• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT| Free to play Dota clone (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just played a practise 2v2, didn't go aswell. Forgot the champions name but i won't be playing as him again, Short spellcaster guy, near the bottom.
Just kept getting buttraped by one guy carrying the other team, though we did make a good impact on their inhibitor but they managed to break in and take ours out while both of us were dead =/

Anyway i still really enjoyed when i was alive :lol But i need to play with someone a bit better who can basically command me while i learn.

Cindres said:
Just played a practise 2v2, didn't go aswell. Forgot the champions name but i won't be playing as him again, Short spellcaster guy, near the bottom.
Just kept getting buttraped by one guy carrying the other team, though we did make a good impact on their inhibitor but they managed to break in and take ours out while both of us were dead =/

Anyway i still really enjoyed when i was alive :lol But i need to play with someone a bit better who can basically command me while i learn.
I kind of like that character. But he appeals to the part of me that likes killing minions for gold. Since basicly if you last hit a creep with his spell your AP goes up. But yeah he is kind of tough to play for anyone new to the game. But I certainly did manage to carry the entire team with him once. Had about 900 ability power at the end of the game, was quiet fun. No survivability though.

Almak

Went with Kayle for my first 2vs2. Having fun so far, though it is very foreign to me, this type of game. Considering that this is the first DotA variation I ever played I'm not sure I completely got a hang of it just yet but I think I'm getting there. Progress is a bit slow and plotting, lots of back and forth but I enjoyed it. We won.
Any advice on what masteries i should invest most in? Any must haves there?

Hellcrow

Cindres said:

Following pings is usually a nice way to communicate. Kind of the least a pubber can do.

b.e.r.g

How do you guys play 2v2 or 3v3? All I can seem to select is 5v5!

This game is a little different than most. One thing to keep in mind is to be active. Constantly be on the move, snap as many killing blow on the minions as possible, protect all routes but try to be where the action is. Versatility and quick response is what will make you win this game.

Oh, and don't get killed! Never take risks early on! If you die, you basically give the killer a free level and you will fall behind everyone else. Be on your guard, never take a step to close, and make sure to punish the enemy every time they do.

Be quick, and be cautious! When this game starts to heat up, and both sides are good players, it's crazy fun! "Slow paced" is that last thing that comes to mind!

AeroGod

Is it just me, or is Singed just really really good. Not overpowered good or anything, But he can clear the shit out of minions by kiting them into poison, and with his ultimate and toss ability he is even a decent hero/tower killer towards the end game especially if you get halfway decent items. Just stack up Mana regen., ability power/ HP items and you are golden.

b.e.r.g

Singed is indeed good! Seen him played ever so often. That shield toss is just wonderful, and an AE slow with that range is priceless. Accompanied by another champ, he's as good as impossible to stop.

Also, start of as a tower defender, rush in and toss the enemy champ towards you tower and he is dead meat for sure :D Alot of fun early on.

Almost all the tanks are ridiculously good. It's hard to pick which is better. Singed probably stands out because of how good he is early game, so more often than not he's gonna get fed.

Tetsuo9

So far I have been playing with Morgana. She has stupidly good spells (stun, aoe and even snare :lol ) and I think Black shield is a little too powerful. She makes so much damage that I bought just 1 item with ability power and all others goes to mana regen, cooldown time reduction and health regen.

Today I teamed up in one lane with a friend playing with Teemo. I just lured them, shielded myself, did all my spells and then Teemo killed anything left, we dominated lanes in 3 games.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Tetsuo9 said:
So far I have been playing with Morgana. She has stupidly good spells (stun, aoe and even snare :lol ) and I think Black shield is a little too powerful. She makes so much damage that I bought just 1 item with ability power and all others goes to mana regen, cooldown time reduction and health regen.

Today I teamed up in one lane with a friend playing with Teemo. I just lured them, shielded myself, did all my spells and then Teemo killed anything left, we dominated lanes in 3 games.
morgana is my most played character. spell shield is a game winner mid/late game.

i actually don't bother with spell power till late game. you're better off getting other items.

my item buying order is:

1. Mana Manipulator
2. Meki Pendant
3. Boots of Mobility/Swiftness (don't bother with ability power ones)
4. Catalyst the Protector
4.2 Banshee's Veil
5. Fiendish Codex (combined with Meki Pendant from earlier)
6. Soul Shroud (combined with Mana Manipulator from earlier)
7. Stinger
7.2 Nashor's Tooth (combined with Stinger and Fiendish Codex from earlier)
8. Zhonya's Ring
9. Whatever else you can afford if the match isn't over already

The focus on mana regen at first is to keep you at the front lines as long as possible early game, so you can place as many puddles as possible before recalling to base. This will give you exp and gold advantage and will pay off in the long run.

banshee's veil is the perfect item for morgana. saves your ass when shield is on cooldown and really stuffs up enemy's plans. they're counting on their abilities to stun and snare you, but with banshee's veil AND the shield you're almost impossible to lockdown and kill.

As for skill order just put everything you can into the AoE as fast as possible. Sometimes you're forced to spend skill points elsewhere... put precedence into snare, then shield (you can leave this at level 1 for most of the game), then ult. But otherwise when you have a choice put points into AoE first. Why? You can clear entire waves of minions with a single puddle at around level 5-6. You will level up fast and can push a lane solo and can hold your own against two enemy champs. and the gold... you will roll in money. that's where morgana's true strength is, she will level up (if solo) and itemise faster than anyone else.

combine that with your snare, shield, ult and you're a real power house.

oh yeah, the ult is great both offensively and defensively. for defense, if you're getting chased by a group of enemies just pop your ult. not only does it slow them, but if they're silly enough to continue chasing you they will get stunned and take damage then you'll be long gone.

Rayven

aka surume
Try rushing Rod of Ages on Morgana. Get Meki and a few pots to start. B when you've got enough for Boots and Catalyst. It's hilarious early game when you're in a fight and you pop the catalyst heal when you lvl. Saved me a few times.

Also, work in Frozen Heart (or at least Glacial) for the cooldown reduction. Morgana's got nothing other than abilities so the CD off FH is amazing. Now if you miss a Dark Binding in a team fight it'll be back up in a bit.

Then go Banshee's late.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
HeartAttackJones said:
Try rushing Rod of Ages on Morgana. Get Meki and a few pots to start. B when you've got enough for Boots and Catalyst. It's hilarious early game when you're in a fight and you pop the catalyst heal when you lvl. Saved me a few times.

Also, work in Frozen Heart (or at least Glacial) for the cooldown reduction. Morgana's got nothing other than abilities so the CD off FH is amazing. Now if you miss a Dark Binding in a team fight it'll be back up in a bit.

Then go Banshee's late.
yeah, rod of ages i can understand. i might try some different builds with her.

frozen heart is nice, but i like the benefits of nashor's tooth. ability power, mana regen, and cooldown reduction. sure the cooldown is 5% less than frozen heart and the attack speed on nashor's is a bit of a waste, but the extra mana regen and ability power is worth it (sometimes you need that small boost to kill minions with a single puddle). frozen heart is an interesting item i haven't tried yet though... might see where i can work it into a build.

honestly, i think with a character like morgana going banshee's late is a bad idea. you can really fuck up a team with banshee's AND your shield. they blow all their crowd control cooldowns going for you, meanwhile your team comes in and smashes them while they wait for their cooldowns to come back up.

really, the only decent counter to morgana are attack damage classes, but even they rely on their abilities to crowd control you.

edit: i just realised something looking at the item database at http://leagueoflegends.com/items

catalyst protector doesn't say UNIQUE passive. does that mean if you get multiple catalyst protectors their effect will stack with each other? so if i have two of them when i level up i will have 800 hp and 650 mana restored?

eznark

Banned
I've been running into a lot of Evelyn/Kassadin combo's lately. What's a good item build for Kayle to sort of counter that combo. Generally I have no problem holding a lane on my own, but early game I get my ass handed to me if they are playing well together.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
eznark said:
I've been running into a lot of Evelyn/Kassadin combo's lately. What's a good item build for Kayle to sort of counter that combo. Generally I have no problem holding a lane on my own, but early game I get my ass handed to me if they are playing well together.
spell resist is really good against evelyn as is the elixir that reveals stealth. mana steal is good against kassadin if you can keep him off you and your caster minions, as that will deny him badly needed mana (he has that passive mana steal ability). kassadin without mana is pretty much fucked.

otherwise i'd suggest swapping lanes with someone who can better handle a combo like that.

or don't play kayle.

Cindres

I just played a game as Trist... yeah trist.
That wasn't gpoing so great but once i got a load of attack speed i was mowing them down. We won when my teammates had kept the enemies busy and i managed to take the base from 100% to 0% myself.
Gotta love rapid fire.

I'm something like 8-1 with Soraka in pub 5v5s over the past week or two. I just start with mana manipulator, and then either get Aegis or Tear depending on my needs / gold levels. It's awesome.

Yaweee

So how is the online community for this? DotA might be the most vile subsection of civilization I've ever come into contact with, often mean-spirited, vulgar, racist, homophobic, and whiny. The Kotaku review makes it sound like it hss carried over a bit, but is it really that bad?

Personally, Flash and Teleport, though I haven't gotten my summoner level back up to get Flash back.

"So how is the online community for this? DotA might be the most vile subsection of civilization I've ever come into contact with, often mean-spirited, vulgar, racist, homophobic, and whiny. The Kotaku review makes it sound like it hss carried over a bit, but is it really that bad?"

In my experience, absolutely not. It's been relatively smooth sailing (as much as can be expected in any online game), community-wise. Especially compared to HoN.

b.e.r.g said:
May I ask, what summoner spells you guys usually go for?
Really depends on the champion. Ghost and Heal is usually my default. Teleport for people that can abuse it like Aniva and Shako. I'll get the turret protection on heroes that don't really need a heal like Morgana and Ashe. Blink on Minotaur/Blitzcrank.

Also that Kotaku review is a bit awry. Matchmaking was hosed in the later days of the beta, but it's been beyond excellent since launch.

I ended up buying the pack, just because. The Kayle skin it comes with is really good, much better than the Annie goth mess. Comes with an experience boost too, which is nice. I'm sure I'll hit 30 in a week or so. Makes your experience bar glow gold, cool graphic alone is worth $30. The runes aren't anything special.

b.e.r.g

Yeah I used heal in the begging as well, but in the end it gets a little too weak, doesn't it? I usually end up with ghost/teleport or cleanse/teleport.

I've pretty much never seen anyone else using cleanse though. Why is that? It's one of, if not the best imo. It can get you out of everything, and has a rather quick cooldown.

I'm yet to reach flash though...

I actually bought the pack because it came with all the heroes (Tristana, Morgana, Fiddlesticks, Nasus, Annie) I wanted to play anyway. Very convenient how that worked out!

Cindres

Well i'm never playing Blitzcrank again.
And now Annie's been locked out? She was my favourite. Jesus.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
eznark said:
They started locking champions?
pretty sure they said the first week they were all available right? then they're going to the points system?

i'm still waiting for random draft...i dont know why i can't get into these games when i have all the units to choose from. I only did AP in dota when i wanted to try out a new hero.

eznark

Banned
Just went into champion select and everyone was available. I thought they weren't locking til the 17th. Maybe I'm misunderstanding Cindres?

Rayven

aka surume
Haven't locked anything. Maybe one of your teammates had her picked.

edit: also blitz can be really fun with good team coordination.

Cindres

Ok i just realised it was because a teammate had picked her before i did.
My mistake. Still, made the game shitty for me.
EDIT: Also i really want to play in a co ordinated team instead of a PuG.

I am quite solid with most characters. Only like 5 I don't play. If you want to play seriously or practice, I can do both. I can give pointers on builds as we play. I have several vents we can go to but the LoL Official server is where I usually go.

Want to play add me : LikwidCid

cali6.nationvoice.com
lichbanez

Cindres

Mister_Mingi said:
I am quite solid with most characters. Only like 5 I don't play. If you want to play seriously or practice, I can do both. I can give pointers on builds as we play. I have several vents we can go to but the LoL Official server is where I usually go.

Want to play add me : LikwidCid

cali6.nationvoice.com
lichbanez

I'll be on later, possibly with a friend. I will add you.

Hellcrow

Cindres said:
Well i'm never playing Blitzcrank again.
And now Annie's been locked out? She was my favourite. Jesus.

I love Blitz. He is great at escaping stuff, and an excellent ganker. It's especially satisfying killing someone early game by dragging them into turret range and stunning them.

Cindres

Man i just got out of a fun game. We won but it was still tense.
I swear every time this game makes me feel jittery and on edge after.

Darklord said:
This game really needs more maps. The 1 gets too boring.

There is another map. It can be played only in practice now. They do this to make sure there are no problems with it and it's balanced for "ranked" play.

Darklord

Banned
Mister_Mingi said:
There is another map. It can be played only in practice now. They do this to make sure there are no problems with it and it's balanced for "ranked" play.

That's only with bots though isn't it? I mean with actual players.

Darklord said:
That's only with bots though isn't it? I mean with actual players.

You can play practice games with real players.

Go to practice and join a game that has the map Twisted Meadows. Or you can even make a game and wait for people to join.

dejan

Never played a DOTA game before, but after watching giantbomb's LoL and HoN quick looks the gameplay reminded me strangely enough of Herzog 2 (which I loved btw). Should I jump right into a mp match or is there a tutorial (I'm downloading the client right now) I should go through first?

dejan said:
Never played a DOTA game before, but after watching giantbomb's LoL and HoN quick looks the gameplay reminded me strangely enough of Herzog 2 (which I loved btw). Should I jump right into a mp match or is there a tutorial (I'm downloading the client right now) I should go through first?
MP matches are the best way to learn. But its probably a good idea to play at least 1 game with bots or something just to get a feel for it. Some people can freak out if you do something they think is stupid.

BluWacky

dejan said:

There's a tutorial in the game you can play if you want. When I started playing DOTA I played lots of bot games just to get the hang of it, but it's not a massively complicated style of game; the LoL community is much more forgiving of new players than DOTA (if you play badly you mostly get ignored rather than having abuse flung at you, which I think is an improvement!) so you could probably start off with some multiplayer rather than fannying around with practice games for too long.

Easiest things to remember:

i) Don't go wading in to any battles at the start of a match. If you're playing melee, hang back and gain vicarious XP. If you're playing ranged characters then this is much easier - but whatever you do, don't go running in to beat things up, as you will die.
ii) STAY AWAY FROM TOWERS.
iii) Some people are dickheads. Just ignore them.

These are the main areas you've got to worry about; otherwise just play cautiously to start with and you'll pick up the general idea. Every character has their strengths and weaknesses in a fight, and even the support characters who only have heal spells can be vital.

blitz64

Gamespot review is up 6.0
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/leagueoflegendsclashoffates/review.html

This is the same reviewer that gave Demigod a 6.5. He is bashing LoL for releasing a beta product, even though the store will be available in 1-2 week.

He should give a review score for the $30 product (6.0 is fine). Another score for people who play the game for free.

I do understand that he is trying to make a point across about not releasing beta products.

The list of 10 free rotating champions have been revealed
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=24115

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HeartAttackJones said:
That gamespot review really pissed me off today, tone does not match the score IMO. I've worked on much worse games that have been scored higher by them (and were $60).

But, I'm happy to pass along Sharkey's review which gave us an A-!!! :D

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3176853
GameSpot lost its good reviewers after Kane and Lynch :/

blitz64 said:
The list of 10 free rotating champions have been revealed
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=24115
I notice a severe lack of Shako, though that's probably for the best considering how hard he is to play.

And less people trying to take him from me. >_>

b.e.r.g said:
I still don't get this. So I have to unlock every champion I want to play at all times? Or can't a play even an unlocked champion when it's not their week?
There will always be a rotating list of 10 champions that anyone can select. If you buy a champion from the store, you can always select. You can pay either currency for a champion. I think the last calculation had the IP costs somewhere around a couple thousand games to get all the heroes.

I'm really discouraged by how they seem to be monetizing this game. The spacebucks not having a direct exchange rate is lame beyond words. $10 should be $10, fuck that home shopping network bullshit. Also I'm worried about just how much is going to be timed. Pretty sure both boosts are already time limited. The concept of "seasons" just screams "We want a reason to nuke your investments"... I do not want to lose my summoner level again, much less anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom