• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need For Speed Hot Pursuit revealed [EA-CONF]

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Dead Man said:
How is it different though? You should still be able to do that, just with a point to point race. Or is that not going to be available?
With a circuit, I can select how many laps I want to do. I don't know how that will work in a game like this. I guess they'll just give you checkpoints to reach and leave it up to you how to get there. It would be cool if they would let you create circuits on your own. Looking at the map posted earlier, there's potential for them but it seems the game wasn't designed around this. The article specifically states they are omitting it. It's a bad design choice imo.

Pandemic

Here are some new screenshots,
Z06cop.jpg

gt_2_CARPAGE.jpg

GrandSport.jpg

BMW.jpg

Dead Man

MadOdorMachine said:
With a circuit, I can select how many laps I want to do. I don't know how that will work in a game like this. I guess they'll just give you checkpoints to reach and leave it up to you how to get there. It would be cool if they would let you create circuits on your own. Looking at the map posted earlier, there's potential for them but it seems the game wasn't designed around this. The article specifically states they are omitting it. It's a bad design choice imo.
Fair enough. I love that it will be point to point. Different strokes I guess.

Gravijah

gt_2_CARPAGE.jpg

Eek, very bad shot of the Ford GT. The angle... I don't really know how to put it, but the lines of the car are sorta "muted".

The more I look at these screens the more I wonder why it's 30fps, they look poly starved in a few areas, the ford GT window frame is a good obvious one.

Vhalyar

Diablohead said:
The more I look at these screens the more I wonder why it's 30fps, they look poly starved in a few areas, the ford GT window frame is a good obvious one.
I imagine that the PC version isn't FPS capped, right? Right?

Diablohead said:
What the hell, it's only 30 fps? I assumed 60 fps was a given considering it's Criterion.

I guess the demo will have to convince me not to switch my preorder to something else.

AndyMoogle said:
What the hell, it's only 30 fps? I assumed 60 fps was a given considering it's Criterion.

I guess the demo will have to convince me not to switch my preorder to something else.
30 on 360 and ps3, whatever the fuck you want on pc :lol

Diablohead said:
30 on 360 and ps3, whatever the fuck you want on pc :lol
But it doesn't look like it should be 30 fps on consoles. Burnout Paradise runs at 60, and from what I've seen of NFS it really should be possible at 60.

ACH1LL3US

AndyMoogle said:
But it doesn't look like it should be 30 fps on consoles. Burnout Paradise runs at 60, and from what I've seen of NFS it really should be possible at 60.

Actually, the polys on NFS HP's cars is alot higher then the BP cars. The world is alot more detailed and the lighting is more advanced. I would wager once you play it you will know why its 30 fps on the console :)

MadOdorMachine said:
Pretty much confirms my fears about the game. What a stupid, lame decision. Words can't begin to express my disappointment.
It's called Hot Pursuit for Pete's sake. How can you pursue someone in a circuit? Plus, BP didn't have any circuit races either so it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

Pandemic

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit PC Specs have been released,
Min Specs:
OS: Windows® XP SP 3 (32-64 bits) / Windows Vista® (32-64 bits) / Windows 7® (32-64 bits)
Processor: Intel Core® 2 Duo 1.8 GHZ or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4GHZ
Memory: 1.5 GB Windows® XP / 2 GB Windows Vista® - Windows 7®
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0 compliant card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (see supported list)
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0
Hard Drive: 8.0 GB
Sound: DirectX 9.0 –compliant sound card
Supported Peripherals: Keyboard, optional controller

Recommended:
OS: Windows® XP SP 3 (32-64 bits) / Windows Vista® (32-64 bits) / Windows 7® (32-64 bits)
Processor: Intel Core® 2 Duo E6700 2.6 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ or better
Memory: 1.5 GB Windows® XP / 2 GB Windows Vista® - Windows 7®
Graphics: GeForce 8800 GT or ATI Radeon HD 4700 or better
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0
Hard Drive: 8 GB free space
Sound: 5.1 sound card
Supported Peripherals: Keyboard, joystick optional (Xbox 360® Controller for Windows recommended)

Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: ATI® RADEON® X1950, hd 2000/3000/4000/5000 series NVIDIA GeForce ® 7 (7600 or better)/8/9/100/200 series.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/2640462.page

Along with 2 new confirmed cars,
Aston Martin One-77
Aston-Martin-One-77-R.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550-2 Valentino Balboni
valentinobalboni_2_CARPAGES.jpg

With the Balboni and One-77 confirmed it looks like that leaked car list for Hot Pursuit was real. Which means that there are no Ferrari's in the game (not surprising considering the licensing situation).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
allegate said:
It's called Hot Pursuit for Pete's sake. How can you pursue someone in a circuit?
Never played this game, I assume?
538175_51045_front.jpg

So good, I went out and bought another copy just a few weeks ago to tide me over until this new one releases. Great game.

Pandemic

Here's another new car that was just confirmed,
Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640
murcielago640_1_CARPAGE.jpg

All the Laborghini's look a lot like each other.. :p

Pimpbaa

Graphics are so amazing. But then again I'm not surprised considering how great Burnout Paradise looked at 60fps.

bishoptl said:
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/5/538175_51045_front.jpg[IMG]

So good, I went out and bought another copy just a few weeks ago to tide me over until this new one releases. Great game.[/QUOTE]
NFS3 was the version I prefer, owned it on ps1 and pc woo :D

UFRA

Diablohead said:
NFS3 was the version I prefer, owned it on ps1 and pc woo :D

Same here. PC only here though. Definitely was my favorite cops n' robbers game until NFS: High Stakes came along.

bishoptl said:
538175_51045_front.jpg

So good, I went out and bought another copy just a few weeks ago to tide me over until this new one releases. Great game.
Nope, but I'll get it to see what a circuit-based pursuit is like.

ILikeFeet

Banned
allegate said:
Nope, but I'll get it to see what a circuit-based pursuit is like.

like in cop chases in circuit races? Most Wanted had that. it's the same as point to point races with cops (but going in a circle!), at the end of the race it becomes a free roaming pursuit

bishoptl said:
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/5/538175_51045_front.jpg[IMG]

So good, I went out and bought another copy just a few weeks ago to tide me over until this new one releases. Great game.[/QUOTE]
Or this one

[IMG]http://www.jilansville.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nfs_high_stakes.jpg

Can't tell from the cover but the game had a very big 'hot pursuit' component as well, all on circuit based tracks. One of my favorite PS1 games of all time.

UFRA

Neuromancer said:
Or this one

Can't tell from the cover but the game had a very big 'hot pursuit' component as well, all on circuit based tracks. One of my favorite PS1 games of all time.

:D You and I think very alike when it comes to NFS games I see. This was my favorite NFS game ever.

Subtle details, like being able to activate the left and right turn signals, or 4 way hazards was so cool! :lol

Really enjoyed the pursuits in this game as well.

Senua

Gold Member
bishoptl said:
538175_51045_front.jpg

best need for speed right there

Fender_Uk said:
best need for speed right there
I liked it for the most part but the helicopters dropping explosive barrels on you was too ridiculous for my tastes. Of course this game's going to be even less realistic with the EMPs and everything. Oh well.

UFRA said:
:D You and I think very alike when it comes to NFS games I see. This was my favorite NFS game ever.

Subtle details, like being able to activate the left and right turn signals, or 4 way hazards was so cool! :lol

Really enjoyed the pursuits in this game as well.
Not to mention a great soundtrack, and having the cops on the radio speaking in their native language wherever in the world you were racing. Awesome, just awesome. Attentions to detail you never see anymore.

Neuromancer said:
Or this one

nfs_high_stakes.jpg

My favorite as well although the best way to play it is on PC. I did like how the PSX version had the cops yelling at you to pull over on a loud speaker instead of radio chatter on the PC though.

UFRA

Neuromancer said:
Not to mention a great soundtrack, and having the cops on the radio speaking in their native language wherever in the world you were racing. Awesome, just awesome. Attentions to detail you never see anymore.

So true. It's amazing to think that it was only a PS1 title. It has so many details and well thought out design that you'd think it was a game of this gen. Oh how I would just melt with joy if there was a 1:1 remake of it but with the only difference being a graphics overhaul. I would just...totally...die.

In the meantime, I'm sure I'll still get a lot of fun out of this Hot Pursuit, but nothing will stop me from looking back at what we used to play; wishing that developers would go back to some of those basic successes rather than going for the massive action approach.

210djbt.jpg

Weird that there's a driver in the car after they [Criterion] had to axe them [drivers] from the Burnout games to keep the ESRB at E10+.

I've been on a bit of media blackout for this game so pardon my lack of knowledge, but I assume this (in addition to the use of licensed cars) means they've toned down the crashes?

Either that or this is going to get the Need for Speed ESRB exception?

Althoran

I have been keeping clear of the NFS series for a while, because I lost interest in it. But this one I will definitely buy.
Criterion made the amazing Burnout Paradise and everything I see from this game tells me it will be good.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
AnonymousNoob said:
I've been on a bit of media blackout for this game so pardon my lack of knowledge, but I assume this (in addition to the use of licensed cars) means they've toned down the crashes?

Yeah the crashes are nothing like Burnout.

EDIT: WHAT no split screen?!?!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AnonymousNoob said:
210djbt.jpg

Weird that there's a driver in the car after they [Criterion] had to axe them [drivers] from the Burnout games to keep the ESRB at E10+.

Either that or this is going to get the Need for Speed ESRB exception?
There's no way in hell any real-life car marque would allow Burnout-style damage on their cars.

Pimpbaa

Does this game have garbage licensed music or original music? I know this is a stupid question considering this is EA and Burnout 2 was the last racing game from Criterion to have original music.

Top Bottom