how these games work.

Ok thanks, i'll take your advice.

As for basic knowledge, i'm not sure, it's tower defense right? But obviously way more advanced than the flash tower defenses i've played in the past :lol

Just about to load up anyway so i shall see.
EDIT: Maybe not just yet, damn patches.

Cindres said:
Ok thanks, i'll take your advice.

As for basic knowledge, i'm not sure, it's tower defense right? But obviously way more advanced than the flash tower defenses i've played in the past :lol

Just about to load up anyway so i shall see.
EDIT: Maybe not just yet, damn patches.
No, nothing like TD. Try a bot match if you are that unfamiliar with the game.

Cindres

Where the hell did i get the tower defense thing from then? I thought DotA coined that phrase :lol

sohois

Cindres said:
Where the hell did i get the tower defense thing from then? I thought DotA coined that phrase :lol

If you want some more advice, i'll be playing in the next few hours, my userame is same as the GAF name, sohois.

Cindres said:

There are towers in the game, and you do have to defend them, but the towers are pre-defined, you can't move them at all. Here is a basic bullet point list of what you need to know.

- There are two teams, one on the top of the map, one on the bottom
- The map (as of now), is identical on both sides, with 3 lanes where creep or basic enemies constantly stream through.
- Each team has a building they are trying to guard from the other team.
- Each team has five champions, so normally there are 2 champions in two of the lanes, and one champion is soloing.
- Despite what it may sound like, most people prefer soloing, because you get more experience faster, because it isn't split up.
- There is a store where you can buy items to help boost your stats, and in LoL, it has recommended items for your hero.
- Towers kill you fast early in the game, don't get near them.
- Watch your mini-map to keep track of where the other teams heroes are, if you see multiple heroes moving in on you, GTFO.
- You can get gold by last hitting creep, killing heroes, or destroying towers/other buildings.
- Read through all of your hero's abilities before you start the game to make sure you know what you're supposed to do with them once you start the game.
- Normally it's a good idea to get your ultimate when it's available (lvl6, lvl11, and lvl16), as it's almost always your best ability.
- There are other spells that you as a player have at your disposal which don't cost magic.

I think that's a pretty good beginners guide to DotA, the rest is pretty self-explanatory and if you are having troubles, just say you're new to the DotA experience to one of your teammates and he'll/she'll probably help you out the best he/she can, because he/she wants to win.

Cindres

I just played my first game, a 3v3. My god that was an immense 45 minutes but we pulled through in the end. Thought i did pretty damn well there too.
I played as Annie, the demented little girl. She was a lot of fun, took your advice as a ranged character, but ranged has always been my thing.
Got the hang of it really fast too, the 2 on my team were very helpful and gave good tips at the start of the game so i never fucked up bad or anything.

I'll definitely be hitting this up some more.

eznark

Banned
Cindres said:
I just played my first game, a 3v3. My god that was an immense 45 minutes but we pulled through in the end. Thought i did pretty damn well there too.
I played as Annie, the demented little girl. She was a lot of fun, took your advice as a ranged character, but ranged has always been my thing.
Got the hang of it really fast too, the 2 on my team were very helpful and gave good tips at the start of the game so i never fucked up bad or anything.

I'll definitely be hitting this up some more.
What's your LoL name?

b.e.r.g

I've been playing this like crazy the last few days with my friends! Never saw much of GAF before now :)

This game is amazing. I think they nailed the core of what made DotA, and I'll be playing this game for a looong time!

Btw, bot matches are indeed a little slow and sluggish. I'd recommend to run the tutorial, and then just jump online. You'll learn the game a lot faster that way, and it's a lot more fun! :D

Almak

Just about to jump in. Never played DotA before but the fact that there are both tutorial and bot support is encouraging. Not sure how well online is going to play out for me. My net is somewhat sluggish today but we'll see.
Any advice on who's a good character to pick for a noob?

iamblades

Almak said:
Just about to jump in. Never played DotA before but the fact that there are both tutorial and bot support is encouraging. Not sure how well online is going to play out for me. My net is somewhat sluggish today but we'll see.
Any advice on who's a good character to pick for a noob?

The one they start you with in the tutorial, Ashe, is a good starting point.

She is ranged with AoE and good crowd control, so its a fairly safe playstyle. Grab Heal and Ghost summoner spells, and you will be able to get away from almost any encounter alive.

With plentiful bounty she gets more gold from kills, so can afford better items faster as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom