• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket Knight | NeoGAF Official Thread

np2n4k.jpg

11uf9k3.jpg

Developer: Climax Studios Ltd
Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Genre: Platformer, Classics
Game Rating: E10 (Everyone 10+)
Release Date: NOW!!!
Platform: XBLA, PSN & PC (Steam)
Price: 1200 MSP/ $19.95AU/ $14.95US?

Steam Version Supports:

- Steam Cloud
- Steam Achievements
- Steam Leaderboards
- Controller Support

• 1 Player
  • 720p
  • Dolby Digital

IGN Review 7.5

SCREENS__

noblex.jpg

x2uzh1.jpg

9tnafm.jpg

Achievements/Trophies

Elhorn Tourist
Completed all stages

Zephyrus Saviour
Completed Arcade Mode on Normal

Devotindos Defiler
Completed Arcade Mode on Hard in a Single Playthrough

Legendary Possum
Completed Gold Sparkster Mode

Impatient Hero
Completed all stages below par time

Spark Dog Millionaire
Completed Arcade Mode scoring 1,000,000 or more

Redoubtable Runner

Completed Arcade Mode on Hard within 60 minutes

Ferocious Flier
Completed 1.2 having defeated all enemies

Wolf Connoisseur

Completed 2.1 having collected all pickups

Nimble Knight

Completed 3.2 without taking damage

Burst Friends
Defeat 5 enemies in a single Rocket Burst or Drill attack

Woodland Bouncer
Defeat 3 enemies with a single reflected projectile

Now GO GO GO!!!

2j8520.jpg

Sorry about the bare bones thread, but didn't have the chance for more...If I'm missing anything important that you think is needed, let me know.

Salz01

Thanks for making this thread. Played it last night and was floored how good it was. After the initial reaction to people saying it doesnt hold true when it was first announced, they were totally wrong. Even the music is a throwback. The game is awesome. I'm going to savor it, and wish there was more like it. The art, the gameplay, the music, all good.

I must say, I had little hope with this "yet another outsourced-to-small-studio-handling-great-JP-oldschool franchise" situation, but playing it a little it isn't as bad as what was shown prior to release. The first stage music is great because it's an orchestratal remix of the first stage music in RKA on Genesis/MD. But a lot of the later music is generic and sometimes annoying (level 3-2).
Still, the art style needs work and the menus/presentation is sloppy and rushed looking.

The game is enjoyable in a cheap fun way (no justice to Rocket Knight Adventures on Genesis/MD), until chapter 3...
I really, really HATE level 3-2.
As soon as the pigs start to show up this game's level design and overall playability goes way downhill.

Someone posted this on ps3trophies.org and I agree:
Anyone else really frustrated with this level? I was doing my Hard single-playthrough run for the trophy and this level just ruined it for me. I went into it with 8 lives and just gave up after I lost my first continue.
The enemies are just all over the place on top of frustrating platforming puzzles over and over again.
It's way too drawn out and long and then at the end they put that "base blowing up escape now!" scenario that requires perfection or you'll fail.

Strangely I went into free play and beat this on my first try, not like it matters now that I'd have to do it all again in one playthrough for the 2 Hard mode related trophies.

This level is a problem for 3 trophies:
- The speedrun trophy (beat the game on hard in under 60 minutes)...this level takes up way too much time
- The "not get hit" on this level trophy...how cruel...
- The beat the game on hard in one playthrough trophy...if you start messing up on this level (which is easy to lose patience on because of how drawn out it is) say goodbye to chances of finishing

I'll have to try the hard playthrough trophy again but I was just too frustrated to try again today. No idea how you are supposed to beat it all in under 60 minutes though...
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/rocket-knight/50173-level-3-2-cyberswine-base.html

I am going to hold out until it hits the PSN next week because of the shit 360 D-Pad. I know its nit picky but I dont really dig the new art style.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Host Samurai said:
I am going to hold out until it hits the PSN next week because of the shit 360 D-Pad. I know its nit picky but I dont really dig the new art style.

Oh, it's not out on the US store yet? It was released on the EU store with Wednesday's update.

Pandoracell said:
How long is the game on the first playthrough?

Took me around 2-3 hours (but that was with some retrying on a few bosses and stupid level 3-2), but there IS a trophy/achievement for beating it on hard in under 1 hour, so that tells you what's possible.

RoadHazard said:
Oh, it's not out on the US store yet? It was released on the EU store with Wednesday's update.

At least it was not out when the store updated on Tuesday. Not sure if they added it to the store yet, but ill check later.

Sanic

jetsetfluken said:
Took me around 2-3 hours (but that was with some retrying on a few bosses and stupid level 3-2), but there IS a trophy/achievement for beating it on hard in under 1 hour, so that tells you what's possible.

Cool thanks.

RoadHazard said:

No, it won't be on the US store until May 18th. Stupid Sony moved the update date from Thursday to Tuesday, which means if XBLA was destined to get the content first (Wednesdays), PSN has to wait a whole 'nother week cycle for the last week's content.
I think the "we get content earlier now!" idea backfired on them...

like the game. hate the polygons.

like the menu drawings. wish the actual game looked like this.

loved the pause sound effect. made me smile big. really enjoyed that for some reason.

Lijik

HorribleJames said:
like the menu drawings. wish the actual game looked like this.

Same. I don't mind the polygons, but I would have greatly preferred if the whole game was 2d and in the style of the artwork.

Also to anyone having performance problems on the PC- try turning off the shadows before the game starts up. The game was chugging along until I did that, and it runs perfectly for me now.

Edgeward said:
How is the framerate in the ps3 version?
I played the PSN demo just a few ago. This bitch is as tight as a virgin snatch. It performs like a pro too. Frame rate, controls, and visuals are all tops. Also one of the better games to hit these online services in a while. The music was pretty awesome too. Def check the trial out, it's up now on the Euro PSN store, make a UK account if you haven't.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Downloaded the trial on PSN. OK game, graphics are a bit poo, but the gameplay is solid enough. Might get it if the price ever goes down.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
ahhh memories. This was a great game back on sega, i bought on PC so lets hope its good nostalgic fun!

RoadHazard said:
I really liked the trial (PSN), but I'm not sure the full game is worth what they're charging for it.

I'm the same way. I downloaded the demo and thought it was cute and would have jumped in a second at 800 points but at 1200 I decided to pass as I have too many games to play right now as it is. I may go back and pick it up on a sale or something but they did a great job on the game.

What I said about the demo yesterday:

Just played the rather lenghy demo on my 360.

I agree with the feeling of some game spinoff of a 7:30am kids anime cartoon that airs before school, aka pokemon.

There is no soul to this game just like what we seen with sonic 4, I do give props that they went with his original design of brown hair but the game just looks cheap and uninspired, also what's the deal with his flying speed? in rocket knight adventures the flying segments felt FAST because he has a double engine'd rocket pack on, here he is flying past trees at a few miles per hour, and the background even stops scrolling when fighting axel in the air, wtf!

Dev's obviously didn't play enough rocket knight adventures or even sparkster before making this game, not going to buy it now.

The two single best parts about the demo have to be the classic ding sound when you press start for the first time, and sparkster's drawing before each stage (actually looks good) and makes me wish they drew all the frames for sparkster like that.

*edit* oh and what's up with axel sounding like a team rocket villan who is 12 years old? why can't we hear the classic mouse squeaks from the original games? sometimes "improving" things makes it worse, we don't need human voices and laughs.

Non-charge jetpack is fail too, way too easy to dash around everywhere it's not fun anymore.

RobbieNick said:
Played the demo. Had an absolute blast!! Very fun. Between Rocket Knight and Sonic 4 threads, I'm starting think to many people on GAF are too jaded to play classic remakes unless they're perfect representations of their originals down to 16-bit graphics. This game is fun!! Sonic 4, with the exception of some flaws, (mainly mine cart and homing attack) looks fun. I wish more people would just relax and have fun with a game instead of examining and nitpicking everything to death.

I agree that normal mode is for babies. Hard mode is perfect. Two long levels makes a good size demo. Will buy this when I get paid tomorrow. Can't wait for Snoopy Flying Ace.
I won't be happy until dev's who remake their older games understand what made their old titles so unique and great, and why the fans still love them, rocket knight xbla is throw away compared to the original.

jergrah

Played the demo last night and really enjoyed it -- but am already busy playing a ton of stuff and with RDR and Alan Wake hitting next week, not sure I have time for it. Ill certainly keep the demo installed as a reminder to purchase it later when [if] a drought of games ever hits.

Diablohead said:

I agree with the feeling of some game spinoff of a 7:30am kids anime cartoon that airs before school, aka pokemon.

There is no soul to this game just like what we seen with sonic 4, I do give props that they went with his original design of brown hair but the game just looks cheap and uninspired, also what's the deal with his flying speed? in rocket knight adventures the flying segments felt FAST because he has a double engine'd rocket pack on, here he is flying past trees at a few miles per hour, and the background even stops scrolling when fighting axel in the air, wtf!

Dev's obviously didn't play enough rocket knight adventures or even sparkster before making this game, not going to buy it now.

The two single best parts about the demo have to be the classic ding sound when you press start for the first time, and sparkster's drawing before each stage (actually looks good) and makes me wish they drew all the frames for sparkster like that.

*edit* oh and what's up with axel sounding like a team rocket villan who is 12 years old? why can't we hear the classic mouse squeaks from the original games? sometimes "improving" things makes it worse, we don't need human voices and laughs.

Non-charge jetpack is fail too, way too easy to dash around everywhere it's not fun anymore.

I won't be happy until dev's who remake their older games understand what made their old titles so unique and great, and why the fans still love them, rocket knight xbla is throw away compared to the original.

Pretty much what I think, too. No soul, but a cheap little romp that's at least above the average "DD shovelware" quality.

The main problem here, like Sonic 4's situation with SEGA outsourcing it to DIMPS, is that it was outsourced by Konami to a small Western dev studio, with no real background, and definitely shouldn't be responsible for making a next-gen sequel to a classic franchise in a classic 2D gameplay style. Only the people who made the prior entries in the series understand fully.

And I agree with the gameplay, too. I was really let down when they just have you press one button to dash and do the sword spin and all. The thing that made RKA gameplay unique was you had to charge up before doing any strong attacks or dashing.
The flying segments you do have to charge, but it feels really cheap (you just shoot a generic beam).

RKA was truly a beautiful game, really need to go pop in my old copy this week and then laugh at Rocket Knight PSN/XBLA quality.

kassatsu said:
If you have a way to add funds to Japanese psn, the game is only ¥1000 ($10.81).

That's what I did, but I thought US/EU was getting it on May 18th and it wasn't out in EU yet, so I bought it on JP...little did I know it was out in EU. Usually I only buy stuff on the JP Store that is exclusive to the JP store (and there is a lot to choose from when you factor in the PS1 games). What I'm saying is yen card code prices are a little inflated on Ebay and such.

Played the demo, not as bad as I was expecting but not worth anywhere near 15 dollars either. Maybe for $5 I'd give it a look.

Reckoner

Can anyone tell me how I unlock the Devotindos Defiler achievement? I don't get it. I have to do the first playthrough on Hard? I can't pass it on Normal first? I'm kinda confused, lol. And looks like I'm the only one on the Internet in this situation.

Reckoner said:
Can anyone tell me how the Devotindos Defiler achievement works? I don't get it. I have to do the first playthrough on Hard? I can't pass it in Normal first? I'm kinda confused, lol. And looks like I'm the only one on the Internet in this situation.

I don't get it either. I was doing my hard playthrough but like some others gave up on levelat the end of chapter 3, I think level 3.2. (ironically I was able to beat it on hard through Free Play mode, but that doesn't matter now that it doesn't count for that trophy (do it in one sitting).

Sadly I think what the achievement/trophy means is that you have to start from level 1 and beat the game on hard difficulty, all in one sitting, without getting a game over.
Someone please prove me wrong though.

And then there's the "beat the game on hard in under 60 minutes". FUCK!!!

DeVeAn

Diablohead said:

Why can't you just accept the fact that these remakes will never be the same as the classics? It is not Rocket Knight Adventures, that game was already created.

DeVeAn said:
Why can't you just accept the fact that these remakes will never be the same as the classics? It is not Rocket Knight Adventures, that game was already created.

He pointed out simple mechanic and style changes that they went wrong with and rightfully so tarnishes the legacy of the original RKA.

Don't write off his criticism with the old "u got nostalgia, itll never b as good as the classix, get realistic expectationz!"

Bernbaum

Will grudgingly pick this up off PSN.

Loved RKA as a kid but this looks nothing like the tribute I would liked to have seen.

Teknoman

DeVeAn said:

Probably because Bionic Commando Rearmed was the most awesome thing ever.

m0dus said:
34q8mx3.jpg

And to think you did it right over a year ago!

chixdiggit said:
Any differences between Steam, XBLA, and PSN versions?
PC can run it at 60fps (? no idea if it's locked 30 or not) and it's not available in europe on PC currently, only differences I know about.

Demo was pretty fun. Although it was frustrating to play on a keyboard and it seems the control options wont let you change the keys around unless I missed something.

Absolutely LOVE this game.

Has such a 'classic' feel to it, and even appeals to my inner collect-a-thon whore by having a set number of shit to grab.

Little disappointed it wasn't made at 1080p/60 but I doubt it matters all that much with the art style used.

edit: Added achievements/Trophies to the OP

Liking the gameplay a lot. That first real boss with the grinder arm was mental, took me a fair few attempts to best him!

My only real complaint is the wierd character redesigns. They look like weasels or ferrets. I miss the chubbier old-school Japanese designs.

Other than that, can't moan :)

FauX

Played the demo on Steam. Really amazing game. I just don't know if I will spend $15 now or wait till it drop to $10.

Top Bottom