• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PlayStation Rewards" Program Announced (US)

V_Ben

Banned
...I have no idea.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/27/introducing-playstation-rewards-a-new-way-to-earn-exclusive-status-and-recognition/

Today, we’re excited to share news of the launch of PlayStation Rewards, a new program that recognizes and rewards our users for simply doing what they love – playing games and interacting with the entertainment content that PlayStation has to offer. We really wanted to create something that says, “thank you” for being a loyal PlayStation fan.

5119693932_e6096b30b4.jpg

In its initial launch tomorrow (Oct. 28th), PlayStation Rewards will be an invitation-only beta to all eligible PlayStation Plus and Gamer Advisory Panel (GAP) members. We’re kicking things off as a beta so that we can get feedback from our most loyal fans in order to make it the best possible rewards program it can be. It’s also worth noting that during the beta phase, the program will be focused on PlayStation 3 owners, but we hope to include PSP users as well not too far down the road. Oh, and one more thing: PlayStation Rewards will be free – there is no fee to join!

Now, to give you a bit more details on the new loyalty program… PlayStation Rewards is designed to give you the opportunity to gain exclusive status, recognition, and rewards as a thank you for your continued interest in PlayStation. And, the best part is that you don’t have to do anything different. Keep playing new games, buying content purchased from PlayStation Network in the PlayStation Store and PlayStation Home, download movies and TV shows, or just communicate with us by taking one of our surveys, for example, and you’ll now be recognized for it.

The more you play and participate, the more progress you’ll make through our three reward tiers — “Select,” “Pro,” and “Legendary.” As your status increases, so do the rewards. And if you want to check out your current status level, simply go to your private profile page and look at the reward progress meter.

So what do you get? Right now, rewards include things like…

* Exclusive PSN avatars that display member status in the program
* Exclusive dynamic themes and PlayStation Home content
* Opportunities throughout the program year to participate in members-only sweepstakes and giveaways for experiences and merchandise you won’t find elsewhere (The first of which is an all expenses paid trip to the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, as PlayStation’s guest)

5119693754_5f1fc60a1f.jpg

That’s just the start and our plan is to continually grow and improve the reward offering as the program itself evolves. Your feedback in this beta period will help make the program even better!!

If you’re a GAP member or PlayStation Plus subscriber in the U.S., who is opted-in to marketing as of October 24th, be sure to look for your invitation and sign-up for PlayStation Rewards.

To learn more about our new loyalty program, check back tomorrow when the site will be live and the beta forum will be available for all eligible participants.

We look forward to showing you our appreciation along the way!

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure what it is. Free stuff for... playing games and buying stuff from the PSN store? Yeah? Sounds cool?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
and Gamer Advisory Panel (GAP) members.

And watch me get passed over even though I just got their stupid newsletters yesterday.

Even though I've been part of GAP for years now.

Really, the only good thing here is the giveaways. Maybe if they gave beta access (LOL PLUS ONLY) or games out (LOL EXPLOIT SERVEYS), it'd be more worthwhile. But how many people besides like... me... that only uses it for five minutes... is going to use/want the Home stuff?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
At first I was like "Cool, it'll be like Club Nintendo or that discount plan Microsoft said they were going to phase in eventually"

... but the actual offers mentioned don't really seem that interesting. Oh well, cool rewards for people who are into that kind of stuff.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Mofos never sent me a GAP invite even though I signed up long ago with all boxes checked to receive their bs advertisement. Thanks d-bags.

Eliciel

no love for canada?
no love for europe?

I mean seriously people in Europe should pay less money for the console than people in NA. You get netflix, you get demos, you get everything.

It's a fucked up place in a fucked up world. I'm gonna' cry now very hard and loud in front of my neighbours door. I want this service and I want netflix, too and everything else as well :(

xtop

oh oh, been a member of gap since the beginning! but have only seen one beta for the ps3, so i'm sure i'll be skipped over for this as well

This is very odd - I remember this EXACT jargan when I became a GAP member.

Sweepstakes, chances to go places, select betas, etc.

Its like GAP2 but they never implemented any of that BS in GAP1

It mecha no sents!

Greg

I haven't received an email from GAP since the merge of the IDs in like 2008... something must've gone wrong even though the IDs linked properly and I'm still checked to receive information from them.

Not missing much, I guess.

Keep playing new games

Makes me think they’re going to start bundling codes in with their games like how Square-Enix has their reward codes. I will never find any motivation to actually enter into their system. Trying to be open to this idea, because it’s free, but something about this just seems “click on our banners, you’re a winner” – esque about this.

Roto13

So what do you get? Right now, rewards include things like…

* Exclusive PSN avatars that display member status in the program
* Exclusive dynamic themes and PlayStation Home content
* Opportunities throughout the program year to participate in members-only sweepstakes and giveaways for experiences and merchandise you won’t find elsewhere (The first of which is an all expenses paid trip to the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, as PlayStation’s guest)
Oh.

Yeah, I don't really care about this then. You have to buy a lot of games to get things from Club Nintendo, but at least they're THINGS.

Xater

Stumpokapow said:
At first I was like "Cool, it'll be like Club Nintendo or that discount plan Microsoft said they were going to phase in eventually"

... but the actual offers mentioned don't really seem that interesting. Oh well, cool rewards for people who are into that kind of stuff.

This sounds more like "Thanks for being a consumer whore! Here is a free avatar!"

Takao

Banned
ThingontheFloor said:
Makes me think they’re going to start bundling codes in with their games like how Square-Enix has their reward codes. I will never find any motivation to actually enter into their system. Trying to be open to this idea, because it’s free, but something about this just seems “click on our banners, you’re a winner” – esque about this.

PSN purchasers am confused?

Its free, so people can't really complain.

Still, they need better rewards. Avatars and Home stuff. Most people don't care for that.

Should do a 'token scheme' where if you save up a certain amount of them, you can choose something for free.

distrbnce

Banned
ThingontheFloor said:

What a bizarre place for your imagination to go with this. I would think it just reads what games you play like trophy info.

And not specifically directed at you, but jeeze, it takes some real cynics to turn some free shit into some sort of awful burden. Gaf amazes.

Xater said:
This sounds more like "Thanks for being a consumer whore! Here is a free avatar!"

As opposed to the previous "You're a consumer whore!"

Phenomic

Well good news is some of these things are easy.

Quote:

And, the best part is that you don’t have to do anything different. Keep playing new games (done), buying content purchased from PlayStation Network in the PlayStation Store (done on occasion) and PlayStation Home (uhh no?), download movies and TV shows (not happening), or just communicate with us by taking one of our surveys (better be short).

krae_man

I hope they make qualifying purchases retroactive. I've bought a crap load of PSN games, SCEA published games, and Sony Hardware:lol

Also hold off on complaining about how crappy the rewards are. That blog post provides basically no information. Wait for them to announce the worthless rewards that make NOA Club Nintendo look godly and then start complaining.:lol

Galvanise_ said:
Its free, so people can't really complain.

Still, they need better rewards. Avatars and Home stuff. Most people don't care for that.

Should do a 'token scheme' where if you save up a certain amount of them, you can choose something for free.

Those rewards are temporary. She said the rewards right now are. So I'm assuming they will offer better ones after its out of beta.

-PXG-

Stumpokapow said:

Yep. Avatars and themes are crumby. Nothing substantial or worth caring about.

krae_man said:
I hope they make qualifying purchases retroactive. I've bought a crap load of PSN games, SCEA published games, and Sony Hardware:lol

You know damn well they won't.

distrbnce said:
What a bizarre place for your imagination to go with this. I would think it just reads what games you play like trophy info.

And not specifically directed at you, but jeeze, it takes some real cynics to turn some free shit into some sort of awful burden. Gaf amazes.

It's a business, I refuse to believe they're just handing out "freebies" and getting nothing out of it. It’s a tactic to get people to think “well if I buy this or take this survey, I’ll be at the next level and I’ll get a beta invitation or picture of a chocobo next to my name. Sick.”

only thing sounds cool is the free trip to CES 2011 :lol

but then again I probably would end up buying all kinds of shit that will end up paying for a trip to CES 2011 for myself anyways.

Phenomic

krae_man said:

Yeah, that needs to be something considered because if I can't count Two PS3s, One PSP, Over 45+ PS3 and PSP Titles I have on hand (not including the ones I've sold), 10 PSN Titles. I'm going to be severely disappoint.

Yes, I know they arn't going to count any of that... :lol

RedFalcon

Neo Member
Wow, I know it was just announced and it's free but these rewards ... well, they're not rewards. You figure they'd want to make more of an impact out of the gate by announcing rewards of more substance, e.g., discounts on PSN content, free rentals from the video store, etc.

distrbnce

Banned
ThingontheFloor said:
It's a business, I refuse to believe they're just handing out "freebies" and getting nothing out of it. It’s a tactic to get people to think “well if I buy this or take this survey, I’ll be at the next level and I’ll get a beta invitation or picture of a chocobo next to my name. Sick.”

It encourages activity in "their world". Like magazines giving subs away for free. It may convince someone to buy the PS version of a multi-platform release, and it's another perk of their free network.

According to this, as long as I continue to "play games" (which I intend to do), then I get this reward nonsense. How does that play into your evil doomsday strategy?

EDIT: "Business" is obviously more complicated than you're giving it credit for.

gogogow

Just like all of their programs, it sounds so vague. They should just adopt Nintendo's points system. Get points by buying Sony published games and go a step further; get points for getting a Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum trophy. Get points by participating in Home activities. You'll get a multiplier if you are a PS+ member etc. When you have enough points you can go to the PS Rewards store and select the reward you want.

AmericanNinja said:
Those rewards are temporary. She said the rewards right now are. So I'm assuming they will offer better ones after its out of beta.

Sony say stuff like that all the time. The rope us in with promises of a better future.

The best way to make people jump on board is to have good stuff out of the gate.

Top Bottom