• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need For Speed Hot Pursuit revealed [EA-CONF]

Pandemic said:
Here's a new Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Demo Preview by Gamespot.

http://tgs.gamespot.com/video/6276523/?hd=1

All gameplay.

It showed some new cars like.. the Taurus SHO which is this car,
Ford_Taurus_Police_Interceptor.jpg

It's a car I'm definitely excited to drive. :]
Ah nice!

Police Lamborghinis are funny and all, but these are the kind of vehicles I'm more interested in seeing.

Oh also, I hope they put a 'siren/horn' button on the steering wheel. That's my biggest bummer about Burnout Paradise, if there's a way to sound the horn/run the siren on the MS racing wheel I haven't found it.

ILikeFeet

Banned
looks great of course, but I hate when someone is trying to play the game and do an interview at the same time. fucking hate that! >_<

AnonymousNoob said:
Wait, so does the Limited Edition exist for PS3/Wii anymore or what?

Amazon only shows X360/PC with a Limited Edition band.

The LE should be the only version of the game out when it ships.

I'm more concerned about how the Wii version actually IS, someone on GAF a bit ago said he beta tested it IIRC and said it's "okay".

Never followed up on that seemingly. :/

UFRA

Neuromancer said:
Ah nice!

Police Lamborghinis are funny and all, but these are the kind of vehicles I'm more interested in seeing.

Oh also, I hope they put a 'siren/horn' button on the steering wheel. That's my biggest bummer about Burnout Paradise, if there's a way to sound the horn/run the siren on the MS racing wheel I haven't found it.

I feel the same way.

It's fun and all cruising in a Lambo police car and what-not, but I feel kinda stupid and far fetched playing like that. I realize the game is far fetched to begin with, but to drive in more realistic police cars makes it even cooler. :D

ILikeFeet

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
I'm more concerned about how the Wii version actually IS, someone on GAF a bit ago said he beta tested it IIRC and said it's "okay".

it's prolly easier to not think about it. last I heard it's running on the Undercover/Nitro engine. Nitro almost had it. they just needed online play >_< I get the feeling that this won't have online either. EA is really inconsistant with Wii online

Pandemic

Neuromancer said:
Ah nice!

Yeah, it's good to drive some realistic vehicles, alongside some fantasy cars.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
ILikeFeet said:
it's prolly easier to not think about it. last I heard it's running on the Undercover/Nitro engine. Nitro almost had it. they just needed online play >_< I get the feeling that this won't have online either. EA is really inconsistant with Wii online
Nitro ran at 60 fps and was more arcadey. For people not into the open world, it may be a suitable alternative. It's one of the rare third party exclusives that could potentially offer comparable features to it's HD brethren.

Pandemic

Criterion has now the full map of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, and reveals that it claims to be four times larger than of Burnout Paradise.
Mappa-Need-for-Speed-Hot-Pursuit.jpg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Im nervous.

NFS:HP2 is pretty much the best racing game ever.

I want to be excited, but I expect the annual disappointment to continue.

:(

Hero of Legend said:

According to wiki, the studio doing the Wii version has never made a Wii game.

:/

eso76

map might be 4 times larger than BP's but if those in the map are the only roads there are, you won't be able to drive through or even see most of it, like 80%.

Other than that, they certainly did the right thing by using mostly long straights, but i think that claim is a little misleading

DonMigs85

jamesinclair said:
According to wiki, the studio doing the Wii version has never made a Wii game.

:/
Kinda like Gameloft, they've only focused on handheld and cell phone games in the past.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
jamesinclair said:
Im nervous.

I'm anxious about it as well. We'll see how it turns out. The second they announced that it was open world I got worried, but I'm still hoping they have circuit races. If they do, then I think it can potentially be better than HP2. They haven't shown any in previews though. It's all been point to point races with the auto log. It's cool that they have that, but looking at that map, they could easily include an arcade mode with a traditional track selection. There's a lot they can do with that interconnecting world. I hope the start you off in closed circuits and slowly combine them together. By the end of the game you could be on huge, epic races.

As far as HP2 goes, I'm hoping they port it over to PS3 in one of the PS2 classic games. I'd pay full price to play it in HD and widescreen. If they could get the framerate better and allow transferring over save files from PS2, that would be even better!

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't really kept up with this but I watched that interview and it looks like it could be really fun. Have they revealed the a car list yet?

DonMigs85

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm anxious about it as well. We'll see how it turns out. The second they announced that it was open world I got worried, but I'm still hoping they have circuit races. If they do, then I think it can potentially be better than HP2. They haven't shown any in previews though. It's all been point to point races with the auto log. It's cool that they have that, but looking at that map, they could easily include an arcade mode with a traditional track selection. There's a lot they can do with that interconnecting world. I hope the start you off in closed circuits and slowly combine them together. By the end of the game you could be on huge, epic races.

As far as HP2 goes, I'm hoping they port it over to PS3 in one of the PS2 classic games. I'd pay full price to play it in HD and widescreen. If they could get the framerate better and allow transferring over save files from PS2, that would be even better!
Never played Underground 2, Most Wanted, or Carbon? They still had tons of blocked-off circuit races.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
DonMigs85 said:
Never played Underground 2, Most Wanted, or Carbon? They still had tons of blocked-off circuit races.
I hope that's the case here. Were they selectable from a menu, or was it something you had to customize yourself?

DonMigs85

MadOdorMachine said:
I hope that's the case here. Were they selectable from a menu, or was it something you had to customize yourself?
You could choose them from a menu. They were all predetermined routes as part of the main career mode. If I remember right you could also design custom routes.

crispyben

Pandemic said:
Criterion has now the full map of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, and reveals that it claims to be four times larger than of Burnout Paradise.
http://www.vgnews24.com/v24/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Mappa-Need-for-Speed-Hot-Pursuit.jpg
Nice! I see there are four subdivisions, and my previous road list was almost complete from what I can decipher:

NE quarter
Eagle Crest Road
Fox Lair Pass
Fairview Road
East Gorge Freeway

SE quarter
East Gorge Freeway
Boulder Road
Silver Creek Road
Three Points Road
Hope Canyon Freeway

SW quarter
Hope Canyon Freeway
Mission Beach
South Bay Turnpike
Sunset Drive
Lost Horse Road
Grand Ocean Road
Carson Ridge
Cascade Terrace
West Beach Freeway
Coral Bay Drive

NW quarter
Rockingham Road
South Face Drive
Big Timber Pass
Oakmont Valley
Mystic Lake Road
Lakeside Avenue
Memorial Highway

jamesinclair said:
Im nervous.

Right there with you my friend. NFS: HP2 is one of my favorite games of all time, up there with Mario 64 and a couple of others. A lot of years, I get excited, thinking "this is the year! this will be the year they turn it around and get back to the glory days!" and am annually disappointed.

The open worldness and Burnout aracadeyness make me a little nervous, but I'll keep coming back and giving NFS a shot like an abused spouse or something.

Elixist

Same boat. Loved Hot Pursuit2 to pieces and love Burnout, but from what I've seen of this why am I not all hot and bothered? Is this 30 frames on console? No sale for sure if so.

eso76

seriously, why does everyone still consider this 'open world' ? It really isn't.
The map layout is telling, if videos were not clear enough.
This is not open world as in BP open world, with tons of intersections and intricated maps, 90° turns and alleys. It's not even free roaming, it's just a number of mostly straightforward point to point tracks, which happen to connect with each other and be carved inside the same large map.
This is more like the original NFS (except the 3 main A->B tracks were not connected). It's more like Outrun if you like, with one intersection every several miles.

I'm not hot and bothered for this because I am so bored of open world racing games.

Burnout Paradise is probably the best of them, but the entire reason I wanted them to go back to the old Hot Pursuit style is because I wanted more environments. I'm tired of the dull repetition that open world racing games so easily succumb to. By that I mean:

I spend the entire game in the same place. I drive around a neighborhood looking for a race location, and once I start up that race, it's the same neighborhood I was just in, except now they're shuttling me down a specific pathway in that neighborhood. I've already seen this neighborhood.

NFS:HP and HP2 were great because you had race tracks in Rome, Yellowstone, Hawaii... each location was visually different and offered up unique track designs. I appreciate the work Criterion has put in to this in developing four distinct "flavors" in their open world map design, but I'm STILL going to encounter "I drove out here to race, and the race is set up using the exact route I took to get out here in the first place".

This is quickly turning out to be not the bold revival I was looking for in the NFS franchise. Not that I don't have faith in Criterion, not that I think it will be a bad game, just... still not for me, despite effort to apparently make it for me.

Edit:

eso76 said:
seriously, why does everyone still consider this 'open world' ? It really isn't.
This is not open world as in BP open world, with tons of intersections and intricated maps, 90° turns and alleys. It's not even free roaming, it's just a number of mostly straightforward point to point tracks, which happen to connect with each other and be carved inside the same large map.
This is more like the original NFS (except the 3 main A->B tracks were not connected). It's more like Outrun if you like, with one intersection every several miles.

Really? You will have to excuse me for hearing them say "OPEN WORLD RACING GAME" and my eyes glazing over for everything to follow.

This may be more worth a look than I thought.

eso76

Sega1991 said:
Really? You will have to excuse me for hearing them say "OPEN WORLD RACING GAME" and my eyes glazing over for everything to follow.

This may be more worth a look than I thought.

they may call it open world, as in you can choose to turn back and choose your next destination at each intersection (which going by the map are very few and far in between)but that's all. Criterion (or EA) used the term open world thinking it would appeal to casuals and it probably does, but the videos and the map tell it's a very different 'open world' from Burnout Paradise's and TDU's; it's more a case of long a-b races which happen to be linked together and on the same geographic area.

That is UNLESS the ones we see in the map aren't the only roadS available, but from the videos i'd say this is not the case, and it's clearly not like TDU where you can go offroad anywhere you want.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get my Burnout Paradise / Midtown Madness / Need for Speed hybrid I was hoping for.
Will wait and see how this progresses. My pre-order stays for now.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
eso76 said:

eso76 said:
they may call it open world, as in you can choose to turn back and choose your next destination at each intersection (which going by the map are very few and far in between)but that's all. Criterion (or EA) used the term open world thinking it would appeal to casuals and it probably does, but the videos and the map tell it's a very different 'open world' from Burnout Paradise's and TDU's; it's more a case of long a-b races which happen to be linked together and on the same geographic area.

That is UNLESS the ones we see in the map aren't the only roadS available, but from the videos i'd say this is not the case, and it's clearly not like TDU where you can go offroad anywhere you want.
That's my problem with it. I don't see a lap count in the HUD at all. Hopefully that option will be in there, but after BO:p I'm not so sure. I wouldn't mind the free roaming or point to point races if you could also select tracks once they've been unlocked.

Can anyone give me a rundown of the racetypes we've seen so far? Is there just a stright up race between 6+ people where the Police is just AI controlled?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Net_Wrecker said:
Can anyone give me a rundown of the racetypes we've seen so far? Is there just a stright up race between 6+ people where the Police is just AI controlled?
So far we've seen cops vs. racers and racers vs. racers. The police can be AI or player controlled.

Love the map. It's great that it's just a few main roads as opposed to the tangled mess that open world games usually are. It helps keep the racing more focused (it's almost like a bunch of proper individual tracks added together).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MadOdorMachine said:
That's my problem with it. I don't see a lap count in the HUD at all. Hopefully that option will be in there, but after BO:p I'm not so sure. I wouldn't mind the free roaming or point to point races if you could also select tracks once they've been unlocked.

if you had laps, wouldn't the police just wait by the start/finish line with a stinger?

mr_nothin

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Love the map. It's great that it's just a few main roads as opposed to the tangled mess that open world games usually are. It helps keep the racing more focused (it's almost like a bunch of proper individual tracks added together).
I can get behind this, and in front of it too ;)
Although I would like some circuit races

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
mrklaw said:
if you had laps, wouldn't the police just wait by the start/finish line with a stinger?
In HP2 they had point to point and circuit races. I'm pretty sure you had a time limit either way, but it's been a while since I played pursuit mode on it. I normally just play for a quick couple of races. I think you either had to stop a car before it got to a finish line in a point to point, or stop a certain number of drivers on a circuit. You could call in road blocks, helicopters w/bombs and spike strips or another cop to assist you.

eso76

MadOdorMachine said:

i don't think there will be any closed tracks, to be honest. I am under the impression that getting from one itersection to the next will take several minutes.

I'm not complaining, this is my idea of NFS, actually.
The feeling of 'going somewhere' instead of just racing, the roads which stretched realistically for miles in front of you...i think this is the right way to handle a true NFS, but that's probably because i have especially fond memories of the first.

Top Bottom