• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need For Speed Hot Pursuit revealed [EA-CONF]

MadOdorMachine said:
Figured I'd bump this thread up with a new video I found linked below. If anyone else has any media or impressions from PAX, please share. As far as the video is concerned, it looks like online is a huge focus. I'm hoping they have some offline stuff in there. Also, the framerate has lots of slowdown which is surprising coming from Criterion. Hopefully, they'll fix it before launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMEcIBiFpU
I was there, and I played it. It was the E3 demo, with two booths having additional 3 other tracks.

Played over and Over again.

In a way, it is a halfway point between the old Hot Pursuits I remembered, and Burnout Paradise. I'll just list off things I remembered:

Game is rock solid 30 FPS.
Base was 1 Nitro + 2 Spike Strip powerups.
Earn additional boost with driving skills (directly from Burnout: oncoming, close call, drifts)
cops were tailing pretty closely.
Handbrakes respond closer to NFS games than Paradise.
Drifiting is much harder to nail correctly compared to Paradise.
Grinding on walls/rails slows you down.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AlphaTwo00 said:
I was there, and I played it. It was the E3 demo, with two booths having additional 3 other tracks.

Played over and Over again.

In a way, it is a halfway point between the old Hot Pursuits I remembered, and Burnout Paradise. I'll just list off things I remembered:

Game is rock solid 30 FPS.
Base was 1 Nitro + 2 Spike Strip powerups.
Earn additional boost with driving skills (directly from Burnout: oncoming, close call, drifts)
cops were tailing pretty closely.
Handbrakes respond closer to NFS games than Paradise.
Drifiting is much harder to nail correctly compared to Paradise.
Grinding on walls/rails slows you down.
Thanks for the impressions. The framerate seems to be a bit erratic in the video I linked. Was it like that in the game or is it just the capture? Also, did you see if the game has an offline campaign mode? BOP was all online and it's fine to include it, but I don't want it online only.

MadOdorMachine said:
Thanks for the impressions. The framerate seems to be a bit erratic in the video I linked. Was it like that in the game or is it just the capture? Also, did you see if the game has an offline campaign mode? BOP was all online and it's fine to include it, but I don't want it online only.
It's definitely capture. The game ran very smooth.

As for campaign, they only had shown that one track, and I briefly saw the other station, looks like it can be both online and offline. It definitely wasn't throwing that Autolog stuff in right in your face.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We all know it's not a Hot Pursuit game without slowdown (on consoles). It's a series trademark. They've never been unplayable anyways. This is, of course, Criterion so we can bank on some more solid performance.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Played this at PAX and, yeah, looked real solid and played well.

The one thing I wish they had shown is more of an open world experience than the strict racing mission they were showcasing on the floor. On its own, the gameplay seemed pretty basic, but knowing there's a Paradise City-esque world of quests and such has me excited (I just wish they'd show MORE of it).

EMBee99 said:
Played this at PAX and, yeah, looked real solid and played well.

The one thing I wish they had shown is more of an open world experience than the strict racing mission they were showcasing on the floor.
I think the GAF crowd actually would enjoy knowing that fact. Many weren't happy with NFS being open world, apparently.

Yes. The tracks are "fenced off" with Giant Yellow arrows if the road is actually an intersection.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
AlphaTwo00 said:
I think the GAF crowd actually would enjoy knowing that fact. Many weren't happy with NFS being open world, apparently.

Yes. The tracks are "fenced off" with Giant Yellow arrows if the road is actually an intersection.

I agree on the hate for NFS open world...

.....but Criterion/Burnout Paradise open world? That's a sexy proposition right there. :D

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm glad to hear good impressions. The video also shows a more traditional style race rather than a pursuit. November's coming up quick, so I hope they start hyping the game a little more. It seems like EA's being unusually quiet for a NFS game, especially one as anticipated as this.

With regard to BOP, the problem I had with the open world was not knowing where to go during a race and the time it took to start up a race. I prefer arcade racers, so I like to pick a car, pick a track and go. If there's a way they could make it a more integrated experience like unlocking certain areas one at a time and then toward the end of the game you have this big open world, I might be more interested. It just seemed too overwhelming to try and memorize what they were throwing at you with BOP.

Edit - One more thing. Were there any circuit type races or where they point to point?

ram

EMBee99 said:
I agree on the hate for NFS open world...

.....but Criterion/Burnout Paradise open world? That's a sexy proposition right there. :D

ergh what? criterions open world was the reason why racing in paradise sucked. its good that you dont have to look on the map in races.

Chris R

ram said:
ergh what? criterions open world was the reason why racing in paradise sucked. its good that you dont have to look on the map in races.
Ergh what? Open world racing made the racing in a burnout game enjoyable. I enjoyed the racing element for the first time in a burnout game, where before I only enjoyed the crashing for points bits.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
jeez..i liked the open world stuff but i didnt like the paradise way of having to switch to a map every ten seconds to figure out where to go. If they kept an overworld but closed off roads to make tracks like in other games i would be totally fine with that.

ram

rhfb said:
Ergh what? Open world racing made the racing in a burnout game enjoyable. I enjoyed the racing element for the first time in a burnout game, where before I only enjoyed the crashing for points bits.

so you dont like arcade racing? because brunout 2/ 3 / revenge were near perfect arcade racers.

If they kept an overworld but closed off roads to make tracks like in other games i would be totally fine with that.

this is the way to go. and need for speed did this since underground 2.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ram said:

Precisely why I didn't buy it. Came this close to, but I loathe open world racing where there's no clear direction on where to go. Closed circuits make the world go round.

ACH1LL3US

NEW video showing the Carrera GT in what I would say is the most visually appealing track shows thus far! It has water on the ground.. and when it gets dark the lightning is SICK! This is what we have been waiting for guys... its def what I envisioned a real HP sequel to look like! Heres the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HKf9zutzzI

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The graphics look amazing. This game kind of reminds me of Outrun. I suppose that's not a bad thing, but I'm a bit concerned they haven't shown any circuit races yet. So far, every race I've seen has a rolling start. Also, does anyone else find the lack of coverage for this game from major sites a bit disappointing? It's coming out in roughly 2 months and there's been little coverage for what's arguably the most anticipated NFS game in years.

ACH1LL3US

MadOdorMachine said:
The graphics look amazing. This game kind of reminds me of Outrun. I suppose that's not a bad thing, but I'm a bit concerned they haven't shown any circuit races yet. So far, every race I've seen has a rolling start. Also, does anyone else find the lack of coverage for this game from major sites a bit disappointing? It's coming out in roughly 2 months and there's been little coverage for what's arguably the most anticipated NFS game in years.

I do agree it looks alot like Outrun, and I think one of the interviews of Craig Sullivan they are taking cues from Outrun ( extreme drifting) combined with some Burnout type open world with old school need for speed locales. That video I linked shows a more traditional A to B race like the old school need for speeds. I personally cant wait for this... it will be EPIC on the PC imho!

Also I love how they got the Carrera GT tail to raise up at speed like the real car... that is sweet! The Murci also has it side gills open up too, I dont believe any racing game thus far has done that to my knowledge..

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Blackvette94 said:
I do agree it looks alot like Outrun, and I think one of the interviews of Craig Sullivan they are taking cues from Outrun ( extreme drifting) combined with some Burnout type open world with old school need for speed locales. That video I linked shows a more traditional A to B race like the old school need for speeds. I personally cant wait for this... it will be EPIC on the PC imho!
Did the old school NFS games not have circuits? I've only briefly played the original HP on PS1 and they had them IIRC. I'm not against point to point races, I just hope they mix it up some.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It will be epic for any platform.

It's looking like a real NFS for the first time in a long time. Can't wait to do some online with this.

ACH1LL3US

MadOdorMachine said:
Did the old school NFS games not have circuits? I've only briefly played the original HP on PS1 and they had them IIRC. I'm not against point to point races, I just hope they mix it up some.

Yes, your right, some of the tracks were circuits, others were point A to B :) I am sure they will mix this up!

MadOdorMachine said:
My favorite NFS, NFS IV: High Stakes, only had circuit races I believe.

ACH1LL3US

LiquidMetal14 said:
It will be epic for any platform.

It's looking like a real NFS for the first time in a long time. Can't wait to do some online with this.

I love 60fps... I think the console versions will be 30 fps, but your right any version will be sweet!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Opus Angelorum said:
This is a recent video showcasing the Autolog Recommends feature.

Autolog Recommends (Watch it in 720p for justice)

The visuals are beautiful, and the' take-downs' are very Burnout. I have to say this looks like a return to form.
The graphics are beautiful, but I'm still a bit cautious on how the open world will play. Two more months until it's released! Hopefully we'll get a demo soon.

Pandemic

Blackvette94 said:
Sullivan says the game is almost done... and it comes out in two months.. so if its almost done... why will it take two months to get to the stores I wonder :/
Probably takes them 2 months to polish the game...? :p

I'm hoping the demo is released very soon, very eager to play this game.

Opus Angelorum said:
This is a recent video showcasing the Autolog Recommends feature.

Autolog Recommends (Watch it in 720p for justice)

The visuals are beautiful, and the' take-downs' are very Burnout. I have to say this looks like a return to form.
Interesting, this is at least the third showing where the HUD has changed. AGAIN. It's much different than both the E3 version, and the following "July-August" showings (which was identical to later showings at PAX and such)

I haven't been this hyped for a game in a long time. They brought back Hot Pursuit in the best way possible (Criterion)

Now, hoping EA will finally grace us with a kick ass Road Rash

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Criterion tweeted today they were close to finishing it. I can feel the marketing campaign heating up already.:D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
PS, if someone can make me an avatar with the MP4-12C cop car, that would be cool.

PPS, the latest trailer seems to confirm manual shifting is in. :D

ILikeFeet

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
:-(

I got my hands burned last time I spoke in the GT5 thread (I'll fess up to the blatant trolling), so I'm staying here.

Hot Pursuit will score higher than GT5 on the gaming mags/website reviews, I'm calling it.
No. I can't see it. They hype alone will assure GT5's dominance

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Danneee said:
Thats just lazy. Why would every NFS game before it have had a cockpit view then?
Correction, you mean every game from the first to Porsche Unleashed, then Motor City Online, then Shift.

ILikeFeet said:
No. I can't see it. They hype alone will assure GT5's dominance
I've seen the hype backfire horribly several times this generation alone.

Top Bottom