• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need For Speed Hot Pursuit revealed [EA-CONF]

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
GamePro is supposed to have a cover story on the game in the next issue. I might buy an issue of GamePro for the first time in years, btw.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
To Far Away Times said:
This game better be 60fps...

Why are there so many people in here still bitching about framerate if a racing game is multiplatform? If it's also coming out on the PC, you can have your 60fps by getting that version. This shouldn't even be a discussion anymore.

And yes, open worlds suck. If you have to ask why, you certainly aren't a fan of true arcade racers.

Goldrusher

isamu said:
Why are there so many people in here still bitching about framerate if a racing game is multiplatform? If it's also coming out on the PC, you can have your 60fps by getting that version. This shouldn't even be a discussion anymore.

And yes, open worlds suck. If you have to ask why, you certainly aren't a fan of true arcade racers.
To me, this is Burnout Paradise 2. And why should we accept that it runs at half the frame rate of the original ? On the same platform ? After over 2 years of development ?

isamu said:

Because racing games with 60 fps are superior. It's not hard to understand, is it?

Dead Man

Madman said:
Despite this looking pretty awesome, I am disappointed about it being open world. BOP was fun, but I really just want to race on a classic NFS track (lap based, some shortcuts). Open world is an issue because if you miss one turn it can have you going completely in the wrong direction, or at least that would happen in BOP.
I don't get the anti open world thing. MW had an open world, but closed off tracks with some shortcuts, and point to point races. I think some of you have not even played the damn thing. All they have to do is have more highway, and less/no urban portions, and less lower end cars. As for missing the turns... I sort of like that, so even if they did not close off tracks it would be fine.

Really, sometimes you guys cry about the weirdest shit.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Dead Man said:
Really, sometimes you guys cry about the weirdest shit.

Oh no, I have to turn! NOOOOOOOOooooOOOoooOOooOOOooOooo!

People who can't handle an open world racer should stick to stuff like mariokart where there are only a handful of shortcuts per map. That way they can spend all their time worrying about a blue shell instead of worrying about turning.

Woo-Fu said:

People who can't handle an open world racer should stick to stuff like mariokart where there are only a handful of shortcuts per map. That way they can spend all their time worrying about a blue shell instead of worrying about turning.
While I don't care if the game is open world or not, this is just really, really stupid. I mean, are you really saying that you don't have to turn or that there are no shortcuts in a non-open world racing game?

Hot Pursuit 2 had beautiful environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa5ENqY1tGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdQb2khWN_Q

This is what HP3 should be. Exotic cars in exotic locations. There's no need for a big open world city. Just imagine how it would look with current consoles. I'd love that in HP3.

Dead Man

brotkasten said:
While I don't care if the game is open world or not, this is just really, really stupid. I mean, are you really saying that you don't have to turn or that there are no shortcuts in a non-open world racing game?

Hot Pursuit 2 had beautiful environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa5ENqY1tGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdQb2khWN_Q

This is what HP3 should be. Exotic cars in exotic locations. There's no need for a big open world city. Just imagine how it would look with current consoles. I'd love that in HP3.
No, but imagine a big open world coastal country side. Open world does not automatically mean urban. I don't know what Criterion has designed, but even if they have screwed it up, it doesn't mean that an open world design can't deliver on the stuff open world haters seem to want.

1-D_FTW

Woo-Fu said:

Huh? To me, a game like the latest Burnout was in the same category of Mario Kart. It's a game designed for casuals and the skill level required is decided low. As is the strategy.

Open world games don't require a lot of turning. Which is precisely why the hardcore racing set doesn't like them. Look at that demo of NFS. It's basically hold the gas down and drive in straight lines for as long as the eye can see. There are a decided lack of turns where skillful driving will allow you to skillfully reign in the driver ahead of you. It's pretty much gimmick based... like a certain series you just blasted.

Dead Man said:
No, but imagine a big open world coastal country side. Open world does not automatically mean urban. I don't know what Criterion has designed, but even if they have screwed it up, it doesn't mean that an open world design can't deliver on the stuff open world haters seem to want.
That's true, but I can't see them developing a TDU like NFS.

Have I entered some kind of crazy universe where some people's opinions are completely invalid?

I think open world racing can be done well, TDU is an example of that (I think because the GPS always gives you the route). I just really didn't like Burnout Paradise, I thought it was confusing and one wrong turn could lose you a race when it wasn't always clear where to go. That's not what I want out of a racing game and that's definitely not what I want out of a Need For Speed game. Also I think being limited to one area (even a big area with a few different locations) is kind of boring, I'd much rather have tracks all over the world like in NFSIV.

Hey good job on the covers, guys

5a8adf0b.jpg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Woo-Fu said:

:lol I hope you're not insinuating that Burnout has better turning. You pretty much drive in a straight line in those games and if there ever is a turn, you're protected by guard rails. This is evident in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xnpJMPDlEA

That isn't a knock on Burnout, I like the series up to Paradise, but the open world killed it for me. I didn't like the open world in NFS:MW either. I'm not against the idea of open worlds, but I don't like the way they're presented. They should start you off where you only have a very limited amount of the world unlocked and then slowly move you onto new areas. By the time you get to the end of the game you have this huge world unlocked that you can race in. As it stands right now, the memorizing the worlds is daunting and too much for a lot of people.

As far as NFS:HP2 goes, I found the PS2 version to be far superior to the other ones. I don't why it's so much different, but it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHUu2PjE3xE

Don't know if this has been posted before but here are the 4 'weapons' for both the 'runners' and the cops, from Gamepro:

Runner-
Cloaking device
Decoy

Nitrous
Overdrive (kind of a super nitrous)

Cop-
Spike strip
Road block
Air support (helicopter deploying spike strips)
EMP (reverses the runner's controls)

I don't care much for the sound of some of the more bizarre items (my italics). It's not what I think of when I think back to the good old days of Need For Speed.

One notable thing is they say you can play online in a game of any number of cops/runners which is nice (up to 8 players). So if you wanted to have 7 cops and 1 runner, or the other way around, you could.

Also supposedly the handling is going to be a mix of Burnout Paradise, Most Wanted with a little 'realism' thrown in.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Neuromancer said:
Don't know if this has been posted before but here are the 4 'weapons' for both the 'runners' and the cops, from Gamepro:

Runner-
Cloaking device
Decoy

Nitrous

Cop-
Spike strip
Road block

I don't care much for the sound of some of the more bizarre items (my italics). It's not what I think of when I think back to the good old days of Need For Speed.

One notable thing is they say you can play online in a game of any number of cops/runners which is nice (up to 8 players). So if you wanted to have 7 cops and 1 runner, or the other way around, you could.

Also supposedly the handling is going to be a mix of Burnout Paradise, Most Wanted with a little 'realism' thrown in.
Nitrous and Overdrive sound like Boost and Burnout in the Burnout games. That being said, I think this game will host the best graphics since HP2. It really does look beautiful. Even though I'm critical of the open world, it's hard to fault Criterion because they're so passionate about what they're doing. I just hope that they're able to create an experience that's accessible because I didn't fell Burnout Paradise was.

On another note, it looks like there will be "micro-transactions" of some sort. It would be really awesome if you could download older tracks like "National Forest" from HP2, but cars will definitely be downloadable.

http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/post/preorder-hot-pursuit-and-get-cool-cars

NeedForSpeed.com said:
We mentioned this earlier in the week, but just as a refresher, if you preorder the Limited Edition of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit before its November 16th release, you'll get access to four amazing cars on day one -- cop versions of the Dodge Challenger SRT8 and Porsche Cayman S, racer variants of the Audi TT RS Coupe and Chevrolet Camaro SS, along with exclusive weapons and equipment.

Also, here's some more interviews - no new footage. I'm not sure they've been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjgI8gP5Ag&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAfxnbs_zUI&feature=player_embedded

Edit - I think the idea of having your controls reversed (turn left to go right) will be a lot of fun. That sounds like a neat addition.

Dead Man

Neuromancer said:

Runner-
Cloaking device
Decoy

Nitrous

Cop-
Spike strip
Road block

Yeah, not a fan of the italics. :(

Edit: Of course it's all italics when I quote it! :lol Lets say not a fan of the bold then.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Some of that info sounds nice. The 7 cops 1 racer is my type of thing, we made a similar game mode in burnout 3 back in the day but without all the cool weapons.

It's still open world though. Not that i have a major issue with that, just the design in BP was terrible for open world racing. Also the right stick for a camera can go fuck off, if i can't change that to my acceleration and brake this game can gtfo.

I'm going to stay open minded. If they can fix most of what i hated in BP then it could be fun.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
brotkasten said:
Because racing games with 60 fps are superior. It's not hard to understand, is it?

I know. And I wholeheartedly agree. But the point I was trying to make, was that since the game is coming out on PC, I suggest getting that version.

Guys listen....I have already come to the realization and have accepted the fact the 99% of racing game developers these days are too lazy to put in enough effort to make their games run at 60fps, despite companies like PD and Namco doing it 8 years ago on the fucking PS1.

You guys need to realize that by sticking to the console versions of your favorite racers, you are getting the short end of the stick. The devs could give a fuck about getting 60fps on the console. It is precisely the reason why I've COMPLETELY given up on playing racing games on console(barring Ridge Racer, OutRun2 and the GT games).

Being the mega framerate whore that I am, I simply had enough of the bullshit, and crossed over to the PC. The PC is just so much better, especially if you enjoy arcade racing games. I mean, it's the only place you play Trackmania for christ's sake! AAAAAAAND to top it off, you have emulators that allow you play all the arcade classics such as F-ZeroGX, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Indy 500, Initial D all stages, and every Ridge Racer game from the past....ALL in glorious hi-rez AND at a rock fucking solid 60 frames per second!!!

I mean C'mon...if that isn't enough to make you a believer, what is? The grass is MUCH greener on this side!

Dibbz

Don't understand the hate for the open world. The last good NFS, Most Wanted, was open world and that was awesome.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Dibbz said:
Don't understand the hate for the open world. The last good NFS, Most Wanted, was open world and that was awesome.

Yeah, but it was an exception to the open world racing genre.
Long stretches of wide roads where it's easy to see & react to a branching path.
It felt like a few dozen closed tracks strung throughout & linked together by a road or intersection.

Unlike the rest of the genre, which are just a mess of small grid like road patterns with little flow to them.

ram

FTWer said:
Long stretches of wide roads where it's easy to see & react to a branching path.
It felt like a few dozen closed tracks strung throughout & linked together by a road or intersection.

the new need for speed looks already like that - if you watch the radar in the videos, there arent many intersections.

Shawsie64

Banned
isamu said:
I know. And I wholeheartedly agree. But the point I was trying to make, was that since the game is coming out on PC, I suggest getting that version.

Guys listen....I have already come to the realization and have accepted the fact the 99% of racing game developers these days are too lazy to put in enough effort to make their games run at 60fps, despite companies like PD and Namco doing it 8 years ago on the fucking PS1.

You guys need to realize that by sticking to the console versions of your favorite racers, you are getting the short end of the stick. The devs could give a fuck about getting 60fps on the console. It is precisely the reason why I've COMPLETELY given up on playing racing games on console(barring Ridge Racer, OutRun2 and the GT games).

Being the mega framerate whore that I am, I simply had enough of the bullshit, and crossed over to the PC. The PC is just so much better, especially if you enjoy arcade racing games. I mean, it's the only place you play Trackmania for christ's sake! AAAAAAAND to top it off, you have emulators that allow you play all the arcade classics such as F-ZeroGX, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Indy 500, Initial D all stages, and every Ridge Racer game from the past....ALL in glorious hi-rez AND at a rock fucking solid 60 frames per second!!!

I mean C'mon...if that isn't enough to make you a believer, what is? The grass is MUCH greener on this side!

Not to mention all the FAR superior racing sims aswell, Rfactor, live for speed, GTR ect. and universal G25 support

Racing heaven :D

Dead Man

FTWer said:

Unlike the rest of the genre, which are just a mess of small grid like road patterns with little flow to them.
This is true, many open world games are a it crap when it comes to track design and flow, but the fact that there have been at least 1 or 2 that do it right, means people shitting on it as a design philosophy are missing the point. It can be done right, the fact is is not often done right is no reason to hate the whole thing. I can dislike certain implementations of it, while still loving the idea when implemented well. There are plenty of badly designed closed world racers, as well.

54-46!

MadOdorMachine said:
:lol I hope you're not insinuating that Burnout has better turning. You pretty much drive in a straight line in those games and if there ever is a turn, you're protected by guard rails. This is evident in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xnpJMPDlEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ZOe2yIEE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Wn_yVnJAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28XkyEZ1oAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28XkyEZ1oAI

Alot of straight lines sure, but in BP there's a reward for experimenting with shortcuts to get the best time..

isamu said:

I completely agree with you in every point, but I think the reason why people are hoping for 60 fps in this game is the fact that Criterion already did it this generation with Burnout Paradise.

I'll be interested in the tech analysis that explains why they're running it at 30fps. As I said before, Criterion was one of the few companies that I thought would stick with 60fps.

Dead Man

SolidSnakex said:
I'll be interested in the tech analysis that explains why they're running it at 30fps. As I said before, Criterion was one of the few companies that I thought would stick with 60fps.
TREES!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
54-46! said:
Impressive to say the least. I just don't have the time to put into a massive game like that, not all at once. It's nice to be able to just turn the game on, pick a track and race. Don't get me wrong either, the idea of those long chases sounds awesome and I can see the potential for online as well. Why does this mean you have to sacrifice the other? Why not have both?

There's nothing wrong with blocking off a street to make a closed track and then opening it up later on. This way, they feed you the tracks in bits and pieces to memorize and then by the time you get to the first big cop chase, you know the layout. This way, you can go online and say, "Hey 54-56!, let's race three laps around this track." or "Let's do a pursuit chase."

I'll admit it's early, but so far Criterion has only shown one mode of the game. It looks really good too, but I'm afraid they might be putting all of their eggs in one basket. I hope that's not the case and they can please both sides. I plan on checking the game out, I don't know if I'll like it, but I'll give it a shot just because I like Criterion's other games excluding BOP. I've already said it's hard to fault them because they're so passionate about what they're doing and they do it well. It's just upsetting that they are only heading in one direction. They left a lot of their fans behind when they made BOP. I hope they can address all these issues.

jett said:
Man what???? Criterion I am disappoint.

They also said that it's the best example of a game running at 30fps while appearing to run at 60fps. But yeah, i'm surprised that it's not 60fps. Most of their games have run at 60fps.

Gomu Gomu

Apparently this German website claims that this is the cars list for the game:

* Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
* Alfa Romeo 8C Spyder
* Aston Martin DBS
* Aston Martin DBS Volante
* Aston Martin One-77
* Aston Martin V12 Vantage
* Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro
* Audi R8 Spyder 5.2 FSI quattro
* Audi TT RS Coupé
* Bentley Continental Supersports
* BMW M3 E92
* BMW M6 Convertible
* BMW Z4 sDrive35is
* Bugatti Veyron 16.4
* Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport
* Carbon Motors E7
* Chevrolet Camaro SS
* Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
* Chevrolet Corvette Z06
* Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
* Dodge Challenger SRT8
* Dodge Charger SRT8
* Dodge Viper SRT10
* Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR
* Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
* Ford GT
* Ford Police Interceptor Concept
* Ford Shelby GT500
* Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake
* Jaguar XKR
* Koenigsegg Agera
* Koenigsegg CCX
* Koenigsegg CCXR Edition
* Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni
* Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
* Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder
* Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
* Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640-4
* Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 SV
* Lamborghini Reventón
* Lamborghini Reventón Roadster
* Maserati GranCabrio
* Maserati GranTurismo S Automatic
* Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S
* Mazda RX-8
* McLaren F1
* McLaren MP4-12C
* Mercedes-Benz SL65 Black Series
* Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 Edition
* Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss
* Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
* Mitsubishi Lancer EVOLUTION X
* Nissan 370Z Coupe
* Nissan 370Z Roadster
* Nissan GT-R SpecV (R35)
* Pagani Zonda Cinque
* Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster
* Porsche 911 GT3 RS
* Porsche 911 Targa 4S
* Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet
* Porsche 918 Spyder (Concept Study)
* Porsche Boxster Spyder
* Porsche Carrera GT
* Porsche Cayman S
* Porsche Panamera Turbo
* Subaru Impreza WRX STI

-viper-

Banned
I'd take 30FPS as long as its rock solid.

The graphics already look so much better than Burnout Paradise - which to be frank looks pretty ugly.

Anticitizen One said:
I just hate open world racing games. Arcade style racing games should be linear
I agree with you in general but then Test Drive Unlimited is always that nagging doubt in the back of my head. That game was great. I think what seperated that game from Burnout Paradise, among other things, was the race courses weren't as confusing and you had a GPS to help you.

Here's hoping they learned from complaints about BUP. What's also going to help is there's going to be more open road racing and less (or no) city racing this time around, as far as I know.

eso76

-viper- said:
The graphics already look so much better than Burnout Paradise - which to be frank looks pretty ugly.

just finally grabbed BOP ultimate box which i've been meaning to pick up for cheap for a long time (used to have vanilla BOP) and after all this time it still is very impressive for an open world 60fps game, especially considering the amount of chaos onscreen, the draw distance and dynamic shadows going with night/day cycle.

Unfortunately, i completely forgot Paradise City's layout; used to be a decent player, and i found most events fun and exciting, but it's required that you memorize the entire map to achieve decent results during races.
That's Burnout though; NFS doesn't need to be as fast and busy. In a NFS game you'll see turns much earlier and the fact they chose not to include urban settings means there shouldn't be as many 90° turns or impossible shortcuts; you can see from the videos the game has a completely different flow from BOP, the map has a much, much less complex layout. An open world racer doesn't necessarily have to be confusing, and NFS seems to be doing it right.

Neuromancer said:
I agree with you in general but then Test Drive Unlimited is always that nagging doubt in the back of my head. That game was great. I think what seperated that game from Burnout Paradise, among other things, was the race courses weren't as confusing and you had a GPS to help you.
Can not be said enough, TDU did the open world approach perfect. Can't wait for TDU2.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Figured I'd bump this thread up with a new video I found linked below. If anyone else has any media or impressions from PAX, please share. As far as the video is concerned, it looks like online is a huge focus. I'm hoping they have some offline stuff in there. Also, the framerate has lots of slowdown which is surprising coming from Criterion. Hopefully, they'll fix it before launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMEcIBiFpU

Top Bottom